• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Length of first day to Vila de Conde

cardozohughes

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
The first day out of Porto seems long. Why do many books recommend going all the way to Vila de Conde? Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks,
Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Laurie!
The stages are just suggestions you don't have to walk that far!
For my first day out of Porto on the Coastal i stopped in Cabo Do Mundo at Caravela guest house (host even took me to the supermarket in her car. )17km from Porto and split the stage. I paid for a room with shared bathroom but as i was only guest i got the whole ground floor apartment for the same price.
Caravela is right on the path.
Woody

The first day out of Porto seems long. Why do many books recommend going all the way to Vila de Conde? Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks,
Laurie
Some people choose to take the public transportation a little bit of the way, as the lodging options are "limited", and walking in urban areas can be a bit boring.

I hope this helps.

Lettinggo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The suggested 30km stage might feel a bit long for some, especially if it's on day one. But I love that walk from the Ribeira straight out to the ocean at Foz and up the coast along promenades, coastal villages and boardwalks, a good feed of sardines and a cold beer or two from any number of places along the way. I've walked it more than a dozen times, sometimes just for something to do when visiting Porto.

If you plan walking it in one go, I would suggest (getting your credential and sello at the cathedral out of the way the day before) starting out at first light to enjoy it at your own pace.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why do many books recommend going all the way to Vila de Conde?
I have often wondered this about guidebook stages, and over the years observed two basic approaches:

• chapter organisation by stages. Brierley takes this approach. His CF guide seems to do this on the mystical basis of taking 33 days to walk from SJPP to SDC.
  • chapter organisation by regions. This approach is taken by Raimund Joos in his CF guide. From memory, Alison Raju takes a similar approach in her guidebooks.
Mind you, there are many other structures.

In the case of Vila de Conde, it appears to be where the Camino Portuguese Coastal and Senda Littoral come together, and it also seems to be one of the places where one could choose to rejoin the Central by walking across to Rates. As others have said, there is nothing that compels you to choose it to end your day. Choose somewhere that suits you, not the guidebook author.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks,
Laurie
It's long but fairly flat. Different guides have different conceptions of how long a day should be. And they tend to like ending days on towns with more infrastructure and services.

That said, I ended my own first day at Vila Chã because I didn't walk that far. Vila Chã has a nice albergue with a small museum to the local fishing industry on the grounds. Others like to end at Vila do Conde but break the first stage into two days, stopping at Matosinhos for an even easier start to their Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back