• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LePuy to SJPdP-food & lodgings

Trumps

Time of past OR future Camino
We are starting our walk from SJPdP on June 30, 2016.
We are planning a return trip to Europe next summer to walk more of the Camino. In 2016 we rec’d our Compostela having walked from SJPdP. Next year we would like to walk from LePuy to St. Jean. Having done a bit of research already I’m getting the sense that places to eat and stay are less abundant and farther apart than on the Camino Frances. Two questions; is there a reliable English guide for this section and for those who have walked this stretch, what are average days like in terms of km’s walked?
All answers are greatly appreciated!
Buen Camino!
Pete

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The most up to date and active resource group I've found is the Facebook group Way of St James- Via Podiensis.

I’m getting the sense that places to eat and stay are less abundant and farther apart than on the Camino Frances.
Yes, but there is sufficient. End points each day are about the same length, just fewer intermediate options for a bed. You will want to carry your midday meal in many instances. The Raju guide with turn by turn instructions is pretty good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, but there is sufficient. End points each day are about the same length, just fewer intermediate options for a bed. You will want to carry your midday meal in many instances. The Raju guide with turn by turn instructions is pretty good.
Thanks for that. I will track it down.

We are planning a return trip to Europe next summer to walk more of the Camino. In 2016 we rec’d our Compostela having walked from SJPdP. Next year we would like to walk from LePuy to St. Jean. Having done a bit of research already I’m getting the sense that places to eat and stay are less abundant and farther apart than on the Camino Frances. Two questions; is there a reliable English guide for this section and for those who have walked this stretch, what are average days like in terms of km’s walked?
All answers are greatly appreciated!
Buen Camino!
Pete

https://gr65viapodiensis.wordpress....du-puyvia-podiensis-whats-the-best-guidebook/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/2067174010/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1852848766/?tag=casaivar02-20

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for these links. Great information!

next summer
Be aware that most of France - including many gite owners - go on vacation in August. The vacation period begins with Bastille Day and runs to 1 Sept when school reopens. So in addition to your English-language resources, do get a copy of Miam Miam Dodo and check the open/close dates, then be sure you are calling ahead (or emailing) for reservations, just to make sure doors will be open.

We are currently on the Via Podiensis, at Lauzerte tonight. We have stayed in wonderful gites and the food has been exceptional. We started off from Le Puy walking 16km and built from there. Currently doing about 22 to 26k/day. There are plenty of gites. We are using the Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis by Angelynn Meya. It is in english. 2nd edition published in jan 2017. I don't know if there is a more recent one. We also have the Miam Miam DoDo which has a few more accommodation options. Mostly we pick up a ham/cheese/salad baguette for lunch and some fruit. Most shops/cafes are closed sundays and mondays but we have still found the occasional one open and sometimes people have set up a cafe in their gardens. Bon Chemin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I usually walk a bit more than the regular stopping points, averaging about 20-24 miles per day on the Camino from SJPP to Santiago. Last Fall I walked from Le Puy to Conques, and could not keep that pace. There were more hills (up and down, and up and down, and up), and even if I did add 5 or so more miles, I would come to a place where I could either walk 8 to the next gite, or 30. So... I slowed down. :) Also, I found that some of gites pulled me into tourist world and off the pilgrim track. But I found my way back. Bon Chemin.

@Trumps , kia ora (good health)

The guides I used included:

1) Confranternity of Saint James (UK)
.....Pilgrim Guides # 3 Le Puty to the Pyrenees (2006)
.....Alison Raju
.....For my way of doing things I found this unhelpful

2) Cicerone
.....The way of St James (2010)
.....Alison Raju
.....A better publication, but not helpful for me,

For both these I benefitted by having scanned them before leaving.

3) Miam Miam Dodo (en Francais)
.....Saint Jacques de Compostelle (2015)
The princiapl use for me was the detailed topo map on one page and facing it a detailed list of accomodation shown on the map

4) FFRandonnee (en Francais)
.....Topo Guides - 3 publications for the GR 65 (2012)
.....A detailed topo map with description of each stage

I scanned 3) and 4) (for my own use only) and put them on my tablet. In the event I seldom referred to them en route.

5) Michelin
.....161 Chemins de Compostelle (six languages)
.....Le Puy --> Saint-Jean
.....A "cross section" map with distances and elevations and
.....a short list of accompdation on one page.
.....On the facing page a detailed topo map for the same stage
.....with a "thumbnail" map in one corner showing progress.

I discovered the Michelin guide on day four and kept it in my front pouch at all times for easy access.

I had no trouble with accomodation in April 2016, using the municipal or parochial gite as first choice, where they existed.

The Michelin guide has 32 stages for 750 km or an average of just under 25 km per day, with several stages between 15 and 20 km and some stages over 30 km. I took 26 days including two lay days and about 1 days worth of car rides. I was then 74 and had developed a reasonable stamina in the preceding four years.

I hope I have answered your two questions.

PS: I expect to walk from Canterbury to Amiens this September. After two years of walking from Le Puy my preparation is a lot simpler, even though I will be camping on a number of days - I'll just takes days as they come. It'll be interesting to see how things actually do turn out.

Kia Kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.