• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago

ColleenS

I am planning to walk from Leon to Santiago and would like to know what the terrain is like during this part of the Camino. Is it necessary to have hiking boots or would a good pair of walking shoes (sports shoes) be fine for this part of the Camino? I would also like to hear from anyone who has done this section of the Camino if they would suggest walking straight through from Leon or taking a rest day about half way along and, if so, where they would suggest I do this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum!
What time of the year you are walking, how many kilometres per day are you planning and so on...
I usually wear Gore-Tex mid boots while walking in the springtime. I have not done the camino during the summer months yet. In the summer I would maybe bring lighter trail shoes.
The first two stages are kind of flat, then you start climbing up to the mountains a couple of days then more mountains up and down. In Galicia it rains a lot so sturdy shoes/ boots are needed (IMHO).

One night in Leon is enough, but if you want to walk a little bit your first day you could walk to Virgen del Camino and a nice little village close to the airport a short walk out of Leon.

I have sent you a PM too.
buen camino
annie

The start out of Leon is good training. There is plenty of up-and-down, but no "killer" terrain. After Astorga, you will head steadily uphill until the Iron Cross. From the Iron Cross down the mountains and into Molinaseca, there is some difficult terrain, where boots and good tread are useful but not essential. Unless you need high boots for ankle support, low-cut boots are sufficient for most walkers.

Astorga is a good town for a rest (after two to three days). There is a lot to see, plenty of restaurants, and some reasonable hotels. Ponferrada is a large town with all stores and facilities, and a bus station if you want to skip ahead. After Sarria, everything is pretty small.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the Camino I walk with boots and Tevas walking sandals. Carrying your boots is a pain, but I have found that much of the route can be done in sandals and that my feet prefer them to boots.

If you take that choice remember that there are sections where you will need to have boots on and, if in doubt, get them on.

It can be a pain changing sandals and boots a couple of times a day, but my feet are the better for it.

We are all different so you must do what is best for you. I know someone who walked the whole of the Camino in just walking sandals but I would not take that chance.

Agree Astorga if you need the rest. There is a pilgrim museum there but check for the day it is closed.

This is the age-old question. If you do a search you will find long discussions on this topic. There are boot-lovers and there are trail shoes- lovers and there are running shoe-lovers. I even met a Mexican fellow walking in cowboy boots!

I've walked this section twice and both times I wore New Balance runners with absolutely no problems. Unless you have weak ankles.. .and unless you are USED to wearing hiking boots, I personally advise against them. There is no place along this path that warrants boots. It is more of a trek than a "hike." Most of the people I met both trips with horrid blisters were wearing boots. Buy your shoes 1.5 sizes too large and wear 2 pair of socks; one pair of thin liners and a pair of good wool socks like SmartWool.

That's my opinion. :wink:

Buy shoes that fit properly with the sock combination you plan to use. For me, it is my normal size. Shoes that are too large will give you blisters, and there is no rule-of-thumb that works for everyone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola ColleenS,
Leon to Santiago is a wonderful walk.
You may not need a rest day, once you get on the road. You might find this determined by how you feel, how much time you have, and also who you end up walking in sync with.
If you have enough time, have a good around at Leon. The Cathederal & Basilica of San Isidoro are good to visit, also round the Plaza de San Martín there are some excellent tapas bars, at night particularly on weekends. Also leave time, if you have it, for Santiago at the end, nice to sit around with other pilgrims you meet along the way.
As for footwear. I would always wear light-mid ankle boots, for ankle protection. Try get them fitted by someone at a trekking store, who knows what the are talking about.
Buen Camino
Col

Thank you for all your responses. I'm only going to be going in June/July 2013 but am trying to find out as much as possible in the meantime.

One thing that does worry me is carrying a backpack. I'm 53 years old, so will be 55 by the time I do the Camino. I'm reasonably fit - but far from being an athlete - and plan on doing as many day hikes as possible between now and the time I leave. I have heard that there are tour companies that will transport your luggage from place to place. Any comments in this regard would be gratefully received.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Colleen there is plenty of advice in the FAQ's about what to carry, what to leave at home and what backpack to have. You have plenty of time to do research, so no worries.

I have seen people in their 70's carry a pack so at 55 (my age) you have nothing to fear in carrying one.

There are companies who will ferry your bag but
1. They add significantly to the cost of the Camino.
2. If your bag is delivered to a refugio you have NO choice but to get there. You might want to change your plans as you go on.
3. Many of the refugious do not open early which means your bag could be outside for a while.
4. There have been instances where pilgrims arriving at a refugio to find bags parked outside have taken their displeasure out on the bag and thrown them in the street. Some (not all I hasten to add) see ferrying your back pack as cheating. Others see the car as a modern donkey. But there is a risk.
5. If there is something in your backpack that you need on the journey you might find yourself stuffed.
6. There is something physically and spiritually satisfying in carrying everything that you need on the Camino on your back. It teaches you how little we actually need in terms of possessions.

There are pilgrims who take some sort of handcart and put their rucksack in it.

While the Camino should not be an endurance test, you will find that with so many pilgrims carrying their bags you might feel the odd one out.

You have a year not only to get fit but also to pack what you intend to carry. Build up slowly and you will find you can carry it no problem.

IMHO I would only ferry a bag if you get an injury that makes you unable to carry one. In that case it would be better to ferry the bag and complete the Camino than give up and go home.

I wait to see what others think.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One baggage service is here:

http://www.caminofacil.net/Inicio%20Cam ... en%29.html

In general, the parochial and municipal albergues will not admit pilgrims who use a baggage service, so you will need to plan on private albergues, hostales, and hotels. That will raise the cost a bit, as will the daily baggage transportation cost, usually 8 to 10 Euro per stage. These accommodations are likely to be open when your baggage arrives, so it will be stored indoors. You are committed to a stage when your baggage is gone, but there may be bus and taxi opportunities to reach your stuff.

You can ruin your pilgrimage right from the start by worrying what others think. It is amazing how many cannot manage their own life, but think you should run yours their way! Pick the manner of your Camino, and have fun doing it!

I don't even want to imagine myself walking The Camino without ankle support, waterproof protection and sturdy toe protection. Then again, those are my limits and my thresholds. I take all these precautions because I do not want to be too distracted with with where and how to step; I want to know I am preventing an injury the best I can. I did not see a lot of people in shoes other than hiking boots with ankle support. I think the word is out.

and I just walked in the non-GTX version of the salomon speedcross no ankle support, no toeprotection etc, and not a blister or a pain from bad shoe choice (just went back for another pair today as they were worn out and im off walking again in 2 weeks)...

just goes to show that there are as many preferences as people

I think for the luggage, if you are sound and all no worries, pack light aim for 5 kg ex water and provisions and if you have problems (of ANY kind not just luggage) they can all be taken care of on the camino with not too much hazzle...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked on my boots, had no blisters and they look like they can walk back the Camino a couple of more times. Not sure if I would risk using shoes that might/might not make it all the way...

Hello Colleen,

Last April I walked from Leon to Santiago. it is a beautifull stretch, with lots off accommodation. Albergues and hostals.
Feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my schedule and some more information.
Happy preparations! Enjoy! You will love it.

Colleen:

Lot's of great questions. You have plenty of time to prepare.

In regards to hiking shoes, I wore merril low cut hiking shoes with a vibrum sole and smartwool socks. I had no blisters but did have some swelling of my achilles tendon. This was cured by the purchase of a smallnylon sock with a pad that covers the achilles. That said, the best advice I can give you here is to go to an outdoors store and get fitted for shoes.

As far as pack transportation, there are services that will transport you pack for 3-7 Euros a day. my friend used this service and they are reliable. She never had any problems with the pack being delivered to any type of Albergue. Though there were a few circumstances where the left the pack at a nearby cafe/bar because Albergues did not open until 2pm. The downside to this process, as mentioned earlier, is you are committed to that Alberguefor the day. It does not allow for the flexibility of changing your route etc. You also have to make these plans ahead of time and need to decide what you will carry each day (rain gear, sunscreen etc.). Somethings to consider before utilizing this service.

Rest days/time are usually taken based on an injury to recover. So the idea of planning them might be difficult. You might also take one based on a place you have found that you want to spend more time in or go off Piste to visit an historic site etc.

This forum will provide opinions on everyones owns experience. Your experience will be unique to you. I suggest you pack light, start slowly and let the Camino take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back