• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

L'Esprit Du Chemin is Full!

maxthegirl

I checked their calendar for mid-September. And I really want to stay there. Are there other amazing places to stay the night prior to the start? I was so hoping to get that classic sendoff. Also, is it really bad behavior to not plan out how many km's a day and where to stay all along? I kind of want to just have my pack planned, but nothing else. Has anyone else done that? And can I get an Altus in SJPTP? Or is that something I really should plan in advance?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
maxthegirl said:
I checked their calendar for mid-September. And I really want to stay there. Are there other amazing places to stay the night prior to the start? I was so hoping to get that classic sendoff.
The entire street in SJPP where the Pilgrim's Office is located has numerous lodgings catering to pilgrims ... easily 6 or 8 and likely more. In the middle of September, with its lower numbers, finding a bed should be easy.
maxthegirl said:
Also, is it really bad behavior to not plan out how many km's a day and where to stay all along? I kind of want to just have my pack planned, but nothing else. Has anyone else done that?
My impression is that most do not make a detailed plan and then execute it without any revision. Instead, most have a hazy general idea, and then revise according to the weather, their health, the friends they meet along the way, and the interesting sites they want to spend more time exploring.
maxthegirl said:
And can I get an Altus in SJPTP? Or is that something I really should plan in advance?
As I understand it, you can get an Altus, but likely not the one you're looking for, as the new model is the victim of some unfortunate quality degradations. However, you can get a very good Ferino Trekker from Amazon.com; it is virtually identical to the older, better Altus.

Try Azkorria, it is superb, just opposite pilgrim office and up the road a bit, Gitti

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there

I started out like you, just wanting to walk what I felt like each day, stopping when I was tired. Instead I met a great family who I adjusted my walking to hang out with, they were so much fun.

If you really want to wing it, you can. At the start of each village is a big sign that tells you of the amenities available in that village - albergues, bars, water foutains etc. What I didn't know until halfway through the walk was that on the BACK of that sign is information about how much further it is to the next village and what's available there. This really is as much as you need to know - the only thing you'd miss out on is how much elevation you might have to climb to make that distance - ie how difficult it's going to be to walk it.

Hope this helps... Enjoy - it's an amazing ride!!!
:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
JillM said:
Hi there

I started out like you, just wanting to walk what I felt like each day, stopping when I was tired. Instead I met a great family who I adjusted my walking to hang out with, they were so much fun.

If you really want to wing it, you can. At the start of each village is a big sign that tells you of the amenities available in that village - albergues, bars, water foutains etc. What I didn't know until halfway through the walk was that on the BACK of that sign is information about how much further it is to the next village and what's available there. This really is as much as you need to know - the only thing you'd miss out on is how much elevation you might have to climb to make that distance - ie how difficult it's going to be to walk it.

Hope this helps... Enjoy - it's an amazing ride!!!
:)

Amazing....I have never noticed these signs :?:

Hi Maxthegirl,
I got my plane tickets to Paris, train tickets to SJPdP, a reservation at Orrison, yet somehow missed that I should book the night before I begin hiking at l'Esprit Du Chemin. I have checked back on their website several times to see if someone has cancelled, but no luck. Looking through the lists of other lodgings, nothing sounded quite as right...with the good food and all, though I am sure there must be many a good meal to have in St. Jean. (Thanks Gitti for the recommendation of Azkorria for lodging.)

Also, after deciding on the Altus, I went back one more time to read about them before I ordered and discovered the inferior quality of the new model, so I ordered a Ferino Trekker from Amazon. It came quickly and looks great. I am at the point now...just over a week before I leave, where I have to stop worrying about what equipment I don't have... if what I have will be good enough, etc., etc., etc.

Good to know about the signs too. What more could we ask for?

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Once again I'm ever so grateful for the attuned assistance! You guys are all wonderful beings! Kate, that's so exciting that you're leaving so soon! I will follow suit and order the Ferrino. Thank you Gitti for answering so many questions! (I have been reading many many posts and you seem to chirp in a lot with lots of really valuable tips!) Buen Camino to you all. This is certainly a voyage that attracts beautiful people.

Maxthegirl,

I got the Ferrino Trekker in a sm/med. I just check with Amazon and it does look like they are out of stock. Did you check other online sources? I still haven't booked a place in SJPdP. The Azkarria had booked their last space for my my arrival date 10 hours prior....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can order the Ferrino from Le Poisson Roy in Navarrenx, email is: lepoissonroy@9business.fr and pay by credit card, they will post. Ordered mine on 10.8. and it arrived on 20.8. in Auckland New Zealand.

Stayed in Azkorria recently. It is very clean and is also new. You can eat dinner there as well.
Sharon

FYI,

I must have the newer Altus poncho as it is only about 4mos old. Just took a walk a 3 hour walk in a torrential rain storm.. (3 inches in a 24 hr period.) I and my pack were completely dry!

€83,-
Hi there
Just wondering if someone who has the new Ferrino Trekker could tell me which would be the best size for a 172 cm/60 kg female.
I have quite long legs and would prefer to get the most coverage lengthwise, but am wondering if i would be swamped by the large size?
thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jenny, I think you would drown in the large Trekker, the small/medium is extremely generous, length wise I am pretty sure it will be good too, Gitti

Ferrino Trekker Small/Medium size fits me I am 160 cm tall and weigh 60 kg, it would fit me if I weighed 80 kg as it is very roomy. It would also fit me if I were 170 cm tall. The large is for the big guys, hope this helps, Gitti

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back