• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LEO badge

Waterlassie

So Cal Stroller
Time of past OR future Camino
April, 2019
I've done a quick search and can't find this addressed, though I'm sure there must be something...
For those of you who are current or retired law enforcement officers, do you carry your flat badge with you?
I'm leaving tomorrow and thought I would bring it, but it is another 8 ounces.... :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've done a quick search and can't find this addressed, though I'm sure there must be something...
For those of you who are current or retired law enforcement officers, do you carry your flat badge with you?
I'm leaving tomorrow and thought I would bring it, but it is another 8 ounces.... :)
IAm a retired LEO from south Florida and did not carry one. Of course I am the type with holes drilled in my toothbrush handle to save weight

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ex-cop (left, didn't retire). It won't do you any good for anything, other than connecting with LEO in Spain as a sign of camaraderie. I wouldn't bring it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On a slightly on topic/off topic to this thread, I have heard that some of the police stations in Spain will stamp one's credentials. Is that true?
I did introduce myself as a former copper to some of the Spanish police and took photos with them, and even walked with a couple who were also doing the Camino. One was a member of the Guardia Civil and I walked with him and his wife for several hours one day. Very nice couple.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am an anarchist but never brought my balaclava!

Did get to walk with some great cops though. In 2015 I walked much of the Frances with a young German cop, the Spanish pilgrims called us 'the cop and the anarchist'! (Bless you Arn). To be fair, to us we were 'just' pilgrims. And one of the beautiful things of the Camino is meeting people you would never consider meeting. The Camino does that to you on purpose! Last time I walked with a bank manager (just don't tell my friends) :p

Bring it with you if you want to.

Buen Camino
Davey

On a slightly on topic/off topic to this thread, I have heard that some of the police stations in Spain will stamp one's credentials. Is that true?

Don't know about that, but I went to the first police station in Spain that I could find once we crossed over from France and got them to stamp my real passport (wanted something in there to show I had been to Spain). Returning to the US, they didn't even look at /comment on it.

I am an anarchist but never brought my balaclava!

Did get to walk with some great cops though. In 2015 I walked much of the Frances with a young German cop, the Spanish pilgrims called us 'the cop and the anarchist'! (Bless you Arn). To be fair, to us we were 'just' pilgrims. And one of the beautiful things of the Camino is meeting people you would never consider meeting. The Camino does that to you on purpose! Last time I walked with a bank manager (just don't tell my friends) :p

Bring it with you if you want to.

Buen Camino
Davey
Yes, that is a great thing about walking the Camino.
Also, overall I found that most fellow pilgrims do not ask about what one does or did for a living. I never do, and most of the times I have been asked it was because of my tattoos from when I was in the military.
I never mentioned in conversation what I do.
Where one is from is generally the most asked question.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, that is a great thing about walking the Camino.
Also, overall I found that most fellow pilgrims do not ask about what one does or did for a living. I never do, and most of the times I have been asked it was because of my tattoos from when I was in the military.
Where one is from is generally the most asked question.

I agree, it does not really matter what one is or does. Though in the case I said about the young German cop he told me he was a police officer, I replied Oh I am an anarchist. We had a beer and walked together for weeks. I am ex military (British Infantryman) and I met an ex IRA soldier in an albergue. Everyone was expecting at least an argument, but to us? No, it is over, we are both 'ex' whatever, and we had more than a few beers and laughs, we were pilgrims only. Ive met an Israeli soldier walking with a Kurdish freedom fighter, a female nun walking with an alchoholic. And if you walk in winter you will likely share your albergue with a young prisoner walking with a guard (usually Belgian or French). We are not rich or poor, or white, black, brown (or green or purple), or English or Armenian, male or female, on the camino, we are all 'just pilgrims', which is extraordinary in todays world, and why the camino is a beautiful respite from our day to day lives. And why it is getting more popular every year.

I met a Belgian lady (73 years old) who has been walking caminos non stop for ten years. When I asked her why she said 'because of you'. I had just met her. I agree, the best thing about the Way for me is the people, us, the pilgrims and the locals too. Every pilgrim is a teacher and a pupil. We learn from each other.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Hope to have a beer (or cafe con leche) with you all one day on the Way.

Buen Camino!
Davey

No need to carry a badge. LEOs know how to spot and talk to each other. If you are really into camaraderie and bonding, perhaps if you have lapel-pin versions of your badge.

I am a retired US federal LEO. My badge is WAY too heavy to carry. Plus, it might engender more questions than I/you want to take on.

I have on occasion carried several lapel pins in a ziplock bag, in case I found myself in a "pin-exchange" situation. But after two Caminos without needing them, they were relegated to the too damn heavy pile...

When I encounter a member of the Guardia Civil, Policia Nacional, or local P.D., if I am in a position to introduce myself, I frequently am while volunteering at the Pilgrim Office, I do so, and inform them of my retired status. They immediately go into full respect mode. I reciprocate.

When I have had to engage local LEOs professionally, on the street, or in the station, I always append my personal introduction with the fact of my retirement from federal LEO service. That usually gets faster service and more interest. Other than that, there is no advantage to being badge-heavy on Camino, at least IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Why? I am really sorry, but I really don´t understand. I don´t even necessarily want people on the Camino to know what I have done in my professional life. I really want to connect to them because we connect as human beings, not because of something I did or was or am in my professional history. ???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm bringing a couple shoulder patches, but that's mainly for possible trading after my shortened Camino. Or, may just hand them out if someone "makes" me... just the right size for a beer coaster!

I don't plan on discussing my job. While very proud after 29 years (1 to go!) I am the type to leave work... at work.

Buen Camino!

I usually advise Americans to NOT broadcast that fact by logos, flag, or patches on rucksacks, hats, t-shirts, etc. US brands / logo are fine as they are sold globally. But, and by way of an acute example, wearing a red MAGA ball cap, or items of military type gear is NOT a good idea at present. Wearing anything that screams "I am an American" could attract unwanted attention.

The reason is simple. In many countries, access to all sides of news and information on issues is not as dynamic as it is in North America. As a consequence, there are many folks you will meet who are fine people and nice to be with in their own right. But, not everyone necessarily likes America or Americans. To each his or her own...

In my experience, if some folks find out too soon that you are an American, you could become their lightning rod for all things they dislike about America, writ large. You might become their 'scapegoat' or 'whipping boy' just because you are there. It has happened to me many times over decades of travel. This is not limited to the Camino. I can deal with it. Not everyone can.

Please do not be put off by this. Also, I am not making categorical statements intended to slam any person or place. This post SHOULD NOT be intended as having a political subtext.

I am just suggesting that you take it slow, and go with the flow, until you know people well enough. You will meet many people from all over the world. The key to getting on with everyone you meet is to deal with them through the context of the Camino.

We all share that affinity and common goal. We are all pilgrims... Differences in race, religion, place of birth, etc. are much less important than you might realize when on Camino.

I have made many acquaintances and friends over a glass of cerveza or vino, that I might not have otherwise have met or engaged with, if not for the Camino. You just need to avoid subjects that are touchy and concentrate on those areas of shared interest. Over the years, I have learned to LOVE Spanish futbol (soccer), especially during the summer tournaments.

In my wanderings, I always try to take each person I meet as an opportunity to show them that I am a person just as they are. I am a global citizen, I am also a pilgrim, then I am an American. I am proud of my nationality. I just do not broadcast it for all to see, first.

I sincerely hope this helps the dialog.

I have heard that some of the police stations in Spain will stamp one's credentials. Is that true?
I asked for a stamp at the Policia Local in Guadix (after failing to get my credential stamped in the places I tried that day). The officer on duty refused because "It's an official stamp."

On the topic of attitudes to retired police or military personnel - I have found that many of the people who are involved in Camino Associations have military and law enforcement backgrounds. I know that there's mutual respect and interest for their counterparts from other countries. I doubt that a badge is necessary to establish the connection.
I met a retired Spanish policeman who stayed the night at the Guardia Civil headquarters in Zamora. I don't know if that hospitality was extended to him because of his status as a former police officer or if there was some other connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually advise Americans to NOT broadcast that fact by logos, flag, or patches on rucksacks, hats, t-shirts, etc. US brands / logo are fine as they are sold globally. But, and by way of an acute example, wearing a red MAGA ball cap, or items of military type gear is NOT a good idea at present. Wearing anything that screams "I am an American" could attract unwanted attention.

On my last Camino, we never experienced the anger against the US, but several people were surprised to learn we were American (guess they thought we were Canadian - must be because we live so close to the US-Canada border, speak quietly, and try to be polite and unassuming).

So, just wondering if my Thin Blue Line sticker I have on my laptop might engender hostility (sorry, refuse to remove it - keep it there in honor of a couple of co-workers killed in the line of duty)?

1554653560369.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did introduce myself as a former copper to some of the Spanish police and took photos with them, and even walked with a couple who were also doing the Camino. One was a member of the Guardia Civil and I walked with him and his wife for several hours one day. Very nice couple.

I have several Guardia Civil stamps collected along the more obscure Caminos. They seemed happy to do so (note that the Guardia Civil has a mandate to care for pilgrim safety) and I get handshakes all round. The first time I had a police stamp was when a Guardia car collected me on the Cami Catalan on a hot day with a stern lecture that a foreign pilgrim dying of heatstroke on their turf would cause no end of paperwork--- along with the sello at their cuartel, I got a coffee and some fresh orange juice (this causes amusement among some Spanish friends who have not had similar experiences with the Guardia).

In some places, such as Tarazona and Utebo, the municipal police have the job of affixing sellos to pilgrims' credenciales (keeping an eye on us transient desperadoes, no doubt!).

As far as the OP goes, I see little point in carrying a badge on the Camino. You will, in any case, find yourself walking with hoodlums and cops (even judges) in a Damon Runyonesque sort of way, but you might find them harder to tell apart than expected.

So, just wondering if my Thin Blue Line sticker I have on my laptop might engender hostility (sorry, refuse to remove it - keep it there in honor of a couple of co-workers killed in the line of duty)?
I hope that you never encounter hostility but it's a reality that someone with a chip on their shoulder might react negatively. If you know that it might happen you may be better prepared to respond appropriately. It's up to you what that response should be - I would hope that anyone who expressed disapproval would be chastened to hear that it's in memory of your co-workers. But there are a few jerks who won't reflect on that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my last Camino, we never experienced the anger against the US, but several people were surprised to learn we were American (guess they thought we were Canadian - must be because we live so close to the US-Canada border, speak quietly, and try to be polite and unassuming).

View attachment 54540
I would guess that most fellow pilgrims would not recognize the difference between that flag emblem and a regular red, white and blue one. I would not give it any thought and you will find most fellow pilgrims will not even notice.
I hold two passports, one being a US. I have a tattoo that is visible and most definite identifies me as a veteran of the US military. Nobody has ever exhibited open hostility towards me on the Camino, and I have met several military veterans from other countries who see the tattoo and strike up camaraderie.
I walk for myself, not for anyone else's acceptance or to be a social butterfly. If they do not like me, eff em.

I hope that you never encounter hostility but it's a reality that someone with a chip on their shoulder might react negatively. If you know that it might happen you may be better prepared to respond appropriately. It's up to you what that response should be - I would hope that anyone who expressed disapproval would be chastened to hear that it's in memory of your co-workers. But there are a few jerks who won't reflect on that.

Alas, there are jerks everywhere. I've learned to ignore them and get on with getting on. Less stress on my part.

View attachment 54540

You will be fine. No one will see the laptop sticker, except when you have it out. If they ask, then explain what it is and why you have it. As the black, white and blue is markedly different from the standard red, white and blue, it should should engender an honest question.

The honest answer is that this logo represents the fraternity and solidarity with law enforcement and officers in the US. I have it there to remember friends of mine who dies in the line of duty. Simple, honest and direct.

You will be fine.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

The reason is simple. In many countries, access to all sides of news and information on issues is not as dynamic as it is in North America. As a consequence, there are many folks you will meet who are fine people and nice to be with in their own right. But, not everyone necessarily likes America or Americans. To each his or her own...

In my experience, if some folks find out too soon that you are an American, you could become their lightning rod for all things they dislike about America, writ large. You might become their 'scapegoat' or 'whipping boy' just because you are there. It has happened to me many times over decades of travel. This is not limited to the Camino. I can deal with it. Not everyone can.

Please do not be put off by this. Also, I am not making categorical statements intended to slam any person or place. This post SHOULD NOT be intended as having a political subtext.

I am just suggesting that you take it slow, and go with the flow, until you know people well enough. You will meet many people from all over the world. The key to getting on with everyone you meet is to deal with them through the context of the Camino.

We all share that affinity and common goal. We are all pilgrims... Differences in race, religion, place of birth, etc. are much less important than you might realize when on Camino.

I have made many acquaintances and friends over a glass of cerveza or vino, that I might not have otherwise have met or engaged with, if not for the Camino. You just need to avoid subjects that are touchy and concentrate on those areas of shared interest. Over the years, I have learned to LOVE Spanish futbol (soccer), especially during the summer tournaments.

In my wanderings, I always try to take each person I meet as an opportunity to show them that I am a person just as they are. I am a global citizen, I am also a pilgrim, then I am an American. I am proud of my nationality. I just do not broadcast it for all to see, first.

I sincerely hope this helps the dialog.

I, too, love futbol! And of course it's available in nearly every cafe one enters. Find American football excruciatingly boring. (Sorry if that offends)

I certainly hope that never happens to me. I am all for the old bit of turning the other cheek, taking the higher road, but if some peregrino dude tries to make me a scapegoat or whipping boy after I have had a couple of vinos or beer in me, it may turn my peaceful religious pilgrimage into a not so peaceful one... :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I certainly hope that never happens to me. I am all for the old bit of turning the other cheek, taking the higher road, but if some peregrino dude tries to make me a scapegoat or whipping boy after I have had a couple of vinos or beer in me, it may turn my peaceful religious pilgrimage into a not so peaceful one... :D

That is what they are hoping you do, to further their narrative of the 'ugly American.' I learned a long time ago that we are all representatives of our country when we travel. People who have never been to the US, have a preconceived notion formed by TV shows and the news media.

Also, when in any foreign country, we are guests in that country and should behave in a manner beyond reproach. Being a few drinks up in a cafe after a day of walking is not the time to engage in heated debate or argument with anyone about anything.

The better course of action IMHO, is to smile and agree, to a point, then absent yourself from the heat of the moment. I always try to avoid reinforcing someone's negative opinions of my country and my fellows by going out of my way to be agreeable.

I usually interject the old saw (from the US) about how I might find you disagreeable and perhaps incorrect, but that I will fight to the death to defend your right to be that way. The absolute defense of personal liberties does not exist worldwide. THAT usually always perplexes most foreigners because they simply cannot relate.

Over my decades of global travel, I have diffused several arguments and almost arguments using that phrase. I was taught it when I was younger. I wore the uniform to defend it, and I still abide by the duty I swore the oath to defend - three times.

I hope this helps.

THIS! What @t2andreo just said ( beyond reproach ) IMHO, should be what we ALL strive for on a daily basis.
Still, your choice to carry or not.

There are a number of websites which can provide you with details on the rights of the arrested in Spain. However, a Spanish lawyer of my acquaintance (one meets the most interesting people on the Camino) informs me that prison food is not to be recommended and indeed compared it to the menu de peregrino at a particular stop along the Primitivo.

Giles Tremlett's book, Ghosts of Spain, has an interesting chapter on flamenco competitions in Spanish prisons, which are apparently televised, so if RJM has any flouncing while dancing skills, they may come in handy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is what they are hoping you do, to further their narrative of the 'ugly American.' I learned a long time ago that we are all representatives of our country when we travel. People who have never been to the US, have a preconceived notion formed by TV shows and the news media.

Also, when in any foreign country, we are guests in that country and should behave in a manner beyond reproach. Being a few drinks up in a cafe after a day of walking is not the time to engage in heated debate or argument with anyone about anything.

The better course of action IMHO, is to smile and agree, to a point, then absent yourself from the heat of the moment. I always try to avoid reinforcing someone's negative opinions of my country and my fellows by going out of my way to be agreeable.

I usually interject the old saw (from the US) about how I might find you disagreeable and perhaps incorrect, but that I will fight to the death to defend your right to be that way. The absolute defense of personal liberties does not exist worldwide. THAT usually always perplexes most foreigners because they simply cannot relate.

Over my decades of global travel, I have diffused several arguments and almost arguments using that phrase. I was taught it when I was younger. I wore the uniform to defend it, and I still abide by the duty I swore the oath to defend - three times.

I hope this helps.
I hold dual citizenship...:D

There are a number of websites which can provide you with details on the rights of the arrested in Spain. However, a Spanish lawyer of my acquaintance (one meets the most interesting people on the Camino) informs me that prison food is not to be recommended and indeed compared it to the menu de peregrino at a particular stop along the Primitivo.

Giles Tremlett's book, Ghosts of Spain, has an interesting chapter on flamenco competitions in Spanish prisons, which are apparently televised, so if RJM has any flouncing while dancing skills, they may come in handy.
Arrested? Who mentioned anything about physical violence?????
You certainly assume (you know what they say about assume ;) ) too much, but I am one heck of a dancer (at least I think I am) and also familiar with austere food from military field operations.
Yes, also a bit familiar with the penal system. Having worked for a period of time in corrections. Almost two years.
Certainly one can reply someone else's ugly comments without getting too ugly back. Just as I am doing now. ;)
The irony of it all is that of all the time I have walked the Camino(s) the only altercation I ever observed between pilgrims that appeared was going to become physical involved two European pilgrims and an Asian pilgrim. One of the European pilgrims and the Asian pilgrim were traveling together and they cut into the queue for a municipal albergue as it was opening. They cut ahead of that other European pilgrim and he really got angry and when he said something, the other European gave him the middle finger. That was all it took and it looked as though the fight was on and myself and another pilgrim stepped in and kept them apart. I am happy they did not fight because they were all younger than I and I am too old for that you know what.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"...into a not so peaceful one...." my apologies for not paying as much attention to the emoji as I should have.

Still, I do recommend Giles Tremlett's book for a description of the inmates' flamenco faceoff. I have not been able to find a youtube of this for forum members' delectation, but there is one of Cordovan dancers performing for prisoners at
which will have to do.

Greetings, its great to meet a brother officer. I did not carry my retirement badge, because I thought I might lose it. I believe in the law of attraction. Interestingly, the first day, I met a transit cop from FL. and met several more along the way, including my last day, (its always considered an honor with whom you walk in to Santiago with). Safe say out there,,and buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not exactly on topic but on my first Camino at Roncevalles I was walking with two women from Beirut and we ended up in a bunk area with 4 Israeli females who were on a sabbatical from their military service. After a split second of tension I diffused it by saying we were all together and my American accent saved the day.

You bring up another great point. Meeting people on the camino restores my faith in humanity. No matter our differences, everyone I met, an an interest in the other person, each wanted the other to succeed. All were good people. After a few moments, you had the feeling, you could trust this person or that they would not take advantage over you. In fact, several times, many people in many ways offered service and kindness. To me this is sacred and I try to practice and reinforce this on a daily basis.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back