• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leisurely Day Off

HallOfFreedom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés April 26, 2016
I'll be honest, the actual walking portion of my Camino for the first 3 days was awful. Over-burdened and out of shape, that mountain took everything I had and more. The next two days were filled with painful reminders of what I'd been through, and I was not enjoying myself much.

But I replenished my Ibuprofen stock, got rid of excess baggage, and made a reservation in Puenta la Reina, and so my fourth day was slow-paced, pain-free, and rewarding. Truly yesterday was a gift from God and I'm glad I pushed on for it.

But today I have a cough and a couple uncooperative blisters, so I am just enjoying the day in PlR. Meeting many interesting and diverse people. God is good and Spain is beautiful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hall of Freedom
How are you treating your Blisters, where are they on your feet? I ask because I have some experience with mine & many others.

One is south of my big toe, and the other is in the middle, front of the arch. My issue is they don't want to drain. I pulled a thread through them like every website and book says to, but to no avail

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One is south of my big toe, and the other is in the middle, front of the arch. My issue is they don't want to drain. I pulled a thread through them like every website and book says to, but to no avail

Sigh! Big sigh! Honestly those writers should be ... No, take the thread out, it is the best way to get a nasty infection, especially when it is warm and moist. A thread is like a ladder for the germs to climb under your skin.

Instead clean/disinfect skin, take a pair of nail scissors, well disinfected, and make a small triangular cut in the skin of the blister. Do NOT remove the skin, just make a small cut big enough to drain it properly. Take some gauze or similar and press liquid out. If you are not allergic to iodine and have no thyroid problems you can use Betadine and a band aid or similar to give it some compression. Good luck, SY

sYates has described it very well! I am even more strict for cleanliness.
Wash feet first
use cigar lighter the kind like a mini blow torch To burn sissors or needle.
Have gauze & antibiotic cream next to you
Carefully cut or stab with needle use gauze to drain completely
Put on antibiotic cream.
I dress with mole skin

Some thoughts on why your getting them:
Too much slide in shoe make a spacer from any shoe soles you can find to build up the area effected do this by putting under existing foot bed.
Wear soft wool socks
Change every 2 hours
For hot spots look on fence lines for wool, yep start looking for sheep. Use it as another way to pad areas affected.
Drink more water!!
Just curious as I wore Keens, same type of issues until I found some "Sole" foot beds. But my building up reduced the blisters.

Last edited:
A friend in Oz gave me a pack of "trekkers wool" for a Camino present.. clean high lanolin fleece strands.. yum! I am heading to Spain tomorrow to start walking by Thursday... my aim is a blister free month :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I wear a pair of thin sheer women's black stockings (ankle highs) next to my feet and wear my woolen socks over those. Never had a blister even though I did no training for the 113 kms I walked last year. I know that 113 kms is nothing but it is long enough to get blisters if you're not ready for it.

I wear a pair of thin sheer women's black stockings (ankle highs) next to my feet and wear my woolen socks over those. Never had a blister even though I did no training for the 113 kms I walked last year. I know that 113 kms is nothing but it is long enough to get blisters if you're not ready for it.
10 km is enough to get blisters!

A friend in Oz gave me a pack of "trekkers wool" for a Camino present.. clean high lanolin fleece strands.. yum! I am heading to Spain tomorrow to start walking by Thursday... my aim is a blister free month :)
Have a wonder filled journey. I am behind you by one week. Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You already passed Pamplona, a fine rest day spot, albeit rather early on in the Camino Frances. S0, considering where you are, heading west, consider a rest day at Logrono, Santo Domingo de la Calzadas, or Burgos. At each place, you can find interesting things to do and places to visit during the layover.

Farther down the road, you could well plan a extra day at Leon, Astorga, or Sarria. I regularly stay an extra day at Leon, as it is the regional capital, has a magnificent cathedral, and every conceivable thing you could need. Astorga has interesting architecture, history, and is the center of Spain's chocolate industry. Sarria is 111 Km from the Plaza Obradoiro in Santiago, in front of the Cathedral. The center of this square contains the "official" distance marker. Sarria also has everything a pilgrim could need, readily to hand.

As regards Sarria and the now opening, annual "peak season," I advise planning you earlier Camino stages to arrive at Sarria not on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. As many pilgrims start their Camino from Sarria, obtaining lodging CAN at times be difficult, especially during the summer season. However, if you arrive Monday through Thursday evening, lodging should not be a problem. But there are other considerations. Please read on...

Personally, I try to arrange my pace earlier on to arrive at Sarria from Tuesday through Thursday afternoon, as that avoids both the starting surge and resultant demand for bed space for people starting our, as well as the follow-on "wave" of pilgrims leaving Sarria each Saturday, Sunday or even Monday morning on their way to Santiago. This factors in the surge or "pig in a python" effect of a large number of pilgrims all leaving on what is routinely a five-day walk to Santiago. If you leave when everyone else does, then bed space will be comparatively more difficult to secure for the same five-days on your way to Santiago.

The equation is this; assuming you want to arrive at Santiago (also not on Friday or Saturday afternoon to avoid the surge at each night's stop), and working backwards from that, backing up five-days, the optimum window to arrive at Sarria, stay one-night and continue on to Santiago would be arriving at Sarria on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. These are relatively easy days to obtain lodging at Sarria, and you also avoid getting swamped at Santiago on the back end. If you arrive at Sarria on these three days, and leave the following day for your five-day walk to Santiago, you would normally arrive at Santiago on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

After Sarria, it is a surge or push to get to Santiago. It seems to affect people like a magnet. You will not want to stop the farther along you get. however, if you have medical issues, DO take your time. St. James is not going anywhere anytime soon...He will still be there when you arrive.

I hope this helps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have some lamb's wool but haven't figured out how to use it.

I'll be honest, the actual walking portion of my Camino for the first 3 days was awful. Over-burdened and out of shape, that mountain took everything I had and more. The next two days were filled with painful reminders of what I'd been through, and I was not enjoying myself much.

But I replenished my Ibuprofen stock, got rid of excess baggage, and made a reservation in Puenta la Reina, and so my fourth day was slow-paced, pain-free, and rewarding. Truly yesterday was a gift from God and I'm glad I pushed on for it.

But today I have a cough and a couple uncooperative blisters, so I am just enjoying the day in PlR. Meeting many interesting and diverse people. God is good and Spain is beautiful!
Agree! It is starting to get easier. We just went through Puente la Reina and are at Manera. You will probably pass us tomorrow. Get some ibuprofen gel too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You already passed Pamplona, a fine rest day spot, albeit rather early on in the Camino Frances. S0, considering where you are, heading west, consider a rest day at Logrono, Santo Domingo de la Calzadas, or Burgos. At each place, you can find interesting things to do and places to visit during the layover.

Farther down the road, you could well plan a extra day at Leon, Astorga, or Sarria. I regularly stay an extra day at Leon, as it is the regional capital, has a magnificent cathedral, and every conceivable thing you could need. Astorga has interesting architecture, history, and is the center of Spain's chocolate industry. Sarria is 111 Km from the Plaza Obradoiro in Santiago, in front of the Cathedral. The center of this square contains the "official" distance marker. Sarria also has everything a pilgrim could need, readily to hand.

As regards Sarria and the now opening, annual "peak season," I advise planning you earlier Camino stages to arrive at Sarria not on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. As many pilgrims start their Camino from Sarria, obtaining lodging CAN at times be difficult, especially during the summer season. However, if you arrive Monday through Thursday evening, lodging should not be a problem. But there are other considerations. Please read on...

Personally, I try to arrange my pace earlier on to arrive at Sarria from Tuesday through Thursday afternoon, as that avoids both the starting surge and resultant demand for bed space for people starting our, as well as the follow-on "wave" of pilgrims leaving Sarria each Saturday, Sunday or even Monday morning on their way to Santiago. This factors in the surge or "pig in a python" effect of a large number of pilgrims all leaving on what is routinely a five-day walk to Santiago. If you leave when everyone else does, then bed space will be comparatively more difficult to secure for the same five-days on your way to Santiago.

The equation is this; assuming you want to arrive at Santiago (also not on Friday or Saturday afternoon to avoid the surge at each night's stop), and working backwards from that, backing up five-days, the optimum window to arrive at Sarria, stay one-night and continue on to Santiago would be arriving at Sarria on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. These are relatively easy days to obtain lodging at Sarria, and you also avoid getting swamped at Santiago on the back end. If you arrive at Sarria on these three days, and leave the following day for your five-day walk to Santiago, you would normally arrive at Santiago on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

After Sarria, it is a surge or push to get to Santiago. It seems to affect people like a magnet. You will not want to stop the farther along you get. however, if you have medical issues, DO take your time. St. James is not going anywhere anytime soon...He will still be there when you arrive.

I hope this helps.
Pig in a python. Perfect image! :p

Exactly what I use too. No blisters here either when I walked over 1,000kms on the Camino last year wearing ladies' ankle stockings under my smartwool socks in my Merrel Moab mid-height boots.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back