• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon or Astorga ?

FrenchFancy1234

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino
hi there,

I arrive in Madrid very early on 1st Sept, and am trying to work out if it is best to travel to Leon or Astorga directly to start my Camino.

I will start Camino from Astorga and wondered if it is best to travel directly there and get organised for my start the next morning. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay the night of the 1st as I am travelling alone and would like to link up with others who might be doing the route too. - Just for a bit of reassurance as I start out.

Thanks a million.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
FrenchFancy1234,

Welcome to the Forum!

In Astorga I usually stay in the pilgrim albergue Siervas de Maria which is on the CF on the eastern side of the city at the plaza San Francisco. It is a friendly, relaxed place. Here is their web for more info.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hotel Gaudi is affordable. Some commerce closes about noon Saturday and does not reopen until Monday. You can get food and chocolate, but don't expect to get a SIM card or visit inside a bank! Buen camino.

It depends on your time availability and expectatives. You can do easily León to Compostela in two weeks.
The two stages after León are in the "Páramo" -an agricultural flat land without particularly interesting landscapes or historical buildings. If you choose that, many guides recommend the Villar de Mazarife variant (first stage) and the Villares de Órbigo one (second stage) that avoid walking along a boring and unforgiving highway
I did the mistake of going along the highway the second day, and really hated it:(. But I rather liked the first stage;).
The Albergue Casa de Jesús in Villar de Mazarife is folksy ;) -some like it a lot, some don't; there are other more formal and modern options in the same village.
I did these two stages because I had started before, and I had made a point of walking all the way -the good, the "not so good" and the ugly parts. But you can choose your departing point.
Astorga obviously is a touristic city, with a lot of things to see. And after that, there is a local road with many picturesque villages. I stayed in the Siervas de María albergue, too, and it was ok. The "menú peregrino" in the "Hotel Astur Plaza", at main square, was good.
It is up to you.

Last edited:
Hi FrenchFancy1234! Welcome to the forum!

I guess the key question is whether you want to visit León (what wouldn't be a bad idea, IMHO) or not. If you aren't interested in visiting León, you can go straight to Astorga. If you are interested in visiting León, look for a luggage storage place to leave your baggage and go to Astorga later on the day once you took a look at the main sights in León.

For direct buses from Madrid (both airport and downtown) to Astorga: www.alsa.es/en
For trains from Madrid to Astorga (both direct and non-direct): www.renfe.com

If you decide to visit León. Alsa makes the bus route from Madrid to León as well as the bus route from León to Astorga. And RENFE makes the train route from Madrid to León as well as the one from León to Astorga.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Edited as the post I was answering to has been also edited ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Last edited:
Stayed at the Parador de León, great hotel in the old medieval hospital. Great rooms and even better breakfast. They do some great deals but you have to time it right. Easy walk from Leon bus station.

Sorry, I did not read your post with the due attention. I see you are starting in Astorga.
You can go directly from Madrid terminal, or even the Barajas airport, to Astorga, by ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/
But Leon is really a wonderful city, well worth a day. Having just a glimpse from the window of the bus would be a pity. And from there, it is less than an hour to Astorga, by bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.