• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago

Janw

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 I hope
I am hoping to walk tbis se tion in 2015 but I am walking alone. I am a bit unsure of doing it online. Any ideas

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Jan
I did that section on my own two years ago. And I think the only time I felt 'alone' was my first night in Leon... because after that I met so many different people along the way, though most days I tended to walk alone. Starting from Leon is pretty good as there is the chance of a day or two of easier walking to get warmed up before heading up into mountains.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started in Leon this pass September. My only regret about my camino was that I did not spend more time in this city. I would have loved exploring the Cathedral. I promised myself that next time I will sleep in Leon instead of Virgen del Camino.

Spend a day exploring Leon. DO NOT MISS IT. Then, hop on a bus/train and start walking from Hospital de Orbigo. I did not skipped a section on the Camino, but knowing what I know now, if I was to start from Leon, I would instead use the time to explore this amazing city and jump the section btwn Leon-Orbigo. You will still have plenty pilgrimage walking ahead of you, but the cultural richness of Leon will stay with you forever.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am hoping to walk tbis se tion in 2015 but I am walking alone. I am a bit unsure of doing it online. Any ideas
You will not be "alone" on the Camino unless you choose to be alone, and even then there will be other pilgrims around you. They will be ahead of you, beside you, behind you, passing you as you walk, or you will be passing them as you walk. Unless you travel during the low seasons, someone will always be in sight. Depending on how you arrive in Leon, you will probably meet other pilgrims on the bus or train, and you will meet them at the albergue where you sleep the first night, or where you stop for your first meal or snack. A friendly "Buen Camino" breaks the ice and starts not only a conversation, but perhaps a friendship.
Buen Camino,
Jim

We started in Leon as well - this past June. We had plenty of company from the get-go. It was my husband and I walking together, but we met a lot of people very quickly. We arrived in Leon in the afternoon and checked into our hotel - we got a good rate for the Parador, so decided we would start our Camino in style :) We went to the hotel bar on the terrace for a beer and found some pilgrims there, started talking, and were invited to join them for dinner.

Our first day of walking, we walked by ourselves, but were pretty much always within sight of others. That night at dinner we shared a table with some people at the albergue where we stayed and ended up walking with them the next day. We didn't plan that, but we caught up with them at a stop for coffee en route and started talking, then continued the conversation as we started walking again. We stayed that night in the same albergue as these people and hung out some more. We met some new people at that albergue and then ran into some of the same people from the dinner in Leon 2 nights earlier. So after only 2 days of walking, we maybe 10 new acquaintances.

Overall, we found people very open and welcoming. You should be able to make friends quickly and have people to walk with and hang with in the evenings if you want to.

I agree with the others: you will never be alone on this Camino. And yes, spend a day in Leon. Visit the bario humedo, but also the area to the left of the Cathedral (if you are facing it). And get the audio for the cathedral tour - it explains the amazing feats of its quick construction (125 years, which explains why it is so simple in comparison to others) and restauration. Look at the Gaudi building, visit the area to the left of the cathedral (when facing it) - has a lovely park and other beautiful buildings. The albergue (Carbajales) is a very old school typical "religious" albergue. Boys to one side, girls to the other, beds very close together and always people on the floor. Next door there is now a hotel called Hosteleria Monastica Pax which is just beautiful and inexpensive if you prefer a quieter night sleep for the first night. Run by the nuns.

Interesting that someone would mention bussing all the way to Hospital de Obrigo. I took the bus to Virgen del Camino, and yes, that day of walking to San Martin is quite drab, walking along the highway for most of it (although there is a longer route which apparently is much nicer). And there is nothing, nothing, nothing in San Martin, so I can see why someone would suggested starting your Camino in Hospital.

A little story about Leon, and Hospital de Obrigo in particular: my feet were killing me, I could hardly put a foot in front of the other after walking 2km (turns out I have flat feet and needed orthodics). When I finally made it to Hospital from San Martin I walked in the first bar I saw to take off my boots and put in my Crocs flipflops (walked in them with great success and in great comfort until getting to Astorga where I bought hicking sandals with a great arch). I asked for a cafe on leche and started unpacking and looking after my feet. The lady behind the counter brings me a slice of toasted bread with egg. I thank her profusely, thinking she had taken pity on me. So, not wanting to be an ungreatful pilgrim, I order a second cafe con leche. She brings me antother little something to eat. Clearly it was time to leave or this would have gone on all day and I would have beeing on quite the caffeein rush!

I told people this story at night and got quite the laughs: it's tradition in Leon to always bring people who order a drink a bit to eat: that's the original tapa you see! Still one of my favourite Camino memories.

Good only on the walk - and don't worry, you will always have people near and arround you, always helpful people should you need them. There is a lovely fraternity on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When do you plan to walk? It is a very different experience in summer than in the early months of spring, for example.
In the peak season (June to August, but it seems is getting broader) this section will be quite crowded. Your only problem will be getting a bit of solitude, if you are so inclined.
Winter may be tough -requires careful preparation.
See available online guides about the two variants after Virgen del Camino (that is, when leaving León).
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back