• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago in 8 days...possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Polaco

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in September!
I'm looking to make it from Leon to Santiago in 8 days and curious to know if this is possible based on the terrain, congestion, potential weather, etc. I am quite fit and an experienced endurance athlete, and while I would like to take more time to walk this section (and more!), I can only take limited time off from work. I appreciate any insight. Gracias, merci, danke, dziekuje...!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
'Endurance athlete' might mean you can walk further faster than the rest of us but it doesn't mean you have endurance to walk those long distances day after day.

If you have to ask then you don't know your abilities. There is no way we can second guess what you don't know. I would recommend you reassess and come up with a plan based on your proven abilities.

The camino is not now and never was intended to be a contest of endurance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You don't have to be superfit - I walked it in 7 days - stopped at Hospital de Orbigo, Riego de Ambros, Trabadelo, Triacastela, Portomarin, Ribadiso and Santiago

I walked in April so there was less pressure on getting a bed at the albergue - staying in hostels/hotels might allow you to walk longer days - the last day, I walked 42km in 7 hours - my longest day was 11 hours in walking 57km to Riego but with an extra day you won't need to be so extreme - but you should aim to pack very light (say 2.5kg plus up to 1.5 ltr water) - and trail running shoes will be fine

Why not bus a little from Leon and take it easier and enjoy it more! I as many others find taking it easier has so many benefits - not risking blisters/injury, enjoying the scenery and places along the day more, not losing your fellow walkers every day and so being able to enjoy them. All of these things are an important part of the Camino as is "letting go" of many things including being in competition with yourself. I can talk with some experience having once walked 68K in 13 hours of 36 degree heat from Negreria to Muxia one Saturday in order to be at that lovely church for mass the next day. This after completeing a Frances. I can honestly say Never Again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm looking to make it from Leon to Santiago in 8 days and curious to know if this is possible based on the terrain, congestion, potential weather, etc. I am quite fit and an experienced endurance athlete, and while I would like to take more time to walk this section (and more!), I can only take limited time off from work. I appreciate any insight. Gracias, merci, danke, dziekuje...!
Possible... But why? There's tonnes to see and experience

When we walk the camino again we will take a bus from Leon to Hospital de Orbiga as we found no joy in that stretch as it's mostly along the main road with thunderous traffic. Getting a bus would save a day or more walking if you are short of time. Even though you are very fit be mindful that walking for long distances or too fast can cause problems such as Tendonitis or painful joints. I can't count the amount of fit young men and women we met with these problems who had to give up walking the camino . If you are used to walking distances of 30 km or so then fine, but if not remember the Tortoise and the Hare! Sincerely hope you enjoy your Camino

Hi, it's about 300 km. Why do you want to do this in 8 days? Why not begin closer to Santiago and you have than more time for some site seeing along the way. What ever choice you make, I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are quite fit, I'm sure you can do it and in all likelihood have no problem finding a bunk every night, but those will be some long days walking there. Maybe shave a couple of days off and start at Astorga instead. Little more time to smell the roses.
cheers

Sure it could be done. 314 kms. You'll be doing 40 km days. In my youth (and another life) I had to do distances like that. Even an 80 km day............that was a killer.

But......

1. 40 kms day after day is not the same as one or two 40 km days. Not sure if you have done multi day endurance stuff. Your body, particularly feet and legs will suffer. A lot.

2. Why not start closer? At 40 kms a day you'll probably be the fastest Pilgrim out there. Or starting way before others or finishing way later than others. And you won't have much of a chance to interact with others. At least not the same people over an extended period. You'll be leaving them behind all the time. Even the younger fitter ones.

If you want a challenge and an endurance test. Go for it! I'm sure it can be done.

If you want more of a Camino experience...............start closer .............

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I checked my stages (late August 2013) and I did La Virgen de las Camino to Santiago in 9 days. La Virgen is just after León. As I can see it shortening that stretch with 1 day should not be any problems as I only did a 9 km the last day). Otherwise I do really recommend camino Primitivo that is suitable for 8 days but there might be a reason for you to start in León and not in Oviedo.

When do you want to walk? It is easier to answer about weather, congestion if we know.

This is my stages.

15 La Virgen de las Camino-Villares de Órbigo 30.8 via Villar de Mazarife

16 Villares de Órbigo-Foncebadón 41.3

17 Foncebadón-Compostilla 30.7

18 Compostilla-La Faba 45.9 via the route over Pradela

19 La Faba-Samos 36.2

20 Samos-Vilachá 34.5

21 Vilachá-Melide 42.3

22 Melide-Vilamaior 44.0

23 Vilamaior-Santiago de Compostela 9.0

It took us 2 weeks to walk from Leon to Santiago last March/April. We had one day of rest in Astorga, and spent an afternoon in Samos, and a morning in Ponferrada. We also took some longer ways to avoid the highway, and Samos was a few km out of the way. So if we hadn't paused to see those places... it would have taken us 10-12 days. Why don't you spend a day in Leon, and then take a bus to Astorga and hike from there? You'll want to have time to meet people and stop to look at the world you walk by. --I'm still wishing I had taken the time to walk to Vilar de Donas which would have added an extra 5 km, and a wait time of a few hours in the morning. If you rush through with eyes only on the kilometers you need to cover you won't have time to see where you are walking.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you rush through with eyes only on the kilometers you need to cover you won't have time to see where you are walking.
From the Original Poster: "I can only take limited time off from work."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's possible :)

I did Burgos - Leon in 3 days, Leon - Oveido (Camino Salvador) in 3 days and Oveido to Santiago in 6 days (Primitivo). So it took me 9 days from Leon - Santiago going a longer/hillier route. Buen Camino :)

It's possible :)

I did Burgos - Leon in 3 days, Leon - Oveido (Camino Salvador) in 3 days and Oveido to Santiago in 6 days (Primitivo). So it took me 9 days from Leon - Santiago going a longer/hillier route. Buen Camino :)
Hi, in my opinion this has nothing to do with the Camino feeling. It's all about going as fast as possible from point A till point B. Peter.

Hi, in my opinion this has nothing to do with the Camino feeling. It's all about going as fast as possible from point A till point B. Peter.
Hi Peter, El polacoasked a question and uniq answered it. And I wonder if this reply was very helpful. Who are we to judge based on our own "feelings" how or why or in what timescale people want to walk the camino.a lot of people like to walk the camino as walkers, not as pilgrims and unless asked ,we should perhaps keep our "feelings" to ourselves and give a helpful response to a question about the practical aspect of distances to SDC given the limited amount of time that some people have. I must say that I sometimes get frustrated when people pontificate about the camino "experience" and don't understand when they do not realise that it's a different experience for everybody and no more or less valuable than theirs. Bueno camino to everyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Stay at work .
Bank your leave.
PS If you start after summer you can get odds with me.
Galicia sometimes has heavy rain every day.

That's your opinion but I can happily say you're wrong. :)

Buen Camino :)

@Peter Fransiscus I know you read this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...is-slow-enough-and-some-other-questions.35107 and this type of comment was the reason I started it. I'm sad to see how you judge other persons experience after how you prefer to do a camino. Why not just answer the OP question or ask some questions to see if you can provide some thoughts. Does OP want to smell the roses, talk to every pilgrim on the route and all people in the villages, see every church, do every detour and have a sello from every bar and albergue on the way? If the answer to those questions are yes then we might tell the OP that the timeframe is a little bit narrow for that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
OK can we please not let this deteriorate into a slanging match. Both sides of this argument have a valid point - lets just leave it at that.

@Peter Fransiscus I know you read this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...is-slow-enough-and-some-other-questions.35107 and this type of comment was the reason I started it. I'm sad to see how you judge other persons experience after how you prefer to do a camino. Why not just answer the OP question or ask some questions to see if you can provide some thoughts. Does OP want to smell the roses, talk to every pilgrim on the route and all people in the villages, see every church, do every detour and have a sello from every bar and albergue on the way? If the answer to those questions are yes then we might tell the OP that the timeframe is a little bit narrow for that.
Thank you Beatrice, I read your former thread and it's everything I wanted to say myself.

As this is continuing to be a "me v you" contest I'm closing the thread. If is now simply posters confirming one or other side of the contagonists. If anyone has real information to convey to answer the OP they can PM me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back