• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon Cathedral

bernhugo

Recently I read a thread on how one reader enjoyed Leon Cathedral.
I attach some photos from the inside of that building.

Attachments

• 087web.jpg
    087web.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 82
  • 088web.jpg
    088web.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 82
  • 089web.jpg
    089web.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 090web.jpg
    090web.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 091web.jpg
    091web.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 093web.jpg
    093web.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 74
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It doesn't get any better than Leon Cathedral, folks! Worthy of an extended visit, no matter how tired you are! In fact between the Cathedral, and the Cathedral Museum, and the Museum at San Isidoro, I think that not taking an entire day off just to explore Leon would be a real mistake.

I was recently there (again) and, as the long-time Rector of a St. Luke's Church, was surprized and delighted to discover a depiction of St. Luke in one of the Cathedral ambulatory chapels -- writing his Gospel and wearing eyeglasses! How cool is that??!!!

1572124113099.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They also have a spectacular free Organ festival in November. They erect stadium type seating inside. During the concert, they turn off most of the interior lights to help get people to focus on the music. The light coming in from the street lights through the stained glass windows is really special. The wife and I just happened to be in Leon on vacation the night they did this and got very lucky.

Thank you for posting these photos. I was last in Leon in summer 2015 and stayed a few days because of this cathedral. It was so absolutely beautiful that one visit in a rush was just not going to do it. I spent hours in there just marvelling at the detail and the workmanship. As I looked through your photos I was viscerally brought back to those days and all the feelings. Thank you so much for sharing. ♥️

Thank you for this post, I will try hard to do a better job of exploring the Leon cathedral on my next Camino!!! The one that stuck out to me on my last (first) Camino was the one in Burgos, but that was just From the outside of it.
Blessings to you and yours, buen Camino, -kevin-

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for this post, I will try hard to do a better job of exploring the Leon cathedral on my next Camino!!! The one that stuck out to me on my last (first) Camino was the one in Burgos, but that was just From the outside of it.
Blessings to you and yours, buen Camino, -kevin-
Burgos is equally beautiful in a light, bright sort of way. It's domes looking straight up from the inside remind me of lovely snowflakes.
Screenshot_2019-11-02-18-07-39.jpgScreenshot_2019-11-02-17-53-39.jpg

Both Burgos and Leon have beautiful cathedrals. Burgos has an elaborate wedding cake of a Gothic cathedral. Leon has a simple jewel of a Gothic cathedral filled, as the photos above show, with stained glass. My preference is for the latter although I appreciate the former.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I love that they are both gorgeous, but completely different from each other...one bright, one dark. I love the description of a wedding cake for Burgos, and Leon's described as a jewel!
An amazing fact to me is that Leon's cathedral had serious structural problems a few hundred years ago and all of the stained glass was removed and disassembled, marked, packed in boxes for fifty years while reconstruction took place, then fully put back together to the perfection we see today...astounding!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.