• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago in 2 Weeks?

Lizzo

I am wanting to walk from Leon to Santiago. Is it possible to do in 2 weeks? Or is that pushing it? And does anyone know how crowded the route is in late April/early May?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have 2 friends who did it in 2 weeks last year at that time of year. One of them wasn't terribly fit and was asthmatic. I can't comment on the crowds, all I know is they loved it. Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to add our two cents. We left Leon on the morning of 14 June last year (2008) and arrived at Santiago at about 1000 on the 25th. We had about three long etaps (over 30 kilometers). Stops were at:
Hospital de Orbigo
Astorga
Rabanal
Ponferrada
Trabadelo
O Cebrerio
Samos
Portomarin
Ligonda
Arzua
Pedruozo

took me 13 days, was in good shape by then, as above poster says, so long as you don't run into any problems you should be ok, there are a few long/hard days though.

Hello all, this is my 1st post re the Camino tho Ive been researching and reading your posts and found them good. So Im hoping to walk from Leon in early Sept , when you say two weeks is ok 1 day must be added at the start and end which would make it a 16 day trip min ? Cant wait till Sept !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi bunclody, greetings from Dublin. I walked that section in May. I did it in 13 days. Quite doable.

I had limited time and debated starting in Leon. In the end I started in Astorga and made it to Santiago in ten days. Looking back I could easy have had time to do the 40 or so km from Leon in two days, 12 days total. I probably averaged 25km a day with only one long day at 37km.

My route went: Astorga
Rabanal
Molinaseca
Villafranca
O Cebreiro
Triacastela
Sarria
Portomarin
San Xulian
Salceda
Santiago

I never felt that I was pushing it, even the long day was hard more mentally than physically.

My bit of advise, triacastelet Sarria don't go Samos route, save about 15 km .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Re: Leon to Santiago in 2 Weeks?

mad galway man said:
My bit of advise, triacastelet Sarria don't go Samos route, save about 15 km .

Yea that was a tedious day. Samos itself isn't that great apart from the monastery. Tours are at set times so hit it wrong and you can have a long wait until the next one. Makes for a long day. I ended up skipping it as it was going to be a good couple of hours at least before I was underway again which made the detour a bit pointless. It's a lovely route but makes for a very long day if Sarria is your destination.

Well, as someone who walked Ponferrada - Santiago during May last year, I thought the stretch between Samos and Sarria was wonderful. I started that morning in Tricastella and the initial route to Samos was along a (deserted) highway for a little, but the descent into Samos was certainly something. I had breakfast there and then pressed-on. Very few people and beautiful bucolic scenery. At times no human sound was audible. I thought i was lost a couple of times too, such is the isolation and dodgy trailmarking! Just goes to show that everyone's experience is different. btw, if you do take the Samos detour, take enough water for the at initial 10km as there was nothing in the way of shops or bars...

StuartM said:
In the end I started in Astorga .

Thinking about doing Astorga to SdC this June - how did you get to Astorga? Where did you fly into?
Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi :) I also plan to go Leon - Compostela this spring. I would like to ask, how it is with the registering for the journey. Is it easy to find the "camino" in Leon? I will probably arrive with the bus from Madrid airport probably early in the morning (about 5 am) and not sure how will I find the correct way... Thank you very much.

not sure how will I find the correct way
The bus station is across the river from the Camino, so walk toward the cathedral, crossing the bridge you can see from the bus station. At the Cathedral you will pick up the route markers (actually, they will start a long block from the cathedral, if you watch for brass shells in the pavement).

Thinking about doing Astorga to SdC this June - how did you get to Astorga? Where did you fly into?
Cheers![/quote] - I think it is possible to take bus from Madrid Airport directly to Astorga: http://www.alsa.es.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
station of origin station of destination departure arrival Duration retail price from to days
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 09:35 14:50 5h 15min 24.11€ LMXJV
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 09:35 15:30 5h 55min 26.05€ VS
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 13:45 18:00 4h 15min 33.16€ LMXJVS
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 15:45 22:00 6h 15min LMXJV
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 16:00 22:00 6h 00min 26.05€ LMXJ
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 16:45 21:30 4h 45min 24.11€ LMXJVS
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 20:30 00:30 4h 00min 33.16€ V
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Astorga 23:59 04:15 4h 16min 24.11€ LMXJVSD

One more question :). Please, if I arrive to Astorga around 22:00, will it be still possible to find there the accommodation? Or is there a way to book something? Thank you :)

You should book a hotel at that late hour. The albergues are likely to be closed or full.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola,
I will arrive to Astorga by bus probably early in the morning (around 7 am) in August. Is it possible to get "la credencial del peregrino" at that early hour?

The San Javier albergue has credentials, and they are up at that hour.

There will be a couple of long days, and it'd be a shame to miss that walk down the valley through Samos, but it's probably doable if you're in decent shape (mostly your feet and how tough they are). In winter it would be harder, just because you'd run out of sunlight, but you should be okay in April.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am wanting to walk from Leon to Santiago. Is it possible to do in 2 weeks? Or is that pushing it? And does anyone know how crowded the route is in late April/early May?

It took us ten days..(att the end of september 14 - 24 /9/ 2010 )We feelt ourselfs healthy (we stil do..) and we did not pressed the time at all.. We used to begin earlymorning and walk all-day-long, about 25-40 km/day ..it realy possible to make in in 14 days. We did other Camino since than..2012 via dela Plata+Camino Sanabres 1000 km/ 31 days... and 2014 Camino de Levante+ Sureste+ de Invierno / 1200 km / 38 days. My opinion is that...everone has it own way of expiriensing the Camino and to do it. The Camino is a very individual thing för every each and one of us... You better fined and walk you own pace . Buen camino Lizzo

Attachments

• DSC_0500.jpeg
    DSC_0500.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just checked y old guide book for this info. I felt quite a bit stronger when I got to Leon

Leon
Hospital De Obrigo
Rabanal
Ponferrada
Vega Del Valcarce
Fonfria
Barbadelo
Airexe
Arzua
Santiago

The long stretches weren't planned as such. This was in July and after Sarria we hit the crowds who were trying to get to SDC for the 25th. Actually we had to walk back to Monte de Gozo as there were no beds in SDC. Made for a great night watching the fireworks which seems to be a tradition.
Not staying in Viafronco del Bierzo was a good call. The albergues in Vega were virtually empty and it made the climb the next day earlier and easier

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.