• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago

davlog0326

I am making my first pilgrimage from Leon to Santiago in mid-late October. I plan to walk 30 km/day. Does this seem like a reasonable distance for a first-timer? I am flying into Madrid and taking the train to Leon. The train gets in late so would I be able to get a bed in a refugio or should I consider a hotel that night?

I am very excited about this :D . I don't want to race from town to town just to get a bed but plan to enjoy the experience.

Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unless there is a special reason to take the train you might want to consider the bus. They depart almost hourly and take 3.5 hours, more than an hour less than the train.

30 km a day is a reasonable distance for a first timer if you are in good shape and have your boots well broken in. I considered myself to be in good shape, and I found that I got horrible blisters and tendentis after walking an average of 28 or 30 km a day (after about a week). Competely depends on how accustomed you are to long distance hiking with a pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The autobus estacion sur is at the Mendez Alvaro metro stop, near the Atocha train station. It takes about 45 min. on the metro from the airport. You have to make a couple of changes but they are easy and you can get the details at the metro information desk at the airport.

Coming from Sydney Australia I have had 2nd thoughts about the length of my walk. Originally I was thinking Ponferrada to Santangio but now would hate to do a diservice to myself and the camino. Can any one tell me how many kms it is Leon to Santiago and how long do you think that would take? I would not possibly be doing 30km a day but somewhere around 20km would suit me.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mary,

Leon-Santiagio is about 320 km so 15-16 days must be possible but add 1 or 2 days for a resting-day or when you are too tired to do the 20-30 km a day.
Take a look at http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances for the distances.
You can create your own stage-plan there in an Excel-file. Very usefull !

Buen Camino!
Paul

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I have decided to change my route a little. I will be starting in Astorga and have decreased my mileage to approximately 20 km per day except for a couple longer days toward the end. I am not an experienced backpacker so decreasing the mileage seemed a better situation while I could still enjoy the Camino. I arrive in Madrid on the Oct 14th and will take the bus to Astorga. I start on the 15th and arrive in Santiago on the 24th. I am going to spend the 25th in Santiago and the 26th in Madrid. I hope to meet you on the Way. I leave in 16 days :D .

Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I finally made it back to the States last night. I spent 10 days on the Camino with the most amazing people (other pilgrims know what I mean). My little group made it to Santiago on Wed Oct 24 and I spent the 25th seeing the city and parks. After 10 days of walking, the rest day was well needed. Having meet so many wonderful people on the Camino, I know I will return, however, starting in St. Jean next time. The experience is hard to describe and I wish all the future pilgrims the same experience I had. Thanks to all who shared their experiences and advice on this forum and to all my friends that I meet on the Way.

Buen Camino,

Dave

Welcome back 'home' to the forum Dave. You might physically be back in the States but your soul will transport you back along the camino paths in your thoughts and dreams. I think it must be close to Astral Travelling because sometimes it seems so real! I have been back three weeks and am still dreaming camino dreams.
Here is a photo to warm your heart - the view over Molinaseca in the morning.

Attachments

• View of Molinaseca.jpg
    View of Molinaseca.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4,685
Something that struck us when we descended from the highest point (after Manajarin) to el Acebo was the change in building materials. Until then, nearly all buildings had red shingle roofs and from Manjarin they suddenly changed to black/grey slate roofs. Even the paths change from rocky to slate. The area reminded us of parts of the Lake District in England - there is a slate factory at the Honnister Pass.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back