• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving St Jean 20th Sept 2014

TarynAnn

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
Just thought I'd put myself out there. I'll be arriving in Paris 16th sept and making my way to St Jean over a couple of days by train. Planning to walk from St Jean 20th Sept and spend my first night at Orisson. Looking forward to this being my first Camino and all the people I will meet. As nervous as I am I don't think I'll ever be any more ready than this.....

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just thought I'd put myself out there. I'll be arriving in Paris 16th sept and making my way to St Jean over a couple of days by train. Planning to walk from St Jean 20th Sept and spend my first night at Orisson. Looking forward to this being my first Camino and all the people I will meet. As nervous as I am I don't think I'll ever be any more ready than this.....

Buen Camino

TarynAnn ... Here's a September 2014 thread you might find useful. Laurie & I are heading to Orission on the 26th
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/september-2014-peregrinos.24717/

Other people leaving around the 20th
September 19th -Holly, ksam, Dennis & Lisa, soleprint(Pomplona), eagleak(6)
September 20th -Jamie Archer, AnnieY, gidivet(Pomplona)
September 21st -Adhemar78,Griffin57(Burgos)
September 22nd –jdpigue ,Seamas O'Muireadhaigh
September 23rd -Silvester, CaptBuddy(Roncsvalles), gmonkey(Burgos?/Leon?), JoeNYC ,onelight ,marylynn, SooYunKim, michryan

This list can be found on page 11 of the thread

Buen Camino!
Joe

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino
Welcome aboard. I see DeadFred has already filled you in on our Sept. Peregrino thread. Hope you have reservations at Orisson, if not, some of our members can fill you in on options.

Welcome aboard. I see DeadFred has already filled you in on our Sept. Peregrino thread. Hope you have reservations at Orisson, if not, some of our members can fill you in on options.

Thank you yes I have a reservation at Orisson and I am very much looking forward to my night there it looks like a wonderful place :)

Thank you yes I have a reservation at Orisson and I am very much looking forward to my night there it looks like a wonderful place :)
We'll also be at Orisson on the night of the 12th! Can't wait.......

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen Camino
I am leaving St Jean on the 20th and staying at Orisson too!

Ha!!! well I guess I will be seeing you there then. I am so excited about my first night Orisson looking out over the Pyrenees

...As nervous as I am I don't think I'll ever be any more ready than this.....

Just so you know, TarynAnn, I suspect everybody is nervous about starting their Camino, especially the first time, as there are so many unknowns. I will begin my third Camino Frances in a few weeks and I admit that I, too, am nervous--and excited! You will have a wonderful (and sometimes frustrating and tiring and surprising) time, as will I.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha!!! well I guess I will be seeing you there then. I am so excited about my first night Orisson looking out over the Pyrenees

Hi. I'll be 3 days behind you-- staying in Orisson on the 23rd. Let them know a big eater is headed their way! :)

Let them know a big eater is headed their way! :)
I know that the remark is tongue in cheek, but at communal meals, quantities are limited, and many frugal hosts do not replenish the supply. Big eaters may be doing so at the expense of others at the table. I have seen the "meek" (that may be stated better as "polite") ending up with a small portion or nothing at all. There probably is only one slice of meat for each pilgrim, so when someone takes two, someone gets none. Keeping the interests of others in mind is a hard lesson when starving. Perhaps a motivator is to remember not to kick anyone on the way up that you might meet again on the way down. The one left starving may be the one with Compeed when you need it!;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know that the remark is tongue in cheek, but at communal meals, quantities are limited, and many frugal hosts do not replenish the supply. Big eaters may be doing so at the expense of others at the table. I have seen the "meek" (that may be stated better as "polite") ending up with a small portion or nothing at all. There probably is only one slice of meat for each pilgrim, so when someone takes two, someone gets none. Keeping the interests of others in mind is a hard lesson when starving. Perhaps a motivator is to remember not to kick anyone on the way up that you might meet again on the way down. The one left starving may be the one with Compeed when you need it!;)

You have an awful lot of mixed metaphors in this post. No need to worry-- I'm pretty good at sharing. I also excel at fractions-- I can compute 1/18 of something lightening fast!

On a serious note, I fully intend to supplement my communal meals with items from the mercado (if need be).

Buen Camino
Hi TarynAnn, We may cross paths. I fly from Vancouver BC to Paris on the 8th, arrive the 9th and plan to spend about a week enjoying Paris before heading south, probably the 16th, by train. My first amino and I am starting alone. So excited. I will keep an eye out for you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi TarynAnn, We may cross paths. I fly from Vancouver BC to Paris on the 8th, arrive the 9th and plan to spend about a week enjoying Paris before heading south, probably the 16th, by train. My first amino and I am starting alone. So excited. I will keep an eye out for you

Hi Helen,

I am planning on leaving Paris on the 18th and heading south by train... I am also super excited, only a few days to go....

Buen Camino
Hi Helen,

I am planning on leaving Paris on the 18th and heading south by train... I am also super excited, only a few days to go....

Hi TarynAnn, I had a wonderful first day in Paris yesterday. I am not yet sure which day I will head south but if I do stay in Paris until the 18th I would love to meet up here or in SJPP and start off together. I plan to go at a slower pace so we might not walk together for long but it might be fun to share the beginning, especially as it will be new for both of us. I imagine we will meet along The Way one way or another. Let me know if you would like to coordinate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have an awful lot of mixed metaphors in this post. No need to worry-- I'm pretty good at sharing. I also excel at fractions-- I can compute 1/18 of something lightening fast!

On a serious note, I fully intend to supplement my communal meals with items from the mercado (if need be).
Thanks for the laugh, JoeNYC
I GUESS I miss the NYC sense of humor; grew up there but been living in Vancouver for a long time.
Looking forward to meeting you along the Way

Thanks for the laugh, JoeNYC
I GUESS I miss the NYC sense of humor; grew up there but been living in Vancouver for a long time.
Looking forward to meeting you along the Way

Sometimes my NY humor doesn't translate well online. ;)

Look forward to meeting you too-- we can talk about the "old neighborhood". :)

Sometimes my NY humor doesn't translate well online. ;)

Look forward to meeting you too-- we can talk about the "old neighborhood". :)

NY'ers have sense's of humor??? :eek: ;)

Hi TarynAnn, I had a wonderful first day in Paris yesterday. I am not yet sure which day I will head south but if I do stay in Paris until the 18th I would love to meet up here or in SJPP and start off together. I plan to go at a slower pace so we might not walk together for long but it might be fun to share the beginning, especially as it will be new for both of us. I imagine we will meet along The Way one way or another. Let me know if you would like to coordinate.
Hi Helen,
Are you still in Paris or have you moved on? I will just be heading out for some sight seeing tomorrow if you are around otherwise I will see you along the trail somewhere I am sure

Hi Helen,
Are you still in Paris or have you moved on? I will just be heading out for some sight seeing tomorrow if you are around otherwise I will see you along the trail somewhere I am sure
Hi Taryn Ann, welcome to Paris! I am still here and have a lot to do tomorrow. For one thing I want to ship my excess bags to Santiago so I expect to be spending some time at the UPS office. I have been visiting with friends here and wearing 'normal' clothes but don't want to be burdened by them any more. Then I will be spending the afternoon and evening with ,y friends before leaving the next day. Perhaps we could meet at the train station. I am not sure if you have figured it all out yet but there are various places to get on trains going south. I know my way around pretty well so whatever is easiest for you should be fine for me if you tell me which train and which station you are planning on. I think it would be fun to have your company for the trip south and we could compare notes before we start out. I am also wondering how you made a reservation for Orisson? I would like to do that too and hope it is not too late. If it doesn't work out or it is not your preference to meet in Paris I look forward to meeting you on the trail

Hi Taryn Ann, welcome to Paris! I am still here and have a lot to do tomorrow. For one thing I want to ship my excess bags to Santiago so I expect to be spending some time at the UPS office. I have been visiting with friends here and wearing 'normal' clothes but don't want to be burdened by them any more. Then I will be spending the afternoon and evening with ,y friends before leaving the next day. Perhaps we could meet at the train station. I am not sure if you have figured it all out yet but there are various places to get on trains going south. I know my way around pretty well so whatever is easiest for you should be fine for me if you tell me which train and which station you are planning on. I think it would be fun to have your company for the trip south and we could compare notes before we start out. I am also wondering how you made a reservation for Orisson? I would like to do that too and hope it is not too late. If it doesn't work out or it is not your preference to meet in Paris I look forward to meeting you on the trail
Hi Helen,
Yes I have got a reservation for omission I emailed them for my reservation quite some time ago and they got back to me within a day to confirm, hopefully they ate not to busy in sure you will be fine.
We can definitely catch the train together, I haven't even looked into where I should get the train from a yet but I an staying in the 15th area so if you have any recommendations I'm open..

Keep in touch,enjoy your day tomorrow the weather is superb at the moment.

Cheers
Taryn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino

You are 2 days ahead of me.
I am as nervous as I could get to the max, too.
We may get to meet somewhere in the middle.
Buen Camino. :^)

A word of warning, last September 30th I was in Melide in the Elide albergue. Some of our friends stayed in the municipal and told us that it was closing that night for the winter. I dont know if it did close but the rumours along the way was that a lot of municipals in the final stage closed at the end of September. As I was not stopping in any of them I cant confirm this but maybe some of the more experienced members here could either confirm or dispel this

Never saw a shortage of chow at any of the communal meals I had on two Caminos. Often there was a surplus that went in the fridge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Helen,
My plan for tomorrow is to catch the train at 1030 from Gare Montparnasse station to Bayonne.. I hope to be there at 930 in the morning so I don't need to rush. If you would like to join me on the train please feel free to meet me there..
I don't know about you but I am eager to start walking.. Not long now

Hi Helen,
My plan for tomorrow is to catch the train at 1030 from Gare Montparnasse station to Bayonne.. I hope to be there at 930 in the morning so I don't need to rush. If you would like to join me on the train please feel free to meet me there..
I don't know about you but I am eager to start walking.. Not long now
I will be leaving for Paris tomorrow and arriving in St Jean the eve of the 19th and leaving in the morning of the 20th...staying at the gite Kayola just before Orisson...I will stop at Orisson and hope to meet up with others on the 20th in Orisson....I must say, I'm a bit nervous, but looking forward to start walking. Wow...this is getting real at this point. 30 years on my bucket list. GREAT.

Hi Taryn, i just got in so apologize for the tardy response. I was confused by the options online so went to Montparnasse today and bouht my ticket. What the agent told me was that even if I took the earlier train, I would still be making the same connection and arriving in SJPP at the same time 19:24 so therefore I booked the 12:30 train so as to have more time to get ready in the morning and less of a layover. But there is always a chance that my agent was wrong and that an earlier train arrives earlier. I was actually hoping dor the 8:30 am train somas to arrive earlier but he told me there was not a train to Bayonne at that hour. I would have liked to connect with you but if we end up on the same train after transferring we can try to find each other. I have made a reservation at Beilari for tomorrow night. Is that where you ate ataying? I do look forward to meeting you.
Also, i had sent an email to you but replied by mistakemto Ivar so I apologize that you didn't get my previous note about coordinating. Can't believe it begins tomorrow!

Hi Taryn, i just got in so apologize for the tardy response. I was confused by the options online so went to Montparnasse today and bouht my ticket. What the agent told me was that even if I took the earlier train, I would still be making the same connection and arriving in SJPP at the same time 19:24 so therefore I booked the 12:30 train so as to have more time to get ready in the morning and less of a layover. But there is always a chance that my agent was wrong and that an earlier train arrives earlier. I was actually hoping dor the 8:30 am train somas to arrive earlier but he told me there was not a train to Bayonne at that hour. I would have liked to connect with you but if we end up on the same train after transferring we can try to find each other. I have made a reservation at Beilari for tomorrow night. Is that where you ate ataying? I do look forward to meeting you.
Also, i had sent an email to you but replied by mistakemto Ivar so I apologize that you didn't get my previous note about coordinating. Can't believe it begins tomorrow!
Good morning Helen,
No worries for the late reply all things will work out when they should.
I am in Bayonne this morning I will be soon getting the train or bus to St Jean.. I am hoping to arrive early afternoon. I am not sure if the name of where I am staying but the address is 25 rue de la Citadelle. I will hop back online and check when I arrive and maybe we can organise a time and place to meet in the afternoon..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Taryn, i arrived around 7:30 last night, the 18th in SJPP am staying Casa Bailari. Have to ship suitcase to Santiago and want to see town so will stay here tonight also and leave tomorrow for Orisson. Hope you had a good trip. I think you are also in Orisson tomorrow night?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back