• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon - a rest day

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Many in the past and, God willing; more to come
@kirkie, this is for you

It’s alright, this is a one-off; I’m not starting again.

I’ve posted this separately, rather than append my ‘Burgos to Leon’ thread, which has come to a natural close.

I’ve passed through Leon several times, but never taken the opportunity to spend an entire day here; and I have some recommendations.

Firstly as to accommodation. I do appreciate that this may not fit with everyone’s budget; but I chose to lodge at the Hospederia Monastica Pax. Basically a very good hotel integrated in the Benadictine monastery. There is an albergue also. My room, booked as a single, is a very well appointed twin of a high standard at about €52/night including a really good breakfast.

The secular attraction of Leon is the Barrio Húmedo; an extensive collection of bars and restaurants which deserve exploring. el Rincón del Gaucho (have the cangrejo) and Jamón Jamón (have what you’re given, the clues in the name) are personal favourites.

Pick your night and location with care. On Tuesday evening the Barrio Húmedo is the Barrio semi-seco as it’s their day off.

If you’re here at the weekend and you choose not to take my lodging advice, pack earplugs. The Humido is busy, and noisy, very noisy, through to 3 or 4 AM.

If you’re on Camino, pass through Leon and don’t visit the Cathedral, you might be accused of missing the point. The luminescence through the massive stained glass is outstanding and the free audio guide gives an excellent explanation as to how the subjects depicted are specifically aligned with the changing direction of the light from east through to west so as to show spiritual progress towards resurrection and redemption and the north and south walls have deliberately different colours accordingly. Fascinating. And beautiful.

The adjoined museum has a world-class collection of religious carving and clothing. Bear with me; it’s not my thing either, but I was enthralled. I could spot a San Sebastián or San Roque at 100 meters in half-light now.

The museo de San Isidoro has (April 22) got the builders in and they’re clearly on a day-rate as progress is glacial. Unless you’ve a burning desire to see your 20th alleged Holy Grail; not much else is accessible; I’d skip it.

Not entirely prompted by the pubs being shut, I thought I’d give my liver a rest and throw myself into the rare opportunity which the PAX offers.

If you nip up the back passage (steady on there) at the appointed time you can join the monastic community for any or all of the daily liturgy.

I’m not Roman Catholic; but so far as classic services go; if you can play it I can hum along. I’m familiar with my King James and (to the surprise of many) know the Book of Common Prayer Morning Prayer and Evensong by rote. I was well educated before I strayed. Quite a bit.

So I set the alarm for dark o’clock. (My iphone queried the decision repeatedly, artificial intelligence my arse.) [I’m really sorry, I’m trying to be serious, but it’s been a long day and I’ve been standing up every 5 minutes since 0600]

Anyway at 0620 I was stood outside the door of the private chapel for 0630 matins. At 0629 and a bit, the door opened and I was admitted to find that these aren’t monks, they’re lady monks and there are a fair few of them. They did a good job of hiding their surprise that anyone had turned up; and away we went.

They were delightful. Slightly unfamiliar with the somewhat unnecessary use of microphones they did tap them quite a lot (Anyone remember the ‘Wheeltappers’ and Shunters’’? No? Just me then)

I’m sufficiently fluent in Spanish and the Monjas have excellent diction; even without that, the cadence of the creed, Lord’s Prayer, benediction (stop showing off David) will be familiar to many.

Somewhat carried away I’ve kept it up and done the lot: Matins, Lauds, Tercia, Sexta, Nona, Vísperas y Bendición and had the pilgrims blessing. In the singular.

One of the nuns smiled at me at Tercia; at Nona I got a small round of applause and if they’d had a spare wimple in XXL by the time we got to the Pilgrims Blessing I’m fairly sure I’d have got the job.

What a great pleasure and extraordinary experience.

I did manage to slip out for a quick pie and a pint half-way through.

Anyway; clearly you don’t have to do the lot; your debit column might not be so extensive as mine for one thing; but if you make the effort, you’ll be welcomed.

Make a day of it, the Camino’s not just head-down ploughing on to Santiago.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first time I attended the evening service with the sisters there, there was a postulant amongst them. The next time, she had by then taken her vows. The third time, we had a wee chat and her English was much better than my feeble Spanish, and she was as delighted to meet a repeat customer as I was to see her there again.

The first time I attended the evening service with the sisters there, there was a postulant amongst them. The next time, she had by then taken her vows. The third time, we had a wee chat and her English was much better than my feeble Spanish, and she was as delighted to meet a repeat customer as I was to see her there again.
Similar today; a younger woman with a white (excuse my ignorance) headscarf on. Lovely. Seemed to be doing all the technology and heavy lifting. Not unlike the British army then; possibly in more ways than I can imagine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was having vicarious dreams reading that your objective was to do a pub crawl from Burgos and Leon. I think I have met every publican on all of those stages. If you are still in Leon there is a fantastic little barrio west of Plaza Mayor south of the Cathedral with some of the greatest restaurants in Leon.

Anyway; clearly you don’t have to do the lot; your debit column might not be so extensive as mine for one thing; but if you make the effort, you’ll be welcomed.

I studied in León for a semester when I was in college but didn’t get to experience as much as I would have liked due to having an extremely small budget. When room and board are covered, it is difficult to justify going out much. Although I did spend my fair share of time in the Barrio Humedo (making one drink last as long as possible). So I cannot wait to go back with more funds available to enjoy all the city has to offer!

I was there in 1995 and I can tell from people’s videos that the city has changed quite a bit with the influx of pilgrims. The numbers were way smaller back then!

I was having vicarious dreams reading that your objective was to do a pub crawl from Burgos and Leon. I think I have met every publican on all of those stages. If you are still in Leon there is a fantastic little barrio west of Plaza Mayor south of the Cathedral with some of the greatest restaurants in Leon.
We might have been separated at birth.

Happily I have a long lunch-time spare tomorrow and so, compass in hand, will trust your advice. Many thanks.

Now; I was planning one post and getting out of here. I don’t need to check out until 11’ish and for reasons which I’d rather not explore too deeply I’m going to be outside the chapel in about six hours time,

I’m in Madrid tomorrow night, and surely by now we know what that means, don’t we? I’ll be turning my attention from Mary to Jesus, more specifically C.Jesus.

Goodnight all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@kirkie, this is for you

I’ve posted this separately, rather than append my ‘Burgos to Leon’ thread, which has come to a natural close.

I’ve passed through Leon several times, but never taken the opportunity to spend an entire day here; and I have some recommendations.

Firstly as to accommodation. I do appreciate that this may not fit with everyone’s budget; but I chose to lodge at the Hospederia Monastica Pax. Basically a very good hotel integrated in the Benadictine monastery. There is an albergue also. My room, booked as a single, is a very well appointed twin of a high standard at about €52/night including a really good breakfast.

The secular attraction of Leon is the Barrio Húmedo; an extensive collection of bars and restaurants which deserve exploring. el Rincón del Gaucho (have the cangrejo) and Jamón Jamón (have what you’re given, the clues in the name) are personal favourites.

Pick your night and location with care. On Tuesday evening the Barrio Húmedo is the Barrio semi-seco as it’s their day off.

If you’re here at the weekend and you choose not to take my lodging advice, pack earplugs. The Humido is busy, and noisy, very noisy, through to 3 or 4 AM.

If you’re on Camino, pass through Leon and don’t visit the Cathedral, you might be accused of missing the point. The luminescence through the massive stained glass is outstanding and the free audio guide gives an excellent explanation as to how the subjects depicted are specifically aligned with the changing direction of the light from east through to west so as to show spiritual progress towards resurrection and redemption and the north and south walls have deliberately different colours accordingly. Fascinating. And beautiful.

The adjoined museum has a world-class collection of religious carving and clothing. Bear with me; it’s not my thing either, but I was enthralled. I could spot a San Sebastián or San Roque at 100 meters in half-light now.

The museo de San Isidoro has (April 22) got the builders in and they’re clearly on a day-rate as progress is glacial. Unless you’ve a burning desire to see your 20th alleged Holy Grail; not much else is accessible; I’d skip it.

Not entirely prompted by the pubs being shut, I thought I’d give my liver a rest and throw myself into the rare opportunity which the PAX offers.

If you nip up the back passage (steady on there) at the appointed time you can join the monastic community for any or all of the daily liturgy.

I’m not Roman Catholic; but so far as classic services go; if you can play it I can hum along. I’m familiar with my King James and (to the surprise of many) know the Book of Common Prayer Morning Prayer and Evensong by rote. I was well educated before I strayed. Quite a bit.

So I set the alarm for dark o’clock. (My iphone queried the decision repeatedly, artificial intelligence my arse.) [I’m really sorry, I’m trying to be serious, but it’s been a long day and I’ve been standing up every 5 minutes since 0600]

Anyway at 0620 I was stood outside the door of the private chapel for 0630 matins. At 0629 and a bit, the door opened and I was admitted to find that these aren’t monks, they’re lady monks and there are a fair few of them. They did a good job of hiding their surprise that anyone had turned up; and away we went.

They were delightful. Slightly unfamiliar with the somewhat unnecessary use of microphones they did tap them quite a lot (Anyone remember the ‘Wheeltappers’ and Shunters’’? No? Just me then)

I’m sufficiently fluent in Spanish and the Monjas have excellent diction; even without that, the cadence of the creed, Lord’s Prayer, benediction (stop showing off David) will be familiar to many.

Somewhat carried away I’ve kept it up and done the lot: Matins, Lauds, Tercia, Sexta, Nona, Vísperas y Bendición and had the pilgrims blessing. In the singular.

One of the nuns smiled at me at Tercia; at Nona I got a small round of applause and if they’d had a spare wimple in XXL by the time we got to the Pilgrims Blessing I’m fairly sure I’d have got the job.

I am going to stick my two pennies in here ..I was due into Leon on Thursday 14th where I booked an Alberque being that it is Holy week ..now I find I be there no doubt on the 13th so an extra day in Leon takes the biscuit ..mmm what about airbnb if no one thought about using that in the busy week of Easter..
Right bedtime now , be up in 6 hours byeeeee

I am going to stick my two pennies in here ..I was due into Leon on Thursday 14th where I booked an Alberque being that it is Holy week ..now I find I be there no doubt on the 13th so an extra day in Leon takes the biscuit ..mmm what about airbnb if no one thought about using that in the busy week of Easter..
Right bedtime now , be up in 6 hours byeeeee
Take what you can get if you can get anything. It’ll be busier than you could imagine; but worth it. If you enjoy it get to Malaga next Semana Santa. It’s the best there is.

Again, please refrain from commenting on mods and moderation, it's unnecessary, against the rules and rather silly.
May I say thank you. What a great, informative post for those pilgrims approaching Leon in the next week or so. As a poor catholic I love the Leon Cathedral, especially the story of how it was originally built and then those major repairs about 150 years ago. What I especially love about this cathedral is that it has more of a parish church feel about it (imho) than Burgos. Thanks again for a great post.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@kirkie, this is for you

You made me remember there is a Scotch pie in the freezer...no beer around though. Much prefer Rioja.
What can I say that will not be deleted by a moderator? At the clear risk of repetition, thank you for your 'pen portrait'. My play time for years was in a pottery evening class (in the days when local councils ran recreational education classes). It did not take me long to see the character of each person through their hand work. I was able to identify the person by the piece. Our words shine a light on who we are too...yours have offered something special, thank you for that.
Take care, don't slip on the damp floor. Mrs henrythedog, and the creature himself are waiting for you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Isn’t it strange how your brain sorts things out whilst you’re asleep. In my case it tends to erase useful things - like where I’ve put my car keys -and dig up trivia which it takes me a while to recognise.

Anyway, over breakfast and undoubtedly prompted by the last 24 hours I found myself humming ‘Sister Josephine’ by the late lamented Jake Thackray. If you have a moment, have a listen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was too poor to lodge in the private side... just joking. We did budget for a splurge but never needed to use it. The public albergue was divided into female and male sections. That is where we first met a delightful mother and daughter from Valencia. The mother wanted to give her daughter an experience. Their backpacks were just the lurid school backpacks, nothing tech about them. They typified the swinging along with my knapsack on my back image for me. Such a sign of hope for the future, with mothers like that.

@kirkie, this is for you

Very helpful, thank you. I gave it a pass last Sunday due to crowds and post-COVID zeal to make tracks. This gives me a bearing to stop-off next time.

henrythedog, Thank you so much for this post. I am leaving SJPP on April 15th. I have planned to stay a day in Leon. I am not staying at the monastery. Do you know if I can still go for services?
Also, good to know about the Cathedral audio guide. With what you have shared, I know I will look forward to Leon as I walk. Thank you again! Ann

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nice post. Except for the bit about The Holt Grail. In my humble opinion it is a must to see and defintely a good shot at bring the original. Just check its background.

Nice post. Except for the bit about The Holt Grail. In my humble opinion it is a must to see and defintely a good shot at bring the original. Just check its background.
Yup; got that. It’s actually got documentary evidence as to its provenance; which is quite remarkable - and it’s an astounding and beautiful artefact. It’s what you believe it to be; I suppose. And I don’t.

Others’ opinions will undoubtedly vary.

henrythedog, Thank you so much for this post. I am leaving SJPP on April 15th. I have planned to stay a day in Leon. I am not staying at the monastery. Do you know if I can still go for services?
Also, good to know about the Cathedral audio guide. With what you have shared, I know I will look forward to Leon as I walk. Thank you again! Ann
I regret I don’t know; but I’d be strongly tempted to turn up and ask. There’s plenty of room.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don’t forget about the Four Lions Brewery just around the street from the Cathedral.
After miles and miles of fizzy, yellow, albeit refreshing, golden lager, Four Lions brews up a whole menu of excellent craft beers. From rich, toasty brown ale, to IPAs and all in between.
They also have a full food menu to go with their barley creations.

Don’t forget about the Four Lions Brewery just around the street from the Cathedral.
After miles and miles of fizzy, yellow, albeit refreshing, golden lager, Four Lions brews up a whole menu of excellent craft beers. From rich, toasty brown ale, to IPAs and all in between.
They also have a full food menu to go with their barley creations.
so now you tell me? 🙄

(Posted from the check-in queue at Leon station)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Big fan of the Hospedaria Monastica Pax here! Finished my slow 2019 Meseta walk there, with a room looking out onto the Plaza. Worth every penny. (And worshipping with the Sisters was special.)

Frankly, if you can't find at least a day to explore the many wonders of Leon, then maybe you shouldn't be on the Camino at all.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.