• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Leon in lockdown

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
due to high contagion figures, the city of Leon is now under "perimetral lockout". I am not sure about how that will impact pilgrims, you are not supposed to go in or leave the city unless for work reasons or for minding somebody who needs medical care.

THIS SAID; there is a workaround if you are in Camino Francés, you can take the route from Mansilla to Villar de Mazarife, I believe it is reasonably signposted, else you can take this track

It is very sad to miss a jewel like the city of Leon, but in current circumstances, being on the camino might not be the best choice!

From there on you do not cross any city with 100,000+ inhabitants, so the lockouts are less likely.

Dear group admins, please feel free to post this to the Salvador forum, any pilgrim thinking about Salvador should consider starting in La Robla (you can get there by train)

EDITED TO ADD: lockdown starts tomorrow October 6th, will be applied for at least 2 weeks.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Surprising, to me, that they are still allowing bars and restaurants to operate at 50% capacity.
Indeed... Spain's economy depends on may small businesses and bars/food are a capital part of it, people protest mightily for any limitation to what they consider to be their personal unviolable liberties. That explains a lot about why we have such dramatic figures! Any city/town over 100,000 inhabitants is in risk of lockdown from now on. Any city. Salamanca is very close too.

THIS SAID; there is a workaround if you are in Camino Francés, you can take the route from Mansilla to Villar de Mazarife, I believe it is reasonably signposted, else you can take this track

Thanks @amancio for sharing this link. I know that León is a special Camino place, but having been there quite a few times I've been looking for a walking route that that avoids it next time. There are a few options, but this definitely looks like the nicest one.

Thanks @amancio for sharing this link. I know that León is a special Camino place, but having been there quite a few times I've been looking for a walking route that that avoids it next time. There are a few options, but this definitely looks like the nicest one.
I must confess that much as a I love León, I would bypass it next time, coming in and going out of León is just awful and unpleasant. Incidentally, leaving León and going up river Bernesga for El Salvador is a lovely route, but the Francés is just a mess of motorways, zebra crossess, and complications! Buen camino!
Also, because I live in Spain and I have been to Leon or its province nearly every year for the last 15 years!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
due to high contagion figures, the city of Leon is now under "perimetral lockout". I am not sure about how that will impact pilgrims, you are not supposed to go in or leave the city unless for work reasons or for minding somebody who needs medical care.

It is very sad to miss a jewel like the city of Leon, but in current circumstances, being on the camino might not be the best choice!

From there on you do not cross any city with 100,000+ inhabitants, so the lockouts are less likely.

Dear group admins, please feel free to post this to the Salvador forum, any pilgrim thinking about Salvador should consider starting in La Robla (you can get there by train)

EDITED TO ADD: lockdown starts tomorrow October 6th, will be applied for at least 2 weeks.

Thanks, I dislike the industrial area leaving Leon. Will save for future reference.

I must confess that much as a I love León, I would bypass it next time, coming in and going out of León is just awful and unpleasant. Incidentally, leaving León and going up river Bernesga for El Salvador is a lovely route, but the Francés is just a mess of motorways, zebra crossess, and complications! Buen camino!
Also, because I live in Spain and I have been to Leon or its province nearly every year for the last 15 years!
According to google maps, there are a couple of private accommodation options en route: Hotel Rural Astura, Villacelama (4kms from M de la M) and Casa Miguel y Sally, which is 2.7kms beyond that.

I should know better than to look at the forum when I really should be working ....

Last edited:
My heart is with everyone in the beautiful city of Leon...
The last time I walked the Frances, the arrival diverted off to the right and through a forest rather than over and then along the freeway into Leon. On a wet day I imagine it would be mighty slippery on the descent, but that day it was lovely. I know the road route well but I’d definitely go “off piste” next time for such a lovely arrival with its glimpses of the cathedral through the trees.
[sigh]
I miss my Lady Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Indeed... Spain's economy depends on may small businesses and bars/food are a capital part of it, people protest mightily for any limitation to what they consider to be their personal unviolable liberties. That explains a lot about why we have such dramatic figures! Any city/town over 100,000 inhabitants is in risk of lockdown from now on. Any city. Salamanca is very close too.
In reality every town/ city in Spain is in risk of lockdown.
In the case of those with more than 100.000, if they have more than 500/100.000 in 15 days it is compulsory the lockdown no matter what the regional government thinks.
That's the case of. Leon.
But cities/towns with less than 100.000 people can also have lockdown with more or less than 500 if the regional government decides. That's the case of Palencia (78.000 ).

Even even without covid-19, I have thought to try something like this, so it's good to know that there is a Wikiloc track. Gracias, @amancio!

It's worth remembering what happened in the spring when conditions changed very quickly — anyone anywhere on the Camino right now needs to be vigilant and particularly well informed of current conditions, so as not to get stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The last time I walked the Frances, the arrival diverted off to the right and through a forest rather than over and then along the freeway into Leon. On a wet day I imagine it would be mighty slippery on the descent, but that day it was lovely. I know the road route well but I’d definitely go “off piste” next time for such a lovely arrival with its glimpses of the cathedral through the trees.
[sigh]
I miss my Lady Camino.
that diversion sounds cool, crossing the industrial parts of Leon is not nice, cool!

As luck would have it I arrived in Leon today. Hotels and transfers are booked through to Santiago from day after tomorrow. Not clear what the restrictions are exactly. Do i have to sleep on the streets for two weeks? Any local support organisation you know of would be helpful?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As luck would have it I arrived in Leon today. Hotels and transfers are booked through to Santiago from day after tomorrow. Not clear what the restrictions are exactly. Do i have to sleep on the streets for two weeks? Any local support organisation you know of would be helpful?

My albergue is in Villares de Orbigo 35 km after Leon. It is only the city that is restricted, not the areas around it. It's my understanding from a hostal owner in Leon that pilgrims are allowed TO CROSS the city and so can sleep before and after. I have two English pilgrims coming in today.

As of today there are no other areas along the Camino Frances that are at risk.

Stay safe and ultreia!

Thank you. I also heard from some Spanish Pilgrims that they are allowing passage out of Leon at present. Fingers crossed

[sigh]
I miss my Lady Camino.
Yes, I walked into Leon on that route on a day after several days of rain. It would have been a lovely walk on a nice day with great views of Leon but I was busy contemplating my feet that were covered to the ankles with reddish clay and negotiating the next place to step to avoid ending up on my butt in the slippery stuff!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am greatly saddened to see that Spain is suffering so much. Spain and so many other countries and so many people. What an awful thing this is. What an awful, awful virus. When ever will it end?
Jim , I would give my left ... to be just outside Leon at this present time.
The Baztan & Invierno were scheduled & booked this June / July , however
i find the Spanish situation interesting and enlightening.
When will it end? Vaccine or Learn to live with it?
As you know we have nearly reached nearly 900 C19 deaths in Australia since the virus arrived , however we have had in the same time 92,000 deaths Au wide.
It is just something we lave to live with and try to remember the terrible influenza related deaths earlier this decade and how we overcame that situation.
Your photo indicates a guy a few years under our approaching 73 yrs , so May I suggest the following ;
Book every year in the years ahead 2 months ( June & July) to allow for the Camino.
This virus has maybe taught us how a simple life can be so rewarding.
Howeaver I have been told if we venture to Spain in 2021 we must allow 4 weeks in isolation on return.
Keep safe and I hope a few of these shackles are loosened Monday week.

A handful of years your junior Thornley. If all else fails I have a Vic Camino of my own in mind, assuming the city to country ban is lifted. We are home to one of the most spectacular shorelines, as you would know. My last and most recent one day walk was 62 km. For fear of self incrimination I won’t say when that was. Suffice to say both body and spirit are ready and willing. All that’s lacking is the blessing of the State. All I can say, taking a philosophical stance, is that we are born to know the good and the bad, roughly in equal measure it seems to me. A fact of life. Yes, let’s hope for better news next Sunday.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Wow, that's tough. Beautiful city. I actually crashed and lost my drone on my camino last year. Luckily, I found an awesome little drone shop in Leon that helped me replace my drone. Stay safe peregrinos.

A handful of years your junior Thornley. If all else fails I have a Vic Camino of my own in mind, assuming the city to country ban is lifted. We are home to one of the most spectacular shorelines, as you would know. My last and most recent one day walk was 62 km. For fear of self incrimination I won’t say when that was. Suffice to say both body and spirit are ready and willing. All that’s lacking is the blessing of the State. All I can say, taking a philosophical stance, is that we are born to know the good and the bad, roughly in equal measure it seems to me. A fact of life. Yes, let’s hope for better news next Sunday.
We bolted to our country cottage ( Mt M ) 8 weeks ago ,
Saved the 48 yr marriage🤫🤭😇
MtM to Gisborne is flat to Woodend - Hanging Rock = hills.
The 20km will do us fine Jim , that’s our distance under pressure , less when o/ seas . In saying that we did take a 2 days to walk to our then home in Blairgowrie along the bay . Long flat days saved by the breeze.
Stay safe,

I walked into Leon and saw a Dominos Pizza and like any American I bought one and shared it with some students. We talked and laughed and it was great. I had to get my head back onto the Camino. I stayed in some Dorms and ran into students from Austin, Texas. I'm from San Antonio, Texas so it was a homecoming. A pelegrino from Texas.

€83,-
In reality every town/ city in Spain is in risk of lockdown.
In the case of those with more than 100.000, if they have more than 500/100.000 in 15 days it is compulsory the lockdown no matter what the regional government thinks.
That's the case of. Leon.
But cities/towns with less than 100.000 people can also have lockdown with more or less than 500 if the regional government decides. That's the case of Palencia (78.000 ).
Has the regional , city Govt of Madrid defied the rulings on the lockdowns?
Mentioned Leon to my daughter and she said Madrid refused.

Has the regional , city Govt of Madrid defied the rulings on the lockdowns?

The word "defied" is probably too strong -- they have contested the lockdown, and de facto had it suspended in a ruling by the regional Court. After which the National Government imposed a regional state of alarm.

Then how you interpret this is mainly a question of how you interpret the state of things both medically and politically.

Did the city of Madrid "defy" lockdown ? Or did Spain "defy" the ruling by the independent regional Court that fundamental liberties are being repressed ?

More prudently, one would say that political differences exist over these questions.

I doubt this is the end of the story anyway ...

---

As to the actual topic, I walked in a DIY manner from Mansilla de las Mulas to Villar de Mazarife on my 1994 from Paris, when it had emerged that there was no Albergue in Léon that year, and the first one after Mansilla was in Villar.

It's a beautiful walk. :cool:

Last edited:
Jim , I would give my left ... to be just outside Leon at this present time.
The Baztan & Invierno were scheduled & booked this June / July , however
i find the Spanish situation interesting and enlightening.
When will it end? Vaccine or Learn to live with it?
As you know we have nearly reached nearly 900 C19 deaths in Australia since the virus arrived , however we have had in the same time 92,000 deaths Au wide.
It is just something we lave to live with and try to remember the terrible influenza related deaths earlier this decade and how we overcame that situation.
Your photo indicates a guy a few years under our approaching 73 yrs , so May I suggest the following ;
Book every year in the years ahead 2 months ( June & July) to allow for the Camino.
This virus has maybe taught us how a simple life can be so rewarding.
Howeaver I have been told if we venture to Spain in 2021 we must allow 4 weeks in isolation on return.
Keep safe and I hope a few of these shackles are loosened Monday week.
if 4 week isolation is required nobody will be bothered there are plenty of other places in the world

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
if 4 week isolation is required nobody will be bothered there are plenty of other places in the world
The isolation being used in NT is outdoors.
June & July having a walk and eating fresh food .
Maybe commence again in Le Puy , miss a bit In the middle , when ending @ St JPdP get train to Bayonne for Baztan.
Take 9 days to Pamplona , no crowds and private rooms from the day we commenced 5 weeks prior.
Maybe Pamplona to Logrono for food only then home via Darwin.
I believe by that time the rules on isolation will be done properly and with dire consequences If violated .
Then a 4 week holiday ( isolation) to coincide with the Darwin Cup on the 1/8 ....same day every year.
I believe AirB&B will be allowed by mid 2021 for isolation for couples with strict rules on where you can go......thus four books and a pool.
Late July & August in the territory is beautiful weather.
Thats our rough plans with the kids and grandkids blessings.
We will have no regrets .

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back