• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving walking sticks in Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo April 24
I am in Santiago and will be leaving tomorrow for home in the United States. I have a pair of walking sticks that I can’t take with me. The Pilgrim House is closed, I realized today, so I don’t have a good plan for how to re-home my sticks. Any suggestions?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am in Santiago and will be leaving tomorrow for home in the United States. I have a pair of walking sticks that I can’t take with me. The Pilgrim House is closed, I realized today, so I don’t have a good plan for how to re-home my sticks. Any suggestions?

Or maybe do a pm to @SYates from Egeria House?

She might have good use for it or deliver them later this week to Pilgrim House.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, there used to be a container for left poles in the inner yard of rhe Pilgrim reception office, rua das Carretas. Someone who needs them will find them there.

What happens to those "donated" treking poles left at the Pilgrims Office?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best of the donated walking sticks (brand names, good quality, lightweight) usually find their way to the Pilgrim House's donativo stash. Pre-COVID, they were hosting the best donativo collection of surplus-to-use items in Santiago. There is no formal agreement. It just happens.

The wholly wooden walking sticks are collected periodically by a local charity. They remove any metal tips, then cut the sticks into short lengths. There are actually low income folks in and around Santiago who cook or heat with wood. These sticks are ideal as kindling. So, these disposed wooden waling staffs are repurposed to good use.

Metal walking sticks that are of lower quality were customarily sent to recycling on a regular basis.

For a while, a few years back (Pre-COVID) a local art foundation was collecting hiking poles of all types to use as part of an art installation at the Ciudad de Cultura. That's the modern building on the hill outside the ring road, to the south east of the old town. I have not seen it - but it's considered "art."

Hope this helps.

Tom

The wholly wooden walking sticks are collected periodically by a local charity. They remove any metal tips, then cut the sticks into short lengths. There are actually low income folks in and around Santiago who cook or heat with wood. These sticks are ideal as kindling. So, these disposed wooden waling staffs are repurposed to good use.
Ah Tom, cheers for the explanation. Good to hear about the recycling of the wooden sticks. Especially in these times where energy costs are so freakishly high.

It must be sad saying goodbye to old and trusted friends. Working in the Pilgrim Office in '18 I saw a young Japanese pilgrim place his rather expensive looking poles on the pile outside, bow deeply and walk away with just the one sad look over his shoulder.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah Tom, cheers for the explanation. Good to hear about the recycling of the wooden sticks. Especially in these times where energy costs are so freakishly high.
They have been providing these kindling sticks to local folks since at least 2016 that I know of. I do not know if COVID has affected this practice.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I live in Santiago and I’ll gladly take People’s poles and put Them to good use with other pilgrims.
I Can be contacted on Messenger JT Pedersen or Instagram thedanishvikingpilgrim

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back