• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon parador and food

Bella2017

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2017 Oct 2018 Camino ingles june 2019 cancelled Camino Portuguese Oct 2019
Thinking of staying here for some luxury. Has anyone had the pilgrim dinner? Is it good? How was breakfast?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Breakfast is FANTASTIC! Huge buffet and great juice and coffee too. If you're so inclined, the in-house massages are very, very relaxing too, albeit a little pricey but we figured we were there to have a little pampering so what the heck! Also nice to start your morning further along rather than back towards the Municipal Albergue or around the Cathedral and both were an easy walk in the afternoon once we checked in. Enjoy!!

I have stayed here, in the "regular rooms", which are all in an annex overlooking the river. Pretty standard hotel rooms (think Marriott maybe), nice bathrooms, little balcony. The commons areas are the really spectacular and historical part IMO.

The parador will be closing in October for some major renovations, see this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...dor-san-marcos-closing-for-renovations.45326/

Other places for a bit of luxury (and I would say frequently with a better price/quality ratio) include Hotel Real Colegiata San Isidoro and the NH in the Plaza Mayor (as an aside, the Plaza Mayor in Leon is not a big gathering place, or at least it wasn't before this hotel opened).

Nothing wrong with a bit of luxury IMO! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola @Bella2017; Go For It; get in NOW. It will close on 1 October 2017 for a 2.5 year total refit. The " new rooms" - non-heritage listed ones will be totally demolished. I agree about the breakfast - one of the best in Spain, only problem they don't start serving before 7.30 am. But this is ok if are only thinking about a shorter day out of Leon. Cheers

The Leon Parador is a bit far away from the town centre and Cathedral. This could be a problem if you want to go out for dinner in the evening, as opposed to waiting for dinner at 9.00 pm in house. The next day, I recommend taking the bus to skip the suburbs, as suggested by Brierley.

Oh nothing better than a really good Spanish buffet breakfast. Well worth a late start. Have never thought of staying at a Parador. Bit posh for me but may reconsider as highly motivated by a good breakfast. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I stayed at the Leon Parador on two separate caminos. Once with friends, in scenes reminiscent of the movie The Way.
I agree that the breakfast is excellent. The pilgrim rooms are also very fine.
On my second stay I had just learnt of my mother's death back home in Australia.
They kindly minded my walking sticks etc and booked my return train trips to Madrid. I booked a night's accommodation there 10 days later for my return after the funeral.
Due to flight times, the bus I caught back to Leon delivered me at 5am.
I had planned to sit on a bench outside and snooze on my pack till Leon woke up but when I got off the bus it was pouring with rain.
I walked to the Parador, knocked tentatively on the huge firmly shut front doors and waited patiently....... a large face appeared through a very small grate.
After explaining my situation and asking in my poor Spanish if I may sit in the front portico till dawn, they most generously gave me my room at 5:30am which allowed me to sleep away some of my serious jet lag.
When I came to pay the bill I was astounded to find that they only charged me for one night despite two full breakfasts and 1 1/2 nights sleep.
As you may imagine, I love the Leon Parador!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the first time I hear they have pilgrim rooms. What are they like and what do they charge?

From the Paradores website:

Here at Paradores, we want to help pilgrims on their way, with a special rate:

• 15% off the Parador Rate for bed and breakfast, offering the opportunity to relax in a Parador.
  • And you can restore your energy with a 10% discount in our restaurant and cafeteria.
  • Enjoy our Pilgrims' Menu for €15 at our Enxebre restaurants (€18 in other restaurants)
All with the Parador guarantee and quality of service

What a fiasco. I was planning to stop at El Parador de Leon in mid October. About the closure. I have read conflicting information, some talk about total closure, others talk about partial closure. Based on the attached article [from June 2017] they are cancelling reservations after 1 October, however, their website allows me to reserve a room on about October 18th [I just picked a date after the 1st]. We shall see.

http://www.elnortedecastilla.es/leon/parador-leon-cerrara-20170623122813-nt.html

To all caminantes, good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

From the Paradores website:

Here at Paradores, we want to help pilgrims on their way, with a special rate:

• 15% off the Parador Rate for bed and breakfast, offering the opportunity to relax in a Parador.
  • And you can restore your energy with a 10% discount in our restaurant and cafeteria.
  • Enjoy our Pilgrims' Menu for €15 at our Enxebre restaurants (€18 in other restaurants)
All with the Parador guarantee and quality of service
That's just a discount on their regular offering, not pilgrim rooms.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was curious about the construction but couldn't find much specific information on the parador website. What I do see, though is that on the parador calendar, rooms are still available for as low as 80 € (room only, higher with breakfast) through December 15, at which point the calendar is totally closed. That would be a bargain, though not as great a bargain as I got last February in the Parador Santo Estevo along the Sil River, but that was just a crazy deal. Wonder if guests will have to don a hard hat!

True, but in my experience, & that of several others, they tend to place pilgrims at the discount rate on lower floors than full paying guests. It may well be thy others have had vastly different experiences :)
Are we talking pilgrim only rooms, or just standatd rooms at a discount? In other words, do they offer anything like the San Martin Pinario with its pilgrim rooms?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed at the Leon Parador on two separate caminos. Once with friends, in scenes reminiscent of the movie The Way.
I agree that the breakfast is excellent. The pilgrim rooms are also very fine.
On my second stay I had just learnt of my mother's death back home in Australia.
They kindly minded my walking sticks etc and booked my return train trips to Madrid. I booked a night's accommodation there 10 days later for my return after the funeral.
Due to flight times, the bus I caught back to Leon delivered me at 5am.
I had planned to sit on a bench outside and snooze on my pack till Leon woke up but when I got off the bus it was pouring with rain.
I walked to the Parador, knocked tentatively on the huge firmly shut front doors and waited patiently....... a large face appeared through a very small grate.
After explaining my situation and asking in my poor Spanish if I may sit in the front portico till dawn, they most generously gave me my room at 5:30am which allowed me to sleep away some of my serious jet lag.
When I came to pay the bill I was astounded to find that they only charged me for one night despite two full breakfasts and 1 1/2 nights sleep.
As you may imagine, I love the Leon Parador!!
Hearing of this kind of professional graciousness from a person or business only reinforces my beliefs in mankind and that there is actually a "pulse" left in some in this world.
Doing this kind of business, leaving others to hear about positives about a location/business is "good business" and will garner good returns in the future for them.
Thanks for posting about this location..........

Are we talking pilgrim only rooms, or just standatd rooms at a discount? In other words, do they offer anything like the San Martin Pinario with its pilgrim rooms?

I have only stayed there as a pilgrim so can't really say. But the full marble bathroom and general amenities suggested to me that non pilgrims could be very happy in that same room .... to confirm precisely you would probably have to ask the management .....

Thinking of staying here for some luxury. Has anyone had the pilgrim dinner? Is it good? How was breakfast?

Didn't have dinner, but breakfast was what you would expect for the price. The website soemtimes has halfboard deals... Not really intown, but the building itself makes up for that, plus you get a headstart in the morning!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A note for pilgrims who for one rea$on or another are not particularly inclined to shell out a good amount of money here: there are guided visits of the building. Ask in the reception.
It was interesting.

I believe that these rooms are just standard rooms with a discount - nothing set aside specifically for pilgrims. We stayed at this Parador - booked as regular guests, and got the same type of room people are describing. I think we paid about 70 euro or so to stay.

As others have said, the breakfast was great. We didn't have dinner there - we ate out in town - there are so many good places to eat in Leon. From the Parador, if you walk south along the river, maybe 3 or 4 blocks, there is a commercial area with various restaurants and bars. It's a newer area, outside the old town center.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back