• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Legend of the Traveler's Tree

linkster

Nunca dejes de creer!
Year of past OR future Camino
CF (17) Sarria - Portomarín
CF (17) SJPdP - SdC
CF (18) SJPdP - Fisterra
CP (19) Porto - Muxia
Last night we went to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates Holiday Lights. There was a brightly lit Traveler’s Tree that caught my attention, and I thought I would share the legend with you.

It is called the Traveler’s Tree because according to the legend it was set by God to help people who got lost in their route and could not get shade, orientation, water or food. The leaves of the traveler's tree are extensive as fans and are able to provide shade, their fruits are edible, and according to the legend rainwater accumulates capable to quench the thirst of the traveler. In addition, the plant can serve as a compass to the traveler who is familiar with it, since its leaves usually take the east-west orientation.

¡Feliz Navidad! … ¡Nunca dejes de creer! 👣 :D:cool:

travellers palm.jpg
spanish moss.jpg

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

linkster

Nunca dejes de creer!
CF (17) Sarria - Portomarín
CF (17) SJPdP - SdC
CF (18) SJPdP - Fisterra
CP (19) Porto - Muxia
I used to have a Travellers Palm in my backyard. I was told they always point North. Didn't know the fruit
was edible though. It was a gorgeous thing.
We had one at our old house, and I thought they pointed north as well. That was an abbreviated description from the net. The one in the pictures actually has 4 trees like a compass.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Last night we went to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates Holiday Lights. There was a brightly lit Traveler’s Tree that caught my attention, and I thought I would share the legend with you.

It is called the Traveler’s Tree because according to the legend it was set by God to help people who got lost in their route and could not get shade, orientation, water or food. The leaves of the traveler's tree are extensive as fans and are able to provide shade, their fruits are edible, and according to the legend rainwater accumulates capable to quench the thirst of the traveler. In addition, the plant can serve as a compass to the traveler who is familiar with it, since its leaves usually take the east-west orientation.

View attachment 89356
View attachment 89357
I have two of these Traveller palms or Giant Strelitzas in my garden - although they are somewhat invasive, the are good shade providers, however, I was unaware that their fruit was edible. :)

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19

View attachment 89356
View attachment 89357
It is a very interesting place. He imported many tropical species from around the world. Henry Ford built a house next door. There must have been some intersting conversation there.

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 59 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 206 15.1%
  • May