• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Soon ?

Angel-hart

Time of past OR future Camino
April, May 2016
To all of those leaving On or near April o1:
My Girlfriend and I had a wonderful Camino last year leaving on 01April last year. We thought in hind site it was one of the best times to start. Cool weather, rain at times yes but still would do it the same time, met an interesting group of "April Fools" as we dubbed ourselves.

A. Don't worry about which route, take the advice of the office at SJPP. It works
B. The route is very well marked. Camino Frances Its the best marked route.
C. The people in the Albergues, Pensions, and Hostels are fresh and ready to meet you.
D. If your not in peak shape for the trip? Again don't worry(you will be doing fine 2-3 weeks into it), walk at your pace, stop, see, visit, and relate to the wonderful people of Spain. We ended up walking over 800 miles or 1290 kilometers by our end date in Spain.

Above All: "Let(allow) The Camino Provide" - It will

Much success and great trips to you this 2017 Camino. We hope to be on a Camino in Spain next year.

Deb and Rob
Age Age
65 66

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you so much @Angel-hart. Your thread came at a perfect time to add to my excitement and calm a few jitters. I'm really looking forward to a 2 April start from SJPdP. Packing at the moment or rather shuffling and weighing little piles of stuff spread all over the lounge room floor. I'm trying not to pack too many fears. I do however, have four pairs of socks and can't seem to reduce that number! :D:p:D:p:D:p

My Girlfriend and I had a wonderful Camino last year leaving on 01April last year. We thought in hind site it was one of the best times to start. Cool weather, rain at times yes but still would do it the same time, met an interesting group of "April Fools" as we dubbed ourselves.

A. Don't worry about which route, take the advice of the office at SJPP. It works
C. The people in the Albergues, Pensions, and Hostels are fresh and ready to meet you.
D. If your not in peak shape for the trip? Again don't worry(you will be doing fine 2-3 weeks into it), walk at your pace, stop, see, visit, and relate to the wonderful people of Spain. We ended up walking over 800 miles or 1290 kilometers by our end date in Spain.

Much success and great trips to you this 2017 Camino. We hope to be on a Camino in Spain next year.

Deb and Rob
Age Age
65 66
Thank you for the kind encouragement. I'm starting on 2 April from SPPdP and so you timing is perfect.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
THANK YOU! I did a ton of planning and preparation a couple of years ago, but was unable to go at that time. I just decided to do this last minute and even though I have the gear, I was starting to worry about how I will manage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Deb and Rob
Age Age
65 66
Thanks for this post @Angel-hart. I am leaving SJpdP April 6. Training has taken a back seat in the last week, as I race to finish working etc... so nice to read your thoughts.

Don't worry about your training. You will do well. It was very surreal the first few days being there. We talk about it often mixture of: wow, Im really here walking the Camino. Wish you well!

Buen Camino
Deb and Rob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't worry about your training. You will do well. It was very surreal the first few days being there. We talk about it often mixture of: wow, Im really here walking the Camino. Wish you well!

Buen Camino
Deb and Rob
Thank you, it IS starting to feel surreal. I haven't gone on a walkabout in 40 years. My family is very understanding

Thank you for your post @Angel-hart! I'm starting my first Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port on Thursday 6 and I'm still a bit worried about the walk across the Pyrenees. I hope everything will be fine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Deb and Rob
Age Age
65 66
Thank you!
Me too, I leave on 10th April and start on the 12th from SJPDP. Buen Camino all

Deb and Rob
Age Age
65 66
thankyou! This post was just what I needed. My husband and I start from SJPDP on 8 April, for our first Camino. I was getting a little worried that we are the crazy ones walking in April- worried about the weather but your post assures me it will be ok! (Although I'd feel a lot better if we could confirm our accommodation in Orisson!) Hope to see many of you there

One more week to go.... I'll be landing in Biarritz on the 10th April. I've packed, unpacked, packed, unpacked and packed again.... Getting jittery.. Buen Camino everyone

One more week to go.... I'll be landing in Biarritz on the 10th April. I've packed, unpacked, packed, unpacked and packed again.... Getting jittery.. Buen Camino everyone

Jules67:

Be not afraid. All will be well.

I am arriving SJPdP April 12th and can hardly wait to get back to the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jules67:

Be not afraid. All will be well.

I am arriving SJPdP April 12th and can hardly wait to get back to the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thank you... May bump into you at SJPDP. I'm staying in Biarritz on the 10th. Staying in SJPDP on the 11th. Then will be starting on the 12th.

Thank you... May bump into you at SJPDP. I'm staying in Biarritz on the 10th. Staying in SJPDP on the 11th. Then will be starting on the 12th.

Jules67:

I will not be arriving till later in the day on the 12th but there is a good chance we might bump into each other some day soon after.

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To any and all in SJPdP. I am curious as to how many people on average are starting each day. I wonder if some of you could post numbers of previous days start from Pilgrim office or if you stay at Orisson, how many were there for the night?

Ultreya,
Joe

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for your post @Angel-hart! I'm starting my first Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port on Thursday 6 and I'm still a bit worried about the walk across the Pyrenees. I hope everything will be fine!

Mike:

When you check in at the Pilgrim office, can you ask about the numbers of Pilgrims that are starting each day? Also if stopping in Orisson can you tell me how many others stayed that night?

Thanks,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be wearing a 'Life is Good cap' with a walking shoe on it. Hope to meet all of you on the trail.

Buen Camino,
Joe

I'll be the one walking slowly, being overtaken by you... My backpack is purple... See you there

Are any in the group going the Valcarlos route or stopping in Valcarlos the first day?

5 days and counting.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm stopping at orrison on my first day which will be the 12th

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back