• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Leon help

Delynda Drury

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be enjoying the Camino de Santiago (French Way) next May 2016.
hello
We are currently in Leon and looking for a store that sells the little fuel canisters. Anyone know where they would sell these in Leon?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8634.PNG
    IMG_8634.PNG
    930.5 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_8635.PNG
    IMG_8635.PNG
    918.5 KB · Views: 8
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may ask for "ferreterias" (hardware stores), or in Google Maps. There are many.
A kind warning: I am sure you will be careful, but remember that lighting fires of any kind in open spaces is illegal in many parts of Spain, even in picnic areas. And given the horrible current wildfires in Galicia, people and police will be very watchful. Ask beforehand about regulations, don't risk a serious problem.

Seriously not a good idea to have any naked flame out on the Galacian camino right now. There are many fires burning at the moment and lives have been lost. I know there is every chance that you would use your stove responsibly but as an Australian who lives with bush fires every year, please don’t take any chances. Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a Decathlon store outside Leon. They will carry the canisters.

But the posters above are correct. I STRONGLY advise AGAINST using a stove on the Camino from where you are, to Santiago.

My recommendation is to check "Services at Santiago by Ivar" above on the title bar of the forum web site. Mail your stove, sans gas canister, and anything else you do not need ahead to Ivar. It is cheap and the Correos is efficient. Ivar will notify you when he receives your parcel.

If you have been out of touch with news, dozens, like over 100, arson-set wildfires are raging from central Portugal up, into Galicia. With the investigation ongoing into the spate of wildfires, to your west in a few days, the local law enforcement folks may take a very dim view of any pilgrim carrying a gas stove or canisters.

Remember, you are in a foreign country where you likely do not speak the language well. Emotions are running high. Hundreds of people are losing their homes, jobs, and entire villages are being destroyed. DO NOT risk getting inadvertently caught up in the hysteria.

I think discretion the better part of valor here. Get rid of your stove and anything related to it that might cause questions. DO NOT carry fire starting materials. You are innocent, but why tempt fate?

I really hope this helps you and others headed west, towards Galicia. Get rid of your stoves BEFORE you get into the fire affected area, or risk threatened area...

Stay safe out there...and enjoy the rest of your Camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a Decathlon store outside Leon. They will carry the canisters.

But the posters above are correct. I STRONGLY advise AGAINST using a stove on the Camino from where you are, to Santiago.

My recommendation is to check "Services at Santiago by Ivar" above on the title bar of the forum web site. Mail your stove, sans gas canister, and anything else you do not need ahead to Ivar. It is cheap and the Correos is efficient. Ivar will notify you when he receives your parcel.

If you have been out of touch with news, dozens, like over 100, arson-set wildfires are raging from central Portugal up, into Galicia. With the investigation ongoing into the spate of wildfires, to your west in a few days, the local law enforcement folks may take a very dim view of any pilgrim carrying a gas stove or canisters.

Remember, you are in a foreign country where you likely do not speak the language well. Emotions are running high. Hundreds of people are losing their homes, jobs, and entire villages are being destroyed. DO NOT risk getting inadvertently caught up in the hysteria.

I think discretion the better part of valor here. Get rid of your stove and anything related to it that might cause questions. DO NOT Carry fire starting materials. You are innocent, but why tempt fate?

I really hope this helps you and others headed west, towards Galicia. Get rid of your stoves BEFORE you get into the fire affected area, or risk threatened area...

Stay safe out there...and enjoy the rest of your Camino.
I didn't realize there was a Decathlon in Leon.
Thank you for your help. The only time I use this is to heat up a quick cup of soup for myself and it's only done on the cement of generally the town square. I'd never take the chance of doing this near anything that could be lit.

Seriously not a good idea to have any naked flame out on the Galacian camino right now. There are many fires burning at the moment and lives have been lost. I know there is every chance that you would use your stove responsibly but as an Australian who lives with bush fires every year, please don’t take any chances. Buen camino.

Thank you for your help. The only time I use this is to heat up a quick cup of soup for myself and it's only done on the cement of generally the town square. I'd never take the chance of doing this near anything that could be lit.

Did you try Decathlon sporting goods stores?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did see that store earlier while walking around. I'll look later.

You may ask for "ferreterias" (hardware stores), or in Google Maps. There are many.
A kind warning: I am sure you will be careful, but remember that lighting fires of any kind in open spaces is illegal in many parts of Spain, even in picnic areas. And given the horrible current wildfires in Galicia, people and police will be very watchful. Ask beforehand about regulations, don't risk a serious problem.
ier while walking around.

Delynda:

I believe the Decathlon is outside downtown. You need to take a bus or taxi to get there. There are several outdoors stores in town however. As suggested a ferreteria (hardware store) may carry them. However, look at this earlier post about sports shops in Leon.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/outdoor-stores-in-leon.27776/

I hope this helps. I know Decathlon was planning to open in Leon, outside of town. But, I cannot find it online.

I hope the above link helps you you find what you need.

[...] I use this is to heat up a quick cup of soup for myself and it's only done on the cement of generally the town square. I'd never take the chance of doing this near anything that could be lit.
It's the benefit of the doubt and an honest explanation which will maybe avoid unpleasant treatment by people who have lost their life line by the current fires. :mad:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have noticed Koreans using some sort of small camping stoves indoors, in a kitchen lounge area, with the windows open, asking first and sharing food!

I think bicyclists may have more info on regulations, and how to do this type of cooking safely, not sure.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back