• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leggings/tights experience, pros & cons

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
this was part of what I noticed from @peregrina2000’s post yesterday from Alvaro’s YouTube video. Loved it, thanks for posting, Laurie.

And so, the detour, shorts with leggings. I noticed last week that if I wear leggings when walking, my bilateral hip pain is almost nonexistent. Any thoughts, advice, benefits of walking a Camino with leggings/tights?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don’t know about their utility for pain, but I always have a pair of running tights with me. Generally speaking I have my tights as a base layer and my convertible pants over top. That’s how I start on any given morning. By mid-morning, I might take the bottoms off the trousers and just have the shorts over the tights. By mid-afternoon I might switch to just shorts or just running tights.
I find I get the most “climate control” with this combination.
Cooler evenings: running tights under my dress that I wear to dinner/museums/mass etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And so, the detour, shorts with leggings. I noticed last week that if I wear leggings when walking, my bilateral hip pain is almost nonexistent. Any thoughts, advice, benefits of walking a Camino with leggings/tights?
I use them when it's cold.
Not much to say, really. Except to warn that if you use them under a walking skirt, static electricity and skirt-creep is a thing!
😯

Not much to say, really. Except to warn that if you use them under a walking skirt, static electricity and skirt-creep is a thing!
😯
Try a wool hiking skirt. Smartwool and Icebreaker both offer them. I don't take them on camino, but they are my "go to" at home for avoiding the problem of static. The quilting keeps quads and butt warm, but being skirt -length prevents overheating.

This is not an ad but a personal comment. Almost all my kit came from Decathlon in France.

Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be Decathlon's unwritten and successful motto. Good quality but nothing fancy, no glitz. Nothing that anyone would want to take or steal.

I always wore runner's winter tights while hiking similar to these .

Fromista Canal de Castilla.jpg

Although now at 82 I can no longer hike I still wear them simply walking every day.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always walk in running shorts from early Spring to late Fall. If the temperatures fall below 40F/ 4.5C, or if a rain is especially chilly, I wear a light weight pair of Capilene or Smartwool baselayer lowers under my shorts. They are not tight, but snug, and they work well.

For the hip pain issues, (I am assuming that a medico has evaluated for cause) I would look at compression shorts or a hip brace worn under your walking shorts for relief, rather than running tights.

A couple of other potential issues with the hip pain if the cause is unknown, may be (just a thought) related to your choice of shoes, issues with supination or pronation, or a discrepancy of length between the right and left legs.

Last edited:
This is not an ad but a personal comment. Almost all my kit came from Decathlon in France.

Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be Decathlon's unwritten and successful motto. Good quality but nothing fancy, no glitz. Nothing that anyone would want to take or steal.

I always wore runner's winter tights while hiking similar to these . Although now at 82 I can no longer hike I still wear them simply walking every day.
A Camigo who I walked with in December 2019 wore leggings from Decathlon, we went through some foul conditions with driving rains in intense winds, when I asked about the leggings he said the brushed fleece like inner surface kept his legs warm even when wet. He originally tried buying the men's merino leggings but they were sold out so he bought female synthetic ones, he is 6ft 5 so the women's longer legs were ideal. I have changed my kit because of him and have now 1 alpkit running leggings and 1 OMM flash winter tights.

On both Camino Frances and Via Francigena I wore leggings and calf sleeves. I chose calf sleeves that did not include the feet so that I could control the affect of the socks that I love to wear hiking. The calf sleeves work so well throughout the day, but I take them off at the end of the day's walk and before going to dinner. These help to avoid shin splints. Both leggings and calf sleeves help blood circulation and help with the day to day walking fatigue. My "medium compression" leggings are not compression tights by today's standards, but they helped greatly and washed and dried quickly. I wore the leggings with a wrap-around short skirt or with loose polyester shorts (not convertible travel pants). I slept in my travel pants on walking days and wore them walking around town when I stopped for my extra days of rest along the route.

Last edited:

I always wore runner's winter tights while hiking similar to these . Although now at 82 I can no longer hike I still wear them simply walking every day.
I just ordered a similar pair from Decathlon USA that will arrive this Saturday. They have pockets. Looking forward to trying them. At my age, 67, they have been a Godsend in my daily morning walks, little to no hip pain.

I always walk in running shorts from early Spring to late Fall. If the temperatures fall below 40F/ 4.5C, or if a rain is especially chilly, I wear a light weight pair of Capilene or Smartwool baselayer lowers under my shorts. They are not tight, but snug, and they work well.

For the hip pain issues, (I am assuming that a medico has evaluated for cause) I would look at compression shorts or a hip brace worn under your walking shorts for relief, rather than running tights.

A couple of other potential issues with the hip pain if the cause is unknown, may be (just a thought) related to your choice of shoes, issues with supination or pronation, or a discrepancy of length between the right and left legs.
On the money. Scoliosis, one leg shorter or one leg longer & tight muscles, stretching helps.

he calf sleeves work so well throughout the day, but I take them off at the end of the day's walk and before going to dinner. These help to avoid shin splints.
I have seen this mentioned a couple of times lately in various threads, and while there is some clinical evidence that compression sleeves can somewhat assist with the recovery from shin splint injury, and may help moderate the pain of shin splints during activity, I have not seen any information, other than from vendors selling compression sleeve products and anecdotal stories, that they can prevent shin splints from occurring.

Clinical evidence shows that the mechanisms which cause shin splints are not affected by compression or lack of compression, but are primarily an overuse injury from repetitive stress, overstriding and gait issues, and potentially a reaction to prolonged downhill or uphill walking. Below is a guide I wrote to help in the prevention of shin splints.

----------------------------

Shin Splint Prevention

Warm Up --
ALWAYS warm up prior to exercise and stretch well after exercise.

• Walk at a slower pace at the beginning of each walk.
  • Then perform ankle circles: rotate ankle ten times in one direction, then ten times in opposite direction.
  • Next, do some toe points: point toes, then flex foot - ten times on each foot to get your muscles loosened up.
  • Do the ankle circles and toes points several times each day or write the alphabet in the air with your toes.

After Walking

Stretch your calves, shins, and Achilles’ tendon after every walk. Tight muscles make the shin work harder to lift your foot.

When Walking

Choose a good walking surface. Avoid concrete if possible. If you walk on a road with an obvious camber, try walking out and back on the same side of the road to avoid putting too much stress on one leg.

1. Increase your mileage and speed gradually. The general rule of thumb is to increase mileage at a rate of 10% each week.
  2. Be sure that you are not over striding.
    • Over striding occurs when you take longer steps to increase speed without running. Lengthen the stride in back, rather than in front, to improve power and efficiency in your stride. An overstriding walker has their front foot too far out in front of body. You want instead for your forward foot to contact the ground closer to your body.
    • Your stride should be longer behind your body, where your toe is pushing off, rather than out in front of your body. This is because your forward leg has no power, while your back leg is what is pushing you forward.
  3. Be Aware of Your Step Rate
    • Increasing your cadence or step rate will significantly reduce impact forces. Focus on striking beneath your center of mass and avoid stepping out in front of your body—this will also prevent over striding and braking—to lessen the load placed on the tibia.
Perform Exercises to Strengthen Calves and Shins

Studies demonstrate that bigger and stronger calf muscles have a lower risk of developing tibial stress fractures. Since tibial stress fractures can be the result of shin splints that haven’t been addressed, it makes sense that strengthening your calves may also help walkers avoid medial tibial stress syndrome.

Consider the following strength exercises to help strengthen those calves and the surrounding muscles to help prevent shin splints:

Calf Raises

Standing with your feet slightly apart, raise up onto your toes, pause for 2 seconds, and lower back down. Complete two sets of 15 repetitions.

Toe Walks

Standing on your tiptoes, walk forward 15 yards. Complete two sets of 15 yards.

Foot Pumps

Lie down with your legs straight out in front of your body and your toes pointed toward the sky. In a pumping motion, point your toes back towards your body and then back to the original position. Complete two sets of 20 repetitions.

Heel Drop

Standing on a stair or elevated platform, put your weight on your right foot while lowering your right heel past 90 degrees. Slowly raise back up and repeat before switching sides. Complete two sets of 10 repetitions on each side.

If you have shin pain, you may need to take a day or two of rest and start back more slowly.

Remember
: RICE -- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Ibuprofen is often recommended. There are health risks with this product. So, don't use without doing your own research.

BE AWARE -- There are a couple of related lower leg injuries which some folks may think are shin splints, but require medical intervention:

Compartment Syndrome

Pain on the lower anterior may be compartment syndrome, a swelling of the muscles within the compartment. Increased pressure compromises the area's circulation and function of the tissues in that space. Symptoms include pain, unusual nerve sensations, and muscle weakness. This condition requires a physician's diagnosis and surgical decompression may be necessary.

Stress Fracture

Another cause of pain in the lower leg is a stress fracture. If you have a definite spot of sharp pain when you run your hand along your shin the pain may be a stress fracture. A horizontal rather than vertical line of pain is another indicator and stress fractures normally feel better in the morning after a night of rest. A bone scan is necessary for diagnosis.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
this was part of what I noticed from @peregrina2000’s post yesterday from Alvaro’s YouTube video. Loved it, thanks for posting, Laurie.

Well it’s not a fashion show.

I’m old-school British, in the alps in the 80’s we could be spotted a mile-off; POD black ice rucksack, buffalo smock and Ron Hills; a crime against fashion but still my default leg-wear in anything other than constant sunshine.

Loose shorts over tights, on men, might as well be accompanied by the Stars and Stripes according to my ‘guess whose overtaking you now’ Camino checklist.

If it fits, and it’s comfortable, it’s OK - but not in church in most cases.

Clinical evidence shows that the mechanisms which cause shin splints are not affected by compression or lack of compression, but are primarily an overuse injury from repetitive stress, overstriding and gait issues, and potentially a reaction to prolonged downhill or uphill walking. Below is a guide I wrote to help in the prevention of shin splints.
Too bad my son didn't know about all this information ahead of time when he increased his walking speed and developed terrible shin splints on the Meseta after an afternoon of "be-bopping" to music on his headphones. It took him several days for the pain to subside.

Last edited:

I’m old-school British, in the alps in the 80’s we could be spotted a mile-off; POD black ice rucksack, buffalo smock and Ron Hills; a crime against fashion but still my default leg-wear in anything other than constant sunshine.

Loose shorts over tights, on men, might as well be accompanied by the Stars and Stripes according to my ‘guess whose overtaking you now’ Camino checklist.

Yes!
Being ”across the pond” I half understood your written British, huh? Though, for the record, I subscribe to Brit Box on the tele.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have seen this mentioned a couple of times lately in various threads, and while there is some clinical evidence that compression sleeves can somewhat assist with the recovery from shin splint injury, and may help moderate the pain of shin splints during activity, I have not seen any information, other than from vendors selling compression sleeve products and anecdotal stories, that they can prevent shin splints from occurring.

Shin Splint Prevention

Warm Up --

• Then perform ankle circles: rotate ankle ten times in one direction, then ten times in opposite direction.
  • Next, do some toe points: point toes, then flex foot - ten times on each foot to get your muscles loosened up.
  • Do the ankle circles and toes points several times each day or write the alphabet in the air with your toes.

After Walking

Stretch your calves, shins, and Achilles’ tendon after every walk. Tight muscles make the shin work harder to lift your foot.

When Walking

Choose a good walking surface. Avoid concrete if possible. If you walk on a road with an obvious camber, try walking out and back on the same side of the road to avoid putting too much stress on one leg.

1. Increase your mileage and speed gradually. The general rule of thumb is to increase mileage at a rate of 10% each week.
    • Over striding occurs when you take longer steps to increase speed without running. Lengthen the stride in back, rather than in front, to improve power and efficiency in your stride. An overstriding walker has their front foot too far out in front of body. You want instead for your forward foot to contact the ground closer to your body.
    • Your stride should be longer behind your body, where your toe is pushing off, rather than out in front of your body. This is because your forward leg has no power, while your back leg is what is pushing you forward.
    • Increasing your cadence or step rate will significantly reduce impact forces. Focus on striking beneath your center of mass and avoid stepping out in front of your body—this will also prevent over striding and braking—to lessen the load placed on the tibia.

Studies demonstrate that bigger and stronger calf muscles have a lower risk of developing tibial stress fractures. Since tibial stress fractures can be the result of shin splints that haven’t been addressed, it makes sense that strengthening your calves may also help walkers avoid medial tibial stress syndrome.

Consider the following strength exercises to help strengthen those calves and the surrounding muscles to help prevent shin splints:

Calf Raises

Standing with your feet slightly apart, raise up onto your toes, pause for 2 seconds, and lower back down. Complete two sets of 15 repetitions.

Toe Walks

Foot Pumps

Lie down with your legs straight out in front of your body and your toes pointed toward the sky. In a pumping motion, point your toes back towards your body and then back to the original position. Complete two sets of 20 repetitions.

Heel Drop

Standing on a stair or elevated platform, put your weight on your right foot while lowering your right heel past 90 degrees. Slowly raise back up and repeat before switching sides. Complete two sets of 10 repetitions on each side.

If you have shin pain, you may need to take a day or two of rest and start back more slowly.

Remember
: RICE -- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Ibuprofen is often recommended. There are health risks with this product. So, don't use without doing your own research.

BE AWARE -- There are a couple of related lower leg injuries which some folks may think are shin splints, but require medical intervention:

Compartment Syndrome

Pain on the lower anterior may be compartment syndrome, a swelling of the muscles within the compartment. Increased pressure compromises the area's circulation and function of the tissues in that space. Symptoms include pain, unusual nerve sensations, and muscle weakness. This condition requires a physician's diagnosis and surgical decompression may be necessary.

Stress Fracture

Another cause of pain in the lower leg is a stress fracture. If you have a definite spot of sharp pain when you run your hand along your shin the pain may be a stress fracture. A horizontal rather than vertical line of pain is another indicator and stress fractures normally feel better in the morning after a night of rest. A bone scan is necessary for diagnosis.
Dave, I always like your clear descriptions.

One thing that I didn't see in your description is a comment on body position. I have understood that leaning forward when walking vs an upright body position can lead to shin splints/pain. Maybe my understanding is incorrect? Or perhaps your comments on over striding cover this? What are your comments on body position while walking?

Dave, I always like your clear descriptions.

One thing that I didn't see in your description is a comment on body position. I have understood that leaning forward when walking vs an upright body position can lead to shin splints/pain. Maybe my understanding is incorrect? Or perhaps your comments on over striding cover this? What are your comments on body position while walking?

I believe that body position related to walking uphill or downhill is the the most problematic issue, as the body is at a more acute angle relative to the ankles and lower leg structures. The lengthening or shortening of the pertinent muscles while walking uphill and downhill over a prolonged period, or for multiple days, can exacerbate the issue.

Aside from that I would agree that poor posture, like stooping over while walking, may be a consideration.

Last edited:
Me too, but I need to use subtitles for clarity. 😄
View attachment 119265. Yes!
Being ”across the pond” I half understood your written British, huh? Though, for the record, I subscribe to Brit Box on the tele.
I’m terribly sorry (just to prove my British credencials) I was making a general offhand comment vaguely in the direction of the topic, not intending to ‘reply’ to you directly.

Do carry on.

(🇺🇦)

… still got my Ron Hills!!
And I wanted, but could not afford, a Buffalo smock 😄 They were seriously useful tops!
In men’s fit of course … they didn’t make them for women …
Ah … the good old, bad old days … 😂

Read a lot about benefits of leggings, keep your legs warm, dry quick if they get wet due to body heat in direct contact, ease of movement etc. Wife commented that i should wear shorts over them !!!! So recently saw that a couple of brands now manufacture mens and womens hiking leggings that the top half is a typical stretchy trouser with a zip fly etc and the legs are stretch and snug. Absolutely love them ❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Re: not in church - I always wear leggings running and hiking and was planning to wear them on my Camino this spring. Are you saying leggings are a no-no in churches? I had not thought of that…

😯
I kept warm with merino wool lightweight tights from REI in September / October 2018 with my Macabi regular length (not the short version) walking skirt. There was no skirt creep that I recall. I also had worn the skirt for a year beforehand while walking to train for the Camino. Having been washed iseveral times, it did not creep up (which it did when new). I found it useful to wear the tights in the cold mornings and take them off by 10 or 11AM.

Re: not in church - I always wear leggings running and hiking and was planning to wear them on my Camino this spring. Are you saying leggings are a no-no in churches? I had not thought of that…

As long as what you are wearing is modest it will be fine. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable when doing so, or when just wearing my running shorts. From the many 'Buen Caminos' I received, I had the impression that the regular worshippers were used to Pilgrim visitors and the clothing limitations that being a pilgrim might entail.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As long as what you are wearing is modest it will be fine. I have never been made to feel uncomfortable when doing so, or when just wearing my running shorts. I had the impression that the regular worshippers were used to Pilgrim visitors and the clothing choices that entails, along with many 'Buen Caminos' directed my way..
Ok, thanks!

I've only ever used them to prevent chafing and blisters about the knees from when I needed knee braces.

But I found them to be too hot. Though for a couple of years, it was either that or don't hike.

Shin Splint Prevention

Warm Up --

After Walking

When Walking

Calf Raises

Toe Walks

Foot Pumps

Heel Drop

Remember

Compartment Syndrome

Stress Fracture

Thanks Dave for the detailed & informative post. I will be saving this to keep on hand for preparing for my April VDLP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
… still got my Ron Hills!!
And I wanted, but could not afford, a Buffalo smock 😄 They were seriously useful tops!
In men’s fit of course … they didn’t make them for women …
Ah … the good old, bad old days … 😂
Still have my Ron Hills after 32years! Unfortunately not fit for camino wear now. One pair ikghtly holey ans shattered with paint, other cot off at the knees ans also paint splattered. Still very comfy.

For my summer Camino I wore yoga shorts. I loved them as they are quick dry and have pockets. My cell phone slips in and out nicely. I then wear compression socks with the feet cut out so I can wear smart wool socks. This is the first time I wore compression socks. What difference. I had less pain and more energy at the end of my walking. I’ll use this combo always!!! Hopefully you’ll find the right combo for you. 😎👣 Buen Camino.
4DB13674-39FA-422A-8D52-2921980F3BD1.jpegC06B37F2-20AF-454F-8ADF-0D5DBDA1AFD5.jpeg
PS:The yoga’s come in full length (I wear here in winter for my walks) Mid length half calf and the shorts shown in pics. ☺️

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On both Camino Frances and Via Francigena I wore leggings and calf sleeves. I chose calf sleeves that did not include the feet so that I could control the affect of the socks that I love to wear hiking. The calf sleeves work so well throughout the day, but I take them off at the end of the day's walk and before going to dinner. These help to avoid shin splints. Both leggings and calf sleeves help blood circulation and help with the day to day walking fatigue. My "medium compression" leggings are not compression tights by today's standards, but they helped greatly and washed and dried quickly. I wore the leggings with a wrap-around short skirt or with loose polyester shorts (not convertible travel pants). I slept in my travel pants on walking days and wore them walking around town when I stopped for my extra days of rest along the route.
I like the sound of calf sleeves but have never heard of them. Googling now! 😀

Some people are happy to crunch crisps in the cinema (chips? I’m not sure where you’re from) others are not.

Spain is much more liberal than it once was, but the answer depends very much on your own personal feeling as to what is appropriate, and what is not.

The fact that many (very many) have visited churches dressed in what some might describe as ‘immodest’ clothing is what it is. I’m not Catholic (or catholic - there is a difference, even if apples’s spellchecker says otherwise!) but I try to respect what I (perhaps mistakenly think) are the established norms.

So - I don’t know whether you’re male or female and respect that you might identify as any of the three ( and counting) genders but, let’s go with female and biological woman.

Pretty much anything goes, but bare shoulders have been a problem in some places ( St Pedro and St Marco in my wife’s experience)

Trousers and leggings - no problem in the C21

Yoga pants or tights? Not so simple.

For men (I’ll not recite all the lifestyle choices.) It comes down to shorts, or not.

It’s unlikely that you’ll be barred from a ‘normal’ church in shorts, but (in my opinion, which I’m entitled to) you’ll look like you’re unaware that you’re in a place which some consider sacred. If that’ s OK with you, carry on.

So there’s no correct answer. If you’re on Camino, and have a genuine interest in a church whether for religious reasons or otherwise, the probability is that you will be welcomed, and rightly so IMHO. Queue for the Cathedral in a mankini even if you’re a Cardinal you’ll be chucked out, there are often no rules, just a sense of mutual respect.

🇺🇦

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is there Spring in the air in the Northern Hemisphere? There seems to be a lot of subtle humour on the forum today.

On a darker note, when I visited Europe in 2019 I did plan around this visit being the last time I saw Europe. 😢

There was no skirt creep that I recall. I also had worn the skirt for a year beforehand while walking to train for the Camino. Having been washed iseveral times, it did not creep up (which it did when new). I found it useful to wear the tights in the cold mornings and take them off by 10 or 11AM.
🤔Hmmmm. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
My skirt is not a Macabi, but just cotton.
Maybe it matters whether the tights are synthetic ot wool?

So I got curious. Not being a fasionista, I had no idea - but it's a common problem with a few easy solutions:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are compression socks the same socks u can wear on plane journeys?

Some people are happy to crunch crisps in the cinema (chips? I’m not sure where you’re from) others are not.

Spain is much more liberal than it once was, but the answer depends very much on your own personal feeling as to what is appropriate, and what is not.

The fact that many (very many) have visited churches dressed in what some might describe as ‘immodest’ clothing is what it is. I’m not Catholic (or catholic - there is a difference, even if apples’s spellchecker says otherwise!) but I try to respect what I (perhaps mistakenly think) are the established norms.

So - I don’t know whether you’re male or female and respect that you might identify as any of the three ( and counting) genders but, let’s go with female and biological woman.

Pretty much anything goes, but bare shoulders have been a problem in some places ( St Pedro and St Marco in my wife’s experience)

Trousers and leggings - no problem in the C21

Yoga pants or tights? Not so simple.

For men (I’ll not recite all the lifestyle choices.) It comes down to shorts, or not.

It’s unlikely that you’ll be barred from a ‘normal’ church in shorts, but (in my opinion, which I’m entitled to) you’ll look like you’re unaware that you’re in a place which some consider sacred. If that’ s OK with you, carry on.

So there’s no correct answer. If you’re on Camino, and have a genuine interest in a church whether for religious reasons or otherwise, the probability is that you will be welcomed, and rightly so IMHO. Queue for the Cathedral in a mankini even if you’re a Cardinal you’ll be chucked out, there are often no rules, just a sense of mutual respect.

Anyway, on another topic altogether, this is my valedictory post here. For probably rather childish reasons, I think I’ve said all that I need to here over many years. My deepest respects to the excellent moderators and Ivar and
We found that men were always asked to take their hats off in every Catholic church we visited in Spain and Italy (as well as in other mostly Catholic countries). Other than that, we never found we were unwelcome unless there was a mass going on and even then we were allowed in, but to restricted areas with no talking or photos allowed during mass.

Though dress codes have relaxed over the years, the men with hats off appears to still be alive and well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Goodness, I had not even considered my shin splints and I do get them. I'll have to find calf sleeves! Mahalo for mentioning this!

We found that men were always asked to take their hats off in every Catholic church we visited in Spain and Italy (as well as in other mostly Catholic countries). Other than that, we never found we were unwelcome unless there was a mass going on and even then we were allowed in, but to restricted areas with no talking or photos allowed during mass.

Though dress codes have relaxed over the years, the men with hats off appears to still be alive and well.
Men have always had to take off hats in a catholic church whereas until the 70s women had to wear one!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I used full length skins under shorts. They were fantastic in the rain for body temperature regulation (we walked in July-August and had first and last day cold and wet), great for cool early mornings and I'd take them off when the sun warmed up. They dry so quickly there was never a problem with having to wear soggy clothes! If we get to do it again, I'd pack some bike shorts, too.

Men have always had to take off hats in a catholic church whereas until the 70s women had to wear one!
The hat you refer to for women is called a “mantilla.” Grew up Catholic in a Latin American country and some men were allowed to wear ceremonial hats (always of religious origin). If a woman showed up wearing a hat instead of a mantilla, she was turned away. I have beautiful mantillas from way back when and the “peinete” that was placed in your hair to hold the mantilla away from your hairdo and face. At any rate, this is just a bit of historical perspective, as I am ancient 😁

Goodness, I had not even considered my shin splints and I do get them. I'll have to find calf sleeves! Mahalo for mentioning this!
There is some clinical evidence that compression sleeves can somewhat assist with the recovery from shin splint injury, and may help moderate the pain of shin splints during activity. I have not seen any information based on objective, clinical evidence that they can prevent shin splints from occurring.

I would include them in your kit in case shin splints do occur, but I would not rely on compression sleeves or stockings to KEEP shin splints from occurring. In my earlier post in this thread, I did post a guide for specific actions that can be taken to help prevent shin splints from occurring.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is some clinical evidence that compression sleeves can somewhat assist with the recovery from shin splint injury, and may help moderate the pain of shin splints during activity. I have not seen any information based on objective, clinical evidence that they can prevent shin splints from occurring.

I would include them in your kit in case shin splints do occur, but I would not rely on compression sleeves or stockings to KEEP shin splints from occurring. In my earlier post in this thread, I did post a guide for specific actions that can be taken to help prevent shin splints from occurring.
Mahalo Nui
I think my biggest chance of not getting them is to not try and power walk or walk too far before I build up a little stamina. I found some compression socks so am throwing them in to help with the discomfort as you suggest might help. I'll look for what you referenced you wrote.

For my summer Camino I wore yoga shorts. I loved them as they are quick dry and have pockets. My cell phone slips in and out nicely. I then wear compression socks with the feet cut out so I can wear smart wool socks. This is the first time I wore compression socks. What difference. I had less pain and more energy at the end of my walking. I’ll use this combo always!!! Hopefully you’ll find the right combo for you. 😎👣 Buen Camino.
View attachment 119307View attachment 119308
PS:The yoga’s come in full length (I wear here in winter for my walks) Mid length half calf and the shorts shown in pics. ☺️
Which yoga shorts/legging are you wearing exactly ? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don’t know about their utility for pain, but I always have a pair of running tights with me. Generally speaking I have my tights as a base layer and my convertible pants over top. That’s how I start on any given morning. By mid-morning, I might take the bottoms off the trousers and just have the shorts over the tights. By mid-afternoon I might switch to just shorts or just running tights.
I find I get the most “climate control” with this combination.
Cooler evenings: running tights under my dress that I wear to dinner/museums/mass etc.
Hi!
I leave in two weeks and I too wanted to bring a dress. Could you tell me what dress you took? Thankyou!

In the winter I wear a black "rip skirt" brand over my gray wool boucle knit tights for evening in the alberbue and to church, etc. Rip skirt is super easy for in and out of the shower and modesty to put on tights or change underwear. In the day, I walk in Duluth Trading Co in Flexpedition cargo pants (good pockets, some rain resistance, fit over a pair of light wool capri tights if needed).

In the summer, Duluth capris (Dry on the Fly) and a merino t-shirt for walking in the day. Dress in evening is a "creation L" summer dress for this July. Also taking an a longer length board skort from Lands End to double for hiking, swimming, sleeping and a Duluth tank top with built in bra (walking, swimming or sleeping) and I wear a white XPG fishing shirt for sun protection.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.