• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lessons that the Camino taught me

VitorLuisDS

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues Central (Porto) - 2023
Primitivo 2024 ?
Just Finished the Camino Portuguese and was thinking about writing about the lessons my Camino taught me. I would love to hear from you guys about it.

1. Don't underestimate the challenge!
When I was planning my Camino I thought that it was hard, but not that hard. I mean, "I'm a fit person, I go to the gym 6 times a week, so I should be ok".
Well well, first, let's just skip the fact that goin to the gym has nothing to do with the Camino, and no way that working out will prepare you adequately to walk 20kms (or more) /day.
Secondly, I could have been ok to walk 20kms but I Started my first 2 days walking way more than that (to keep it short let's say I walked 28kms~). I sure wasn't prepared for that.
Result, I had to take a rest day on my third day of walking. I simply could not walk ahaha.
After that, I realized that ok, my limit is 20kms~.

• Don't underestimate the cold!
This mistake was made on the planning stage. I read a lot about the Camino, and supposed that most people just bring a bed liner with them, because it's very hot, etc etc. But most people go in the Summer (obviously) and I assumed that March was not goin to be that cold, so I should be fine.
Ahaha, it was cold! Most of the time I was ok and just put some of my clothes on top of me and it was bearable, but probably bringing a sleeping bag would have made my nights much smoother.

• Don't underestimate the snoring!
Of course I was aware of the snoring problem, but I don't think I gave the correct level of importance. I brought a very cheap pair of earplugs.
Result, my first night on the Camino, 10 beds in a room and it's just me and this guy. Well, at this point it's very obvious what happened, the guy had the worst snoring I ever heard!!
I honestly thought he was about to die ahaha. And again, this was on my first day (that I pushed too hard), I was broken and could not sleep until it was 04:00 and I woke up at 07:00. What a good night of sleep! :/

• Don't underestimate the friendships you build along the Camino!
In the planning phase I knew that it was very possible to create great bonds of friendship along the Camino, but that it would be 100% ok to split up if one person needed to take a rest day or if another person decided to push forward for a few more kilometers.
Well, that happened and I was ok with that but after so many days seeing the same pilgrims at every albergue it just felt a little unsettling to stop seeing them.
When I reached Santiago and laid myself in front of the cathedral and under the sun, I felt kind of sad and lonely, because even though there were some familiar faces, the ones I had spent most time with, were not there.
Eventually, one of them arrived and it was like the happiest moment of the day. Reaching Santiago wasn't but reaching Santiago and then seeing someone to share this accomplishment with was what really made the day!

• Don't underestimate the post-camino blues!

Ok, and finally I thought that this was something that was not gonna happen with me. I thought I was mature enough or something. But, oh boy, I was wrong.
At this moment, I'm on the bus going back to Porto with teary eyes. The post-Camino blues already hit hard!
To say farewell to such amazing people and to go on alone again back home made me really sad. After all this time with a routine that involved much simpler things to consider, going back to normal life feels simply wrong and very, but very shallow.
I know that this will pass eventually and I'll be ok, but it just feels like there's a hole inside my chest.
I was going to take the day to explore Santiago, but after saying goodbye to my fellow pilgrims, I was just lost and just wanted to go back home.

And if anyone recognizes me from this text that met me on the Camino, just thank you! Really thank you for being part of this amazing adventure ❤️ Feel free to contact me.

Greetings from a first time Brazilian pilgrim that will surely do this again!

Vitor.

P.S.: Okay, I took a nap on the way back and realized that it probably wasn’t the best moment to write about the post-camino blues. I seemed very sad, but that’s not true. I’m really glad and happy about my journey. But I’ll leave the text unchanged because that was what I was feeling at the moment.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your wonderful post! I've no doubt that all us Camino veterans understand and agree. For me, your point "the friendships" really resonates. I met so many great people from so many places around the world! I met many Spanish pilgrims as well as the many local folk who provide the accommodations, restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries (oh the bakeries!), bars and shops. I also met folk from Ireland, France, the Philippines, Germany, England, Korea, Canada, Scotland, Brazil, Japan, Kiwis, Aussies, and many fellow Yanks! My lesson: Our similarities far outweigh our differences.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I was planning my Camino I thought that it was hard, but not that hard. I mean, "I'm a fit person, I go to the gym 6 times a week, so I should be ok".
Well well, first, let's just skip the fact that goin to the gym has nothing to do with the Camino, and no way that working out will prepare you adequately to walk 20kms (or more) /day.
Secondly, I could have been ok to walk 20kms but I Started my first 2 days walking way more than that (to keep it short let's say I walked 28kms~). I sure wasn't prepared for that.
Result, I had to take a rest day on my third day of walking. I simply could not walk ahaha.
Yes - in regards to walking longer distances - usually a bad idea during the first week. Too many people push it and end up with injuries that could have been avoided if they walked the "normal stages" or shorter distances during the first several days to a week. But - that doesn't necessarily mean your limit is 20km... just that you should start out limiting yourself to 20km in the beginning (for me I recommend the first week). But as weeks go on - it is often much easier to do longer distances. Doesn't mean you HAVE to go longer distances, but many would be surprised at the distances they are able to go towards the end of a month of walking. I did 50km one day at the end!
Just Finished the Camino Portuguese and was thinking about writing about the lessons my Camino taught me. I would love to hear from you guys about it.

This mistake was made on the planning stage. I read a lot about the Camino, and supposed that most people just bring a bed liner with them, because it's very hot, etc etc. But most people go in the Summer (obviously) and I assumed that March was not goin to be that cold, so I should be fine.
Ahaha, it was cold! Most of the time I was ok and just put some of my clothes on top of me and it was bearable, but probably bringing a sleeping bag would have made my nights much smoother.

And to this I will add - the cold can happen any time of the year! While June/July/August can be VERY hot... I had VERY COLD June/July Camino a couple years ago and a sleeping liner was NOT enough and it was hard to sleep it was so cold without a sleeping bag. The next year it was warmer, but still had a few very cold nights. And then my daughter started just a few weeks after me... and she had the heat wave. You just never know - better to be prepared because there is not more worse than walking all day, day after day, and not getting needed sleep because you are too cold.

And the post-Camino blues is real. There are such a mix of emotions - but it is not uncommon to feel blue after completing a Camino. It gets better - and you will also have great memories - but it can be challenging to get back into the real world.

Thank you for your wonderful post! I've no doubt that all us Camino veterans understand and agree. For me, your point "the friendships" really resonates. I met so many great people from so many places around the world! I met many Spanish pilgrims as well as the many local folk who provide the accommodations, restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries (oh the bakeries!), bars and shops. I also met folk from Ireland, France, the Philippines, Germany, England, Korea, Canada, Scotland, Brazil, Japan, Kiwis, Aussies, and many fellow Yanks! My lesson: Our similarities far outweigh our differences.
Exactly, honestly I thought that all of that was exaggerated until I experience it myself. The Camino really unites us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, you're probably right. The real problem in my case was walking to much on the first days. I felt by the end that I could probably walk 25 (or more) with the same level of fatigue than some days before walking 20.
Exactly. Too many overdo it the first couple days. Always better to start slower and listen to your body!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for your words! Writing when you were tired and sad was perfect.

I generally walk a lot, so I walked a lot more prepping for my Camino. No amount of prep actually prepares you for Camino, but no prep is a bad idea. It was easier than I thought it would be, it's not easy, but Camino is less difficult than I expected.

The Blues, come and go. Some days I have to physically stop myself from booking a flight. Every day I want to. Only 5 1/2 more months to go! I have all the gear I could possibly want and will have to spend some time culling the list to make it more manageable, and of course I've added a few items to my list (a knee and an ankle brace as I had developed a few issues along the way).

Buen Camino!

My main thing was more, it all matter so little. Sore feet, ok so get going. Rain or storm, keep going. Compostela no long is important, and like you said, sad to reach as it is the end of a journey.

Maybe someone shares these feelings too
THIS! This is very true, I walked on many rainy days and it's funny how my reaction to then changed as the days passed.
About the compostela, the same thing, I went at the tourism office and when I got it, it felt so... I don't know... futile to me. I have it with me, but it's should be obvious to us that this piece of paper could never summarize what our Camino meant.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for your words! Writing when you were tired and sad was perfect.

I generally walk a lot, so I walked a lot more prepping for my Camino. No amount of prep actually prepares you for Camino, but no prep is a bad idea. It was easier than I thought it would be, it's not easy, but Camino is less difficult than I expected.

The Blues, come and go. Some days I have to physically stop myself from booking a flight. Every day I want to. Only 5 1/2 more months to go! I have all the gear I could possibly want and will have to spend some time culling the list to make it more manageable, and of course I've added a few items to my list (a knee and an ankle brace as I had developed a few issues along the way).

Buen Camino!
For sure, probably in my next Camino, I'll make an effort to walk some longer distances before (or even walk more regularly in day-to-day life from now on).

And well, let's see how the Blues will affect me. But for now, after the feling of emptyness, I'm trying to focus more on how incredible of an experience it was.

I wish you a good final 5 1/2 months of preparation and then, Buen Camino!!

THIS! This is very true, I walked on many rainy days and it's funny how my reaction to then changed as the days passed.
About the compostela, the same thing, I went at the tourism office and when I got it, it felt so... I don't know... futile to me. I have it with me, but it's should be obvious to us that this piece of paper could never summarize what our Camino meant.
Agree re-Compostela, I found the Pilgrims Mass captured the moment and meaning so much more.

Re-friendships "Better to have loved(met) and lost, opposed to never loving(meeting) at all".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

• Don't underestimate the snoring!
Of course I was aware of the snoring problem, but I don't think I gave the correct level of importance. I brought a very cheap pair of earplugs.
Result, my first night on the Camino, 10 beds in a room and it's just me and this guy. Well, at this point it's very obvious what happened, the guy had the worst snoring I ever heard!!
I honestly thought he was about to die ahaha. And again, this was on my first day (that I pushed too hard), I was broken and could not sleep until it was 04:00 and I woke up at 07:00. What a good night of sleep! :/

• Don't underestimate the friendships you build along the Camino!
In the planning phase I knew that it was very possible to create great bonds of friendship along the Camino, but that it would be 100% ok to split up if one person needed to take a rest day or if another person decided to push forward for a few more kilometers.
Well, that happened and I was ok with that but after so many days seeing the same pilgrims at every albergue it just felt a little unsettling to stop seeing them.
When I reached Santiago and laid myself in front of the cathedral and under the sun, I felt kind of sad and lonely, because even though there were some familiar faces, the ones I had spent most time with, were not there.
Eventually, one of them arrived and it was like the happiest moment of the day. Reaching Santiago wasn't but reaching Santiago and then seeing someone to share this accomplishment with was what really made the day!

• Don't underestimate the post-camino blues!

Ok, and finally I thought that this was something that was not gonna happen with me. I thought I was mature enough or something. But, oh boy, I was wrong.
At this moment, I'm on the bus going back to Porto with teary eyes. The post-Camino blues already hit hard!
To say farewell to such amazing people and to go on alone again back home made me really sad. After all this time with a routine that involved much simpler things to consider, going back to normal life feels simply wrong and very, but very shallow.
I know that this will pass eventually and I'll be ok, but it just feels like there's a hole inside my chest.
I was going to take the day to explore Santiago, but after saying goodbye to my fellow pilgrims, I was just lost and just wanted to go back home.

And if anyone recognizes me from this text that met me on the Camino, just thank you! Really thank you for being part of this amazing adventure ❤️ Feel free to contact me.

Greetings from a first time Brazilian pilgrim that will surely do this again!

Vitor.

P.S.: Okay, I took a nap on the way back and realized that it probably wasn’t the best moment to write about the post-camino blues. I seemed very sad, but that’s not true. I’m really glad and happy about my journey. But I’ll leave the text unchanged because that was what I was feeling at the moment.
E verdade Vitor !
Que saudades , caminho e incrivel.

I have to agree re receiving the Compestella! Being a type A personality I did well whilst walking the Frances to stay present and focus on the journey and not the destination, however was expecting a HUGE sense of achievement when I received the Compestella in Santiago…
Yes, I was excited to get it however in hindsight it was a bit of an anticlimax because I realised the JOURNEY was the achievement that I was proud of, and the Compestella wasn’t required as evidence, because the Camino has left its mark on my heart and soul, so I don’t need a piece of paper as validation of this amazing thing I have accomplished 🙏🚶‍♀️

The best thing you can do regarding walking fitness, is go for a mini trek in the weeks before you leave, even if just for a weekend. Use the pack you intend to use on Camino, full of all the items you intend to walk with. Fitness level is some of it, but not all. It takes time for legs and shoulders to get used to carrying a load. You can go with a poor mans version and put a couple of house bricks in a rucksack and walk. But do something. Walk 16-24 km a day for the first week, then increase. Beyond that it comes down to how mentally tough you are and how driven. ;)

I have no issue with snorers. After walking for 10-12 hours I am physically exhausted and the second my head hits the pillow I am gone until my alarm goes off at 6am.

Cold, well I carry a sleeping bag at all times. It weighs about 400g, is 3 season and suits me as I tend to only walk in Sept/Oct. If I was walking in March i would probably get a slightly better 4 season and definitely carry a space (tin foil) blanket or maybe a thin fleece blanket. Though honestly the only time I might contemplate walking in March is if I was walking the VdlP or Portuguese from Lisbon, although some guys I talked to from Seville said April is best. Not to warm, not to cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The best thing you can do regarding walking fitness, is go for a mini trek in the weeks before you leave, even if just for a weekend. Use the pack you intend to use on Camino, full of all the items you intend to walk with. Fitness level is some of it, but not all. It takes time for legs and shoulders to get used to carrying a load. You can go with a poor mans version and put a couple of house bricks in a rucksack and walk. But do something. Walk 16-24 km a day for the first week, then increase. Beyond that it comes down to how mentally tough you are and how driven. ;)

I have no issue with snorers. After walking for 10-12 hours I am physically exhausted and the second my head hits the pillow I am gone until my alarm goes off at 6am.

Cold, well I carry a sleeping bag at all times. It weighs about 400g, is 3 season and suits me as I tend to only walk in Sept/Oct. If I was walking in March i would probably get a slightly better 4 season and definitely carry a space (tin foil) blanket or maybe a thin fleece blanket. Though honestly the only time I might contemplate walking in March is if I was walking the VdlP or Portuguese from Lisbon, although some guys I talked to from Seville said April is best. Not to warm, not to cold.
All good tips! Thanks.
I wish I was like you regarding how easy you fall asleep :D.

I have to agree re receiving the Compestella! Being a type A personality I did well whilst walking the Frances to stay present and focus on the journey and not the destination, however was expecting a HUGE sense of achievement when I received the Compestella in Santiago…
Yes, I was excited to get it however in hindsight it was a bit of an anticlimax because I realised the JOURNEY was the achievement that I was proud of, and the Compestella wasn’t required as evidence, because the Camino has left its mark on my heart and soul, so I don’t need a piece of paper as validation of this amazing thing I have accomplished 🙏🚶‍♀️
Ecxatly! The journey is everything.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.