• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leggings+shorts April?

roadtoad2000

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Pamplona to Santiago; April 2017
Hello,

I have been following this forum for months and it has been instrumental in preparing me for my Camino starting from Pamplona to Santiago starting April 2.

I thought I had my kit together until checking the weather forecasts... I had planned on wearing athletic running tights with running shorts as my bottom/s clothing system, with a pair of regular synthetic pants to change into after walking. These can also be used as backups while actually walking.

Does anyone have experience walking with tights and shorts during this time of the year?

Thanks in advance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We'll be walking in England starting 1 April and I think the weather forecast is roughly the same... My husband will be wearing shorts :rolleyes::D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I wear my pants with the zip off portions off almost all the time. But it is partly because I get frustrated trying to fight the wonky zippers to zip on the lower leg portions most mornings! I find as long as my head, hands and feet are warm on cooler mornings, I have my zip offs removed any time it is 5 C or warmer.

I used shorts and leggings for bicycle ( individual sleeves for legs) from early morning in late April. Later in the day when heating up, I dropped the arrangement and went shorts the remainder of the day.
reverse arrangement when donning rain trousers...

We have walked twice in the Fall.
My wife convinced me to take Running “leggings”.
For the first 4 weeks (first trip) I never wore them.
Then it got cold and rainy.
Then... I wore them, with shorts, under my Altus Poncho.
Well.... in a couple of days, the sun came back out, and I continues to wear them, all the way to Santiago.
They became my best friend.

My wife's legging were thicker. Warm in the morning, but too hot for sunny days.

My big advice is.... men shouldn't were leggings without shorts.
Saw a few.... not nice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leggings AND Decorum. I like it.
I myself felt like a Marabou stork with the black legs, but comfy !

I'm having similar questions for late April/ early May. Where I stand now is one pair of hiking shorts, rain pants, and one pair of athletic leggings that I can wear if really cold or just after showering. Hope that helps!

Joe walks in shorts all year long.
My adult son walks only in shorts and he has hiked 1000 miles of the AT in lots of rain, all of the John Muir and Colorado trails, and accompanied his mother on two Caminos, with a 3rd to follow in two weeks! I generally prefer long pants until warmer weather prevails.:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be wearing exercise leggings/Capri starting in 5 weeks from Leon, not worrying bout addition shorts on top as they will just scrunch up and be uncomfortable. I f I am feeling bashful about my behind I may wear an exercise skirt over the leggings.

It may be worth keeping in mind that your legs may need protection from the sun rather than the cold. I am considering just taking shorts and leggings this year (April/May camino) but am a little concerned that the leggings will be too hot some days and the shorts won't provide any protection from sun burn.

It may be worth keeping in mind that your legs may need protection from the sun rather than the cold. I am considering just taking shorts and leggings this year (April/May camino) but am a little concerned that the leggings will be too hot some days and the shorts won't provide any protection from sun burn.
Totally agree! I must say I am very surprised at the number of people who walk in shorts. In late June last year on the Le Puy route, I saw an inordinant number of people (mostly French) with bright red, severely sunburnt calves (sometimes shoulders as well) - just looking at them made me feel painful! To provide sufficient sun protection, you would need to bring twice or 3 times as much sun screen, which adds to the weight. Whenever I walk, I wear long sleeves and long pants made with the lightest and most breathable fabric. Works every time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Totally agree! I must say I am very surprised at the number of people who walk in shorts. In late June last year on the Le Puy route, I saw an inordinant number of people (mostly French) with bright red, severely sunburnt calves (sometimes shoulders as well) - just looking at them made me feel painful! To provide sufficient sun protection, you would need to bring twice or 3 times as much sun screen, which adds to the weight. Whenever I walk, I wear long sleeves and long pants made with the lightest and most breathable fabric. Works every time.
I agree completely. No need for sun-damaged skin. Also, long sleeves and very light-weight trousers protect you from insects, branch scratches, etc. I will take shorts, but for the apres-hike.
Cheers, Keith

I wear above knee culottes (divided skirt style) in spring and summer. In spring I wear them with leggings or leg warmers.
I also wear short sleeve tops in spring and summer, starting off on cooler days with arm warmers.
A few years ago I bought colourful leg warmers in Spain and still use them as leg warmers or arm warmers.
(Photo taken with a lovely peregrina from Canada)

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 26
I think it really depends on where you are from (latitude wise) and what your body is used to wearing. Both my Caminos have been in April/May. and I wore only shorts whilst walking - the only exception being rainpaints when walking in snow up O Cebreiro :). Words of caution regarding sunburn are to be taken seriously but in April the real risks are going to be determined by what your body is used to during your training. (Before the flames start - high summer is a different matter!!) I'd suggest the bottom line is really driven by what you are used to when walking long distances. Whether it is gym tights, shorts with leggings, short shorts, walking trousers; if you're acclimatised to them, go for it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.