• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lessons learned during a week of training

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I was fortunate that my work schedule was such that I had 4 consecutive days off in a row and so I decided I would like to try and do a 15 mile/24 kilometer hike each day, just to see what it would feel like doing them back to back. Also there was going to be a significant mixture wind, rain and snow this week and it gave me a chance to test my rain gear.

(First off, I did not make the 15 mile mark on day 1 or day 2. Only 12 miles each of those days. Had a problem with my right boot, but through perseverance and determination I figured it out and hit 15 miles on day 3 and also on day 4.)
The place I train is a very large wooded park area with a large lake (nice scenery) a variety of steep inclines and declines, flat paved and gravel paths so I get a good mixture of the everything when I hike.

Things I learned this during this week of training:

* layering clothes really does work ~ the only thing that even came close to getting cold was my nose!
(30 degree weather most of the week) I used to be such a "freezy cat" Hard for me to believe I can actually walk 15 miles in cold weather.

* Merino wool rocks!

* smartwool socks coupled with thin nylon liners rock!

* found out my gloves were crap - so my hands did get cold when it was raining until I ditched them and got a different pair

* my leather hiking boots are awesome! (I have read A LOT of advice on the forums to ditch the heavy leather hiking boots, but I love my leather boots and now that I have resolved that bit of a problem with the right boot they fit my feet like a glove. I sloshed thru puddles and walked in rain all day and my feet stayed completely dry. I grew up wearing leather hiking boots so that is what I am used to. (I may change my mind once I am on the camino though and end up ditching them!) I will also be bringing hiking sandals.

* I really enjoy walking in the snow with flakes falling all day and landing on my lashes! (maybe I'll do a winter camino some day :))

* I like the sound of crunching gravel under my boots ~ music to my ears

* I do not like listening to music the first 10 miles, just like the silence and birds. But I find that I do like it the last 5 miles of the day because it give me a bit of pick me up to finish out the day.

* I walk really sloooow the last 5 miles of the day

* that ice really helps a swollen knee

* that I really can knock out last two miles when I was sure I couldn't (I had to...it was the only way to get back to my car!) That knowledge may come in handy IF I have to move onto the next town because the albergue is completo

* that if I am having pain or problems while walking I am not really able to take in the beauty around me or enjoy the walk. My first three days this training week were spent dealing with problems with gear and/or pain. Today was my final training day for this week and I had no pain nor any problems I felt like I enjoyed and absorbed so much as I was not distracted with gear issues and such. I am grateful that I am "ironing out" some of these now and not on the camino. I am sure there will be different issues to deal with ~ but at least it won't be these ones!

* that when the day is done there's is hardly anything better than a HOT shower and a bowl of soup.

Lastly, in my most humble opinion...and for me personally - had I heeded the suggestion or advice of some that training was not really necessary or that critical I believe I would have not made it, or if so it would have been with a lot more pain, problems and possible injury. I know that it can still happen, but I believe that through training I am reducing the odds.

There were significant things that came up when I finally reached the 12 to 15 mile mark while training with my pack that were not evident or did not surface on my 7 or 8 mile hikes. I really want to enjoy this wonderful opportunity I have been blessed with and hope to discover some answers for which I am seeking.
(My hat is off to those of you who didn't have to train much and made it just fine!)

I am so grateful for all the tips, suggestions, and support of those who have experience.

Blessings...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was fortunate that my work schedule was such that I had 4 consecutive days off in a row and so I decided I would like to try and do a 15 mile/24 kilometer hike each day, just to see what it would feel like doing them back to back. Also there was going to be a significant mixture wind, rain and snow this week and it gave me a chance to test my rain gear.

(First off, I did not make the 15 mile mark on day 1 or day 2. Only 12 miles each of those days. Had a problem with my right boot, but through perseverance and determination I figured it out and hit 15 miles on day 3 and also on day 4.)
The place I train is a very large wooded park area with a large lake (nice scenery) a variety of steep inclines and declines, flat paved and gravel paths so I get a good mixture of the everything when I hike.

* layering clothes really does work ~ the only thing that even came close to getting cold was my nose!
(30 degree weather most of the week) I used to be such a "freezy cat" Hard for me to believe I can actually walk 15 miles in cold weather.

* Merino wool rocks!

* smartwool socks coupled with thin nylon liners rock!

* found out my gloves were crap - so my hands did get cold when it was raining until I ditched them and got a different pair

* my leather hiking boots are awesome! (I have read A LOT of advice on the forums to ditch the heavy leather hiking boots, but I love my leather boots and now that I have resolved that bit of a problem with the right boot they fit my feet like a glove. I sloshed thru puddles and walked in rain all day and my feet stayed completely dry. I grew up wearing leather hiking boots so that is what I am used to. (I may change my mind once I am on the camino though and end up ditching them!) I will also be bringing hiking sandals.

* I really enjoy walking in the snow with flakes falling all day and landing on my lashes! (maybe I'll do a winter camino some day :))

* I like the sound of crunching gravel under my boots ~ music to my ears

* I do not like listening to music the first 10 miles, just like the silence and birds. But I find that I do like it the last 5 miles of the day because it give me a bit of pick me up to finish out the day.

* that ice really helps a swollen knee

* that I really can knock out last two miles when I was sure I couldn't (I had to...it was the only way to get back to my car!) That knowledge may come in handy IF I have to move onto the next town because the albergue is completo

* that if I am having pain or problems while walking I am not really able to take in the beauty around me or enjoy the walk. My first three days this training week were spent dealing with problems with gear and/or pain. Today was my final training day for this week and I had no pain nor any problems I felt like I enjoyed and absorbed so much as I was not distracted with gear issues and such. I am grateful that I am "ironing out" some of these now and not on the camino. I am sure there will be different issues to deal with ~ but at least it won't be these ones!

* that when the day is done there's is hardly anything better than a HOT shower and a bowl of soup.

Lastly, in my most humble opinion...and for me personally - had I heeded the suggestion or advice of some that training was not really necessary or that critical I believe I would have not made it, or if so it would have been with a lot more pain, problems and possible injury. I know that it can still happen, but I believe that through training I am reducing the odds.

There were significant things that came up when I finally reached the 12 to 15 mile mark while training with my pack that were not evident or did not surface on my 7 or 8 mile hikes. I really want to enjoy this wonderful opportunity I have been blessed with and hope to discover some answers for which I am seeking.
(My hat is off to those of you who didn't have to train much and made it just fine!)

I am so grateful for all the tips, suggestions, and support of those who have experience.

Blessings...
I recommend walking into your camino. Start out easy and work up to 15 miles a day. It's not carved in stone that you must walk 15 miles a day, it's a goal.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Start out easy and work up to 15 miles a day.
I had started out with 3 miles, then 5, 7, then 10 and have only recently hit 15. I know there is no "set miles" I have to do each day, but my flight back leaves on a certain day and I would really like to try and get out to Finisterre and Muxia -- so it averages out to about 15 a day for the time I have allotted ~ but if I don't make it to Finisterre that's okay too. I am just happy knowing that I can do 15 miles a day (consecutively) if I feel a notion to. :)

My Camino 3 years ago I realized after the first few days I was always trying to get to a certain point on a map. I made a decision to just stop somewhere I felt like. I enjoyed it much more after that. I still got to Fisterra, just had to take the bus from Santiago. Just saying, watch for that because we get competitive with ourselves and try to push.

Great that you have had the time and the foresight to learn your lessons in advance - and that you have enjoyed doing it too. No doubt there will be others learned along the way that no-one could predict - there usually are :) I'm sure you'll get real satisfaction from them too.

I also slow down a lot towards the end of a stage. Partly because I am more tired and partly because I find it is good for the body to wind down gradually. I don't listen to music when I walk but if I am flagging and have a few more km to walk I often finding myself humming or whistling quietly. Usually march music or dance tunes with a good steady rhythm. God bless John Philip Sousa and Milladoiro! You may find that your steps automatically adjust to the rhythm of the music you hear. Be careful what you choose :) Here's a little taste of Galicia that often runs through my head:

Ultreia!

had I heeded the suggestion or advice of some that training was not really necessary or that critical I believe I would have not made it,
As with everything in life, the fitter you are the less pain you will have. If you are in pain from sore legs, knees, splints or blisters you will not enjoy your Camino as much as somebody who has trained. No sports person goes on the field with out training.

Thanks for sharing your training experience, Angie94! I am another one who prefers to test my equipment and myself before beginning my Camino. I know it's all available in the shops in France/Spain/Portugal (haven't chosen my Camino yet!). But I'm not travelling all that way so that I can spend time in shops!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
my leather hiking boots are awesome! (I have read A LOT of advice on the forums to ditch the heavy leather hiking boots, but I love my leather boots and now that I have resolved that bit of a problem with the right boot they fit my feet like a glove.
That is why posts that recommend abandoning boots, using sandals, or walking in bare feet should be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing works for everyone. A good fit is far more important than the footwear. When a post describes something that works for that person, you have a data point; do not accept that as what YOU should do. Try out recommendations, but do not experience it for the first time on the Camino. As you have done, test the equipment before you leave. You may find that boots are too heavy. You may find that lightweight trainers are too flimsy. You may find that sandals do not provide enough support for a long walk. Find out before you leave!! (Never buy footwear a size or two larger than normal as rote. Make sure it fits properly with the socks you will be wearing. Do not add an insole without seeing if it makes the footwear stop fitting properly even if someone tells you it is like walking on pillows.)

Buen camino. It will be better because you are testing your equipment. Don't fail to load your backpack, and walk several times in it. The added weight will challenge your feet, and you will find all those little back and hip muscles you rarely use!! ;)

As you have done, test the equipment before you leave. You may find that boots are too heavy. You may find that lightweight trainers are too flimsy. You may find that sandals do not provide enough support for a long walk. Find out before you leave!!

Agree 100%. Go with what you know works for you. I walked the Camino Ingles, the Camino Primitivo and the Via Francigena last year in a pair of steel-toecapped leather safety boots that cost about £25. Close to 2500km, not including a lot of wear as my routine daily footwear at home. Personally I like the ankle support and the stiffened reinforced sole. No blisters or any other problems for nearly 1000kms until I made the mistake of buying some poor quality socks. The boots carried me all the way to Rome before falling apart completely. I bought a very similar pair on the spot and walked the Camino Portuguese in them last month very comfortably. Including one unplanned 47km day. By contrast a young French woman I met several times on the Via Francigena walked a few hundred km, much of it steep and rocky, in a pair of very flimsy sandals with no problems either. It worked for her so who else should interfere?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't fail to load your backpack, and walk several times in it. The added weight will challenge your feet, and you will find all those little back and hip muscles you rarely use!! ;)
suggestion already taken and you are right :) (ohhhh my aching muscles!)
I've been using my pack for a few weeks now and I remember a gentleman saying on this forum something like "keep your pack weight down because at the end of the day it'll feel like you have a baby elephant on your back!" Ummmm...I believe that to be true now that I have practiced with too much pack weight! uggghhhh:eek: definitely got to get it down...

@Angie94, very nice post! One of the best I've seen in a long time. Nothing replaces training and firsthand experience.

One lesson I learned on the Camino, even with all the training we did, was the cumulative effect of walking. Our longest prep was three 15 mile days, and on the Camino by about day five every last muscle ached like it never did in training. We weren't getting enough protein to compensate/jumpstart the muscle healing process. I cooked that evening for my son and myself, and between us we ate about 3.5 lbs of chicken (yeah!), plus lots of fresh spinach, plus the usual allotment of carbs. The next day we felt GREAT! The pains were gone and we had strength and energy to spare. We did that twice more during the camino, each time when we were adjusting to larger mileages. By the end, 20 miles was a walk in the park and we still had plenty of energy and strength to spare after walking 27 miles into Santiago. Also by that time, our bodies were far more efficient at using the food energy to maximum advantage, and we weren't eating much more than about 2500-3000 calories each day.

The other lesson learned is that SJPdP over the Route de Napoleon is about 17-18 depending which path you take down, and it's better to eat more than less the day before and on the day of the crossing. We flew to Madrid and got up to Corazon Puro in Viskaret on Sturday/Sunday, and started first thing Monday. But, with all the travelling and jet-lag, we hadn't eaten as much as we needed, so we bonked badly enough that we missed vespers and the pilgrim's blessing (a real disappointment) and ate out of a vending machine (putting us further into nutritional debt for the next day to Zubiri). One extra bocadillo that day for later in the hike (or even extra almonds and chocolate) would have made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
will definitely take your experience to heart! :) What part of Colorado are you from? I grew in up in Colorado Springs...beautfiul!
Arvada (northwest of Denver). I had trained more for intensity than distance, and I regularly backpack in the Rockies on much harder terrain than the Camino. I simply underestimated the impact of distance.

I love Colorado Springs and the way it nestles right up against the mountains. Pike's Peak . . . Seven Falls . . . Garden of the Gods . . . Simply stunning.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Simply stunning.
Indeed it is! but...the Springs has become too large for me these days. Since they don't want to build up so as not block the view of the mountains (that is what I was told) they have spread out the city and it takes half a day to get from one end to the other! (almost ;))
I would love to go back and hike the rockies though...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had started out with 3 miles, then 5, 7, then 10 and have only recently hit 15. I know there is no "set miles" I have to do each day, but my flight back leaves on a certain day and I would really like to try and get out to Finisterre and Muxia -- so it averages out to about 15 a day for the time I have allotted ~ but if I don't make it to Finisterre that's okay too. I am just happy knowing that I can do 15 miles a day (consecutively) if I feel a notion to. :)
On my last camino, we started out easy, 10 kilometers or less to start. By the end of week 2 we were walking 30 plus kilometers a day and feeling strong.
Buen Camino

We have not trained for consecutive days but have done 16 mile days a couple of full pack days. When we started training about 6 months ago, my wife recovering from a knee replacement and me recovering from a motorbike accident with damaged ligaments in my foot the thought that walking 3 miles with 2 rests was a great accomplishment with out packs. We leave for SJPDP in 13 days to walk to Santiago.

15 mile/24 kilometer hike each day, just to see what it would feel like doing them back to back.
Good for you Angie94! The back to back thing is key. We did a lot of training, but not of it back to back. The second morning was rough!

€60,-
At the end of a long day on the camino it sometimes feels like my body wants to lie down and die, and after a good night's sleep, I spring up and dance out like a new born lamb. Well, almost. Our bodies have amazing recuperative powers.

I've been hoping to take some long training walks too, @Angie94, but between a leg injury, an unexpected work deadline, and icy paths here in Vermont, that hasn't happened. I leave April 15th, and should be able to have a few weeks before then of daily walks with my pack and Camino footwear. Six or seven miles a day isn't a problem for me, but twelve to fifteen no doubt would be. I have two months to walk the Frances, so plan to start very slowly and walk short days.

I have Orisson booked for my first night, but am rethinking whether I should walk the lower route rather than the Napoleon, given my scant training. Maybe I should break that stage up with a night in Varcarlos? Is the experience of the high route worth such a strenuous start? (maybe the weather will decide this for me...) Any thoughts you folks have would be helpful!

If the weather is good then the walk over the Route Napoleon is glorious, and you have made your booking at Orisson. I suspect you may be suffering from "first night nerves" - they will disappear as soon as you set foot on the path with a host of other pilgrims. I love the Valcarlos route too, so I'm not advocating one or the other. Either route has pluses and minuses.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At the end of a long day on the camino it sometimes feels like my body wants to lie down and die, and after a good night's sleep, I spring up and dance out like a new born lamb. Well, almost. Our bodies have amazing recuperative powers.
You are so right Kanga! that is exactly what happened at the end of day three ~ when I went to bed I told myself "there is NO way I can walk tomorrow, I am so tired and so sore, I can hardly walk!" and when I woke up I could hardly believe it, I felt good and was even ready to go...so I did!" I was really quite amazed as I had not experienced that before.

I got my first blister today on a training walk with 16 lb. backpack. Glad to be sorting this out now, though I don't now what to do! It is on the bottom of my foot, between the two pads of the ball of my foot! Help!

You'll get all sorts of advice - much contradictory! My choice is always to drain it by piercing 2 or 3 holes around the edge with a large sewing needle and very gently pressing with a pad of tissue paper. Likely to sting at first and hurt like #### when you first put weight on it. If you can do the draining just before bed so much the better. It will be sore when you walk on it at first but that should ease off a good deal after a few minutes on your feet.

Hope it doesn't put you off. Catch it early and that spot will soon toughen up. All the best!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is on the bottom of my foot, between the two pads of the ball of my foot! Help!

I should have added that after you deal with the blister try to work out what caused it. Badly fitting boot? Socks too thick/thin/sweaty? Did your socks get wrinkled inside your boot/shoe? Again you'll find dozens of suggestions but I like to wear thin synthetic Coolmax liner socks under heavier wool ones.

In the last two/three weeks, I've begun to do some "training" for the Camino Francés in April. On five occasions, I've managed 30km in one day, in two starts, with lunch in between. But, today is the first time that I've tried to do two days in a row. I'm still alive, but only just. I have no injuries, or specific pains, but I do feel a little banjaxed, to quote James Joyce, who knew a bit about these things. My legs and knees feel stiff when I go to stand up.
But, I'm happy that I can manage two full stages one after the other. I wasn't sure I could do that. So, I'll make it to Larrasoana in one piece. Of course, the first day will be harder than anything that I've done, as I've walked only on the level, not up the Pyrenees! Time will tell.
But, can I do a third day in a row? There will still be 730 km to go after two days! Watch this space. On verra.
I've been walking with a 7.5 kg knapsack, laden with pinhead oats and a dumb-bell, and using a pair of Pacer Poles. And I've been wearing the actual shoes that I'll be using, Saucony trail runners. They are extremely comfortable, and haven't blistered or pinched me, over the best part of 200km. And, on most days, I've worn just normal socks. I'm also wearing the tshirts and fleeces.
I expect my knapsack to weigh less than 5kg plus water and a banana, so that will be a relief.
On the training walks, I tried to walk at an even pace, and largely succeeded, so I didn't experience the slowing down that some people have mentioned. I would rather walk faster and have more time to rest, eat, wash, liaise with other pilgrims, chat up women etc. (and not necessarily in that sequence), than be on my feet all day. Shirley MacLaine (actress) walked it in 1999 at the age of 65, and, on many days, walked for 10 hours. I don't think I could stand up after 10 hours! She still got to Santiago in 30 days, so she must have averaged 27km or more daily. So she was walking at 3km per hour, or less.
I'm in a walking group, possibly the slowest in the world, and we walked 8km on Tuesday morning. After stopping six times for two old ladies to catch up, stopping to eat chocolate, and waiting for a walker who went into the woods to do "pipi", we still finished the 8km in two hours, and we walked so slowly. That's 4km per hour. At that speed, on the Camino, I might fall asleep. But, climbing the Pyrenees, maybe 3 km an hour would be an ambitious pace!
I'm going to stay in the municipal and parish albergues where they're available, and eat the pilgrim menu or share the communal dinner. I'm pretending to be a pilgrim, so I don't think that's compatible with staying in hotels, or sending my bag in a van, or taking the bus. Of course, if I turn my ankle, all bets are off, but that's a different story. Others can do as they please.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't read the whole thread but I had a chuckle over this one:

"I walk really sloooow the last 5 miles of the day"

because it reminded me, the closer I got to the end of my day the faster I walked, similar with my friends. We decided we behaved like horses do, the closer they get to the barn the faster they trot.

The last 5 km (out of 29) on Saturday I kept changing my mind. "I feel great, I could do another 13 km and get to the next town!" and five minutes later "WHY am I doing this to myself? If a taxi came by right now I'd jump in!"

Fortunately, the first feeling predominated, and this morning I got up and wandered around town for an hour just becausde I couldn't sit still and wait for my walking companion.

I've been hoping to take some long training walks too, @Angie94, but between a leg injury, an unexpected work deadline, and icy paths here in Vermont, that hasn't happened. I leave April 15th, and should be able to have a few weeks before then of daily walks with my pack and Camino footwear. Six or seven miles a day isn't a problem for me, but twelve to fifteen no doubt would be. I have two months to walk the Frances, so plan to start very slowly and walk short days.

I have Orisson booked for my first night, but am rethinking whether I should walk the lower route rather than the Napoleon, given my scant training. Maybe I should break that stage up with a night in Varcarlos? Is the experience of the high route worth such a strenuous start? (maybe the weather will decide this for me...) Any thoughts you folks have would be helpful!
Hi, I would also love to hear this answered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked it from SJPP to Rocesvalles in one stretch, age 37, and 100 pounds over weight. If I did it, and unless you have a physical condition that makes you limp, etc., and all you are dealing with is fatigue and lazyness, you can do it. Plus, I had not brought any snacks with me. As much as I enjoyed my break in Orisson, It would feel like a cop out I I not pushed on, and still will when I walk it again. Just leave early, carry chocolate with you, and fill you water bottles when you cross into Spain.

I walked it from SJPP to Rocesvalles in one stretch, age 37, and 100 pounds over weight. If I did it, and unless you have a physical condition that makes you limp, etc., and all you are dealing with is fatigue and lazyness, you can do it.
Well, lazy or not, there is no way I am walking from SJPD to Roncesvalles in one day. What's the rush on my first day of a very long walk?

Blessings...

I will do my first Camino this Spring, by bicycle. However as someone who is a Senior and been hiking, distance running and distance biking for a long time, I will share a few of my special tips.

1. No matter the form of transportation.....at lunch, change your socks to a fresh pair.....it is a great way to prevent blisters and give yourself a little luxury!
  2. Learn how different boot lacing techniques work......this is a lost art, but really works. There are lacing patterns for going downhills and for various types of foot/boot mismatch issues. Again, stop at the top of a huge downhill decent, re-lace your boots to prevent your toes from being jammed into the front of your boots. The lacing pattern for flat/uphill should be different for downhill.
  3. Remember to drink lots of fluids and refuel at regular intervals. If you read much about endurance running, you will understand that you need to regularly refuel. When I hike up mountains, I make sure that every hour I either eat a small snack or suck down a gel-goo pack of carbs. Nothing will bonk you more than depleting your energy (fuel), electrolytes, or water.
  4. Gloves, an ultra-light, compressible vest and hats are really important for warmth.
  5. If it rains, cotton is not your friend----fleece, wool, synthetics are all better at keeping you warm than cotton.
  6. If you take trekking poles, adjust their length depending on the terrain and what you are doing. Make them longer when you go downhill, shorter when you go up hill. Learn that their is a different length if you want to use them a Nordic walking (arm push, then drag tips on ground) poles or as balance for flat walking.
  7. Remember to take the 10 essentials, including a first aid kit and extra food/water.
  8. Never feel like you can't take a break if you get tired and if you are getting tired have some food that warms you up and lifts your spirits.

Great tips , thank you for sharing!

You are welcome.

I thought I would post a few links on shoe/boot lacing. There is a lot more to it than most folks realize. Among half marathon and marathon runners, shoe lacing can be discussed for hours.

http://spright.com/news/ways-to-tie-shoes-to-relieve-foot-pain/

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/how-to/footwear/Pages/Lacing-Techniques-for-Proper-Shoe-Fit.aspx

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tipsforsports.htm

One final tip and that is after a very hard round of exercise, make sure you have both carbs and protein in the the right proportions within a half an hour of stopping exercising. This will maximize your ability to do hard exercise either later that day or the next day. When I do mountain climbing, long runs, or long bike rides, I try to do this trick at my lunch break and at the end of the day. Sometimes at lunch on a 100 mile bike ride I will stop at a grocery store of gas station market to get a couple of protein shakes or chocolate milk containers and have one for lunch and keep the other for either my next stop or the end of the day.

Considering how many days you will be walking long distances, maximizing your muscle recovery each day, becomes more important, unless you have really trained a lot and aren't pushing yourself to your limits (which is good).

The science behind it is found in the following article.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/7

Good luck on your Camino

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back