• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Vancouver Canada

Walking at 35

Time of past OR future Camino
Year2009 St JeanBurgos2009 Le Puy to Roncesvalles
Leaving Vancouver the first week of June 2009 to walk the Camino Frances. I am not really sure where I should fly to, can somebody help me? Looking forward to meeting new people on my pilgrim journey.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, I am doing the Camino Frances in September and I am flying from Toronto to Paris, overnighting there and then taking the train to St Jean Pied de Port the next day. I guess where you fly into will depend on where you are starting your Camino from. Paris for me was the most economical for for the flight but it also turned out to be most convenient as far as connections go to my start point (SJPdP). Depending on the time your flight arrives in Paris, you could actually catch the train to SJPdP that same day. Hope you have a great Camino.
Bill

Frankfurt is way cheaper than flying into Paris....and probably the same amount of time on a train....also Dublin is really cheap to fly into and you can get a quick hop over to Biarritz for 88.00

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am doing the Camino in October, leaving late Sept and returning early November: got a great deal from Air France Vancouver to Biarritz via Amsterdam for 960CDN return all in.
I get to biarritz at around 9pm so it will be a hotel there to recuperate and then train from Bayonne to SJPP. So far sounds pretty easy.
Toughest part is taking the bus and ferry from Victoria to Vancouver!
AJP
Victoria

I am doing the Camino in October, leaving late Sept and returning early November: got a great deal from Air France Vancouver to Biarritz via Amsterdam for 960CDN return all in.
I get to biarritz at around 9pm so it will be a hotel there to recuperate and then train from Bayonne to SJPP. So far sounds pretty easy.
Toughest part is taking the bus and ferry from Victoria to Vancouver!
AJP
Victoria

June 5 2009 Starting at the France Border

Thanks for all your advice.
I am just wondering who is starting the trek June 5 from the France border? I have no problem walking on my own but would like to have dinner and wine with people at the end of the day?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm heading to Spain from Vancouver on April 28, will be walking about May6. Flying into Madrid, one can then get the train to St. Sebastian, then by train to Bayonne, and on to St. Jean. That's what I'm doing. I may stay in Bayonne overnight and then St. Jean overnight because I want to experience it.

Where are you in Vancouver? I'm in the West End and doing a lot of walking around the Sea wall, most mornings. Need to get even longer times - so far the most I've done is three hours. My partner who is walking the via de la plata at the same time, did a five hour day last week.

Nigel

Walkingat35- You will have no trouble finding fellow pilgrims to eat with and share a bottle of wine at the end of the day. If anything, you will have to work hard to escape them!

KnitNigel - head over to the North Shore and walk some of those steep hills! My first Camino I trained in Florida and not having had any hills to train on = shin splints on the Camino. My 2nd Camino I went home to West Van and only trained 45mins per day but walked up & down hills = no problem! (but I also took it a lot slower the 2nd time around and only did relatively short days, ie. 15 kms, for the first couple of days to get my body used to it all). Give it a try!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Alipilgrim, Not a bad idea. I was thinking of going over to Oak Street from 2nd Ave. Now there's a hill. Walked 2 hours today - would have walked more but decided I'd been rained on enough. So I went for a caffe con leche instead. Nigel

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back