• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let’s take a garden walk this week

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Last week we looked out from each other’s bedroom windows. I thought it might be nice to share our gardens - especially for those who can’t get out into nature.
I’ll start at my letterbox (with its tiles from Santiago)...
FC2422B8-BD01-4289-B8FF-9557BFD75782.jpeg
We’ll pass my newly planted brassicas next to the rogue strawberry and rhubarb-from-a-friend in a spot that captures winter sun
034DC21B-51E7-4147-ACCE-6B091DB51241.jpeg
Then towards the front door - past the boysenberry, blueberries and mint on your left...
8B604E60-192C-43C9-A318-A404ACBA9AF7.jpeg
...and veges and flowers to the right
453AF206-FF22-4652-ACF8-348865B1669A.jpeg FF8D485D-DB47-4908-AFD1-83603104BB67.jpeg B2E6D20A-D9F0-4895-B772-28FE0C739F62.jpeg
Round the corner we have the herb garden (next to the outdoor pizza oven we built - from garden to plate in seconds)
1A115B99-FAD9-40C3-BB8B-8C3F5745D582.jpeg
If we walk down to the main vege plot we see this:
D48759CD-13E9-4BF7-A323-4E5C828948A3.png
And then the sad vege garden, almost bedding down for winter
277D29C9-82E9-4D30-BD31-ED8786374C5D.jpeg
Although we are in the heart of suburbia, we have lots of trees including food-giving ones: apples, plums, feijoas, guava, mandarins, lemons, lime - so very blessed.

Attachments

• C23B4592-E998-4DA5-BBC0-DBF6B25220F6.jpeg
    C23B4592-E998-4DA5-BBC0-DBF6B25220F6.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 63
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This isn't really fair to forum members in less temperate climates (such as most of my country), but here goes...

My garden always looks more impressive when just planted, with the optimism of spring ambitions. By early summer, its promise has usually faded, and by summer's end we are lucky to get a small crop of edibles. I neglect to water, and we don't really have enough sun in the back yard. However, we do have impressive crops of volunteer dill, parsley, and potatoes - all from plants of previous years. And the rosemary won't stop growing! My husband and I have differing philosophies of pruning, so we have His and Hers apple trees. There is a touch of competition. :D

Starting at the kitchen table, arugula and kale planted only 3 days ago:
Seedlings.jpg

Back yard - Of course I'm showing only the attractive parts! Note the seaweed paths through the newly-prepared veggie plot. Every day I've been walking to the beach (only 3 or 4 km return trip) and bringing a bag home. Last year's seaweed has been dug in. The apple tree is barely budding since the spring has been rather cold for us, but daffodils are in full bloom.
Veggie plot.jpg Apple.jpg

Front yard. In the foreground are some plants waiting out our quarantine, to go to rock garden at our son's new house.
Front.jpg

Here is my luxurious garden that I share with my neighbors. Take note of the impressive panda bear that slumbers in the shadow of the cherry trees and the splendid XX century buildings. When the cherry flowers bloom, this will be the Garden of Eden...!

Edit: I wrote earlier that the panda was "anatomically correct": I have actually not verified that. Gee, I need to brush up my English vocabulary... 🤭

Attachments

• DSC_2309_copy_1376x774.jpg
    DSC_2309_copy_1376x774.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was thinking the same as @C clearly, it isn’t the best time of year here to take pics, the garden in only just waking up from Winter and still looks very bare. But I went out to see what I could find.
As I took the first pic, I was caught in a hailstorm 😳 Now it’s icy showers and even a flurry of snow so the other 2 pics were taken from inside 😁 The back garden will have to wait for another day, brrrrr.
Sadly, can’t grow veggies here as it is a ‘woodland‘ 00F95391-6EA2-43B9-91EA-A9F930118A32.jpegDFF7E7EE-46E8-418F-9865-F8B8DCBE8E64.jpeg945E1B23-48FE-488F-9D6D-98C0AFC90300.jpeggarden but I have an allotment 😁

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My garden at the moment. My garden work to-day was to get away so much snow that we were able to use the car if needed. If we have to be tested for the virus, we must go 22km by car. As far as now, no virus.

Attachments

• 26CE3450-A66A-4A7B-9FF5-5F0EDE8BE659.jpeg
    26CE3450-A66A-4A7B-9FF5-5F0EDE8BE659.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • 356E061F-B826-43DE-AF73-5DCB350485BE.jpeg
    356E061F-B826-43DE-AF73-5DCB350485BE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • AB87D47B-5674-4C05-87FD-263B9A4FB250.jpeg
    AB87D47B-5674-4C05-87FD-263B9A4FB250.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 32685C33-0B65-4291-B739-DD21F9ABACE1.jpeg
    32685C33-0B65-4291-B739-DD21F9ABACE1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
To relate to ranthr, a similar garden but I happen to be luckier with the weather today :)
-15°C / 5F this morning. Still over 60cm snow in many places.

The nearest hospital is 130 km away, which we consider close by. We actually have only three hospitals with ICUs for an area as large as Hungary. Therefore we hope this year's Easter tourists will stay at home in their cities far South. Else there will be a shortage in helicopter transfer to the hospitals.
To make this a "walk" in the garden some descriptions:
1: Our little boat waiting for the ice to melt. This is actually or "private little cove" off the large river. It can take until mid May before it is really free of ice.
2. Our little headland in the river, in summer quite boggy/marshland in parts. You cannot grow much else there than reed and birch trees ;-)
3. The boat house. Unfortunately we do not have a larger boat at the moment so it is actually empty.
4. Here we can sit in the sun :) I just cleared the place from snow and most ice. Now the sun will hopefully help us with the last layer of ice.
5. At the other side of the house: Driveway, garage, "workshop", firewood storage ... and our only direct neighbour in a distance ;-)
... the big metal box is actually a trailer for snowmobiles and transport in general.
IMG_1655.JPGIMG_1634.JPGIMG_1633.JPGIMG_1650.JPGIMG_1602.JPG

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We got our first blooms a month ago, small bulbs. Lots more of different kinds now but scattered throughout the yard wherever the wind and squirrels wanted them so no pretty patches.

If you mean garden in the British sense of an American yard here's a pic.
IMG_20200329_112634.jpg

Daffodils on the river bank are doing fine but only one or two blooming up higher.
IMG_20200329_112617.jpg

About half of my front yard is in perennial beds and rhododendrons. The irises aren't ready and neither are the rhodies (but they should be blooming happily in two months by the look of things).
IMG_20200329_112313.jpgIMG_20200329_112423.jpg

In June they should look like this:
Screenshot_20200329-120050.pngScreenshot_20200329-120029.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This isn't really fair ...
I was thinking ...

I was also thinking that things are what they are. I and that small proportion of the worlds population that live between 23 degrees south and Antarctica have just passed the Autumn Equinox. And its just not fair that the weather for our lock down is fast deteriorating. A deluge and tempest yesterday at my place, for example. And isn't really fair that @Rick of Rick and Peg (who has about the same latitude of @C clearly ) is having the weather he is having compared to ...

My understanding for residential properties is that, whether in Canada or Mexico any country in between, a yard is that land you haven't built on. You can have front-yards, backyards and side-yards. The expression "yard" is often referred to in town planning where, for example, minimum side yards are prescribed for the purpose of access for fire fighting and for ventilation.

A front-yard might be a place to put down a driveway so you can show off your collection of gas-guzzling SUVs. Or you might put it all into lawn with a neat path to the entry door.

Or even use it for garden(s).

In my neck of the wood, side-yards were usually a means to get to the back-yard without going through the house to get to the back-yard cricket pitch (@C clearly , you might be able to relate that that).

One can have a field day with different terms on different side on the pond for the same thing. A good example is boot and ....

The lesson is this: stay away from looking for differences when they don't exist

Mea culpa. Just needed to get that off my chest on my 5th day of lock down. I will have my real post on this topic ready soon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kiwi-family , it is not fair. As I start this (11am, Monday) I should have landed at Auckland on the first leg of my 40 hour journey to my re-start point of Chaumont-en-haut-Marne.

On the other hand, given others have decided to cancel my outward bound flights, I am still at home.

And your threads have helped distract me from my disappointment.

I live in an apartment in a retirement village. For your "out-of-bedroom window" thread I faced east. For this thread I face the other way and have the advantage of a beautiful sunny day to take my photos.

The first picks up my bedroom on the right and the executive toy my youngest son made nearly 30 years ago. The village gardener looks after this part with the tree forming a magnificent bird hotel in the season.

The second swings left a little to pick up the brick paved front yard that I look after and my training hills in the distance. These are 300-400 metres (1000-1300 feet) above sea level (asl). We had a very prolonged dry, hot summer and the pasture (sheep, with real fleece) had turned lighter than usual: they are starting to green up now. There is a landing strip top left (747's and even A321's need not apply) with a geo address of -41.158938, 174.897314.

If I were do do a walk in that direction today I would start about 7.00 (sunrise is 7.30 today). First to drop from my 80 m asl to 50 m asl in less than 1 km. Then over the next 3 km left up to over 200 m asl, dropping back down to 100 m asl over 2.5 km and then to the 360 m asl over 2 km with a surface not quite as egrerious as that down from Alto del Perdon to Uterga. At the top (by the landing strip) I would have an uninterrupted view towards the South Pole, except for some slightly higher hills getting in the way. Then a leisurely stroll over 6 km back down to near sea level in the next valley and breakfast. Then I have a few choices (depending on wind direction and strength) of either up the mighty Awa'kai'ra'ngi (or Hutt River) to the Remu'taka Rail Trail and over to another very long wide valley or down river towards central Wellington.

The third of my garden images is detail of what I look after. My ragtag and bobtail of bits and pieces. The girl reading is my late wife's and the couple was a house warming gift for our first home together nearly 20 years ago.

Not, it's not fair. It is only because of my wife's illness eight years ago and her death five years ago that I can attribute my life being saved: from a constant weight well over 90 kg and sedentary life style to a constant weight of under 70 kg and very active life style. And the support that you, Rachel of @Kiwi-family, and others (like @VNwalking) have given by being members of this forum.

Kia kaha tatou (you all take care, be strong, get going when you can)

20200330_105542.jpg 20200330_105551.jpg20200330_105607.jpg

€60,-
@Kiwi-family , it is not fair. As I start this (11am, Monday) I should have landed at Auckland on the first leg of my 40 hour journey to my re-start point of Chaumont-en-haut-Marne.

On the other hand, given others have decided to cancel my outward bound flights, I am still at home.

I live in an apartment in a retirement village. For your "out-of-bedroom window" thread I faced east. For this thread I face the other way and have the advantage of a beautiful sunny day to take my photos.

The first picks up my bedroom on the right and the executive toy my youngest son made nearly 30 years ago. The village gardener looks after this part with the tree forming a magnificent bird hotel in the season.

The second swings left a little to pick up the brick paved front yard that I look after and my training hills in the distance. These are 300-400 metres (1000-1300 feet) above sea level (asl). We had a very prolonged dry, hot summer and the pasture (sheep, with real fleece) had turned lighter than usual: they are starting to green up now. There is a landing strip top left (747's and even A321's need not apply) with a geo address of -41.158938, 174.897314.

If I were do do a walk in that direction today I would start about 7.00 (sunrise is 7.30 today). First to drop from my 80 m asl to 50 m asl in less than 1 km. Then over the next 3 km left up to over 200 m asl, dropping back down to 100 m asl over 2.5 km and then to the 360 m asl over 2 km with a surface not quite as egrerious as that down from Alto del Perdon to Uterga. At the top (by the landing strip) I would have an uninterrupted view towards the South Pole, except for some slightly higher hills getting in the way. Then a leisurely stroll over 6 km back down to near sea level in the next valley and breakfast. Then I have a few choices (depending on wind direction and strength) of either up the mighty Awa'kai'ra'ngi (or Hutt River) to the Remu'taka Rail Trail and over to another very long wide valley or down river towards central Wellington.

The third of my garden images is detail of what I look after. My ragtag and bobtail of bits and pieces. The girl reading is my late wife's and the couple was a house warming gift for our first home together nearly 20 years ago.

Not, it's not fair. It is only because of my wife's illness eight years ago and her death five years ago that I can attribute my life being saved: from a constant weight well over 90 kg and sedentary life style to a constant weight of under 70 kg and very active life style. And the support that you, Rachel of @Kiwi-family, and others (like @VNwalking) have given by being members of this forum.

View attachment 72161 View attachment 72163View attachment 72164
Lovely pictures.
No, it isn’t fair, nothing is. (Imo).
Keep well, all of you .

the "yard" is used quite vaguely to refer to the property around the house in a residential neighbourhood
A “yard” in my case could refer to a couple of acres.
No - by my amateur definition of North American usage. It doesn't sound like it is in "a residential neighbourhood." You have a "property" of a couple of acres. (Or maybe an estate!)

From Wikipedia:

A yard is an area of land immediately adjacent to a building or a group of buildings. It may be either enclosed or open.[1] The word comes from the same linguistic root as the word garden and has many of the same meanings.

A number of derived words exist, usually tied to a particular usage or building type. Some may be archaic or in lesser use now. Examples of such words are: courtyard, barnyard, hopyard, graveyard, churchyard, brickyard, prison yard, railyard, junkyard and stableyard.

Of course I have no idea how this all relates to the measure of length (36")

Last edited:

€60,-
A “yard” in my case could refer to a couple of acres

A weekender my family owned when we had young children had a back yard of about half an acre - no worries with back-yard cricket there (once it was mown).

Your area fits the Google search description (see below) just as much as it fits my few square metres.

I have no idea what a yard is

See post #14 above. It is not a description how the land is used, but what is left over after you've built on residential land. And that well known authority on everything, Google search, has a straightforward description for back-yard (aka backyard and back yard).

If you live in a high rise you may struggle to fit the description to what you see around you. In which case look at #3 by @Bad Pilgrim.

Kia kaha

Alwyn
Thank you for your vulnerability in sharing with us. I feel like I have got to know you more - exactly what happens when we invite each other in and sit down to listen.

No - by my amateur definition of North American usage. It doesn't sound like it is in "a residential neighbourhood." You have a "property" of a couple of acres. (Or maybe an estate!)

From Wikipedia:

A yard is an area of land immediately adjacent to a building or a group of buildings. It may be either enclosed or open.[1] The word comes from the same linguistic root as the word garden and has many of the same meanings.

A number of derived words exist, usually tied to a particular usage or building type. Some may be archaic or in lesser use now. Examples of such words are: courtyard, barnyard, hopyard, graveyard, churchyard, brickyard, prison yard, railyard, junkyard and stableyard.

Of course I have no idea how this all relates to the measure of length (36")
Not an estate for sure, and our yard surely is an area of land adjacent to the buildings here, but is mostly just a large grassy area for elderly horses to eat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have no idea what a yard is 😁
A "yard" in America is the property surrounding our homes..usually located in a town or city. It can be smallish or up to about an acre. Anything larger is usually called the acreage you own. I think in England the word "garden" just means what we call our yard. We think of garden as a portion of our yard that is landscaped with flowers or vegetables.

EDIT- I just now see Cclearly has posted a definition of yard...I didn't start at the beginning of the thread, but this is my definition being raised in the midwest of USA.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today in the garden - blooms a plenty
To “Day” lilly aka an Iris Thanks @Rick of Rick and Peg
View attachment 72371
Bougainvillea - purple and red
View attachment 72387RosesView attachment 72373
Powderpuff tree
View attachment 72374

Jasmine in process of blooming
View attachment 72385
Majestic Beauty
View attachment 72386
Dianthus
View attachment 72378
Coral drift rose
View attachment 72380
Serena Japonica -Variegated Thousand Stars
View attachment 72381
Cactus
View attachment 72383
Gorgeous! Don't know how you take care of all that landscaping...especially with the injuries you have had. You are amazing.

Gorgeous! Don't know how you take care of all that landscaping...especially with the injuries you have had. You are amazing.
Thank you The homeowner association takes care of the grass and trimming the big stuff, I do the fine tuning, planting and training the plants into topiary or small pruning how I want them. It’s something to do keeps me busy. They call it therapy (occupational)

All this talk of gardens and pictures of beautifully flowering shrubs is making me long for my little space to green up and come into bloom. I fully appreciate that many of you are still buried under snow but still this year I am finding it an interminably long time to wait for more greenery and blooms. Here are some pics of my garden as I expect it to look in a few weeks.

This dear old, weatherbeaten fence is gone now; the neighbour removed it one day without a word of warning to anyone.

IMG_3213.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg

Perhaps I should post these pictures in the 'what keeps you going thread.'

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
...my Lockdown garden in France consists of everything I can see within a one kilometer radius of the house in which I am guest. Here, we are able to go for one hour walk each day, alone, provided one carries the obligatory form, an 'Attestation dérogatoire de déplacement', signed, dated, and with starting time .

It is springtime! Les pruniers d'ente are in blossom and at a certain hour, between the sinking of the sun and the rising of the moon when the hills turn silvery pink and the woods about the house merge in blue, chortling birds settle...

IMG_7309abc.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last week we looked out from each other’s bedroom windows. I thought it might be nice to share our gardens - especially for those who can’t get out into nature.....
Our garden is small but we do have a lazy bed (not in the photos), a pear tree and 2 apple trees as well as the loganberry, rosemary etc. The primroses are out and the day lilies have leaves. Just big enough to manage and enjoy.
The hill in the background is where we walk, and hope to when the access path dries up more. The other access is too narrow for some distance to give the required space between us and anyone we meet at present so we are walking the back lanes instead.
0669.JPG0670.JPG

This photo taken from the tip of the premises/garden looking at the river.
Today there is a lot of water on the ice as the sun is burning down ;-)

You could actually stand there in a t-shirt already if it was not for the wind today ...

In the summer, where I am standing now, is actually not a garden but quite boggy wetland, often flooded when the water levels are high.

IMG_1674.jpgIMG_1675.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wayfarer, a man after my own heart.
I miss my garden in NZ, even 20 years after leaving it. But here there are all manner of wonders. So I should not complain. I do sometimes wonder who is taking care of my huge and much-loved Cecile Brunner rose, though - or whether someone chopped it down...

Here we have enormous water lillies that bloom at night:
Today's waterlily garden (2).JPG

This photo taken from the tip of the premises/garden looking at the river.
Today there is a lot of water on the ice as the sun is burning down ;-)

You could actually stand there in a t-shirt already if it was not for the wind today ...

In the summer, where I am standing now, is actually not a garden but quite boggy wetland, often flooded when the water levels are high.

View attachment 72716View attachment 72717
...and when the snow has passed and migrating birds appear, will there be multe bær and blåbær ripening in the bogs beneath the midnight sun?

...and when the snow has passed and migrating birds appear, will there be multe bær and blåbær ripening in the bogs beneath the midnight sun?

In walking distance we have plenty of both :). Here in Sweden we call them hjortron and blåbär (cloudberries and billberries). Also lingonberry which stays fine under the snow and last year's berries can still be harvested this year right after the snow is gone.
However around the house we have mostly masses of wild raspberries ... and on the stretch of land on the picture even wild arctic raspberries (åkerbär) which are quite rare in their undomesticated version.

The first migrating birds are already around. As our place on the large river is a landmark for migrating birds with plenty of food, we get quite crowded with all kinds of birds.

The midnights sun will rise around June 6 and set about a month later. Days are getting longer and longer quickly now and already in early May the nights are very bright :cool:

In walking distance we have plenty of both :). Here in Sweden we call them hjortron and blåbär (cloudberries and billberries). Also lingonberry which stays fine under the snow and last year's berries can still be harvested this year right after the snow is gone.
However around the house we have mostly masses of wild raspberries ... and on the stretch of land on the picture even wild arctic raspberries (åkerbär) which are quite rare in their undomesticated version.

The first migrating birds are already around. As our place on the large river is a landmark for migrating birds with plenty of food, we get quite crowded with all kinds of birds.

The midnights sun will rise around June 6 and set about a month later. Days are getting longer and longer quickly now and already in early May the nights are very bright :cool:

How serene...

Last week we looked out from each other’s bedroom windows. I thought it might be nice to share our gardens - especially for those who can’t get out into nature.
I’ll start at my letterbox (with its tiles from Santiago)...
View attachment 72089
We’ll pass my newly planted brassicas next to the rogue strawberry and rhubarb-from-a-friend in a spot that captures winter sun
View attachment 72090
Then towards the front door - past the boysenberry, blueberries and mint on your left...
View attachment 72091
...and veges and flowers to the right
View attachment 72092 View attachment 72094 View attachment 72095
Round the corner we have the herb garden (next to the outdoor pizza oven we built - from garden to plate in seconds)
View attachment 72100
If we walk down to the main vege plot we see this:
View attachment 72097
And then the sad vege garden, almost bedding down for winter
View attachment 72098
Although we are in the heart of suburbia, we have lots of trees including food-giving ones: apples, plums, feijoas, guava, mandarins, lemons, lime - so very blessed.

Living in a flat, two floors up and no lift, one has to be inventive! I have a superb view over the park however. This morning I donned my rucksack, (nothing in it but its the thought that counts!) and did at least half a kilometre down the hall and round the living room. I popped in to my bedroom and told it I have a reservation and was assured I had a bed for the night.

Exhausted by my travails I popped into the kitchen for a glass of vino and a snack. It was after all, ten a.m and I had been up since six thirty. I hung up my mochila and am now perusing the forum. I think a light lunch and an early siesta could be the order of the day :) I think I have reached the eccentric stage!

Stay safe.

The Malingerer

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.