• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon religious procession, September 24th 2022

moray

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi

We were staying in Leon on 24th September 2022 and witnessed an amazing procession of religious statues, carried by hooded men, women and children. There were also numerous bands in the procession up to the cathedral.

I’ve found information about Semanosanta but that’s Easter, no mention of a very similar event in September.

Does anyone know what the September event celebrates?

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you.
It was indeed a “procession extraordinarily”!
My wife and I were in Leon on this date and we watched this amazing procession; it was magnificent! I couldn’t find much on it’s significance so I was happy to see your question here.
I ran the Spanish text (found in the link provided by the others who commented above) through the Bing Translator and the resulting translation reads in English as follows:
“The Junta Mayor of Holy Week, presented the extraordinary procession that will take place on Saturday, September 24 on the occasion of the 33rd National Meeting of Brotherhoods to be held the last weekend of September in León. A route of approximately 1.9 kilometers "without crossings or confluence of streets in any section" that "will allow you to fully admire the images that will procession through emblematic streets" The procession is expected to last two hours and 45 minutes.

A "great procession" 'Passio Legionensis' composed of a total of 22 steps and all the musical formations of the Leonese Holy Week will be the central act of the 33rd National Meeting of Brotherhoods, which will be held in León from September 22 to 25. The procession will take place on Saturday, September 24, starting at 6:30 p.m., departing from the Palace of Exhibitions and Congresses and ending in the Plaza de Regla, in front of the Cathedral of León. The director of the Meeting, José Antonio Fresno, explained that the procession, "of a catechetical and penitential nature", aims to "offer a joint vision of Holy Week in León", for which in its organization it was intended to have the participation of all the brotherhoods and brotherhoods of the city with at least one step, while auqellas that carried one carried on wheels could incorporate a second.

The Brotherhood of Expiration and Silence decided to decline its participation, while the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows and Solitude is pending confirmation. Juan Carlos Morán, coordinator of the procession, defined it as "historic and unique", and detailed the 22 steps planned so far, which are the House of Betania of the Brotherhood of Santa Marta and the Holy Supper; the Christ of the Great Power of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo del Gran Poder; the Holy Supper of the Brotherhood of Santa Marta and the Holy Supper; The Arrest, Our Father Jesus Nazarene and the Exaltation of the Cross of the Brotherhood of the Sweet Name of Jesus Nazareno.
Also, Our Father Jesus to the hope of the captive of the Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and Our Lady of Mercy, protection of the Leonese; Our Father Jesus of the mercy of the Confraternity of Our Lord Jesus of the Redemption; Jesus of the Via Crucis of the Agony of Our Lord Confraternity; The Holy Christ of Forgiveness of the Brotherhood of the Holy Christ of Forgiveness; VII Word 'Holy Christ of Agony' of the Confraternity of the Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross; Holy Mary of the Sweet Name and St. John the Evangelist of the Brotherhood Mary of the Sweet Name.
In addition, the Holy Christ of the Bliss of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo de la Bienaventuranza; The Descent and the Lignum Crucis of the Royal Brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament of Minerva and Santa Veracruz; Our Lady of Sorrows, Holy Sepulchre and Our Lady of Solitude of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows and Solitude; the Christ nailed in his way to the father of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo del Desenclavo; the New Man of the Holy Sepulchre Confraternity-Hope of Life; and The Three Marys The Resurrection of the Royal Brotherhood of Jesus Divine Worker. All the steps, which will happen sequentially through the streets of León to "show the best of their Holy Week" will recreate both the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the history of Leonese Holy Week, "reflecting an important part of what it represents".

The route proposed for the procession will depart from the Palace of Exhibitions and Congresses of León, where the steps will be exposed throughout the day so that the public can come to contemplate them. After leaving, you will cross Doctor Fleming Avenue and Palencia Avenue to cross the Bernesga River by the Lions Bridge and continue through Plaza de Guzmán, Ordoño II Avenue, Santo Domingo Square and Ancha Street until you reach Plaza de Regla. In León you can visit the Museum of Holy Week, where many of the detailed steps are exposed.”

My wife and I were in Leon on this date and we watched this amazing procession; it was magnificent! I couldn’t find much on it’s significance so I was happy to see your question here.
I ran the Spanish text (found in the link provided by the others who commented above) through the Bing Translator and the resulting translation reads in English as follows:
“The Junta Mayor of Holy Week, presented the extraordinary procession that will take place on Saturday, September 24 on the occasion of the 33rd National Meeting of Brotherhoods to be held the last weekend of September in León. A route of approximately 1.9 kilometers "without crossings or confluence of streets in any section" that "will allow you to fully admire the images that will procession through emblematic streets" The procession is expected to last two hours and 45 minutes.

A "great procession" 'Passio Legionensis' composed of a total of 22 steps and all the musical formations of the Leonese Holy Week will be the central act of the 33rd National Meeting of Brotherhoods, which will be held in León from September 22 to 25. The procession will take place on Saturday, September 24, starting at 6:30 p.m., departing from the Palace of Exhibitions and Congresses and ending in the Plaza de Regla, in front of the Cathedral of León. The director of the Meeting, José Antonio Fresno, explained that the procession, "of a catechetical and penitential nature", aims to "offer a joint vision of Holy Week in León", for which in its organization it was intended to have the participation of all the brotherhoods and brotherhoods of the city with at least one step, while auqellas that carried one carried on wheels could incorporate a second.

The Brotherhood of Expiration and Silence decided to decline its participation, while the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows and Solitude is pending confirmation. Juan Carlos Morán, coordinator of the procession, defined it as "historic and unique", and detailed the 22 steps planned so far, which are the House of Betania of the Brotherhood of Santa Marta and the Holy Supper; the Christ of the Great Power of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo del Gran Poder; the Holy Supper of the Brotherhood of Santa Marta and the Holy Supper; The Arrest, Our Father Jesus Nazarene and the Exaltation of the Cross of the Brotherhood of the Sweet Name of Jesus Nazareno.
Also, Our Father Jesus to the hope of the captive of the Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and Our Lady of Mercy, protection of the Leonese; Our Father Jesus of the mercy of the Confraternity of Our Lord Jesus of the Redemption; Jesus of the Via Crucis of the Agony of Our Lord Confraternity; The Holy Christ of Forgiveness of the Brotherhood of the Holy Christ of Forgiveness; VII Word 'Holy Christ of Agony' of the Confraternity of the Seven Words of Jesus on the Cross; Holy Mary of the Sweet Name and St. John the Evangelist of the Brotherhood Mary of the Sweet Name.
In addition, the Holy Christ of the Bliss of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo de la Bienaventuranza; The Descent and the Lignum Crucis of the Royal Brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament of Minerva and Santa Veracruz; Our Lady of Sorrows, Holy Sepulchre and Our Lady of Solitude of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Sorrows and Solitude; the Christ nailed in his way to the father of the Brotherhood Santo Cristo del Desenclavo; the New Man of the Holy Sepulchre Confraternity-Hope of Life; and The Three Marys The Resurrection of the Royal Brotherhood of Jesus Divine Worker. All the steps, which will happen sequentially through the streets of León to "show the best of their Holy Week" will recreate both the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the history of Leonese Holy Week, "reflecting an important part of what it represents".

The route proposed for the procession will depart from the Palace of Exhibitions and Congresses of León, where the steps will be exposed throughout the day so that the public can come to contemplate them. After leaving, you will cross Doctor Fleming Avenue and Palencia Avenue to cross the Bernesga River by the Lions Bridge and continue through Plaza de Guzmán, Ordoño II Avenue, Santo Domingo Square and Ancha Street until you reach Plaza de Regla. In León you can visit the Museum of Holy Week, where many of the detailed steps are exposed.”
Thank you Magicdocta.

I hope that enlightens anyone else wondering about that amazing spectacle we stumbled upon. It was one of the highlights of our Camino as we’ve never seen anything like it anywhere else. The masks were spinetinglingly spooky though!

I followed the advice in another post that opening a website through Chrome rather than Safari would translate it - worked for Gronze and also for this. Maybe easier than using Bing translator?

Thanks again for your reply.

On Safari I have a small translate symbol in the URL box, when a website is in a language other than English. I click that and the text gets translated.
Thank you Magicdocta.

I hope that enlightens anyone else wondering about that amazing spectacle we stumbled upon. It was one of the highlights of our Camino as we’ve never seen anything like it anywhere else. The masks were spinetinglingly spooky though!

I followed the advice in another post that opening a website through Chrome rather than Safari would translate it - worked for Gronze and also for this. Maybe easier than using Bing translator?

Thanks again for your reply.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughter and I were in Leon in July 2019 and saw a similar procession with men carrying religious floats (but without masks) and lots of people in their best clothes. It came right past the door of the municipal albergue and lasted at least an hour.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.