• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Paris...suggestions needed

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Chances are high my hubby will be flying out of Leon to head home to the States.
Charles De Gaul tends to be where the cheapest flights go out of...does anyone know of great options to get out of Leon and up for a later flight out of CDG?
Thanks in advance,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I have flown out of CdG my flight is generally around 11 - 12 noon (most flights are to Singapore / Aust). As I am a nervous traveller I like to have the simplest most direct way, and so on arrival at Leon I stay at the hotel which is right at the Station entrance, and then rise early and catch the TGV that goes direct to CdG (from memory it departs at somewhere between 6 and 7a.m - but the voyages website should tell you that) with either no, or perhpas one, stop(can't rememebr without checking my notes) I buy the ticket the night before when I arrive, and it is a simple and easy matter to walk into the station, catch the train with no changes required. Once at CdG it is a simple matter to make your way to the airport terminal required, using the little "train" that runs every 10 minutes or so. Janet

When I have flown out of CdG my flight is generally around 11 - 12 noon (most flights are to Singapore / Aust). As I am a nervous traveller I like to have the simplest most direct way, and so on arrival at Leon I stay at the hotel which is right at the Station entrance, and then rise early and catch the TGV that goes direct to CdG (from memory it departs at somewhere between 6 and 7a.m - but the voyages website should tell you that) with either no, or perhpas one, stop(can't rememebr without checking my notes) I buy the ticket the night before when I arrive, and it is a simple and easy matter to walk into the station, catch the train with no changes required. Once at CdG it is a simple matter to make your way to the airport terminal required, using the little "train" that runs every 10 minutes or so. Janet

Hello janet,

I don't believe you can take a tgv train (sncf) from leon to charles de gaulle airport in paris. If my memory is correct, you will have to switch from a renfe train somewhere at the border between spain and france (irun/hendaye).

Buen camino.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We took a Eurolines bus from Paris to Leon. I'm sure they'd go the other way too! 18 hours.

Take the Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye. Catch the SNCF train from Irun to Paris.

The border is complicated depending on the train you take. A transfer is required because the French and Spanish rail operate on a different guage. See the wikipedia links.

The other option is to catch the train or bus to an airport from which flights go to Paris. Asturias is well connected to Leon by Bus. Easy Jet, a discount airline, flies from Biarritz to Paris. Madrid has flights with Iberia. Unfortunately Leon is poorly connected by air.

I was you I'd look at flying Madrid to Miami and onward from there.

Renfe website:
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

SNCF website
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Irun train station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irun_railway_station

Hendaye train station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_d%27Hendaye

Aena airports website (see Asturias and Madrid)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...s/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Paris Airports
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-gb/passagers/home/

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies - mistakes happen when one does things in a hurry! I read Leon as Lyon! However continuing on from that, I have caught the train from SdC (it goes through Leon) to Hendaye (the next stop after Irun), stayed a night in a hotel around the corner from the station, spent the day wandering around Irun / Hendaye, and then caught the night train to Lyon, and from there as in my first post. Some people who were travelling on the same train actually caught the night train on after arriving, but that can be dodgy if there is a delay for some reason. I must say, that this is a really nice slow way to come back from the Camino, but it is time consuming - which is why in January I am bussing it to Porto and then flying Easyjet direct to CdG. Sorry about the wrong info (right for another town!). I won't do things in a hurry next tiem. Janet

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The notes below regarding RENFE to Hendaya are accurate. My wife and I boarded the RENFE in Santiago in mid-October - (there is a RENFE office on Rua de Villar or Rua de Raina - just South of thePlaza in front of the Cathedral). 11 hours, and some stops later, we were in Hendaya. The next morning we boarded the Train to Bayonne and thence via the TGV to CDG. Wonderful trains, all on schedule. One can leave Santiago (or Leon) via RENFE and be at CDG the next afternoon around 14:30 hrs. Prices are fine - no baggage hassles, etc.

If you need a place to stay at CDG due to flight schedules I highly recommend the Hotel Holles Folles in Mauregard. a short taxi ride to a lovely, small, hotel on a french farm. Jerome is the host and you could not ask for a more gracious person.

You could get the
ALVIA 0414016.4118.181 h. 37 min. to
Valladolid
and then take the
TRENHOTEL /00407
ico_info.gif
MADRID-CHAMARTINPARIS-AUSTERLITZ
arrives Valladolid 20.56 and arrives paris next morning at 09.30

I travelled back this way last June with a bed for the night costing less than 100 euros

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back