• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving/Taking books along the way

TonyC

Geriatric
Time of past OR future Camino
(2014/5) Frances Pt1 & Pt2
(2016) Portuguese, from Lisbon
(2018) Frances in Sep/Oct
(2019) Yorkshire
My wife and myself (I'm 71 and my wife is 68, both reasonably fit) are currently planning to start on the camino in September. To this end we are trying to decide what items to take with us. The many versions of packing-lists on the board are very useful, but what doesn't appear in many of them are books, other than guides to the camino. I intend taking my trusty Kindle, but my wife doesn't like e-readers, much preferring "real" books. She is also an avid, and quick, reader and doesn't want to be in the position of not having something to read. During the time we may take to complete the way she would normally have read 3-4 books. We both realise that the weight of 3-4 thick paperbacks is too much to contemplate taking in a back-pack, soe we are looking at possible alternatives.

So we are asking for some help/advice/ideas from those who have experienced the Camino.

One idea we wondered about is it may be that the various lodgings on the route may possibly have little libraries where pilgrims may exchange books. That is, if you have a book that you have finished you can leave it for someone else to read and in turn take another book left by a previous visitor. Does that system exist in any form on the Camino?

Are there any similar schemes?

Is it realistic to carry several paperbacks in your backpack?

What alternatives are there to e-readers(kindles) for taking several books?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most of the albergues were stripped bare of anything that might be carried away. Very few had books available. Any books were usually Spanish coffee table books too heavy to carry off. If there was anything in English it was usually pulp literature not worth the weight to carry.

It might be worth seeking out El Corte Ingles stores ... sometimes they have a selection of books in English.

I relied on my Kindle.

I've done a lot of hiking. It is practical to carry one or two books but not more. Protect in a ziploc; soggy paper doesn't dry well. Its best to pick books that are packed with ideas and can be read again. A personal favorite is anything by Heinlein.

Most of the albergues were stripped bare of anything that might be carried away. Very few had books available. Any books were usually Spanish coffee table books too heavy to carry off. If there was anything in English it was usually pulp literature not worth the weight to carry......

Thanks for the quick response and the useful advice. One thing I forgot to mention in my posting is that my wife is fairly fluent in speaking and reading Spanish, so Spanish language novels etc. would be more than acceptable. They would take longer to read as well, so less would be needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We keep a box of books at my house in the winter that pilgrims can take away with them. We put it out in the plaza in summertime, hoping that people who take a book will also leave one. (So far that has not worked so well.)

Quality control is not a consideration. There are books and magazines in many languages, some are pulp fiction, some are dense philosophical treatises, some are worthless out- of- date travel guides, and some are true shining gems of modern literature. Blame it on the pilgs who went before.

If you are just dying for a read, ask your hospitalero if there are books around. They might keep theirs in tucked away in a box, too. (one place on the del Norte the books were kept out in the open, until guests were found using the pages to kindle the stove in the morning!)

I have found and left books in albergues and hostals on some caminos. In some of the bigger cities, there are English-language racks with fairly good choices. When I was desperate, I bought a Spanish novel from an author I had read, and "read" it at my primitive Spanish level.:rolleyes: Not perfect, but a bit of a fix. Santiago has excellent choices in English books.

Books are available but like most on the camino and in life choice is the luck of the draw.
...Alone at Valcarlos in 2005 in then rather ad hoc old municipal albergue (now there is a spiffy new one) I spent a rainy afternoon reading a serious tome on English landscape history which I had found tucked on a shelf next to the washing powder. Next morning before leaving for Roncesvalles I dutifully returned the half finished book to the shelf. Two year's later on a cold afternoon when I returned to Valcarlos the book was in the SAME spot on the same shelf ; tucked in my sleeping bag I finally finished it!!

Now one of my favorite camino spots for reading is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado where Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for pilgrims. Their multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho is GREAT. As well there are 10 comfy bunks in the dorm heated by a wood burning stove and great showers that water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. What a treat.

Margaret Meredith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In some of the larger cities there are places to pick up free books. Check www.bookcrossing.com - I have myself left and picked up books in several Spanish cities.
One of them is presently making its way around Argentina...

There are also bookshops in the larger cities, and in some of the smaller villages, the tobacconists have a small rack of paperbacks in Spanish.

I wouldn't think that taking 3 or 4 books would be necessary as there will be opportunities to purchase books along the way, especially since she can enjoy them in Spanish. I would most likely plan on having one that I am currently reading, plus one to take up when the first was finished. Then I'd leave the first one behind, replacing it as soon as possible for my back up.

I think she may be envious of your Kindle and the many books you put on it before leaving.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was in the same boat. As I was cycling I did find space for 2 books at a time. When I finished them I left them at albergues, campsites or bookswap places (found one in a launderette!) I also left one in a bus stop - it was too good a book not to leave for someone...
Before I left I packed up books in parcels and left a list of post offices throughout Spain and France, these I left with my mother - who as an avid reader herself , appreciated that this was an errand of mercy! Some of my best moments were picking up a parcel after scouring the town for the right post office, and discovering what books I had inside! Now I have a kindle. I think they are a godsend for the travelling folk...
If your wife really cannot be persuaded to a kindle, then find space for one book and leave it along the way - you may be lucky and find a swap for it - or just be happy when you get to a big town with a bookshop - that you get to go and browse and buy. How great to be able to read a book in another language!

With the don't carry more than 10% of your bodyweight obsession, there is not a lot of books available. Does not matter how many languages you read, people choose not to carry them. Some larger cities/refugio's have book exchanges, expect to diversify from what you normally read

Not sure which kindle/light you have, but it is likely to weigh less than 1-2 paper books. I love reading, I read a fair bit... to me, life without books and music is an empty life, that goes for the Camino, too.

Bring an eReader or go without...

... She is also an avid, and quick, reader and doesn't want to be in the position of not having something to read. ...
One idea we wondered about is it may be that the various lodgings on the route may possibly have little libraries where pilgrims may exchange books. ...

From one bookworm to the other, what you describe is quite common on the Camino ;-) I remember picking up Dante's Divina Comedia in the Rioja, reading it and leaving it in a refuge in Castilla. As with everything - trust and the Camino will provide -even the right book to read ;-) SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk alone.
I really MISS hearing my native tongue, watching TV programmes in English [even if they're rubbish ;)], being able to pick up an English Newspaper, and reading an English book.
However, I decided that was a good reason to buy the simplest, cheapest Kindle. It can store a thousand books, and weighs no more than a paperback.
I don't actually HAVE a thousand books on it ... maybe half a dozen. And that keeps me going for three weeks while on camino.
I don't read it all the time. I find that, after a litre of cold white wine the words on the Kindle become a bit blurred. [It's obviously a failing with the Kindle ....]

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walk alone.
I really MISS hearing my native tongue, watching TV programmes in English [even if they're rubbish ;)], being able to pick up an English Newspaper, and reading an English book.
However, I decided that was a good reason to buy the simplest, cheapest Kindle. It can store a thousand books, and weighs no more than a paperback.
I don't actually HAVE a thousand books on it ... maybe half a dozen. And that keeps me going for three weeks while on camino.
I don't read it all the time. I find that, after a litre of cold white wine the words on the Kindle become a bit blurred. [It's obviously a failing with the Kindle ....]
Some books/newspapers have the same failing!

Convince her to try a Kindle - one of the old ones with E Ink and no backlight screen, no fancy pants. They are just as comfortable to read as a real book IMO. The newer ones are more like a computer screen and I can understand why she doesn't like them.
I used to take paperbacks (my husband carried them for me) and swop or restock whenever I found a bookshop selling books in English (in the large towns - Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon). There was very little choice and the books were a burden to carry. My husband was delighted when I adopted the Kindle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the Old style Kindle but am wondering about the backlit one so I don't have to hold my small flashlite after lights out! Any thoughts on this?

I have the Old style Kindle but am wondering about the backlit one so I don't have to hold my small flashlite after lights out! Any thoughts on this?
Have you got a smartphone? The Kindle App (free) on my iPhone works well and I find it very easy to read in bed with the light out. Try it before you spend money on a new Kindle.

Have you got a smartphone? The Kindle App (free) on my iPhone works well and I find it very easy to read in bed with the light out. Try it before you spend money on a new Kindle.
OOOooooo!
I'm too old to discover how to work a "smartphone", though I'm sure my 2 year old grandson could show me ;)
Maybe I'll stick to my Kindle.....
.... now how do I switch the darned thing on?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OOOooooo!
I'm too old to discover how to work a "smartphone", though I'm sure my 2 year old grandson could show me ;)
Maybe I'll stick to my Kindle.....
.... now how do I switch the darned thing on?
(Grins and notes that the phone is supposed to be "smart" because the user is not....)
OK - rephrase that - do you have a mobile phone? Are you taking it with you?

(Grins and notes that the phone is supposed to be "smart" because the user is not....)
OK - rephrase that - do you have a mobile phone? Are you taking it with you?
Yes, and yes. But you are quite right - the 'owner' is not smart - and uses it only for ...... making phone calls! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kanga, I did it! Got the Kindle app for my iPhone and although it is a tiny screen, I do think it works well, thanks so much!

Yes,its great.I read a book last year on my phone and this year I have, IPilgrim ready to read and also taking one novel. Decided not to take my Kobo as phone good enough.

First, sorry for leaving it so long to reply, but thanks to all who have contributed with their good advice.
Like Phillypilgrim I have one of the older "keyboard" kindles but wondered about getting one of the newer versions, and as is said "The Camino will provide". Shortly after I last posted I received an email from my bank telling me that some of my credit card loyalty points were due to expire. I didn't even know that I had any! Following this up I found that I had enough points to exchange for amazon vouchers and hence pay for a brand new"Paper white" touch screen with built in lighting. And as to emphasise the point my wife's son, who lives in China, emailed her an eBook that he strongly recommended that she read. So my old kindle was cleared of my books and her son's ebook installed, she now has good reason to try out the kindle experience, hopefully she will like it. In my opinion it will be the best answer for her book-carrying problem.

Finally one point about other means of reading ebooks, for example using a smart phone or tablet (even the kindle fire) to read e book publications. All of these devices use a back-lit LCD screen with an active display. This means that the screen flickers, very quickly and not normally visible but nevertheless tiring on the eyes after some time, additionally all this illumination and updating needs power so batteries soon become exhausted. Dedicated ereaders like the kindles use epaper/e-ink technology which only flicker as you turn the pages and does not require any power in between. This removed all the tiring visual side effects and requires very little power so batteries only need charging infrequently. One charge may week well last for a 40 day Camino trip. The Kindle fire range, although advertised as e-readers, are really just customised tablets. I own both a kindle and a high resolution tablet, Nexus 7, which has the kindle reading app installed so I can read the same book on either. The difference between the two is large, I can read on the kindle for hours on end with any discomfort but not so on the Nexus, I find that about half an hour is enough. The one exception to this is when I read documents on PDF format containing diagrams etc, as I sometimes have to do, then the tablet is much better. But for normal text based reading there is no comparison, the dedicated ereader is much the superior. Having said all that though there is a strong argument to be made in favour of a tablet as a multi purpose device, very useful for lots of other activities. I shall probably end up taking both with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I made the leap from the Kindle PaperWhite to the Fire HDX 8.9. Primarily did the upgrade for the WiFi features. I have already noticed the extended battery life with the Fire. Many good Apps out there for the Fire. AccuWeather works great for Spain Nice daily and monthly forecast for the Camino. The camera seems to be very good and may just be my primary camera for the trip. Can send direct to email from camera and it works.

There you have it.... I am now ready for the trek. Leave from Dallas 1 week from today!!!!

The difference between the two is large, I can read on the kindle for hours on end with any discomfort but not so on the Nexus, I find that about half an hour is enough. The one exception to this is when I read documents on PDF format containing diagrams etc, as I sometimes have to do, then the tablet is much better. But for normal text based reading there is no comparison, the dedicated ereader is much the superior.

I agree with this and always prefer reading on my dedicated (old, no frills) Kindle. But for the Camino I will be leaving at home my Kindle, mini iPad and camera and relying on my smartphone with various apps, including the Kindle app. It's a matter of weight.

No comments to add on the book thing - that seems to have been covered thoroughly. I just wanted to say that I think you picked a great time of the year to walk the Camino. I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago late September/end of October this past year - temps started out pretty warm, but after the 2nd week it was very nice with just a few days of rain. This 68 year old will be back for Camino #2 in late September - I hope to see you and your wife along the Way. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, and yes. But you are quite right - the 'owner' is not smart - and uses it only for ...... making phone calls! :)
Hello Stephen,
I'm with you all the way, mine makes calls which are expensive but also sends texts which are not. These are the only 2 functions that I have discovered. Does this mean my phone is smart or just plain c__p. Unfortunately I do not have any grandchildren so I must there remain thick, but put a pack on my back then we shall see who walks all day.

My wife and myself (I'm 71 and my wife is 68, both reasonably fit) are currently planning to start on the camino in September. To this end we are trying to decide what items to take with us. The many versions of packing-lists on the board are very useful, but what doesn't appear in many of them are books, other than guides to the camino. I intend taking my trusty Kindle, but my wife doesn't like e-readers, much preferring "real" books. She is also an avid, and quick, reader and doesn't want to be in the position of not having something to read. During the time we may take to complete the way she would normally have read 3-4 books. We both realise that the weight of 3-4 thick paperbacks is too much to contemplate taking in a back-pack, soe we are looking at possible alternatives.

So we are asking for some help/advice/ideas from those who have experienced the Camino.

One idea we wondered about is it may be that the various lodgings on the route may possibly have little libraries where pilgrims may exchange books. That is, if you have a book that you have finished you can leave it for someone else to read and in turn take another book left by a previous visitor. Does that system exist in any form on the Camino?

Are there any similar schemes?

Is it realistic to carry several paperbacks in your backpack?

What alternatives are there to e-readers(kindles) for taking several books?
Ok I am like your wife do not like e-books. One of the reasons for walking the Camino is to try different things and break out of one's comfort zone. To that when in September are you walking? My wife and I will be out there stating from SJPP on Sept 16. Hope to see you along the way were we can exchange some of our books.
Buen Camino

Carrying more than one book is really not an option. I have seen very few books to trade along the way..so odds of finding them is not good.
A kindle type reader or a smart phone is the smart thing to do.
Like your wife, I did not like the idea of anything but actual books. On my first Camino I realized that carrying enough to read was not possible and carried a Kindle. It was great and I came to enjoy using it. On the following Caminos I have just used an app on my smart phone and have been surprised at how well it has worked. Nothing extra to carry.
I suggest she bite the bullet and give it a try at home now to see how it works out.
A phone you are already carrying will allow you to carry 100's of books without any assed bulk or weight.

The Camino does involve getting out of our normal comfort zones. The books will not be the only required change to personal preferences.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't see the need to carry english paperbacks because there are definitely ways for getting hold of books in English along the Camino. Every 100 Kms+ the Camino has an anchor major city with bookstores. Your assignment would be to research the ones that have books in English and/or send one of them an email asking. You can even order books from them to be pick-up when you go by the city. Many of them have online order services with the store location as a pick-up option. In addition, ask the albuerges for leftover books. I finished a book and left it at an albergue in Ages and noticed they had dozens of paperbacks in many languages in a sort of drop-off/pick-up. Buen Camino!

Thanks to all who have joined in this discussion so far. Just to re-state the original problem; it is my wife who wants to take several books or to be able to change read-books for unread somehow. As well as being a "paper books only" person she is also unwilling to use any form of smartphone. The phone she currently uses is only capable of making calls and text messages, absolutely as basic as they come. It's fairly new but it is definitely a 1990s design, so that option is no good. She has yet to try the book that I placed on my old kindle so there is still hope that she may see the convenience of the kindle for the Camino.
I personally would like to take my smartphone AND either my new kindle or my tablet, but I expect that I shall be sensible and only take my phone. Realistically my phone is a true "Jack of all trades" but unfortunately it is also "Master of none!" (An English proverb). So whilst the kindle would be better for reading and the tablet better for whatever internet activity I might choose, it is true that the phone can provide both of these options and telephone facilities as well. So smartphone it will be for me.

If I dispense with some of my toys then perhaps I will have space in my backpack for a book or two for my wife....... Ummm..

Thanks to all who have joined in this discussion so far. Just to re-state the original problem; it is my wife who wants to take several books or to be able to change read-books for unread somehow. As well as being a "paper books only" person she is also unwilling to use any form of smartphone. The phone she currently uses is only capable of making calls and text messages, absolutely as basic as they come. It's fairly new but it is definitely a 1990s design, so that option is no good. She has yet to try the book that I placed on my old kindle so there is still hope that she may see the convenience of the kindle for the Camino.
I personally would like to take my smartphone AND either my new kindle or my tablet, but I expect that I shall be sensible and only take my phone. Realistically my phone is a true "Jack of all trades" but unfortunately it is also "Master of none!" (An English proverb). So whilst the kindle would be better for reading and the tablet better for whatever internet activity I might choose, it is true that the phone can provide both of these options and telephone facilities as well. So smartphone it will be for me.

If I dispense with some of my toys then perhaps I will have space in my backpack for a book or two for my wife....... Ummm..
It seems to me that the iPad is the best option. I have books loaded up, plus my backgammon (damn computer cheats though) as well as some tv series. On top of that I have Skype which is loaded with some credit so I can call ordinary phones, while being able to free call others on Skype. Plus a keyboard to write my blog on, and the ability to take photos when I am too lazy to take out the camera. Best thing I ever bought.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our local small library has classes every Thursday afternoon at 2 PM to teach us old people in the ranks of "the Soon To Be Dead", how to download their vast list of Ebooks. Have it all written down and need to practice downloading books. They assured me that I will be able to download books while on the Camino . But while I usually take 4 or 5 books on vacation and read all of them, I'm not sure I want to bother reading while walking the Camino. Might be more entertaining to just listen to the Voices in my head.

Dear Tony C,
The kindle is great but make sure that it is well water-proofed! It can rain cats and dogs and I have even seen one poor Italian lad with his Passport in a mush after a day of some particularly vicious storms. A paperback is just as vulnerable but much cheaper to replace should them upstairs decide to throw the kitchen sink at you.

Each year I took only one book for a week/10 days walking. That book had to be one I had not managed to read at home so only taking it on The Way meant it had to be read! In this way I read (and enjoyed) The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Catch 22, The Return of the Native, Don Quioxote to name a few (but I still couldn't get on with Graham Green's Heart of the Matter!).

Good luck and great walking, Andy Hill

Take one or two, when she finishes them, leave them in some albergue, then buy another one in Spanish as she can read it (paperback 'de bolsillo' books cost around 6 to 9 euros) and so on... Simple. Any of the larger towns will have bookstores selling classics and bestsellers in Spanish. For the record, there are some pretty good Spanish writers (from Spain) out there.

Happy reading and buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sort of on topic... I just found a brilliant website called Bookcrossing. If you really enjoyed a book you can register it and then put a sticker in it with details. You then set it free - leaving it anywhere someone is likely to find it. When they do - they can use the number on the sticker on the website and say what they thought of it and where they are leaving it etc. It is great - I love leaving books for others to read - but this way - you get feedback.
I just left a great cycle travel book at a favourite local pub in rural Devon - and now it is in Hong Kong!! So now I've left one in a launderette, one in a church....
Albergues would be a brill place to leave books - and who knows you may bump into the person who picked up your book on another Camino...

Hi everyone. Just to update you with the actual result of my original question. We were wondering if it was possible to swap books whilst doing the Camino.
Well we now know as we spent a large part of September walking from St Jean Pierre de Port to Sahagun, where (unfortunately) we had to stop due to swelling problems with my wife's feet. We have already booked out flights back there for next spring when we WILL complete the route to Santiago.
In terms of books I mentioned in one of my posts that I had put one, or more, books into a Kindle for my wife to try out. Initially she was not particularly interested but gradually began to realise the sense of using this method to take several books with her.
What finally convinced her that it was the best method was when I downloaded an English/Spanish dictionary from Amazon onto her Kindle. This integrated with the Spanish books, that I had put onto the kindle, in exactly the same way as the built-in English dictionary did for English language books. That is, that if you are unsure of a particular word you can move the cursor to the word, wait for a very short while and the dictionary entry will be shown for the definition. In the case of the Spanish/English dictionary it does the definition and also the translation details, very useful when studying Spanish. She now prefers reading her Spanish novels on the kindle because of this feature, and she used the kindle for both her English and Spanish reading for the duration of our Camino.

You can read our blog at CarrollsinSpain.WordPress.com .

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back