• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Triacastela: right or left?

Carly Rose

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned June/July 2018; Francés
Hello all,
I am sure I am asking a question answered many (many) times, however I think my camino brain is not searching properly.

In choosing a route after leaving Triacastela my intent is to avoid the largest amounts of concrete/asphalt etc. It basically wrecks my feet :)
Have any of you done both routes and can compare? Advise?
Thank you!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I left via Samos. Totally worth doing.

(And when I chose that path in March it was in snow and sleet, then the next day warm sun going to Sarria and on to Barbadelo)
DSC_0802.JPGDSC_0775.JPG

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have walked both, and found both routes from Tricastela to Sarria to be beautiful with mostly natural pathways and about the same amount of natural versus paved. Visiting Samos is absolutely worth the time and extra few kilometers. The walk from Samos to Sarria is, as Anamiri said, magical!

Buen Camino,
--jim--

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No contest: turn left. Especially because of the second half of that route - from Samos to Sarria.

Rustic bliss!

nZBhmOcbYpSLdHy4yK8IR158ERzgJajUDTKIvvr5JyadXmQTGmMMFQ3E0YDE2vCXJbriJ-r59_edaDH_axmtmMaphHLlrU8qtc48Rkl2Z4GEeOgI0h-UnN_ZcQjRGpexFvOpCFm2WUwh7i5sP_kXV6sqJf6tfMkYt4N1E-mX9X3mT4nFju6xBiE4VMn-yTJ_vdq-2KdsT6zZ_jdOeyTt2LiMnisDvXFZUX0PEg2FVnMpUK2IWr70NzrRFoLskv3X-bE18P2Vh-Ulvd11DbRNJYpMbnqjd2RlfdA7GKmK6BqAUNdGeI-m4KjcrQYIJor8lq7BSILZg0Lfgl36OEUdNLVzuYe-Jrd8YTEJnoJDuaRZ4V6Tj7MORhAdJ4Ax00BAJWAZXtrhVM_r1KvKri1Xx8HpBSQ3P_AXdgekCmnvG4mjzDHhHCvA6gi2HqhUm-xzt3BnuToVJE3lyINM3KUIoginpXIYVmXDiMtO7lEwiNKMj1s2CzLw79RfqltcP5FXsPNDOAD93rYtMdVNp0PyV62i5bGx7o0WIAtEpvgfHxix8phenxSYc15n9lAgZGLWYhk3YJr6yVOD52PxTy6mIaPEv9nL49ZyYsYXEZg=w1263-h947-no

Last edited:
In a village on the way to Samos a tiny lamb ran out of a shed and up to me, TOO CUTE! Followed by an anxious woman keen to get it back indoors.
It rained on us the whole into Samos, never stopped all day punctuated only by amazing lightning. Was still the prettiest most delightful walk.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have any of you done both routes and can compare? Advise?

Hi, the first time I went right because it was shorter.
Next time I went left (because I went right the previous time).
The next time I went left, because I wanted to visit Samos again.
Last time I went right (because the previous 2 times I went left).
If I am ever there again I would definitely go left – via SAMOS!
Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Samos if it's a convenient place for a stopover ; but go the other way otherwise, as it's slightly shorter and, Samos excepted, equally picturesque.

Samos is always the better choice if you're walking in the other direction though.

You sound like me! In the end I had decided to go to Samos. But, I had stayed in a hotel and got up later than I was planning. I debated and I stood at the road trying to make a final choice and my gut said to go right toward San XIL (mostly due to the shorter distance). I listened to my gut and it was one of my best days of walking. The route is stunningly beautiful. I don't regret it and the next time I go, I'll get up earlier and walk to Samos. Whatever you do will be the right choice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dang! I've walked the Frances twice. First time I went right cuz it was shorter (and still lovely). Second time I wanted to go left, but was with newbie family members who were suffering by this time with shin splints, blisters and plantar fasciatis. They wanted to go right....grrr! Oh well, I'll just have to go back again one day and make sure I turn LEFT!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just caught up with this thread. I agree that Samos is well worth visiting. However, nobody has mentioned the lack of toilet facilities of any kind on this route! I write this in view of another thread which relates the need to patronise cafes in order to use their loos. There are no cafes on the way to Samos. One village has even erected pictorial signs forbidding "going" in the wild!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take a right, and go through San XiL and Montan. It is more than several KM shorter. you can stay on the road, if you don't want to climb the big hill after San Xii Nice donativo rest stop in Montan.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back