• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago, just got back.

Scary

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk from Leon to Camino de Santiago in 2017 with a friend.
Hi ,
I walked from 1st-21st june from Leon to Santiago and from everything i had read on here, all the warnings and advice from Bugs to heavy packs, i must admit it wasnt what i expected.
I had a small 35L bag that weighed 15lbs this sounded heavy to me but day 2 and i no longer felt it, it wasnt the burden i expected it to be.
I stayed in hostels or albergues ranging from 5€ up to 30€ because some nights i got myself a single room just for a good nights sleep.
I woke up each morrning early with the scuffles but went back to sleep and set off each day at around 8am , i then walked 25km everyday for around 5-6 hours gently taking my time and savouring the moments, sometimes longer if i stayed too long for lunch somewhere, i would then walk into the next albergue or hostel around 3pm dump my bag have a rest and wait for the siesta to be over at 5-6pm then id either go to the local supermarket and buy salad, bread, or anything i could cook on a stove top and take it back to eat or id find a nice restaurant. Either way i was able to go to bed as early as i pleased, i found a lot of people crashing at 6pm but i was able to wander and look around and.crash at 9-10pm.
Not once did i have trouble finding a bed and not once did i have trouble with bugs etc everyone was very nice and welcoming.
I couldnt understand why people were getting up at 5am? I presumed they were walking a much longer distance than me but i thought sleep was important as well as the enjoyment of it , i didnt want to just walk, sleep, walk, sleep, it was the only vacation i was gonna get this year so i was gonna enjoy every bit and i was not on a mission to reach the end , that was not my focus , my focus was to enjoy each day as it came.
The things that i took that i found usefull were safety pins rather.than clothes pegs, i saw many struggle with pegs on a windy day with lau.dry falling off the lines, safety pins secured them better, and they also allowed me to dry my socks on my packpack.
I took a water bottle as many people obsessed about them but i didnt use it once and i lugged it about for 2 weeks full before deciding to ditch it, there were so many coffee shops along the way i didnt need it. My goose down sleeping bag was well used and warm, some of the bedding provided looked a little worse for wear and i was glad to have my own.
Bum bag or fanny pack i wore constantly, handy for pilgrim passport, wallet and camara, at night id take it off and put it in my sleeping bag with me.
Croc sandels, found these just before i left, a pair of sandals made by crocs and i wore them every day in an evening. Compeed, moleskin and nuderm dressings came in very handy, i only got 1 small blister on 1 foot on the bunion area, it filled up with fluid and i put on a dressing kept it covered couple of days later the fluid had reabsorbed on its own and the blister was on its way to healing without the need for needles and thread and risk of infection. I had trouble with the joints of my toes so wrapped them with moleskin tape , this certainly worked.
I took 3 tshirts but used only 2 one for bed one for day, 2 shorts but wore only one, washed and hung to dry at night.
3 socks well worn. Rain jacket unused.
Towel well used, swim suit that im glad i took as some of the albergues had pools. 1 long sleeved merino wool top which i wore to death if not on then round my waiste, the temperature drops quick. I took 1300€ and spent €300 a week on alberques and food and drinks, the part i enjoyed the most was arou d 5km before Sarria there is a pilgrims resting place where volunteers had set up fruit and refreshments and hammocks and chairs, it was in the middle of nowhere so it was wonderful to come across.
Then out of Sarria where everything is green , reminded me of the English countryside with its fields of sheep and cows and woodlands.
Not sure if this helps anyone, thought id share anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi ,
I walked from 1st-21st june from Leon to Santiago and from everything i had read on here, all the warnings and advice from Bugs to heavy packs, i must admit it wasnt what i expected.
I had a small 35L bag that weighed 15lbs this sounded heavy to me but day 2 and i no longer felt it, it wasnt the burden i expected it to be.
I stayed in hostels or albergues ranging from 5€ up to 30€ because some nights i got myself a single room just for a good nights sleep.
I woke up each morrning early with the scuffles but went back to sleep and set off each day at around 8am , i then walked 25km everyday for around 5-6 hours gently taking my time and savouring the moments, sometimes longer if i stayed too long for lunch somewhere, i would then walk into the next albergue or hostel around 3pm dump my bag have a rest and wait for the siesta to be over at 5-6pm then id either go to the local supermarket and buy salad, bread, or anything i could cook on a stove top and take it back to eat or id find a nice restaurant. Either way i was able to go to bed as early as i pleased, i found a lot of people crashing at 6pm but i was able to wander and look around and.crash at 9-10pm.
Not once did i have trouble finding a bed and not once did i have trouble with bugs etc everyone was very nice and welcoming.
I couldnt understand why people were getting up at 5am? I presumed they were walking a much longer distance than me but i thought sleep was important as well as the enjoyment of it , i didnt want to just walk, sleep, walk, sleep, it was the only vacation i was gonna get this year so i was gonna enjoy every bit and i was not on a mission to reach the end , that was not my focus , my focus was to enjoy each day as it came.
The things that i took that i found usefull were safety pins rather.than clothes pegs, i saw many struggle with pegs on a windy day with lau.dry falling off the lines, safety pins secured them better, and they also allowed me to dry my socks on my packpack.
I took a water bottle as many people obsessed about them but i didnt use it once and i lugged it about for 2 weeks full before deciding to ditch it, there were so many coffee shops along the way i didnt need it. My goose down sleeping bag was well used and warm, some of the bedding provided looked a little worse for wear and i was glad to have my own.
Bum bag or fanny pack i wore constantly, handy for pilgrim passport, wallet and camara, at night id take it off and put it in my sleeping bag with me.
Croc sandels, found these just before i left, a pair of sandals made by crocs and i wore them every day in an evening. Compeed, moleskin and nuderm dressings came in very handy, i only got 1 small blister on 1 foot on the bunion area, it filled up with fluid and i put on a dressing kept it covered couple of days later the fluid had reabsorbed on its own and the blister was on its way to healing without the need for needles and thread and risk of infection. I had trouble with the joints of my toes so wrapped them with moleskin tape , this certainly worked.
I took 3 tshirts but used only 2 one for bed one for day, 2 shorts but wore only one, washed and hung to dry at night.
Towel well used, swim suit that im glad i took as some of the albergues had pools. 1 long sleeved merino wool top which i wore to death if not on then round my waiste, the temperature drops quick. I took 1300€ and spent €300 a week on alberques and food and drinks, the part i enjoyed the most was arou d 5km before Sarria there is a pilgrims resting place where volunteers had set up fruit and refreshments and hammocks and chairs, it was in the middle of nowhere so it was wonderful to come across.
Then out of Sarria where everything is green , reminded me of the English countryside with its fields of sheep and cows and woodlands.
Thank you for sharing your personal observations of your Camino experience. I too, used many of the same forum suggestions and they all served me well, including those simple little safety pins!

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Now its time to plan the next one.

Not sure there needs to be a next one, enjoyed it , seen it, love the distance but dont feel the need to repeat it when there are so many other walks to try like the Pacific crest trail etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great personal reflection, and will be walking in your footsteps late September and will be using much of your advice.

Hi ,

Scary, I love your attitude. You sound as though you thoroughly enjoyed your Camino and didn't worry about anyone else's. An attitude I wish to emulate when I go next year. Thank you for sharing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations and welcome back Scary! It sounds like it was absolutely wonderful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back