• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leon to Santiago

Unweekends

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be in Europe for 90 days. Originally I wanted to have 5-6 weeks to walk the entire Camino Francis (which I still may do). But should I fall behind schedule with my other touring (other parts of France/Spain) how would just walking from Leon to Santiago? I know I can, I'm asking how much of the Camino I would be missing out on if I end of skipping the first half? Which part of the Camino Francis are "don't wanna miss" parts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally all parts of the Frances are 'want to miss' parts these days but that's just because I'm a grumpy old sod. So, what do you want out of Camino? Nice walk? History? Party?
If your available time is limited start wherever you can to walk into Santiago in your available time. The 'original', the 'Primitivo', Camino starts (started) in Oviedo. Lots of Spaniards start at Roncevalles or Pamplona. Lots of Peregrinos start in Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada or Sarria depending on their time available and their inclinations.

As it hasn't been quoted lately I'll slip this one in: "God does not count your steps, nor Santiago weigh your pack. Look to your heart pilgrim..."

Hi Unweekends, welcome to the forum.

Whatever you decide, you will always miss something. Why not start with walking the Camino somewhere in France and see what it brings you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leon to Santiago is certainly doable in two weeks if that's what you've got. But St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos is also doable in a couple weeks. You don't need to finish in Santiago to have a great experience. In fact, some might argue that folks could have a better experience if the focus weren't on earning the Compostela.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In my opinion, by starting in Leon you would miss something physically amazing everyday, eg. crossing the Pyrenees, Pamplona, Alto del Perdon, a beautiful little town at Puente Reina, the Irache wine fountain, Logrono is beautiful, San Anton, Castrojeriz, Alto de Mostelare. Depending on what you want out of your European trip, I would prefer to see the Camino part of Spain rather than cities such as Barcelona and Madrid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved Leon to Santiago, but then again, I loved every part of the Camino, and I'm glad I didnt have to choose what to leave out.
Even parts like the Meseta, which for some reason gets a bad rap, are a delight, and I would be unable to tell someone where 'not' to walk, it was all so wonderful, and changes along the Way as you head to Santiago.
I guess it depends if you would return to complete the journey, or getting the Compostela this time is important for you.

The advantage to doing the first half first (SJPdP to Burgos +/-) , is that you can preserve your credencial, return another year, and start where you left off. When you eventually make it to Santiago, it all counts towards your Compostela, if that is a desired result. Many people do this.

The eligibility requirement for the Compostela is that you MUST walk the FINAL 100 Km of any Camino route that ends at Santiago. So, you can take several years to accomplish the entire Camino Frances and still end up with a Compostela...just sayin...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Commencing our first Camino Leon to Santiago June 23 planning to arrive in SdC July 9 with 2 nights in Villafranca and Portomarin. Certainly not rushing, wanting to absorb every facet of the experience. As in a lot of cases time restraints determined our choice with the hope of completing another time.

@Unweekends , greeting

I am with those that suggest start (much) further east and take as many years as you need to arrive at Santiago de Compostella.

The accomodation etc infrastucture in France from Le Puy-en-velay to Saint-Jean-pied-de-port rivals that of the route across Spain from Saint-Jean.

It is a practice of many of the French, Swiss and Germans that I met on that route to take a week or a fortnight's annual leave and return next year to where they stopped this year, taking about four weeks (over two to four years) to complete the French legs.

And if you have your heart set on arrival at Santiago de Compostela this year and you have 14 days for the adventure, then starting at Leon is a good choice and should give you a few days to see the city and cathedral. Subject, of course, to you having an appropriate stamina to walk between 20 and 30 km each day.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Leon to Santiago is certainly doable in two weeks if that's what you've got. But St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos is also doable in a couple weeks. You don't need to finish in Santiago to have a great experience. In fact, some might argue that folks could have a better experience if the focus weren't on earning the Compostela.
I have the same debate and chose to start at SJPP and just let the journey take me as far as it can. I want to spend time doing what the Camino brings, and against my nature, not be too rigid with having to get somewhere other than Madrid two days before my departure back home... exciting!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back