Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.

Legend of the Traveler's Tree

linkster

¡Nunca dejes de creer!
Year of past OR future Camino
Last night we went to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates Holiday Lights. There was a brightly lit Traveler’s Tree that caught my attention, and I thought I would share the legend with you.

It is called the Traveler’s Tree because according to the legend it was set by God to help people who got lost in their route and could not get shade, orientation, water or food. The leaves of the traveler's tree are extensive as fans and are able to provide shade, their fruits are edible, and according to the legend rainwater accumulates capable to quench the thirst of the traveler. In addition, the plant can serve as a compass to the traveler who is familiar with it, since its leaves usually take the east-west orientation.

¡Feliz Navidad! … ¡Nunca dejes de creer! 👣 :D:cool:

travellers palm.jpg
spanish moss.jpg

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

linkster

¡Nunca dejes de creer!
I used to have a Travellers Palm in my backyard. I was told they always point North. Didn't know the fruit
was edible though. It was a gorgeous thing.
We had one at our old house, and I thought they pointed north as well. That was an abbreviated description from the net. The one in the pictures actually has 4 trees like a compass.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Last night we went to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates Holiday Lights. There was a brightly lit Traveler’s Tree that caught my attention, and I thought I would share the legend with you.

It is called the Traveler’s Tree because according to the legend it was set by God to help people who got lost in their route and could not get shade, orientation, water or food. The leaves of the traveler's tree are extensive as fans and are able to provide shade, their fruits are edible, and according to the legend rainwater accumulates capable to quench the thirst of the traveler. In addition, the plant can serve as a compass to the traveler who is familiar with it, since its leaves usually take the east-west orientation.

View attachment 89356
View attachment 89357
I have two of these Traveller palms or Giant Strelitzas in my garden - although they are somewhat invasive, the are good shade providers, however, I was unaware that their fruit was edible. :)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19

View attachment 89356
View attachment 89357
It is a very interesting place. He imported many tropical species from around the world. Henry Ford built a house next door. There must have been some intersting conversation there.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads