• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Bilbao airport -advice please

Etara

Time of past OR future Camino
24 May Burgos to Leon
Hi we are a group of 5 trying to arrange a transfer from Leon to Bilbao airport and finding it v difficult to arrange transport. Private transfer is €440, no car available to hire to cater for 5&bags (7 seater) any ideas?.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check out various tranport possibilities/prices/times on www.Rome2Rio.com. For example there are RENFE trains each day from Leon with connections to BIO. You can also check tranaport possibilities using Google maps.

Happy research and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi we are a group of 5 trying to arrange a transfer from Leon to Bilboa airport and finding it v difficult to arrange transport. Private transfer is €440, no car available to hire to cater for 5&bags (7 seater) any ideas?.
You can look up ALSA or Voyages SNCF fro info. Trian is expensive €100+ per head. The bus is cheaper at about €35/head. You will then need transfer from Bilbao to the airport. Have you considered renting a car?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Trains start as low as 30 euros from Leon to Bilbao on the RENFE website. Takes about 4 1/2 hours. Then a cab from the train station to the Bilbao airport would be quickest, but there is a great airport bus for those who want to save money and don't mind the slight extra inconvenience. http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Bilbao/en/Page/1237554477328/Public-transport.html

The Plaza Moyua stop is about a 5-10 minute walk to the train station. But cabs are plentiful.

Renfe train from Leon to Bilbao --- once per day

Renfe FEVE train from Leon to Bilbao --- once per day

Renfe train from Leon to Palencia and Palencia to Bilbao --- works twice including the direct from Leon.

Renfe train from Leon to Burgos ---- three times per day plus trenhotel. ALSA bus from Burgos to Bilbao Termibus. (note involves transfer from Burgos Rosa Lima to Burgos bus station)

ALSA does have buses from Leon to Bilbao.

Renfe site has transfer time limits --- You could try mix and match --- Leon to Palencia, Palencia to Miranda de Ebro -- Miranda de Ebro to Bilbao ... you might get there sooner than the only direct train but it might mean waiting at one of the stops for a while.

At Bilbao:

Take Metro from Bilbao Indalecio Prieto Renfe station to San Mames.

San Mames is co located with Bilbao Termibus.

Take local shuttle from Termibus to Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
By train from León to downtown Bilbao:
  • A daily direct train (in the afternoon). See www.renfe.com for info about schedules fares...
  • A morning option changing trains in Valladolid (daily except Sundays)
  • If you are train fan, aren't looking for a fancy train and want a scenic ride, you may consider the daily direct narrow gauge train from León to Bilbao but it's really slow and not for everyone.
If you decide to go by train to Bilbao, you can walk from the train station to Plaza Moyúa to take the bus to the airport.

By bus from León to downtown Bilbao:
  • Take a look at the web of Alsa www.alsa.es/en There are some direct buses (not daily) as well as options changing buses in Burgos.
If you go by bus to Bilbao, you could take a bus to the airport at the bus station itself.

If you can't find a car to rent big enough for all of you, you may consider to rent two cars (assuming two of you have a drivers' license valid to drive in Spain)... just another idea (compare prices of all of them).

Renfe train from Leon to Palencia and Palencia to Bilbao --- works twice including the direct from Leon.

AFAIK, it's just the direct train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back