A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Leaving tomorrow - one last question- is it worth to bring a small daypack?

Camino Badges

Heather88

Camino(s) past & future
First July 2016
I am flying to Spain tomorrow to begin my Camino and am wondering if bringing a daypack is too much? I was thinking of using it for shopping, site seeing etc...
I am wondering if it is crazy to add weight to my pack for that?.

A

Anemone del Camino

Absolutely. I bring one of those nylon shopping bags you can fold up tightly in its own pouch. Great for carrying your important documents, money, cell to the shower, or bringing these things into town in the evening, grocery opping as you mention and as a day bag should you need to send your backpack ahead one day. I prefer the ones with a zipper. I think this is the one I have, although 64 grams seems like a lot; it is really tiny when folded up. http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil®+Sling+Bag&o1=0&o2=0&o3=380-36

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A heavy day pack would be a bit much--but the one in Mark's post looks great, and Anemone's onto a good idea too.
I have a cloth shoulder bag, but it only tends to come out in Santiago--along the way I just use my Saloman front pack if I go out someplace.

Heather88

Camino(s) past & future
First July 2016
Thank you for the suggestions. I had one of those bags with the strings but can't find it so am going with a lightweight shopping bag that folds into a small pouch.
Feeling kind of nervous and sort of want to barf but I am excited at the same time. Only 11 more hours until my flight.
Gracias por todo

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Feeling kind of nervous and sort of want to barf but I am excited at the same time.
Ah, the day-before jitters...not to worry, Heather, it just means your camino has begun. Once you set foot on the way, the nerves will dissolve like fog on a sunny day.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. Next: Gd St Bernard to Rome

marbuck

Camino(s) past & future
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
A super light fold up day pack is as important as a Swiss Army pocket knife with a cork screw. A 'must have' in your backpack.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A super light fold up day pack is as important as a Swiss Army pocket knife with a cork screw.
I don't have either and am perfectly happy without them.:D
Just goes to show how individual packing lists are: @marbuck is perfectly correct, and so am I. So make your own decisions and don't listen (too much) to us. We're all just talking anyway--wishing we were in your shoes right now!
Enjoy, Heather...Buen Camino!

kmrice

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago - Fisterra 2008
St. Jean Pied de Port - Santiago 2013
I carry a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil daypack, 20 litres, 2.4 ounces, for evenings to hold things I don't want to leave at the albergue in my main pack. When not in use it packs into its own pouch - about the size of a lemon.With what I carry in it, it is very comfortable on my back. Well worth its small weight.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Last edited:

bikerkvw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Inglish, Camino de la Plata. Future Camino Francis
Thank you for the suggestions. I had one of those bags with the strings but can't find it so am going with a lightweight shopping bag that folds into a small pouch.
Feeling kind of nervous and sort of want to barf but I am excited at the same time. Only 11 more hours until my flight.
Gracias por todo
I have often used just a plastic bag I get from the market. They weigh nothing and you can put it in your pocket until you need it.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I have often used just a plastic bag I get from the market. They weigh nothing and you can put it in your pocket until you need it.
It has been a while since Heather88 visited the Forum. She probably found an answer to her question.:)

On older posts, it often is worthwhile to check dates. This thread is three years old...

bikerkvw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Inglish, Camino de la Plata. Future Camino Francis
It has been a while since Heather88 visited the Forum. She probably found an answer to her question.:)

On older posts, it often is worthwhile to check dates. This thread is three years old...
My Bad.

spreadsheetdirtbags

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2018)
This is something I did not originally bring. I had a little bit of cord along and I used that to make a 'shoulder sling' for my small dry-bag, so I could carry my passport/money with me easily. At one of the first towns though, I ended up grabbing one of those very lightweight nylon shopping bags (it was a very small one) and used it for the remainder of the trip. You can get very light ones. If you want to be a bit 'spendy' about it, you can also get a very lightweight, packable 'backpack' that folds up into itself.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future

spreadsheetdirtbags

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2018)

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%