• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago - mid February 2015

MarioZuz

MarioM66
Time of past OR future Camino
15th February - 5th March 2015
My friend and I will be leaving Leon to Santiago in a couple of weeks. This will be quite a new experience for me to walk such a distance. Need some first hand information about the weather. Any references to some nice albergues on the way would also be appreciated.
Is there anyone leaving Leon on the same day?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My friend and I will be leaving Leon to Santiago in a couple of weeks. This will be quite a new experience for me to walk such a distance. Need some first hand information about the weather. Any references to some nice albergues on the way would also be appreciated.
Is there anyone leaving Leon on the same day?

Mario,

Welcome to the Forum! You will find much info here to help you plan your camino; pilgrims are always eager to share their knowledge and offer suggestions.

Mid February will be cold with snow very likely in the mountains. See these earlier threads for useful tips --
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/winter-camino-expense-compared-to-summer.19699/
and
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.16636/

Any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. For example during winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this hazardous situation. West from Leon particularly difficult stretches after storms might be Foncebadon, Monte Irago and, of course,the mythic and mystic O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. Be sure to scan this handy list of those albergues which WILL be open in winter.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you two might be the only pilgrims. Be sure to carry adequate food reserves for often out of season the local shop or resto is closed.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I walked from León to Santiago last november. Lat me tell you something: in the first day don't walk until Hospital de Órbigo like I did! Walk 'till Villar de Mazarife and hold on there. I so excited that walked more than I should. Was not a good idea.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We walked from Leon also, although it was June, so I can't help with the weather. I do second lahyre's advice not to walk from Leon to Orbigo the first day. Villar de Mazarife is plenty far. We walked to Orbigo on Day 2 and stayed there, which made for a pretty short day of walking, but Orbigo is a nice town, so it's a good place to spend an afternoon. Also, making sure the 1st 2 days were reasonably short allowed us to sort of ease into the walking.

I walked from León to Santiago last november. Lat me tell you something: in the first day don't walk until Hospital de Órbigo like I did! Walk 'till Villar de Mazarife and hold on there. I so excited that walked more than I should. Was not a good idea.

I'm so glad that you posted this. My wife and I are walking from Leon in just over a month from now *gulp*. :)
Our first day is to Villar de Mazarife and then on to Hospital de Orbigo on Day 2. It's nice to get validation that an easy start to things is the way to go!

Ron

You will not have problems to find a bed, but you should phone ahead to make sure the albergues are open! Buen Camino! SY *Who loves the variant over Villar de Mazarife and recommends it also*

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albergue Tio Pepe in Mazarife closes in January and February. Paraiso de Jesus has its detractors (me included), but should be open. San Antonio de Padua is one of the most pleasant albergues on the route, and should be open in February. Buen camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back