• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving stones at the Cruz de Ferro?

Bruno Bodnar

Time of past OR future Camino
(2001) (2018)
We arrived in St Jean yesterday and about to begin our walk starting tomorrow but I have a question.
I just read about people leaving “stuff” at the Cruz de Ferro. I did the Camino in 2001 and at the time it was “tradition” to carry a stone from home and leave it at the base of the cross. Is this now frowned upon?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We arrived in St Jean yesterday and about to begin our walk starting tomorrow but I have a question.
I just read about people leaving “stuff” at the Cruz de Ferro. I did the Camino in 2001 and at the time it was “tradition” to carry a stone from home and leave it at the base of the cross. Is this now frowned upon?
No. New stones arrive daily. "Litter" gets removed regularly.

I'm going to say that if you are thinking of leaving a stone just because of the tradition then don't. If the ritual will actually have real significance to you then do leave one. I request that you please don't leave anything other than a stone as a symbol of leaving your burdens behind.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm going to say that if you are thinking of leaving a stone just because of the tradition then don't. If the ritual will actually have real significance to you then do leave one. I request that you please don't leave anything other than a stone as a symbol of leaving your burdens behind.
Thank you. I understand the disrespect of a historic place by graffiti, balancing rock piles, trinkets, locks...and Yes, my stone has a deep significance to me, but if there is a greater good done by not leaving it then that is what I’ll do and take it home with me again.

Thank you. I understand the disrespect of a historic place by graffiti, balancing rock piles, trinkets, locks...and Yes, my stone has a deep significance to me, but if there is a greater good done by not leaving it then that is what I’ll do and take it home with me again.
I left a stone at the Atlantic in Finisterre; the ocean has taken it.

To be blunt, no-one local is interested in your detritus - it's just rubbish that someone has to be paid to remove.

Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.

We come like water, and like wind we go - well, that's my motto, anyway!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have left stones for myself and others (on request at Cruz de Ferro on several occasions. It signifies leaving your burdens, problems, and challenges at the foot of the The Cross. That is the metaphor for this practice. The stones are not detritus. They are an expression of faith, and a hope for the future.

You are free to disagree, we all disagree from time to time, But people should be allowed to express their faith in such a manner. It harms no one.

I also deposited a stone from home, complete with a private, naval 'at sea' burial ceremony (abbreviated as it was just me), off the girder bridge over the Rio Minho, between Valenca, Portugal and Tui, Spain to commemorate my late father. He was a sailor in his earlier years and served our nation as a sailor in the Second World War. It was a fitting tribute...

Hope this helps.

I brought a smooth stone from home that my mother gave me to carry. Each day I reached into my pocket and it reminded me to pray, reflect, and to be grateful for God's grace and protection. I left it at the foot of the cross and felt a comfort and connection with all who walked before me. It was a symbol of my love and faith to the one who was sacrificed for me, for all. It was an emotional and spiritual moment that I will always cherish and should I walk again, I will carry a stone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m all for “leave no trace” in our dealings with the natural world. To me that basically means leave no waste. I don’t view rocks as waste. For me, the spiritual significance of Cruz de Ferro isn’t the cross, it’s all those burdens and memories left at the foot of the cross. Those emotions create a swirl of spirituality around that cross. The rocks are the source of the emotions.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you, Rick, for acknowledging the fact that the stones left at the Cruz de Ferro have real and tangible meanings for many pilgrims. For me, it was truly the spiritual highlight of my Camino. I wondered if not having a special "thin place" like the Cruz de Ferro on other routes made a difference, and after walking the Camino Portugués a couple of years later, I can say that for me at least, I missed the spiritual experience of carrying a stone and leaving it a place like that where so many thousands who preceded me had left their burdens, sins, or prayers behind.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...stone-at-the-cruz-de-ferro.21624/#post-168472

The last time I walked the CF (2016) there was a cross at the entrance to Foncebadon on a raised plinth. There was a sign in, I think, four languages, saying 'Please do not leave stones on this cross'. I have seen a similar sign on a memorial to a dead peregrino not far from Roncesvalles. I agree wholeheartedly with Rick. Could anyone explain why some people feel the need to leave stones on random marker posts on the caminos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There must be something in the human genome that causes us to mark our territory like dogs or wolves. At least we leave stones or these monuments would look like other portions of the Camino which are littered with tissue. Here's the Cruz dos Franceses near the Alto Portela Grande on the Portuguese central route:

IMG_0714.JPG

Just leave a small stone there if you like.

I'd love to know where some of the big rocks came from. No need for that......

...I'd love to know where some of the big rocks came from...
I've heard that the entire Cruz de Ferro structure was moved closer to the highway in the fairly recent past so that it would be easier for the tour buses to access. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or correct this. But if true, the larger stones are probably part of the relocation process.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back