• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"less popular" albergues

catfishonrye

I've seen lots of posts which recommend staying at the "less popular" albergues in July and August in order to avoid the crowds. My question is, how does one know what the less popular places to stay are? Anyone have suggestions or an itinerary which kept them away from huge crowds during those months? Since I have to go at the most populous time I am doubly interested in finding what little peace and quiet I can.

Megan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
It's sometimes good to stop just before the major stops or the ends of the stages
Being that when the albergues fill up people tend to walk on ahead to the next few stops
(rather than go back to the previous albergues)
So many people simply walk the stages given out at St Jean or follow the stages set in their guide book without thinking too much about it (especially big groups who are often on a set schedule) that if you steer clear of those stops you should have a much easier time getting beds :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
elzi said:
Hi,
It's sometimes good to stop just before the major stops or the ends of the stages
Being that when the albergues fill up people tend to walk on ahead to the next few stops
(rather than go back to the previous albergues)
So many people simply walk the stages given out at St Jean or follow the stages set in their guide book without thinking too much about it (especially big groups who are often on a set schedule) that if you steer clear of those stops you should have a much easier time getting beds :D

Absolutely agree

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Megan, many pilrims avoid the small, basic albergues - those that don't have beds (they nearly all have mattresses though) or electricity, or running water. From my experience, these are often the 'best' albergues.
Just to name a few: Villamayor Monjardin - mattresses on a platform: Tosantos - matresses on the floor: Granon - mattresses on the floor: San Bol - double bunks but no electricity or running water: Manjarin - mattresses on a platform - no electricity, no running water (both of the latter serve a communal dinner cooked on a gas stove): San Anton, Hospital de San Nicoloas etc.

sillydoll said:
Megan, many pilrims avoid the small, basic albergues - those that don't have beds (they nearly all have mattresses though) or electricity, or running water. From my experience, these are often the 'best' albergues.
Just to name a few: Villamayor Monjardin - mattresses on a platform: Tosantos - matresses on the floor: Granon - mattresses on the floor: San Bol - double bunks but no electricity or running water: Manjarin - mattresses on a platform - no electricity, no running water (both of the latter serve a communal dinner cooked on a gas stove): San Anton, Hospital de San Nicoloas etc.

Yes Sil, I'll never forget when in Manjarin ... on july, 1,997. "The day of the big storm..."

.... I was in front of the Cruz de Ferro, when a enormous drop of water fell on mi nose giving me no time to take refuge under the broad eaves of the nearby chapel. A summer downpour, I thought. But not ended and was still falling hard.

In just minutes pilgrims began to arrive, his condition was regrettable, had not given them time to take shelter. As the roofs were filling up, I had finished adjusting the Raincoats and my backpack and went to Manjarín, under the porch and could not let anyone else and thus a free slot.

The waterspout prevented any visibility. I felt I was almost Manjarín when I heard the bell. Thomas recognized me, last year we had talked enough. Even remembered my friend George, my partner in this Way, and asked me about it. From the outset, let me stay, with that horrible weather I could not continue. When he knew I came from Astorga, almost forced me to stay.

I managed to find a mat on the top still had free site. Clean, clean what is said, can not say that was that, but between the mat, coat, and a little ingenuity was all set.

The arrival of supposed soaked pilgrims throughout the ground floor of the house ended up full of water, footsteps etc. Thomas could not keep up. Almost no one dared to follow pilgrim. Soon pilgrims filled the top and the bottom end also.

I had the chance to talk to Thomas at least a couple of hours, which is not just seen what was outside. Thomas also allowed me to consult the books preserved, some interesting, and at about eight or nine, taking advantage of the clouds were taking a little break (to take forces) Thomas pulled out an old radiocasette with an equally old tape motif Templars, put on his white jacket with a large red Templar cross and began his ceremony. The wide-eyed, of course, for which all that we knew nothing about.

As the storm raged with renewed strength, it was time for dinner. Thomas said he would make dinner and a couple of ladies quickly offered to help. I abstained in the kitchen I'm rather clumsy. There rabbit with potatoes, delicious. Those who wanted, Tomas gave us !!!!! wine ¡¡¡¡¡ Yes, it's true, there was wine at dinner. Only a cup, and enjoy it all you want and a little more.

Seas was still raining when we went to bed. And when at 5 in the morning rain stopped, the sudden disappearance of the patter of rain on the roof of the house suddenly woke everyone. Everyone was gathering their things and we left shortly afterwards Manjarín. Thomas focused on whoever wanted to could take a hot coffee before leaving. I thanked him for everything and I went to ....

(...From my memories...)

Sorry for the bad translating, Google is not enough for that and neither do I.

Buen Camino, always, if possible, in little towns and it's little and not well known albergues ...

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, I've been sleeping in some of the "less popular" albergues on the Camino, but I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET those, especially Granon and Tosantos, which I recommand to all pilgrims who wants to experience truly and deepest CAMINO FEELINGS...

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back