• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago

Dooze

Hi guys

Just checking, I am starting in Leon on 9 September. Do you suggest that I just arrive in
Leon and start walking. I am walking alone. or shall I make some bookings ahead. I am planning on staying at Refugios/Auberges. Any advice welcome please.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are arriving at the Leon airport and do not want to tour Leon, you can walk up the hill and turn right! A few hours later you will be in Villadango or Mazarife.

If you arrive by bus or train, you can walk 7 km to La Virgen del Camino, and stay at the albergue or a hostal there. La Virgen is the site of the airport. The next stops are about 13 km further.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have not been to Leon before I would suggest that you visit the Cathedral.
If you decide to skip the Leon outskirts you could catch a bus to Virgen del Camino and save some 7k/8k.
Line 1. Leon Santo Domingo - La Virgen - Santo Domingo.
There are many stops between Leon and Virgen del Camino
Plaza Santo Domingo (BBV)
Avda. Roma, 2 (Plaza Inmaculada)
Plaza Guzman
C/ Astorga (RENFE)
Avda. Quevedo, 2 (BBV; Crucero)
Avda. Párroco Pablo Díez, 22
Avda. Párroco Pablo Díez, 86
Avda. Párroco Pablo Díez, 190
Avda. Párroco Pablo Díez, 252 (Trobajo)
Cruce Camino de la Cruz
Carretera León - Astorga (Industrial estate, various stops)
La Virgen del Camino (various stops)
I caught it once and it had a few other pilgrims on it. It is easy to know where to get off in Virgen and just across the street is way marking for the camino just a few meters along the main road heading to your right.

Hi guys

Just checking, I am starting in Leon on 9 September. Do you suggest that I just arrive in
Leon and start walking. I am walking alone. or shall I make some bookings ahead. I am planning on staying at Refugios/Auberges. Any advice welcome please.
I did that section in May and only called ahead once when nearing Ponferrada because I wanted to spend the night in a hotel. The rest of the time I was on the trail by 7, never called ahead and always found a bed in the Albergue of my choice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Allan has given you great information above but IMO I would take a rest in Leon that first day, stroll around see the Cathedral, get your bearings for a departure the next day. True the way out of Leon is industrial and can be uninteresting but it is all part of the Camino, the choice is yours. Below is a link for all accommodation along the Camino and can be downloaded from this forum. Have a great Camino
Buen Camino
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

Allan has given you great information above but IMO I would take a rest in Leon that first day, stroll around see the Cathedral, get your bearings for a departure the next day. True the way out of Leon is industrial and can be uninteresting but it is all part of the Camino, the choice is yours. Below is a link for all accommodation along the Camino and can be downloaded from this forum. Have a great Camino
Buen Camino
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
Thankyou so much!

Buen Camino
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
I agree. I stayed at the Benedictine Convent my first night and it was a GREAT way to begin my Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree. I stayed at the Benedictine Convent my first night and it was a GREAT way to begin my Camino.
Hi, I am hopefully staying at the Benedictine Convent on Tuesday 2nd September but they won't take a booking. My flight gets into Oviedo at 14.30. Would I be too late to get in there? Angie

Leon is far too fabulous a place to miss! The cathedral is outstanding and there are lovely little streets to wander in and stop for a drink or tapa. I started my second leg from there in May but took a bus to Virgen del Camino from the bus station ( located adjacent to the train station) as less chance of getting on the wrong bus. It went direct to Virgen del Camino though was only pilgrim and only person to get off! Quick coffee and look at the very interesting modern church there (great sculptures on outside a bit Epstein-ish and modern stained glass) and hey presto you're right on the camino. Nice start and no need to beat yourself up about bussing the first bit.

Katy

Leon is far too fabulous a place to miss! The cathedral is outstanding and there are lovely little streets to wander in and stop for a drink or tapa. I started my second leg from there in May but took a bus to Virgen del Camino from the bus station ( located adjacent to the train station) as less chance of getting on the wrong bus. It went direct to Virgen del Camino though was only pilgrim and only person to get off! Quick coffee and look at the very interesting modern church there (great sculptures on outside a bit Epstein-ish and modern stained glass) and hey presto you're right on the camino. Nice start and no need to beat yourself up about bussing the first bit.

Katy
Thanks Katy, just worried about my first night. I am will have to get the train or bus down to Leon and find the Convent etc. I am not going to race for beds the next day. I will find a hostel somewhere the next day it is the just the first night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are several hundred beds split into several dorms so you should be okay.

If you do stay in Leon overnight the Convent may come as a bit of a shock for your first Albergue. I believe there are 120 ish beds between two rooms and for the men at least, 2 showers, 2 sinks and 2 toilets. It was friendly and in a great location but I don't think I'll be staying there again. The city is lovely though and at least in the Convent you would meet other Pilgrims to chat to and probably eat with.

I don't totally disagree that the Convent lacks in ambiance, but I do believe as stated before that it is a great way to spend a first night. And the folks who run it have exactly the right approach for serving weary perrigrinos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked Leon-Santiago last year and like many others I would recommend you explore Leon a little. It is a lovely place and the cathedral is stunning (and the FroYo close to the cathedral is a-okay ;-))

I stayed the night in Leon and was on my way the next day. I know a common advise is to skip the first 7-8 kms by going by bus which I don't understand. I didn't find the walk bad at all an by getting on the bus you will miss the very narrow apartment building close to train tracks (really, how do you decorate rooms in the building? :)) and you will miss the cute hobbit like houses on the hill.

Either way buen Camino. :)

We started in Leon and pre-booked a room there for our arrival night. We flew from San Francisco to Madrid, arrived in the evening so we spent the night in Madrid, then took the train to Leon the next day. We knew that we were likely to still have some residual jet lag upon our arrival in Leon and just felt more comfortable knowing where we would stay that night. It worked out well since we missed our intended train from Madrid to Leon and ended up arriving a few hours later than planned. This way, we got a good sleep and started fresh the next morning.

After that, we mostly just turned up at albergues and found space, although we did opt for hotel rooms a couple nights along the way. One day we had a really crappy day of walking and decided that we really wanted a room to ourselves, a private bathroom with plenty of hot water, and a little luxury (comparatively speaking) - so when we stopped for lunch, we got on booking.com and made a reservation for a room in an upcoming town. Another day I was having trouble with my ankle, so we took a taxi to the town we wanted to end up in that day (we had arranged to meet up with some friends there) and we booked a hotel room for the night since we didn't feel right about coming in a taxi and taking up space in an albergue - wanted to leave those for people who had actually walked all day.

This is the link for a nice hostal in Leon, a short walk to the Cathedral and near the river. When you are leaving walk to the river, turn right and follow the river to the Parador where you are then on the Camino. It is clean and inexpensive and friendly staff.
Oviedo
Avda. de Roma, 26
24001 León
Spain
Oviedo
Avda. de Roma, 2624001 LeónSpain
DirectionsSave
+34 987 22 22 36
https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.5979144,-5.5729028,17z?hl=en

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a strong, strong suggestion for you. Get to Leon, see the sights and bus forward to Hospital de Orbigo. I am definitely not the type that buses ahead and I did not skipped a stretch on the Camino. However, now I know better and I would 100% skipped the stretch between Leon and Hospital de Orbigo and use that time to take it much, much slower after Astorga, much specifically after O'Cebreiro.

BUEN CAMINO!!

Last edited:
I don't totally disagree that the Convent lacks in ambiance, but I do believe as stated before that it is a great way to spend a first night. And the folks who run it have exactly the right approach for serving weary perrigrinos.

I stayed there 15 March this year. And the people running it are wonderful and helpful and friendly, and the old city is absolutely gorgeous. But it was one of the most disappointing experiences of my Camino. There were quite a lot of people there then, despite it being winter. However I saw very few of them indeed actually on the track either before or after. Some appeared to be in semi-permanent residence claiming "sickness", and I was told that numbers were simply tourists looking for a cheap place to stay and that some albergues looked to this to keep cash flow going during the off season. Anyway that's not a problem for me. The shortage of toilet/shower facilities would be off-putting in busier times, but the real disappointment was the lack of camaraderie. The hospitalerios had advertised a Pilgrim meal for the evening and I thought what a lovely opportunity for some fellowship with others. But I was the only one there. From overheard conversations it seemed most others were on a crawl of Tapas bars.

Also they locked you in until 7.30 am. As was my wont, I headed off a bit earlier but had to talk my way out ("no puedo dormir por el ruido" I think). They understood between the lines perfectly.

Please walk out, don't bus. The initial part of the walk is fabulous, although there is a bit of "industrial" after that. It's all part of the experience (and the Camino is a celebration of life as much as anything). I walked on to Hospital de Orbigo the next day to purge myself. Lovely, easy longish day, and Hospital was another celebration.

De colores

Bogong

Hi guys

Hi Dooze,

I've just returned from walking from Astorga (just out of Leon) to Santiago by myself. I didn't book any accommodation and that worked for me, however I do understand that it may be busier in September. I too originally thought about booking ahead but decided to just 'go with the flow' for me this proved to be the best decision. Enjoy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe I didn't make my suggestion clear enough. "If you have not been to Leon before I would suggest that you visit the Cathedral.
If you decide to skip the Leon outskirts you could catch a bus to Virgen del Camino and save some 7k/8k.". Not knowing if you had been to Leon before I meant to strongly suggest visiting the Cathedral and my information was intended to be there if you didn't want to walk out of Leon on whichever day you left it. I personally always stay a night in Leon at a Hostal near the Basilica de San Isidro.

Maybe I didn't make my suggestion clear enough. "If you have not been to Leon before I would suggest that you visit the Cathedral.
If you decide to skip the Leon outskirts you could catch a bus to Virgen del Camino and save some 7k/8k.". Not knowing if you had been to Leon before I meant to strongly suggest visiting the Cathedral and my information was intended to be there if you didn't want to walk out of Leon on whichever day you left it. I personally always stay a night in Leon at a Hostal near the Basilica de San Isidro.
I will stay a night in leon and set off the next day. I think I will take a chance and find accomodation along the way :)

I stayed there 15 March this year. And the people running it are wonderful and helpful and friendly, and the old city is absolutely gorgeous. But it was one of the most disappointing experiences of my Camino. There were quite a lot of people there then, despite it being winter. However I saw very few of them indeed actually on the track either before or after. Some appeared to be in semi-permanent residence claiming "sickness", and I was told that numbers were simply tourists looking for a cheap place to stay and that some albergues looked to this to keep cash flow going during the off season. Anyway that's not a problem for me. The shortage of toilet/shower facilities would be off-putting in busier times, but the real disappointment was the lack of camaraderie. The hospitalerios had advertised a Pilgrim meal for the evening and I thought what a lovely opportunity for some fellowship with others. But I was the only one there. From overheard conversations it seemed most others were on a crawl of Tapas bars.

Also they locked you in until 7.30 am. As was my wont, I headed off a bit earlier but had to talk my way out ("no puedo dormir por el ruido" I think). They understood between the lines perfectly.

Please walk out, don't bus. The initial part of the walk is fabulous, although there is a bit of "industrial" after that. It's all part of the experience (and the Camino is a celebration of life as much as anything). I walked on to Hospital de Orbigo the next day to purge myself. Lovely, easy longish day, and Hospital was another celebration.

De colores

Bogong
Bogong you have convinced me to walk and not bus! :) I think it was the please that did it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We started in Leon and pre-booked a room there for our arrival night. We flew from San Francisco to Madrid, arrived in the evening so we spent the night in Madrid, then took the train to Leon the next day. We knew that we were likely to still have some residual jet lag upon our arrival in Leon and just felt more comfortable knowing where we would stay that night. It worked out well since we missed our intended train from Madrid to Leon and ended up arriving a few hours later than planned. This way, we got a good sleep and started fresh the next morning.

After that, we mostly just turned up at albergues and found space, although we did opt for hotel rooms a couple nights along the way. One day we had a really crappy day of walking and decided that we really wanted a room to ourselves, a private bathroom with plenty of hot water, and a little luxury (comparatively speaking) - so when we stopped for lunch, we got on booking.com and made a reservation for a room in an upcoming town. Another day I was having trouble with my ankle, so we took a taxi to the town we wanted to end up in that day (we had arranged to meet up with some friends there) and we booked a hotel room for the night since we didn't feel right about coming in a taxi and taking up space in an albergue - wanted to leave those for people who had actually walked all day.
Did you catch the train or bus back from Santiago to Madrid?

Did you catch the train or bus back from Santiago to Madrid?

Well, we had planned to take the train, but sometimes the forces that be have other ideas. Unfortunately we had to end our Camino early due to an emergency at home, so we didn't actually walk all the way to Santiago.

Day time trains take about 6 hours to get to Madrid, but there is also a night train that takes about 9.5 hours and arrives in Madrid about 8am - we had planned to take the night train.

Well, we had planned to take the train, but sometimes the forces that be have other ideas. Unfortunately we had to end our Camino early due to an emergency at home, so we didn't actually walk all the way to Santiago.

Day time trains take about 6 hours to get to Madrid, but there is also a night train that takes about 9.5 hours and arrives in Madrid about 8am - we had planned to take the night train.
There is a bus to Leon at Madrid airport?

€83,-
Madrid Barajas to Leon with ALSA
Station Of OriginStation Of DestinationDepartureArrivalDurationRetail PriceDepartureRetail PriceReturnServiceSeatsItineraryObservations
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -01:45Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon01:4506:304h 45min32.89€62.49€supra economyMore information on supra economy (new window will open)yesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 01:45 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -09:35Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon09:3514:004h 25min32.89€62.49€supra economyMore information on supra economy (new window will open)yesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 09:35 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -13:45Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon13:4518:455h 00min25.3€48.07€normalyesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 13:45 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -14:45Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon14:4519:154h 30min42.04€79.9€ yesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 14:45 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -16:45Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon16:4521:154h 30min25.3€48.07€normalyesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 16:45 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -21:45Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon21:4502:45 +1day5h 00min25.3€48.07€normalyesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 21:45 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -23:00Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon23:0003:40 +1day4h 40min25.3€48.07€normalyesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 23:00 (new window will open)
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 -Leon -23:59Madrid - Barajas Airport T4Leon23:5903:59 +1day4h 00min32.89€62.49€supra economyMore information on supra economy (new window will open)yesshowitinerary Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 - Leon - 23:59 (new window will open)
Servicio con plaza disponible para viajeros que viajan en su propia silla de ruedas

These prices do not include administrative costs (1.03 € for national tickets less than 10 €, 2.60 € for national tickets above 10 € and 1.00 € for international tickets).

These prices include 10% VAT.

WOW this is what I am looking for too! THANKS for all this information! :)

May I ask how long time you all spent on, or plan on spending to walk from Leon to Santiago? I know it's different from person to person. I'm not a fast walker and probably not too long a distance per day, as I REALLY like to enjoy every single flower etc. I'm still not sure if Leon is THE place for me to start or if I should start earlier.....I'm going on MONDAY!!! :D

Hi Ullali, last year I took 8 days to go from Leon to Santiago but I'd suggest about 13/15 days would be sensible for someone without a background in long distance hiking. It really depends on fitness levels, how much time you have and if you want to spend an extra day in any location. You'll also have options of different routes in a couple of places: leaving Villafreanca del Bierzo there are 3 options but the Dragonte option is extremely demanding, leaving Triacastela you can take the longer option to Samos or a more direct route via San Xil into Sarria. Plenty of information elsewhere on the forum on route choices and reasons people came to their's.

Buen camino

Seamus

€46,-
Thanks a bunch Seamus! Very helpful and good advice! I am mining the forum just now to see what I can find about, how 'slow the slowest' are.

I have three full weeks and want to go to the coast too AND take days off and not hurry....but it sounds like I could add some distance without any worry. ;)

Hi Ullali! I am actually starting on Sept 6 from Astorga. I had originally planned Leon, but as I have just two weeks, I felt Astorga was a better starting point. I think if you have around 17-20 days starting in Leon is perfect. It's a beautiful city, and you may want to spend an extra day there before you get started. The cathedral is a must! I do agree that leaving Leon through the industrial area is not so pleasant and would also suggest a bus past that point. But once you are back in the countryside, it's a terrific walk. Buen Camino!

WOW this is what I am looking for too! THANKS for all this information! :)

May I ask how long time you all spent on, or plan on spending to walk from Leon to Santiago? I know it's different from person to person. I'm not a fast walker and probably not too long a distance per day, as I REALLY like to enjoy every single flower etc. I'm still not sure if Leon is THE place for me to start or if I should start earlier.....I'm going on MONDAY!!! :D

I spent 17 days going from Leon to Santiago.

I got a flat tire near Rabanal ... I took two days off at Trabadelo hoping it would get better with rest ... and I walked the rest of the way with a limp ... so that slowed me up.

I was not keen to finish ... I was enjoying the trip. I was all too conscious of the peregrinos speeding on past to meet their deadlines in the real world and I was determined not to be part of that.

So I guess that means if you drag your feet it can take 17 days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ullali! I am actually starting on Sept 6 from Astorga. I had originally planned Leon, but as I have just two weeks, I felt Astorga was a better starting point. I think if you have around 17-20 days starting in Leon is perfect. It's a beautiful city, and you may want to spend an extra day there before you get started. The cathedral is a must! I do agree that leaving Leon through the industrial area is not so pleasant and would also suggest a bus past that point. But once you are back in the countryside, it's a terrific walk. Buen Camino!

Hi Rieson. Thanks a bunch! I keep changing my mind all the time, depending on what you all say and my gut feeling (which changes all the time too LOL). Not sure how this can be so difficult for me to decide. On one hand I do NOT wish to hurry, but want to have time to rest and enjoy what I see, on the other hand I'm affraid I will might get to Santiago "too early"....and I would like to walk, more than being a tourist in cities for too many days. TOUGH choices huh!? I do have 20 full walking days (and two days off) in my schedule, - so before I saw your post, I was just considering perhaps to start in Carrion de los Condes, (405km) and then not worry if I can also make it to the cost. If legs and everything is good, I might be able to....I SHALL make up my mind soon! :D

Last edited:
I spent 17 days going from Leon to Santiago.

I got a flat tire near Rabanal ... I took two days off at Trabadelo hoping it would get better with rest ... and I walked the rest of the way with a limp ... so that slowed me up.

I was not keen to finish ... I was enjoying the trip. I was all too conscious of the peregrinos speeding on past to meet their deadlines in the real world and I was determined not to be part of that.

So I guess that means if you drag your feet it can take 17 days.

Awww! I'm so sorry about your flat tire and limp there! AUGH! That sounds awful!....but this is very helpful too (I mean for me to decide from)....I think I might be able to add some distance then and hope and pray I don't get hurt like you did!....Hope you are all good again! ;)

Ullali, it is a tough decision! I think Finistarre and/or Muxia shouldn't be missed. It really does make it feel like the official "end". That said, you can always take a bus day trip to the coast. Many people do that too. So this way you can have more days walking. I spent two nights in Leon, saw the cathedral and ate well at a few restaurants before continuing on. I would have loved to start there but time isn't on my side this time around! I am sure even starting in Carrion de los Condes would leave you enough time- but you might want to start closer and spend a bit more time in Santiago. There is never arriving too early! It's an amazing place to be. The energy there is incredible! (You might just want to stay 2-3 days!) :)

€46,-
Ullali, it is a tough decision! I think Finistarre and/or Muxia shouldn't be missed. It really does make it feel like the official "end". That said, you can always take a bus day trip to the coast. Many people do that too. So this way you can have more days walking. I spent two nights in Leon, saw the cathedral and ate well at a few restaurants before continuing on. I would have loved to start there but time isn't on my side this time around! I am sure even starting in Carrion de los Condes would leave you enough time- but you might want to start closer and spend a bit more time in Santiago. There is never arriving too early! It's an amazing place to be. The energy there is incredible! (You might just want to stay 2-3 days!) :)

Thanks Rieson! Yeah I really want to end at 'the end' (the cost) as you say, if not on foot then by bus, as plan B. Good idea!

I think Carrion de los Condes is my final decision (for now LOL) for my starting point and then just see what happens and not worry about anything! Santiago is definitely a must! I'm ALL excited now and keep singing my Camino song! :)

THANKS for helping making up my mind! :D

Where did you stay in Leon? I am finding it hard to pre book.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Where did you stay in Leon? I am finding it hard to pre-book.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Awww! I'm so sorry about your flat tire and limp there! AUGH! That sounds awful!....but this is very helpful too (I mean for me to decide from)....I think I might be able to add some distance then and hope and pray I don't get hurt like you did!....Hope you are all good again! ;)
Hi Ullali, I am getting excited now too. I fly from Stansted on Tuesday 2nd September to Oviedo and then take the train to Leon. I fly back on the 18, so I only have 16 days. I think I am going to walk and have a couple of days in Santiago and then walk to Finisterre. I have to get back to Oviedo as it was much cheaper than flying back from Santiago. There will be a lot of travelling on my trip but that is part of the fun and an opportunity to meet lots of interesting people.
I might meet up with you, although I will be a little ahead of you.
Buen Camino

Just booked in the Albergue Unamuno, 3 minutes from the Cathedral in Leon. Only 10 euros. Good reviews. Clean and with hot showers. Breakfast 2 euros 50.
Buen Camino

Hi Ullali, I am getting excited now too. I fly from Stansted on Tuesday 2nd September to Oviedo and then take the train to Leon. I fly back on the 18, so I only have 16 days. I think I am going to walk and have a couple of days in Santiago and then walk to Finisterre. I have to get back to Oviedo as it was much cheaper than flying back from Santiago. There will be a lot of travelling on my trip but that is part of the fun and an opportunity to meet lots of interesting people.
I might meet up with you, although I will be a little ahead of you.
Buen Camino

I might have reached Leon by then OR even be ahead of YOU, if my legs are good? ;) I really have NO idea how fast or slow I will be, or when I will be where /there? But yeah we might just meet! :)

I didn't think Albergues let you book in advance! Sounds great! :D
VERY Buen Camino to you too!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I might have reached Leon by then OR even be ahead of YOU, if my legs are good? ;) I really have NO idea how fast or slow I will be, or when I will be where /there? But yeah we might just meet! :)

I didn't think Albergues let you book in advance! Sounds great! :D
VERY Buen Camino to you too!

Ullali, the albergues run by city and provincial authorities and by local church/ convent/ monasteries do not allow booking in advance, they are run on a 1st come basis. The privately run albergues almost all allow booking in advance by phone if you have their phone number and enough Spanish to make the call ( a bone of contention with many peregrinos ), for myself I place my trust in my namesake Santiago to provide and have yet to be disappointed in 40+ camino nights.

Relax, go with the flow and enjoy the experience

Seamus

I don't stop in albergues in Leon I always stay at a hostal. It is in the center, near the Cathedral, and on the Camino. It gives you that little bit of extra time to explore and enjoy Leon. You can find iyt on Booking.com
Hostal Restaurante Boccalino, Plaza San Isidoro, 9, 24003 León, Spain

I don't stop in albergues in Leon I always stay at a hostal. It is in the center, near the Cathedral, and on the Camino. It gives you that little bit of extra time to explore and enjoy Leon. You can find iyt on Booking.com
And here is their home page.
Buen Camino
Jochen

€46,-
Ullali, the albergues run by city and provincial authorities and by local church/ convent/ monasteries do not allow booking in advance, they are run on a 1st come basis. The privately run albergues almost all allow booking in advance by phone if you have their phone number and enough Spanish to make the call ( a bone of contention with many peregrinos ), for myself I place my trust in my namesake Santiago to provide and have yet to be disappointed in 40+ camino nights.

Relax, go with the flow and enjoy the experience

Seamus

Thanks so much Sullivan! Good advice, which I will follow and keep my options open. I do like to know where to look, at least for the first night. :)

Thanks so much Allan! Must be good if you always use it! This may be my first choice then! :)
AWESOME!!!....I am soooo ready to go, in the morning! :D

I have a strong, strong suggestion for you. Get to Leon, see the sights and bus forward to Hospital de Orbigo. I am definitely not the type that buses ahead and I did not skipped a stretch on the Camino. However, now I know better and I would 100% skipped the stretch between Leon and Hospital de Orbigo and use that time to take it much, much slower after Astorga, much specifically after O'Cebreiro.

BUEN CAMINO!!

I have a different perspective. In May 2011, a friend and I started in Leon. After two days of visiting the beautiful cathedral, San Isidoro, the Roman walls, and getting oriented to Spain, we took the bus to Virgen del Camino and walked to Villar de Mazarife, the next day to Hospital de Orbigo, and then to Astorga. On those first few short days, we got our "Camino legs." After Astorga, the terrain gets steeper, so we appreciated have done a few days of relatively easy walking to make the more challenging part of the walk easier. I wouldn't miss any one of those towns. In fact, the next year, 2012, while walking from Leon to Villar de Mazarife, I had my one and only Camino "epiphany" in which some very important pieces of my life fell neatly into place and the answer to a question I had been struggling with for several years was answered in a very mystical and magical way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Leon is my favourite city on the Camino and I would not want to miss it. So I agree with Al, take the time to wander the streets of the old town, and do not miss the Cathedral and the Basilica de San Isodoro.

I have a different perspective. In May 2011, a friend and I started in Leon. After two days of visiting the beautiful cathedral, San Isidoro, the Roman walls, and getting oriented to Spain, we took the bus to Virgen del Camino and walked to Villar de Mazarife, the next day to Hospital de Orbigo, and then to Astorga. On those first few short days, we got our "Camino legs." After Astorga, the terrain gets steeper, so we appreciated have done a few days of relatively easy walking to make the more challenging part of the walk easier. I wouldn't miss any one of those towns. In fact, the next year, 2012, while walking from Leon to Villar de Mazarife, I had my one and only Camino "epiphany" in which some very important pieces of my life fell neatly into place and the answer to a question I had been struggling with for several years was answered in a very mystical and magical way.
Well, then good thing you didn't start from SJPDP!! ;) I loved Villar de Mazarife, Hospital De Orbigo, and Astorga as well and actually have walked both routes after Virgen del Camino. Hence, the advice to skip the stretch Leon- Hospital to allow a much slower pace after Hospital. Again, glad I did not skipped a stretch, but more glad that because of that I can advise from experience if anybody has to.

Hi guys

Did exact hike in May, 2014. Took train from Santiago to Leon and hiked back. Stayed in the Benedictine Convent albergue and began my hike the next morning. Did not book ahead until Sarria and did not need to (I was always on the trail by 7:30 and at my albergue by early afternoon). As I neared Sarria, I usually used my cellphone and a Booking.com app to reserve a bed in a private albergue. Seventeen days on the trail and did not have a single problem finding a bed.

Well, then good thing you didn't start from SJPDP!! ;) I loved Villar de Mazarife, Hospital De Orbigo, and Astorga as well and actually have walked both routes after Virgen del Camino. Hence, the advice to skip the stretch Leon- Hospital to allow a much slower pace after Hospital. Again, glad I did not skipped a stretch, but more glad that because of that I can advise from experience if anybody has to.

Hi Olivares and Marylynn,
I'm arriving in leon with my husband at 12.30pm on Wednesday and we're hoping to start walking right away as we ended in Leon on our first camino do have seen the sights. We are planning to take the bus part of the way to Manzarife or Hospital de Orbigo but not sure about how many hostels are in the route. We don't want to overdo the walking on the first day in the midday heat. Do you know if the bus goes beyond Virgen del camino? Or are there hostels between there and either Manzarife or Hospital.

Do you know if the bus goes beyond Virgen del camino? Or are there hostels between there and either Manzarife or Hospital.
The city bus goes only to La Virgen.

There is a bus that goes through Villadangos del Paramo to Hospital and Astorga.

I do not think there is a bus through Villar de Mazarife.

There are no albergues between La Virgen and Villadangos or Mazarife.

There are albergues after Villadango and Mazarife, but before Hospital.

The city bus goes only to La Virgen.

There is a bus that goes through Villadangos del Paramo to Hospital and Astorga.

I do not think there is a bus through Villar de Mazarife.

There are no albergues between La Virgen and Villadangos or Mazarife.

There are albergues after Villadango and Mazarife, but before Hospital.
Thank you Falcon. That's very helpful and will enable us to make clearer plans :)

€83,-
The bus itinerary along this section is limited to either early hours in the morning and not every day of the week. So, it is spotty at best. You can walk to Villar de Mazarife, get to the Albergue Tio Pepe across from the church and they can call you a taxi that can take you to either Villadangos or HospitalDe Orbigo. It will not be cheap (i.e. >20 Euros). So, my advice would be to take the bus to Virgen del Camino. Take the route to Villar de Mazarife, which is very pretty on the countryside (agree with Marilyn that there is something very special about this section that invites to deep meditation). Stay in Villar. Next day early start to Hospital de Orbigo. Buen Camino!

The bus itinerary along this section is limited to either early hours in the morning and not every day of the week. So, it is spotty at best. You can walk to Villar de Mazarife, get to the Albergue Tio Pepe across from the church and they can call you a taxi that can take you to either Villadangos or HospitalDe Orbigo. It will not be cheap (i.e. >20 Euros). So, my advice would be to take the bus to Virgen del Camino. Take the route to Villar de Mazarife, which is very pretty on the countryside (agree with Marilyn that there is something very special about this section that invites to deep meditation). Stay in Villar. Next day early start to Hospital de Orbigo. Buen Camino!

Excellent advice. Spend a day exploring Leon, especially the Cathedral and San Isidoro. We were able to stay in the Convent two nights. Then take the bus to Virgen del Camino and walk the gentle 15k to Villar. Tio Pepe's is a warm and welcoming restaurant/bar/albergue and is a wonderful beginning to your Camino. Then enjoy the beautiful doors and their hardware of Hospital de Orbigo.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back