• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Less Crowded Early September?

NTtravela

Hi again ... I am reading of these incredible numbers of pilgrims currently on the camino - wow, it sounds very busy!

I don't understand much about the holy year I'm sorry - have tried to read as many posts as possible. My questions are - should the numbers decrease as the summer months pass or is it expected to be crowded until the end of the year?

We are walking the last part for a week or so, and starting around Sept 1st. Is it likely to have calmed down a bit at that stage? (she asks hopefully... !)

Cheers ... Leanne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

I am very interested in the responses for your question as we are planning to walk the camino from Sept 4 to Oct. 4th. Maybe we will run into each other. We are coming from Vancouver, Canada.
Older couple 61 and 65. Looking so forward to it!!

I am also walking in September - starting SJDP on 8th. Hope it has calmed down a bit. If you look on 'Pilgrims to Santiago' website, their statistics show that out of 28,000 pilrims arriving in Santiago in May less than 10% stated in SJDP, more than 20% started in Sarria.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, In 2005 and 2007 I arrived in SDC around the 6th October, having started from the Pyrennees at the beginning of September. Last year I joined the CaminoFrances at Melide on the 26th Sept, and on each occasion there were still plenty of pilgrims around. I would imagine that this year there will be even more and, although I was never short of a bed, it wasn't a holy year, and I can imagine that there will be still plenty of people around at the times you are talking about this year. I think that ideally the best time, in terms of crowds, would be heading towards late September. This would mean that there is likely to be a little less of a crowd, but the albergues would still be open as you finish. Of course - you would need to weigh this up with the fact that the weather by then would be getting quite cool, and, most likely, very wet in Galicia! You will avoid some crowds if you are able to start at a time other than on a weekend, and perhaps if you are with a crowd just halve your days walk and let them get ahead. cheers, Janet

Good Luck, Canuck. (Naniacamino)
The number of pilgrims will decrease in September but the Camino Frances will still be relatively crowded. Those starting in September from SJPP or Pamplona will have fewer pilgrims with them on any particular day.

I wish you well.
David, Victoria, Canada

Thanks everyone - I wish you all well on your treks as well. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to do the whole CF like some of you lucky ones ... next time!

I guess I can expect the crowds to still be there from Sarria onwards in that first week of September. I don't really want to book accomm ahead (which I had originally planned to do), so will wing it and hope for the best.

Another 'first timer' question (I'm sure this has been answered before) but do the albergues etc open at a certain time? Is there a 'best time' to finish our walk for the day and ensure best chances of getting a bed?

thanks again
Leanne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I seem to remember reading last year, on the forum and in people's blogs, that there was a real surge of people starting out from SJPP in the first week or so of September. It is hard to know if the same will happen this year, but if you want to avoid the rush from SJPP, you might want to delay departure until maybe the second week of September if you can.
Margaret

NANINACAMINO said:
Hi,

I am very interested in the responses for your question as we are planning to walk the camino from Sept 4 to Oct. 4th. Maybe we will run into each other. We are coming from Vancouver, Canada.
Older couple 61 and 65. Looking so forward to it!!

Hello Canada Couple! I too am from Canada! Planning on walking beginning of Sept. I live in NS,and am having a heck of a time trying to get flights. Where are you flying into? Hope we'll meet up on the trail. Blessings Nancy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don't understand much about the holy year I'm sorry - have tried to read as many posts as possible. Hello Leanne. I just wanted to fill you in as to what is this Holy Year! When you enter the Confraternity site and before going to the Forum, check under the red box About and under it you will see Pilgrimage to Santiago. Click here and scroll down to Holy Years (3rd from end of list) and click. There you will find a brief description. If you are still curious for more information, try Wikipidia!
One of the problems is that the next Holy Year will be in 11 years time, so many who consider themselves eligible to receive a Plenary Indulgence are going to Santiago this year. Not all are walking pilgrims, hoards are arriving on bus tours too! Considering that the Camino is a Pilgrimage, going back to the middle ages, a great many people walk the Way for religious and/or spiritual reasons. The Camino has also received an enormous amount of publicity over the past few years and each year, Holy Year or not, the numbers increase. This year, according to the number of Compostellas handed out to date at the Pilgrim's Office are way above anything before. This all leads to consider that during the traditional months of July and August, when many take their annual holidays, the numbers will increase greatly. I personally think that these numbers will flow over into September! I have walked the Francés twice but never during this period. Last year we started in Roncevalles mid September. There was no room in the albergue Roncevalles and neither on the second night in Zúbiri - this was in the middle of the week (not at the weekend when crowds are worse) After that, we managed to find room in an albergue every night until Melide. The crowds even then, after mid-October became worse (it's the traditional last 100 kms), so I can't immagine how it will be this year! Anne

I began the first week of September last year and there were many, many pilgrims. They were seeing record numbers for September. For the first two weeks there was a rush for alberque beds. If you didn't stop by 1 p.m. you probably didn't get a bed--at least in a non-private alberque. It almost got scary sometimes as I took the last bed!

Gee guys, I'm getting a bit worried now. Maybe I should go back to my original plan of booking ahead. I just thought it would be nice to wing it and be free to walk as far as we feel each day.

I'll start researching places I can book ahead and will be back with more questions... thanks so much for your feedback.

Leanne

NTtravela said:
Gee guys, I'm getting a bit worried now. Maybe I should go back to my original plan of booking ahead. I just thought it would be nice to wing it and be free to walk as far as we feel each day.

I'll start researching places I can book ahead and will be back with more questions... thanks so much for your feedback.

Leanne

the weather is great during september and october, Galica is always wet, but i had very beautiful day during sep and oct...last year i walked from porto to finisterra in late november, and yes, i had rain, but also very, beautiful days, and so much of the camino to myself...enjoy your camino...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
starting the camino on sept 5 from sjpp. anyone else?

We are planning to head out from SJPD around 12 September, but reading these posts makes me think I should perhaps include a sleeping mat - just trying hard to keep my weight down to a minimum.

Jane

Hi Mosesmew,

Re: your inquiry as to flight tickets to the camino. We are using our aeroplan points and are flying to Paris and returning from Madrid. Booked our flights before the Hst tax comes into effect. (July 1st). Isnt this a great forum? I am getting so much information that I am sure we will be very prepared.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jane, don´t buy a sleeping mat and bring it. Wait and see when you get here what conditions are like, and only buy the mat when and if you find you need one. Usually every albergue has at least a couple of those left behind by someone else, which will save you buying one and hauling it around needlessly.
We have six, and we are not an albergue!

Reb.

We are an Irish couple flying to Santander on the 2nd September. Hope to make our way to St Jean Pied de Port and start from there on the third. Any suggestions re getting from Santander to SJPP welcome. Also where to stay in SJPP. Reading at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Wish you all well,
B

We are an Irish couple flying to Santander on the 2nd September. Hope to make our way to St Jean Pied de Port and start from there on the third. Any suggestions re getting from Santander to SJPP welcome. Also where to stay in SJPP. Reading at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Wish you all well,
B

Getting from Santander to St. Jean Pied de Port. Probably the easiest way is to go by train to Irun and Hendaye and from there to Bayonne where there is a train or bus service for St. Jean. Try http://www.renfe.com to find timetables and fares.There is a nice gite in St. Jean, L'espirit du chemin,driven buy a Dutch couple, where you can book ahead on mail, nice place, good food. You will find their website on http://www.chemindecompostelle.com.
ranthr

Bobfromcork,
I don't know if you've already booked your flight to Santander, but if you haven't a flight to Biarritz from Dublin then the train to SJPP might be more convenient.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
okuszte said:
starting the camino on sept 5 from sjpp. anyone else?

Hi, there, yes, starting from St Jean PP sept 5.

We did St Jean to Roncevaux over a weekend in July, just to get the "feel" of things and it was very lucky that we did.

I found out how biting insects could make your life such hell that having to go home is not inconceivable. Now, I am prepared with everything I can imagine I would need to avoid bites or to treat them afterwards.

We also found out what we needed to pack (and everyone's essentials will be slightly different from everyone else's)

So, on Sept 4, we take the train to St Jean, stay the night there, take the bourricot (shuttle mini bus) to Roncevaux the next day (Sept 5) early in the morning and hit the road from there.

If you are planning on walking from St Jean itself, you will be one day behind us. If you'd like to come with us to Roncevaux and start from there, please let me know and we can meet up and share transport to Roncevaux.

Good Luck!

Hello Timid, You might just make it to Rabenal by the end of September. If you do, please stop by the Refugio Guacelmo and say hello to us. We will be hospitaleros there until 1st October. Buen Camino! Anne

Anna, thank you. I'll certainly look you up and, if there is someone available to hear my confession, that will be wonderful!

Mind you, the confession could take some time........ :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back