• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LePuy Stopover Places

Eagle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Franceis '07, Camino Portugues '10, Camino Franceis Sept '12
I am beginning the Chemin LePuy on 09 Sept 15. I have done Camino Frances a number of times. On the CF there are traditional cities that people take layover days. Many pilgrims speed an extra down day in Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon. I am sooo not a planner, but the French seem to insist on reservations. I would like to know if there are traditional places to speed an extra day on the LePuy route. Merci

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't say there are traditional places to spend an extra day, but I would recommend either Figeac, Cahors or Moissac. All these towns have a lot for you to see and enjoy. I had a great day in Moissac on my Chemin and a friend had a lovely time in Cahors.

Hi, Le Puy itself is worth spending a day. The other towns, apart from Moissac, are all quite small, so easy to see in an afternoon. Incidentally, I walked from Le Puy to St Jean in May/June last year (peak season), and other than the first night, I never reserved ahead. I only had to sleep out one night :eek: (there were 4 of us), and it was the best and most memorable night of the whole trip :cool: Jill

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No need to reserve more than 24 hrs in advance. I am by nature a planner and quickly learned to let go. The 3 places suggested above are the ones I'd pick. They are not places you would spend a day in if you were touring France by car, but if rest is called for, they are the places with the most distractions.

I took a rest day in Cahors because the weather was much hotter than I like. Not hard to fill the day exploring the old quarter, the market, and the cathedral; write postcards; search out the hidden gardens. I would have stayed wherever I was that day because of the weather, and not reserving allows you to do that.

Another time I took a short day because of heavy rain and walked just from Condom to Montreal sur Gers. Montreal is not a place I'd ever suggest spending a lot of time in, but lunch under the arcade on the town square was just what we drenched souls needed, so it became a half day of hiking and a day to "chill".

A day off in Figeac allows you to visit Rocamadour by train. An easy round trip. Highly recommended.

Moissac? I once visited by train (30 years ago before I learned to walk) and missed the train I planned to take back to Toulouse. Waiting for the next train, I was forced to stroll along the canal and read, watch local kids come home from school, search out an ice cream. The nicer parts of Moissac are not those you trudge through on the chemin.

La Chapelle near Miradoux is worth the trip. You may be able to get your host to drive you there. It will take a couple of hours of walking each direction. It is said that the Chemin used to go right by it.

I stayed two nights in Conques. Sure, it isn't very big, but I loved taking time to wander up and down all the little streets and see the houses. Next day it was very hot, and I enjoyed some quiet time in the cool of the Abbey.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would second Margaret's suggestion of Conques if you are looking for a town. It is also really nice to work in a rest by just taking a very short day's walk - 10k or so - and then spending most of a day in one of the smaller villages where there is a good gîte. Lauzerte, Montcuq, La Romieu would be good choices. If you arrive before the gîte opens, you can just leave your pack by the door or in a hallway and then go into the village for a leisurely lunch. And then a whole afternoon free to read, nap, go for a stroll, visit.

It is also really nice to work in a rest by just taking a very short day's walk - 10k or so - and then spending most of a day in one of the smaller villages where there is a good gîte. Lauzerte, Montcuq, La Romieu would be good choices.
I had forgotten about La Romieu, which is a 'detour' not taken by all. I loved it there! Loved looking out for all the 'cat' sculptures. We never found them all... might have to go back! And loved the beautiful roses blooming all around the town.
Margaret

Ah, Le Romieu - beautiful cloisters.

We spent a few days very happily in Moissac, waiting for some friends. On one day we walked along the canal du Midi to Castelsarrasin, for its huge marketday - the largest farmers market I've seen. Great fun and I bought some terrific hiking pants very cheaply.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A rest day every week is a good plan. Fortunately the French have spaced out there stopover towns at weekly intervals.

Agree with all the above suggestions, and I'd add Espalion. Quite buzzy and shoppy (is that a word?) after the plateau. A flat stroll to the Romanesque church of St. Hilarion-de-Perse will give you a foretaste of Conques; and those bridges over the Lot are worth a ramble.

Bon chemin a tous

Rob

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back