• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SJPdP September 21,2016

M. McNabb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Okay, I finally committed to my first Camino (my family thinks I need to be committed, but that is another story) ; amid many mixed emotions. Excitement, apprehension, to mention two. I will be leaving Edmonton, Canada September 18th, flying first to Toronto and then to Paris and then on to Biarritz. After spending 10.5 hours in airports and 11.5 hours flying time, I have opted to spend the night in Biarritz. I will be continue my journey to SJPdP on the 20th by bus, train or taxi. Anyone else leaving Biarritz on the 20th? Do I need to book a place in St. Jean Pied de Port in advance? I will then continue on to Orisson where I have booked a bed for the 21st. I am very fortunate (and grateful) that I have at least 45 days and so will ease myself into my Camino very gradually. Any information regarding accommodations in STPdP would be much appreciated. Also anyone else walking around the same time?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have not committed myself yet to an exact date but will be starting no earlier than mid September. 57 year old from West London who will be taking his time and looking forward to it. Still researching what's a minimum I can get away with carrying but being realistic and not wanting to look like a tramp! :)
Will keep an eye on your post as keen to learn similar information.

Okay, I finally committed to my first Camino (my family thinks I need to be committed, but that is another story) ; amid many mixed emotions. Excitement, apprehension, to mention two. I will be leaving Edmonton, Canada September 18th, flying first to Toronto and then to Paris and then on to Biarritz. After spending 10.5 hours in airports and 11.5 hours flying time, I have opted to spend the night in Biarritz. I will be continue my journey to SJPdP on the 20th by bus, train or taxi. Anyone else leaving Biarritz on the 20th? Do I need to book a place in St. Jean Pied de Port in advance? I will then continue on to Orisson where I have booked a bed for the 21st. I am very fortunate (and grateful) that I have at least 45 days and so will ease myself into my Camino very gradually. Any information regarding accommodations in STPdP would be much appreciated. Also anyone else walking around the same time?
I have not committed myself yet to an exact date but will be starting no earlier than mid September. 57 year old from West London who will be taking his time and looking forward to it. Still researching what's a minimum I can get away with carrying but being realistic and not wanting to look like a tramp! :)
Will keep an eye on your post as keen to learn similar information.
Thanks Scarlet, know the feeling of getting organized. Have added and deleted items many times. I have followed some of the posts of the "seasoned" pilgrims regarding packing and trying to follow as close as possible with what pertains to me. Will go over the posts again I am sure. Still out on whether a rain poncho or rain jacket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Scarlet, know the feeling of getting organized. Have added and deleted items many times. I have followed some of the posts of the "seasoned" pilgrims regarding packing and trying to follow as close as possible with what pertains to me. Will go over the posts again I am sure. Still out on whether a rain poncho or rain jacket.
@M. McNabb
I shall be leaving Calgary on Sept. 13 and flying through Toronto and Paris to Pau in the south of France to begin my second camino at Oloron Ste Marie on the Voie d'Arles on Sept. 15. I shall be going on through the Camino Aragones to join the Camino Frances at Puente la Reina around when you might be expected to get there. We might meet en route at some point. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We will be staying in Orisson the night before you, so our paths may indeed cross along the way. Buen Camino! Karen and Dave
We will be staying in Orisson the night before you, so our paths may indeed cross along the way. Buen Camino! Karen and Dave
I will keep my eyes and ears open! Did you book a bed in SJPdP ? I really would like to know whether this is necessary or not. Buen Camino

my wife and I are travelling from Ontario Canada

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sorry got cut off we travel from Ontario arrive sjdp sept 21 and stay @orison sept 22 Hope to meet you on the trail
I am sure we will meet on the trail as I plan on taking it easy the first week. Look forward to meeting you both. Buen Camino

In will be traveling to Paris from Ontario on the 16th of September, arriving at St Jean on the evening of the 17th and starting my walk on the 18th... Which means I will be ahead of you by a couple of days, so chances are that we will meet some where along the way.

Buen Camino

Streuth looks like there may be the odd Canadian at that time of year.
I am also deliberating over the benefits of pancho and what type of waterproof coat to take as well. Speaking to experienced outdoor folk in the UK they have stated that good quality lightweight Paclite type Gortex coats are great for the weather but can be to frail to be worn regularly with backpack as the straps can damage the garment and affect its waterproofing which is what you pay for. Being encouraged to consider to consider still lightweight but good quality hydro shell type jacket. The design suggested has reinforced material etc around shoulders to combat straps etc.
I have trekked with stick and benefitted from it but not as yet with poles. Is this seriously worth considering for this mature has been of an athlete to stake the strain of the knees and ankles of this late 50's?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In will be traveling to Paris from Ontario on the 16th of September, arriving at St Jean on the evening of the 17th and starting my walk on the 18th... Which means I will be ahead of you by a couple of days, so chances are that we will meet some where along the way.

Buen Camino
Buen Camino! Looks like there will be a number of Canadians at this time

I am also deliberating over the benefits of pancho and what type of waterproof coat to take as well. Speaking to experienced outdoor folk in the UK they have stated that good quality lightweight Paclite type Gortex coats are great for the weather but can be to frail to be worn regularly with backpack as the straps can damage the garment and affect its waterproofing which is what you pay for. Being encouraged to consider to consider still lightweight but good quality hydro shell type jacket. The design suggested has reinforced material etc around shoulders to combat straps etc.
I have trekked with stick and benefitted from it but not as yet with poles. Is this seriously worth considering for this mature has been of an athlete to stake the strain of the knees and ankles of this late 50's?
Do not know the answer to that. I have been practicing with poles.

@Scarlet Fez
Try out poles if you like and think they might help your aging joints. I have always used a walking stick and continue to do so in my late 60's but this is not for everyone. As with all other gear, use what works for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This 59 year old will be leaving from Naverrete on 30th September for the next stage of my Camino. 12 days this time. Maybe some of you will have got that far by then.

I find walking with poles essential. There are a good few ups and downs in Navarre and Rioja, and a lot of uneven and rocky ground which can be treacherous and slippery when wet.

Poles used properly take a lot of weight off your knees and feet, and can really help with the uphill climbs.

I will keep my eyes and ears open! Did you book a bed in SJPdP ? I really would like to know whether this is necessary or not. Buen Camino

M. McNabb- we are flying to Madrid and thanks to information from this forum, will be spending the night of arrival at Corazon Puro and will be transported by them to SJPdP to start our Camino. Check for posts on SJPdP, I am sure you will find lots of tips on where to stay and if you need to make a reservation. Karen

M. McNabb- we are flying to Madrid and thanks to information from this forum, will be spending the night of arrival at Corazon Puro and will be transported by them to SJPdP to start our Camino. Check for posts on SJPdP, I am sure you will find lots of tips on where to stay and if you need to make a reservation. Karen

For more re Corazon Puro, the great service offered, and their web see this earlier Forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-corazon-puro-experience.25878/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This 59 year old will be leaving from Naverrete on 30th September for the next stage of my Camino. 12 days this time. Maybe some of you will have got that far by then.

I find walking with poles essential. There are a good few ups and downs in Navarre and Rioja, and a lot of uneven and rocky ground which can be treacherous and slippery when wet.

Poles used properly take a lot of weight off your knees and feet, and can really help with the uphill climbs.
Don't know if I have figured out to use them properly or not yet but take them with me on my training walks. Maybe we will meet up, Buen Camino

I have done some checking, just debating on reservation or not

Buen Camino
It is possible we meet up somewhere! Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seeing you folk are going to walking about the same time as me once I get my act together. Hearing different opinions about various things, but at the moment am likely to take very lightweight sleeping bag to ensure at least I sleep well. Likely to be mid if not late October before I finish so think this would be a sensible option. With that in mind and to carry all my kit within backpack was looking at getting a 55 litre job to comfortably have room to spare for the odd things like food on the road each day.
I know a lot of these topics are discussed elsewhere but actually talking to folk who will be encountering these decisions for the same period makes it more real.
Before anyone asks I can't commit to exact date yet due to personal and family logistics that shall we say are fluid. Even so more exited about doing it than a kid at Xmas and more nervous about taking it on then when I did my one and only parachute jump.
Buen Camino.

Seeing you folk are going to walking about the same time as me once I get my act together. Hearing different opinions about various things, but at the moment am likely to take very lightweight sleeping bag to ensure at least I sleep well. Likely to be mid if not late October before I finish so think this would be a sensible option. With that in mind and to carry all my kit within backpack was looking at getting a 55 litre job to comfortably have room to spare for the odd things like food on the road each day.
I know a lot of these topics are discussed elsewhere but actually talking to folk who will be encountering these decisions for the same period makes it more real.
Before anyone asks I can't commit to exact date yet due to personal and family logistics that shall we say are fluid. Even so more exited about doing it than a kid at Xmas and more nervous about taking it on then when I did my one and only parachute jump.
Buen Camino.

@Scarlet Fez
I shall be walking at about the same time and walked October to mid-November last year. I agree that a lightweight sleeping bag is a very good idea; I change my mid-weight bag to a lighter one for my upcoming camino. Do you have warm garments that you can sleep in if the lightweight bag is not warm enough? I am very happy with my new merino wool longjohns and long sleeved merino wool top for wearing in cooler weather, day or night. They are lighter than the comparable garments I took last year. I use a 40 l. backpack and find this sufficient for my gear and clothing needs plus food. Unless you need a lot of camping gear for some reason, I would not recommend a bag larger than this. It would be heavy to carry and there might be problems if you want to take it on the airplane as carry-on luggage. Have fun preparing for your walk. Buen camino.

Buen Camino.
You nailed my emotional roller coaster to a tee. Sometimes wish I had just done it on an impulse; ignorance is bliss???? However, I have been walking and took my feet for an extra long walk yesterday and my little toe was not happy. Good to figure all this out before I go. I too bought a 53 l. bag and and a lightweight sleeping bag but maybe the size is overkill after reading the next post from albertagirl. Good luck with all the planning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Scarlet Fez
I shall be walking at about the same time and walked October to mid-November last year. I agree that a lightweight sleeping bag is a very good idea; I change my mid-weight bag to a lighter one for my upcoming camino. Do you have warm garments that you can sleep in if the lightweight bag is not warm enough? I am very happy with my new merino wool longjohns and long sleeved merino wool top for wearing in cooler weather, day or night. They are lighter than the comparable garments I took last year. I use a 40 l. backpack and find this sufficient for my gear and clothing needs plus food. Unless you need a lot of camping gear for some reason, I would not recommend a bag larger than this. It would be heavy to carry and there might be problems if you want to take it on the airplane as carry-on luggage. Have fun preparing for your walk. Buen camino.
Thanks for the input on the backpack. Seeing as my still has the tags on it (it is a 53l) I think I will go back to MEC and check out a 40l. Do you take 2 sets of clothing, pants, shorts, tops etc? I do not want to overkill but have this fear of not having enough. Another lesson the Camino will teach me I am sure.

Thanks for the input on the backpack. Seeing as my still has the tags on it (it is a 53l) I think I will go back to MEC and check out a 40l. Do you take 2 sets of clothing, pants, shorts, tops etc? I do not want to overkill but have this fear of not having enough. Another lesson the Camino will teach me I am sure.
@M. McNabb
I think that I probably take more clothes than most experienced walkers, so refer to packing lists offered in the Camino Resources section of the forum or finish your list then post it with a request for comments. But to answer your question: I take one pair of zip off walking trousers, but I never find myself zipping them off. However, they have various advantages over regular pants, such as a zippered inner pocket for security and a soft lining inside the top of the trousers which can prevent discomfort from the backpack waist belt. Take with you to MEC what you were thinking of wearing as walking trousers and ask for advice, but settle on what is comfortable for you, is quick drying, and seems sturdy enough for the trip. I have two short-sleeved merino wool base layers for daily wear, turn about, three pairs of Tilley underpants (they dry very quickly and are comfortable for me), one loose long-sleeved shirt to wear over the base layer, a Tilley hat, two brassieres, and two sets of socks - inner and outer. I have a Tilley walking skirt, which I generally change into in the evenings after my shower, but I can also walk in. For warmth, I have a lightweight long-sleeved merino wool shirt and long johns and an extra pair of soft wool socks, for day or night wear, depending on the weather. For nightwear in hot weather, I have a lightweight cotton t-shirt and boxer style shorts.
I have a 260 weight Icebreaker merino wool hoodie as an outer layer for cold, a lightweight rain jacket for rain or wind or just to keep cozy over the hoodie in the evening chill and a pair of gloves, for those cold mornings on the trail. I carry a poncho to go over my backpack in the rain. You can see that my style is rather like yours, with nothing left out that I think I might need. However, for my walk this fall I have left out a fleece vest which I took last year. I did use it for evening wear in cool weather, but the long-sleeved merino shirt should provide extra warmth when I need it. To plan your clothing, consider two sets of garments plus what you need for warmth and dryness. Look in your closet for what you have which is serviceable, quick drying, comfortable and lightweight. Make sure that your socks go well with a set of suitable well broken in footwear. Unless your budget is unlimited, you probably won't want to buy everything new for your camino. Try to avoid cotton, as it holds moisture and is slow drying. Be different and try not to obsess over your packing list. Buen camino.

I also will be walking until end of October, first week of November is hopefully a week to reflect and enjoy some Spanish hospitality. I wi
@M. McNabb
I think that I probably take more clothes than most experienced walkers, so refer to packing lists offered in the Camino Resources section of the forum or finish your list then post it with a request for comments. But to answer your question: I take one pair of zip off walking trousers, but I never find myself zipping them off. However, they have various advantages over regular pants, such as a zippered inner pocket for security and a soft lining inside the top of the trousers which can prevent discomfort from the backpack waist belt. Take with you to MEC what you were thinking of wearing as walking trousers and ask for advice, but settle on what is comfortable for you, is quick drying, and seems sturdy enough for the trip. I have two short-sleeved merino wool base layers for daily wear, turn about, three pairs of Tilley underpants (they dry very quickly and are comfortable for me), one loose long-sleeved shirt to wear over the base layer, a Tilley hat, two brassieres, and two sets of socks - inner and outer. I have a Tilley walking skirt, which I generally change into in the evenings after my shower, but I can also walk in. For warmth, I have a lightweight long-sleeved merino wool shirt and long johns and an extra pair of soft wool socks, for day or night wear, depending on the weather. For nightwear in hot weather, I have a lightweight cotton t-shirt and boxer style shorts.
I have a 260 weight Icebreaker merino wool hoodie as an outer layer for cold, a lightweight rain jacket for rain or wind or just to keep cozy over the hoodie in the evening chill and a pair of gloves, for those cold mornings on the trail. I carry a poncho to go over my backpack in the rain. You can see that my style is rather like yours, with nothing left out that I think I might need. However, for my walk this fall I have left out a fleece vest which I took last year. I did use it for evening wear in cool weather, but the long-sleeved merino shirt should provide extra warmth when I need it. To plan your clothing, consider two sets of garments plus what you need for warmth and dryness. Look in your closet for what you have which is serviceable, quick drying, comfortable and lightweight. Make sure that your socks go well with a set of suitable well broken in footwear. Unless your budget is unlimited, you probably won't want to buy everything new for your camino. Try to avoid cotton, as it holds moisture and is slow drying. Be different and try not to obsess over your packing list. Buen camino.
Thank you for your information. Unfortunately I do not have much in my closet that is not cotton or heavier so I have been purchasing merino wool. As I have never done this before, basically everything needed to be purchased. Tour list is very helpful and I will cross check with what I have. When I am done, I will post it and ask for comments and suggestions. I am really hoping to have this wrapped up by month end. Thanks again

Now I am not a big unit, 6'0" and 90 kilos so the few clothes I intend to take will be a little longer than some on here of the fairer sex, hard to visualise exactly what you can fit into it until you've got it in front of you. Always prefer to have a little room to spare than having loads of kit strapped to it. Good fitting hip straps are a MUST no matter what size you opt for.
Never been known to travel light even skiing so must be ruthless. It's not as if we are going to Mars, items required can be purchased along the route as and when required.
A mate did it in April/May similar age, fitness and mentality. After a few days he was in a queue at the post office posting 1.5K of stuff home.
Now his pack fully loaded was down to 10k but he had an oversized but comfortable pack 65L.
I have heard some fully kitten are 7.5K which seems very streamlined.
Hey ho trial and error I suppose, best I change and not like Bridget Jones get rid of my big pants.

Now I am not a big unit, 6'0" and 90 kilos so the few clothes I intend to take will be a little longer than some on here of the fairer sex, hard to visualise exactly what you can fit into it until you've got it in front of you. Always prefer to have a little room to spare than having loads of kit strapped to it. Good fitting hip straps are a MUST no matter what size you opt for.
Never been known to travel light even skiing so must be ruthless. It's not as if we are going to Mars, items required can be purchased along the route as and when required.
A mate did it in April/May similar age, fitness and mentality. After a few days he was in a queue at the post office posting 1.5K of stuff home.
Now his pack fully loaded was down to 10k but he had an oversized but comfortable pack 65L.
I have heard some fully kitten are 7.5K which seems very streamlined.
Hey ho trial and error I suppose, best I change and not like Bridget Jones get rid of my big pants.
Oh, yes, us "newbies" are in for quite a trial and error I'm sure!!! Although I am not a fashion statement it is hard to believe the same ole, same ole, for that length of time! But then, everybody will be doing the same thing, Time to sot my stuff again and have my sister come over and be "ruthless!" Happy packing all

We are also leaving from STJPdP on the 21st! Our second CAmino following on last years Portuguese Camino: Lisbon to Santiago to Finisterre. So looking forward to it! Didn't meet any Canadians at all last year. Sounds like a plephora of us leaving on the same day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are also leaving from STJPdP on the 21st! Our second CAmino following on last years Portuguese Camino: Lisbon to Santiago to Finisterre. So looking forward to it! Didn't meet any Canadians at all last year. Sounds like a plephora of us leaving on the same day!
Love your excitement and look forward to meeting you. I still have many mixed emotions; just have never done anything like this before. Have you pre booked inSTPdP? Once I leave Orisson I will follow my inner body as to were I stop but want to get a good start.

Love your excitement and look forward to meeting you. I still have many mixed emotions; just have never done anything like this before. Have you pre booked inSTPdP? Once I leave Orisson I will follow my inner body as to were I stop but want to get a good start.
That should read after I leave Roncesvalles, I will march to the beat of my inner self.!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was gorgeous. Mostly warm, a few 'crisp' mornings, the Meseta all golden and dry, and then you come upon the Bierzo like a chocolate box of green and colours.

And it works well because you are getting nearer Santiago, but the season is getting quieter, so the two kind of balance out.

It was gorgeous. Mostly warm, a few 'crisp' mornings, the Meseta all golden and dry, and then you come upon the Bierzo like a chocolate box of green and colours.

And it works well because you are getting nearer Santiago, but the season is getting quieter, so the two kind of balance out.
Oh thank you, good to hear

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes we have pre booked. We leave August 22 and will travel in Italy before hitting the trail. We absolutely loved it last year and like you I had very mixed emotions but soon loved the easy rhythm of walking in mostly beautiful places.

Yes we have pre booked. We leave August 22 and will travel in Italy before hitting the trail. We absolutely loved it last year and like you I had very mixed emotions but soon loved the easy rhythm of walking in mostly beautiful places.
Great to hear. Enjoy Italy, a beautiful place. Buen Camino

@Scarlet Fez
Do you take a knife of sorts; then carry on wouldn't work?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Comforting words there by notion900 which just wets the appetite further. M.M as for taking a knife, never tell the devil your plans but I do not intend to be sleeping out with a view of the stars. That being said to accomadate the eating of food from containers, tins, or even making a simple sandwich etc I intend to take my trusted hard plastic spork. Metal knife as you say is a no no at airport. Should it become a useful tool I'm sure a cheap penknife can be purchased somewhere locally.
My plans before then are not getting any less complicated so in and around your starting date is becoming a distinct possibility. Buen Camino

Comforting words there by notion900 which just wets the appetite further. M.M as for taking a knife, never tell the devil your plans but I do not intend to be sleeping out with a view of the stars. That being said to accomadate the eating of food from containers, tins, or even making a simple sandwich etc I intend to take my trusted hard plastic spork. Metal knife as you say is a no no at airport. Should it become a useful tool I'm sure a cheap penknife can be purchased somewhere locally.
My plans before then are not getting any less complicated so in and around your starting date is becoming a distinct possibility. Buen Camino
Thanks and good luck with the plans.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It might not be necessary, but I booked a private room at Gite Izaxulo for September 10, just to ease my mind. I figure there will be enough bunk beds along the way, so with jet lag, etc., I wanted to start off rested and refreshed the next day.

I'll be arriving in SJPdP on Sept 16, staying at Beilari that night and then taking off the next day... so we may meet along the Camino, M.McNabb, et al. I'll keep my ears open for a gang of Canadians on my heels.

I want to reguster in. New member Barbara Kiwi from NZ. Love to walk with the Canadians. A daughter in Toronto!
I start stjpdp on Sat 10th Sept. Excited and a little nervous. Love this forum.

We will pass each other as you go to SJPdP from Bayonne I will be on the train heading to the airport from SJPdP :) I aim to get to St Jean around the 16th of September having completed the Le Puy chemin. If anyone wants to catch up in St Jean before they head off on their pilgrimage that would be cool :) I did the Frances in 2014.
Buen Camino to you all, you will have an amazing journey. Enjoy every moment!

We will pass each other as you go to SJPdP from Bayonne I will be on the train heading to the airport from SJPdP :) I aim to get to St Jean around the 16th of September having completed the Le Puy chemin. If anyone wants to catch up in St Jean before they head off on their pilgrimage that would be cool :) I did the Frances in 2014.
Buen Camino to you all, you will have an amazing journey. Enjoy every moment!
Thank you, I will be arriving in St. Jean on the 20th so do not know if our paths will cross

€46,-
I want to reguster in. New member Barbara Kiwi from NZ. Love to walk with the Canadians. A daughter in Toronto!
I start stjpdp on Sat 10th Sept. Excited and a little nervous. Love this forum.
Thanks for the love of Canadians; I have done tours with the Kiwis and the feeling is totally given back in return. Unfortunately, you will be about 10 days ahead of me. I also am nervous enough, and excited as well. I am sure we will settle in after a few days. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We're walking out of St Jean on Sept.22nd. Plan to make it to Roncevalles on the first day, so we'll be there when you're there. Save us a bed if you get there first lol :)
Counting down the days now!!! - Cheers, Julian and Antoinette...

We're walking out of St Jean on Sept.22nd. Plan to make it to Roncevalles on the first day, so we'll be there when you're there. Save us a bed if you get there first lol :)
Counting down the days now!!! - Cheers, Julian and Antoinette...
You will probably still be there before me!!!! I will be looking forward to meeting you both! Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be starting out from SJPDP on the 21st of September as well. We are taking the train from Paris on the 20th and staying at Itzalpea for the night. When I made reservations at Itzalpea, I found that a lot of places in the center were already full. We will also be staying in Orisson. I guess we will see you there!
So excited!!!

Buen Camino, I left St Jean on the 21st in 2013 about to return for my third Camino on Sept. 1st have a great trip and be ready for a life changing time. My family still thinks I am nuts....

You're two days behind me. I leave SJPdP on September 19 - am booked in at Orrison :)

Hi I will be leaving US on Sep 11 have a little over 5 weeks for the Camino, excited, but now spending too much time trying to decide what I really need to bring. Being it is Mid Sep to mid/late Oct. I hate to be hot, so I picked this time, just hope it doesn't get cold. I am from California so used to great weather Sep/Oct. I am so ready to be disconnected from the day to day world, especially with the elections in the US now. Hope to see you on the Camino.

<<especially with the elections in the US now>>

I suspect there's small chance of that. Even back in May it was a hot topic.

<<especially with the elections in the US now>>

I suspect there's small chance of that. Even back in May it was a hot topic.

I will avoid those conversations, thanks for letting me know. I am going through changes in my life, and I am ready for the changes whatever that will be, that the Camino adds. So my focus is clearing my internal template. My family and friends are all supportive of me doing this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I am leaving Edmonton on Aug 24, and have all the same emotions as you do. I am taking 40 days for the same reason, have a wonderful Camino.

Hi MM, I'm leaving from Montreal on September 18, going through Toronto and on to Madrid. I might see you at Pearson. Then I make my way to SJPP. I'm not sure if I will be leaving SJPP on the 20 or the 21st, but I'll be in and about at that time.

I'm easy to spot, I have a bright orange backpack with a small Canadian flag on the back. Hope to see you all on the way to Santiago!

Hi MM, I'm leaving from Montreal on September 18, going through Toronto and on to Madrid. I might see you at Pearson. Then I make my way to SJPP. I'm not sure if I will be leaving SJPP on the 20 or the 21st, but I'll be in and about at that time.

I'm easy to spot, I have a bright orange backpack with a small Canadian flag on the back. Hope to see you all on the way to Santiago!
That is awesome!!! We just may cross paths at Pearson. I am sure our paths will meet at some point in time, whether SJPdP or a little further along the way. My backpack (at the moment) is purple but will go back to Mountain Equipment Coop tomorrow just to make sure the fit is correct; second guessing now!!May just need some help with adjustments. Want to start walking with it this week. Am looking forward to meeting everyone who is making the journey at this time. Buen Camino

€60,-
Hi I will be leaving US on Sep 11 have a little over 5 weeks for the Camino, excited, but now spending too much time trying to decide what I really need to bring. Being it is Mid Sep to mid/late Oct. I hate to be hot, so I picked this time, just hope it doesn't get cold. I am from California so used to great weather Sep/Oct. I am so ready to be disconnected from the day to day world, especially with the elections in the US now. Hope to see you on the Camino.
I hope you have a great camino and enjoy getting disconnected. I hope my preparations will be adequate and then look forward to get into the rhythm of walking and meeting fellow pilgrims. I will admit, even as a Canadian, I do watch a fair amount of all the "noise" around your elections. Hope we do indeed meet up. Buen Camino

Hi, I am leaving Edmonton on Aug 24, and have all the same emotions as you do. I am taking 40 days for the same reason, have a wonderful Camino.
I am sure we will not meet on the way, but am happy to understand a fellow Edmontonian is venturing out. Happy a safe and enjoyable camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will avoid those conversations, thanks for letting me know. I am going through changes in my life, and I am ready for the changes whatever that will be, that the Camino adds. So my focus is clearing my internal template. My family and friends are all supportive of me doing this.
Can clearly relate to clearing the internal template and being open to whatever the camino will bring me and teach me.

Buen Camino, I left St Jean on the 21st in 2013 about to return for my third Camino on Sept. 1st have a great trip and be ready for a life changing time. My family still thinks I am nuts....
Buen Camino. I am very interested to see what keeps drawing people to return to camino life many times.

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be starting out from SJPDP on the 21st of September as well. We are taking the train from Paris on the 20th and staying at Itzalpea for the night. When I made reservations at Itzalpea, I found that a lot of places in the center were already full. We will also be staying in Orisson. I guess we will see you there!
So excited!!!
That is wonderful!!! I am looking forward to meeting so many new people all with a common goal, even though they may for very different reasons.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be arriving in SJPdP on Sept 16, staying at Beilari that night and then taking off the next day... so we may meet along the Camino, M.McNabb, et al. I'll keep my ears open for a gang of Canadians on my heels.
Have a wonderful camino

Buen Camino. I am very interested to see what keeps drawing people to return to camino life many times.

Before I walked the Camino I often wondered this myself too.

The first time I got to Roncesvalles (from Geneva) I met a pilgrim who was on his 5th Camino, I asked him why walk again and he answered "because some of us need to walk more than once to become a good pilgrim"

A few days later we bumped into Anita. Anita is 76 and from Belgium (and had walked from Belgium). She has been walking for 8 years, she goes 'home' twice a year. I asked her why and she said "because of you". She told us that 8 years ago her husband died, later she decided to walk the Camino to sort things out in her mind, who she was, without her partner now. She carried on walking. She said she lived alone in an apartment, nobody ever spoke to her, her family live very far away. On Camino she said "now I live in the best family in the world." Now she is at home. And she is very fit, healthy in mind and body, and very happy.

These are just a few reasons, but I agree with both of them. And when I am asked why I walk again my answer is also 'because of you'.

Davey

Before I walked the Camino I often wondered this myself too.

The first time I got to Roncesvalles (from Geneva) I met a pilgrim who was on his 5th Camino, I asked him why walk again and he answered "because some of us need to walk more than once to become a good pilgrim"

A few days later we bumped into Anita. Anita is 76 and from Belgium (and had walked from Belgium). She has been walking for 8 years, she goes 'home' twice a year. I asked her why and she said "because of you". She told us that 8 years ago her husband died, later she decided to walk the Camino to sort things out in her mind, who she was, without her partner now. She carried on walking. She said she lived alone in an apartment, nobody ever spoke to her, her family live very far away. On Camino she said "now I live in the best family in the world." Now she is at home. And she is very fit, healthy in mind and body, and very happy.

These are just a few reasons, but I agree with both of them. And when I am asked why I walk again my answer is also 'because of you'.

Davey
Amazing , and am looking forward to understanding it for myself. Thank you

Can clearly relate to clearing the internal template and being open to whatever the camino will bring me and teach me.
I like many am at a crossroads in my life and can can relate to what are hoping to get from the Camino experience. In short, sort my head out and look positively to the future where ever that will take me.
Question to those who will be travelling around the same time, whilst trying to gauge kit etc to take, weight and volume etc it dawned on me do I need to include a towel? Would I be presumptuous in thinking where ever you stay a towel will be supplied or is that wishful thinking?
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like many am at a crossroads in my life and can can relate to what are hoping to get from the Camino experience. In short, sort my head out and look positively to the future where ever that will take me.
Question to those who will be travelling around the same time, whilst trying to gauge kit etc to take, weight and volume etc it dawned on me do I need to include a towel? Would I be presumptuous in thinking where ever you stay a towel will be supplied or is that wishful thinking?
Buen Camino

If you plan to stay in pilgrim albergues a towel will NOT be supplied. Hence many pilgrims carry a sports towel. See this earlier Forum thread re various towel choices.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-towels-in-albergues.38601/

Good luck and Buen camino!

Still no date yet but to show commitment to the cause and my ambition just spent the best part of today in the centre of London in various 'outdoor' shops trying out various weighted backpacks for comfort, I thought find finding a good fitting pair of ski boots was hard enough. Finally settled for an Osprey Atmos in brown/orange which will mean nothing to the majority of the readers of this thread who are from the other side of the pond. Truth be known meant nothing to me until I entered the shop.

Still no date yet but to show commitment to the cause and my ambition just spent the best part of today in the centre of London in various 'outdoor' shops trying out various weighted backpacks for comfort, I thought find finding a good fitting pair of ski boots was hard enough. Finally settled for an Osprey Atmos in brown/orange which will mean nothing to the majority of the readers of this thread who are from the other side of the pond. Truth be known meant nothing to me until I entered the shop.

Good choice in rucksack Scarlet Fez, now to start your training! I use and swear by Osprey too. Their service/lifetime guarantee is second to none, if it fails in ANY way they will replace it quickly and without fuss. But on the contrary, our cousins across the pond know all about Osprey packs, as Osprey is a US company. I was mistaken for a yank a few times because of my Osprey. Until I opened my gob that is. In fact we used to have fun trying to guess the nationalities of pilgrims by their equipment!

Buen Camino
Davey

Oh yes, we are group of "newbie pilgrims" , many of us at crossroads in our life, and are hoping the Camino will help us find our way. I do believe a towel is a must

I use a shemagh (arab scarf). During hot days it is on the outside of my pack to wipe away sweat. I use it as a picnic blanket too. In the evenings it is my towel (it dries very quickly) and as a screen on my bunk. Personally I don't like the feel of sports towels and a shemagh is light and cheaper too.

Davey

Davey, suitably embarrassed re Osprey being a U.S. Company.
Don't know if you follow rugby but I'm a Scarlets rugby supporter so buying a product with Ospreys all over it with goes against the grain. Seems a quality product though I have to consede. Might have to attach a Scarlets patch on it in a prominent place. More than happy to take tips on best packing practises for the pack.

Davey, suitably embarrassed re Osprey being a U.S. Company.
Don't know if you follow rugby but I'm a Scarlets rugby supporter so buying a product with Ospreys all over it with goes against the grain. Seems a quality product though I have to consede. Might have to attach a Scarlets patch on it in a prominent place. More than happy to take tips on best packing practises for the pack.

Hi Scarlet Fez

There are plenty of threads on here on packing tips, have a look with the search function. When you think you have got your packing list sorted post a new thread with your list and many people will give you advice on what to cull or to add. Also, it depends on the route you propose to take and the time of year you will walk.

Davey

I too spent the afternoon at my new favourite store, dragging my brother along for a second opinion. I have been second guessing my 53l backpack after reading all the information on the different forums. So went to try out a smaller one, a 38l made by the same company. after walking around the store for a half hour taking turns with each, filled with some weights I could still not decide. Also, the store is not the same as some of the trails in the river valley. I really want to start walking with my pack and all it will have. After finding out I could return one after trying them out on my walks , that is what I did. Now, I have about 7-10 days to try them both and hopefully make an informed decision.

After reading the messages above, I thought to speak on pack or as some of you call bags. Also a good pocket knife. If you plan on continuing to use your pack in the future a bit larger size 45 liter to 65 liter max . You can use if you decide to try backcountry stays were you need shelter & food. I carried a 48 liter on the Camino. I use it for short stays in the wilderness. I will carry it again when I return to do either Madrid or Portugese routes.
I found a folding 3" serrated knife the best for the Camino, you should be able to find once you arrive. Only once a plain blade would have been best when I assisted a young Spanish guy dress a deer that he had hit with his car. No reason to have the meat spoil.
I wish you all Buen Camino
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi All,

Looking forward greatly to starting my Camino journey and hopefully meeting some of you along the way. The continued tips, advise encouragement on the forum are a huge source of motivation and inspiration! I've been quietly visiting the forum over the last few weeks, and thought I would take this opportunity to say hi!

I arrive in SJPDP on 14th Sept and plan to stay in Orisson on the 15th (hopefully!). I'm hugely excited, but a little bit scared at the thought of walking all the way to Finisterre! Going to take it one step at a time...

Will be great to share the experience with my fellow pilgrims!

Lorraine

Welcome Lorimar, I to am a Camino Newbie will be doing it very much around the title of this thread if not a little earlier. Dates to be confirmed. Yep nervous as hell as although I have been putting the mileage in preparation it is hard to replicate how angry my body will be after such a physical test on it. Especially the fist day or two as I gather that those stages will be like a baptism of fire with the uphill trudge and body complaint about this pack I'm carrying.
I for one will be taking it easy and listen to my body, even recently after a couple of hours trekking I find I get aching around the base of my toes on my right foot. I am convinced this is as a result of an old injury and operation (Chevron osteotomy) and something else and is blood circulation based. Found that when this ache starts normally time to have 10 minutes rest, for drink etc, boot and sock off a bit of foot massage. Normally does the trick but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned how my foot will hold up. I am not getting any younger, though I accept many older than me do this in their sleep. Have heard from friends who have done it that it is not uncommon for some pilgrims to have the odd day rest in suitable locations to rest and recover.

After reading the messages above, I thought to speak on pack or as some of you call bags. Also a good pocket knife. If you plan on continuing to use your pack in the future a bit larger size 45 liter to 65 liter max . You can use if you decide to try backcountry stays were you need shelter & food. I carried a 48 liter on the Camino. I use it for short stays in the wilderness. I will carry it again when I return to do either Madrid or Portugese routes.
I found a folding 3" serrated knife the best for the Camino, you should be able to find once you arrive. Only once a plain blade would have been best when I assisted a young Spanish guy dress a deer that he had hit with his car. No reason to have the meat spoil.
I wish you all Buen Camino
Keith
Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate any and all information.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All,

Looking forward greatly to starting my Camino journey and hopefully meeting some of you along the way. The continued tips, advise encouragement on the forum are a huge source of motivation and inspiration! I've been quietly visiting the forum over the last few weeks, and thought I would take this opportunity to say hi!

I arrive in SJPDP on 14th Sept and plan to stay in Orisson on the 15th (hopefully!). I'm hugely excited, but a little bit scared at the thought of walking all the way to Finisterre! Going to take it one step at a time...

Will be great to share the experience with my fellow pilgrims!

Lorraine
You will be a week ahead of me for sure; I relate to your feelings of excitement and apprehension. I wish you a safe and buen camino.

Good to see so many excited newbies! All will be well, rest assured.

My personal packing tips:
  • Choose a backpack that will pass as hand luggage: Not possible to overpack, and no waiting for it in the airports; no loss of your pack.
  • If I know I need it, the item will go into my pack. If I think I need it, it stays home.
  • Knives, poles, etc. can be bought in Spain.
Edit: The first day from SJPdP to RV is the hardest day of the whole Camino: It is a good idea to relax in Orrison, in order not to create blisters and worse at the very start. But by all means, if you are fit for it, go for it.

Last edited:
@alexwalker
You make a good distinction when one checks a bag vs carry on to determine the size of pack to purchase. If one ends up checking the bag as I did make sure you put it in a duffle bag as my duffle bag was like Swiss cheese with so many holes I trashed it once arriving in Biaritze. Then picked up another duffle bag in Madrid for the return trip.
The only real positive of checking is you can bring poles/knife from home. I understand why so many carry on the smaller packs as they do force new walkers to carry the minimum. That is never a bad thing.

€60,-
Welcome Lorimar, I to am a Camino Newbie will be doing it very much around the title of this thread if not a little earlier. Dates to be confirmed. Yep nervous as hell as although I have been putting the mileage in preparation it is hard to replicate how angry my body will be after such a physical test on it. Especially the fist day or two as I gather that those stages will be like a baptism of fire with the uphill trudge and body complaint about this pack I'm carrying.
I for one will be taking it easy and listen to my body, even recently after a couple of hours trekking I find I get aching around the base of my toes on my right foot. I am convinced this is as a result of an old injury and operation (Chevron osteotomy) and something else and is blood circulation based. Found that when this ache starts normally time to have 10 minutes rest, for drink etc, boot and sock off a bit of foot massage. Normally does the trick but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned how my foot will hold up. I am not getting any younger, though I accept many older than me do this in their sleep. Have heard from friends who have done it that it is not uncommon for some pilgrims to have the odd day rest in suitable locations to rest and recover.

• Choose a backpack that will pass as hand luggage: Not possible to overpack, and no waiting for it in the airports; no loss of your pack.
  • If I know I need it, the item will go into my pack. If I think I need it, it stays home.
Edit: The first day from SJPdP to RV is the hardest day of the whole Camino: It is a good idea to relax in Orrison, in order not to create blisters and worse at the very start. But by all means, if you are fit for it, go for it.
I seem to have the same problem with the base of toes on my right foot too! How strange. I do the same thing, walk, rest, walk; may get to RV after everyone has been fed, watered and bedded down for the night.!!! It will all work out. The personal packing tip is excellent, unfortunately too late for me. I have bought my walking poles and been using them (or trying too) for about 4 weeks now. Have even named them, so guess they will be part of my luggage. I need to make it to RV, after that it will be whatever, whenever works. Looking forward to that.Good tip on needing, or thinking needing; will try to keep that in mind.

Thanks, we are an excited bunch of newbies for sure!!! Was telling my sister today there is a Fraternity of Newbies and we are trying to gather all this information from the graduating class!! I for one am very grateful. Also, am looking forward to meeting some of the Fraternity in person hopefully.

@alexwalker
You make a good distinction when one checks a bag vs carry on to determine the size of pack to purchase. If one ends up checking the bag as I did make sure you put it in a duffle bag as my duffle bag was like Swiss cheese with so many holes I trashed it once arriving in Biaritze. Then picked up another duffle bag in Madrid for the return trip.
The only real positive of checking is you can bring poles/knife from home. I understand why so many carry on the smaller packs as they do force new walkers to carry the minimum. That is never a bad thing.
Thanks for that information, duffel bag on the list.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One should be aware that Spain is a highly civilized country, and all you need/forgot can easily be bought along the way. The most common, though, is that the first days you will find lots of items left in the albergues, for the taking, by previous pilgrims who (highly) needed to lighten their packs :) In one albergue there was a sign above a big, open chest: "Leave what you don't need; take what you want". :)

F.ex. I go to Burgos end of this month to start walking: I have only 2 pairs of socks, bc after 2 daysfrom Burgos, I arrive in Castrojeriz: There is a small shop near the municipal albergue, at the far end of town, that sells the most perfect walking socks I have ever used: Never found that quality and durability in Norway (!). Will buy me 2 pairs and throw away one of my existing pairs that are not same quality.

Excuse my ignorance in relation to putting your pack in a duffel bag for carriage in the hold on flight. Is this a bag you then chuck on arrival? Is it a special bag for this purpose? Was going to ask what is the best way to protect your pack for the hold, namely securing straps etc. Knowing how baggage is handled at airports would fear the worst on condition it would end up in.

Excuse my ignorance in relation to putting your pack in a duffel bag for carriage in the hold on flight. Is this a bag you then chuck on arrival? Is it a special bag for this purpose? Was going to ask what is the best way to protect your pack for the hold, namely securing straps etc. Knowing how baggage is handled at airports would fear the worst on condition it would end up in.
@Scarlet Fez
I did not make the original suggestion on this thread, but I did use a plastic duffel bag to check in my bag on my return trip to Canada. I bought a bag of the appropriate size and a roll of broad tape at one of the China stores in Finisterre. At the airport, I put my backpack in the bag, wrapped it with tape to prevent it from catching in the handling machinery at the airport, with the handles only out, affixed a name and address tag and checked it through. There was another tag fastened to the pack inside the duffel, in case the duffel was shredded. It came through fine and when I removed the tape at home the duffel was completely undamaged. I may do this on my way home from my camino this fall, but I prefer not to check my pack on my way to the camino, as it is impossible to know when or if it will arrive. I shall pack carefully and take my pack as carry-on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That was me, so to clarify I had an old used duffle bag I had for 10 years at least so it was nothing of much value, something I would have left in a donation pile at a alburgue as it had shoulder straps as well. It was one of my army canvas duffle bags. So it was sturdy but it took the brunt of whatever machinery chewed thru it saved me having to replace my entire kit as you folks call it.
The duffle I found in a bag shop in Madrid with a simple zipper big enough for me to have crawled into but it was like 14E so I figured it was worth it. It was untouched so I am saving it for the next trip.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back