• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Oviedo

Dilbin

Time of past OR future Camino
Irun to Santander del Norte
Hi. Having recently completed the Portuguese I would like to walk in early August the Camino Salvador. I'm hoping someone who has walked this route may offer some advice. I believe its very solitary and Albergues may be difficult as many appear closed. Stopping at Cafes etc isn't of much interest to me as I do love sitting on a mountain or by a river eating my lunch so any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks, Daniel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. Having recently completed the Portuguese I would like to walk in early August the Camino Salvador. I'm hoping someone who has walked this route may offer some advice. I believe its very solitary and Albergues may be difficult as many appear closed. Stopping at Cafes etc isn't of much interest to me as I do love sitting on a mountain or by a river eating my lunch so any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks, Daniel
Hi, Daniel,

The Salvador is lovely. One of its real advantages is that you can break up the mountain stages into short distances, and the accommodation is good.

I think that the only albergues still closed on the Salvador are the municipal ones in La Robla, Buiza, and Pola de Gordón. If you search some recent live threads, you‘ll see that people are walking and not having issues finding accommodation. There are pilgrims out there now, in fact one recent pilgrim reported a night when the albergue in Poladura was full. In August, this camino is likely to be busy (by Salvador standards). In past years there has been what I would call a “bed crunch.” That means that you may find 20 people trying to get a spot, so it’s not really a mob scene, just that the number of beds isn’t geared to peak summer walking. August is the most popular month for Spanish peregrinos, and that’s when the numbers rise.

But don’t worry, walking out there you are usually going to be alone and able to enjoy the solitude!

Hi, Daniel,

The Salvador is lovely. One of its real advantages is that you can break up the mountain stages into short distances, and the accommodation is good.

I think that the only albergues still closed on the Salvador are the municipal ones in La Robla, Buiza, and Pola de Gordón. If you search some recent live threads, you‘ll see that people are walking and not having issues finding accommodation. There are pilgrims out there now, in fact one recent pilgrim reported a night when the albergue in Poladura was full. In August, this camino is likely to be busy (by Salvador standards). In past years there has been what I would call a “bed crunch.” That means that you may find 20 people trying to get a spot, so it’s not really a mob scene, just that the number of beds isn’t geared to peak summer walking. August is the most popular month for Spanish peregrinos, and that’s when the numbers rise.

But don’t worry, walking out there you are usually going to be alone and able to enjoy the solitude!
Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed the Portuguese and met so many pilgrims. I do however enjoy walking alone and so a quite Caminon is also welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Daniel,
Walked El Salvador the end of May beginning June in 2019. A quiet, beautiful hike. Especially the middle section. On the beginning and final stretch you’ll be walking mostly on tarmac. Didn’t encounter many Peregrinos. No problems finding accommodation, but that may be so the end of May/ beginning of June. On Gronze.com you can find maps etc.
Buen Camino,
Peter

Hi Daniel,
Walked El Salvador the end of May beginning June in 2019. A quiet, beautiful hike. Especially the middle section. On the beginning and final stretch you’ll be walking mostly on tarmac. Didn’t encounter many Peregrinos. No problems finding accommodation, but that may be so the end of May/ beginning of June. On Gronze.com you can find maps etc.
Buen Camino,
Peter
👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks folks for the info. Fortunately I have all camino routes on Maps.me but prefer not to use unless extremely lost(yet to happen). Good to hear accommodation is not an issue. Which is easier to fly to for bus to Leon, Bilbao or Madrid? Santander is not an option as the dates don't work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ll be on the Salvador in mid-June and I’ll provide some updates here.
Perfect. Thank you. I hope to break it into 6 stages although the elevations etc don't look much tougher that Del Norte. Perhaps the last stage. Enjoy the way.

Perfect. Thank you. I hope to break it into 6 stages although the elevations etc don't look much tougher that Del Norte. Perhaps the last stage. Enjoy the way.
Thanks, we’re also planning on 6 stages. I’ll be coming off about 3.5 weeks of camino walking already but it’ll be the first day for my friend and he has back problems so we don’t want to push it too hard.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dilbin,
Please post what you find along the Salvador. I will follow in late September.
Here is the link to the helpful and definitive 2022 Guide by Jose Antonio Cuñarro known as Ender who has way marked and lovingly tends to this route. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NH...ml8uRilvgvUEqj4V-9j8LnEQ9Lcz4acrlNSVmKu26ArxE
There is a FB group see pic below.
Buen Camino 🚶🏻‍♂️! Aymarah View attachment 125809
I have made this little guide after walking San Salvador in October 21 - might be useful for you: https://www.caminolife.com/guide-camino-san-salvador/

SOOOOOOO wonderful Camino San Salvador. Plenty of oppotunities for a lunch in the mountains. Beware there is about 50 kms without any supermarkets. I walked San Salvador in October and have shared my tips for the route here:
https://www.caminolife.com/guide-camino-san-salvador/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SOOOOOOO wonderful Camino San Salvador. Plenty of oppotunities for a lunch in the mountains. Beware there is about 50 kms without any supermarkets. I walked San Salvador in October and have shared my tips for the route here:
https://www.caminolife.com/guide-camino-san-salvador/

I saw that you walked the Munistiriu alternative. Looks like they have added some improvements since I walked in September — mainly good signage, and a chain!

I would recommend getting the opinion of the hospitalero in Llanos de Somerón on the day anyone wants to consider the Munistiriu. I think he has been very involved in the marking and layout of the alternative.

And it really shows how much difference elevation makes — from the sign you posted, the two routes vary only a little in distance, but I am sure it took me at least an hour longer than my previous walks on the original “official route” road down to near Puente Fierro.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back