• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let’s talk budgets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Quite amusing to read another thread running - 11 day tours of the Camino de Santiago, including hotels and most meals - a mere $US6995....

But they have expert guides there to point out the path. I mean, not every huge, blatantly obvious, yellow arrow can be seen by everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've noticed from other posts that 25 euros a day per person above the lodging costs is typical so 35 euros a day if staying in albergues seems to be right for estimating your costs. But for budgeting I would add about 20% more to be sure you had funds for unexpected events.

I've noticed from other posts that 25 euros a day per person above the lodging costs is typical so 35 euros a day if staying in albergues seems to be right for estimating your costs. But for budgeting I would add about 20% more to be sure you had funds for unexpected events.
I agree you do need a contingency fund just in case of injury or illness that might cause you to stay a few nights here and there in private accommodation.
PS. @Julia Mumford not absolutely sure what you mean by half decent. As a general rule I preferred the municipals and parrochials. ;););)

Albergues don’t charge more or less based on comfort. You will find wonderful albergues charging less than some where the treatment is not so nice. Because it’s not just the building and amenities that matter, but the treatment, then welcome.

35€ is comfortable for me: 10 for a bed, 10 for an evening meal, 3 for breakfast, 5 for lunch. Then a bit extra for a drink or second coffee, and for a stop at the local farmacia for Voltaren.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like many of us are tracking along the same lines, I did it earlier this year for about 35 euro/4o USD. I did not include the night at the Pardor in Santiago or the Spa in Astorga, that would have exploded the numbers (but it was worth it). We did stay an extra day in Burgos, Leon and Astorga. I paid as little as 5 euro and as much as 12 euro at private albergues. We were not on a budget but we also did not see the need to stay in anything but Albergues whenever we could. On several occasions, we were able to get a room with 3 beds for 30 euro/3 but we had our own bath and usually more room. I asked some college students what they spent, they budgeted 30 USD but averaged 25 staying in municipals most of the time. I hope this helps.

I budgeted 40euro a day and have tracked my cost each day and I would say that if you stay in average municipal and private Albergue's and eat normal pilgrim meals or such a 35 euro budget is very realistic. Know that travelcost such as train, bus or taxi would put a dent in the budget. Have fun

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I budgeted way above the €35 mark, I just thought it best to aim high and see what happens, so I went for €50 per day. I have to say I didn't want for anything on my journey and even stayed in the odd hotel (not a parador).
I didn't do a daily count but marked what I took from the ATM's and what I had when I left Santiago to fly home, Looking at my diary of the camino I spent €32 per day over the 42 day journey, gosh was I surprised, where in this world can you get an experience like this for so little.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[QUOTE="HedaP, post:
PS. @Julia Mumford not absolutely sure what you mean by half decent. As a general rule I preferred the municipals and parrochials. ;););)[/QUOTE]

I once stayed at a €5 albergue in Nareja and the beds were grim.

43 for me but wanted nothing ate out every nite although my one communal dinner was amazing. Included tattoo and hotels in Burgos Leon and Santiago

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Just in case you’re interested, cooking for yourself and buying breakfasts/lunches in supermercados, and seeking out the 5-6euro albergues can drop your daily cost significantly.
As can walking in Portugal, even if you eat out all the time!

I have to mention in my opinion take a wallet. I think I lost money because I just put my cash in shirt pockets, back pockets, pack pockets, jacket pockets .. When I thought I should have cash couldn’t find any. In other words I think I dropped cash. I only stayed at alburgue s& ate only pilgrim meals. Other than my 3 beers a day & breakfast. My total bill $2460+ $2000 airfare for 42 days. Next time a wallet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had a money belt that I used as a wallet, I rarely wore it, only when I was wearing my running shorts while my cargo shorts were being washed. It did allow me to keep all my valuable together (passport, credit/debit card). If you look at my profile picture, I carried my money belt/wallet as well as my credential in my right cargo pocket (velcro/zipper secured), my phone (which I also rarely used) in my left and my cash in my right pocket. I could tell every morning or at any time if I had all my stuff just by patting my two pockets which made early morning departures a breeze. They were also secure because they were never out of my sight. On the Camino, being organized is a must I think.

One thing that I find helpful - I have deep pockets in my hiking skirt and one has a cloth loop sewn inside it. My wallet has a keyring sewn into it and I attach my wallet to the cloth loop using a small carabina. I leave it attached at all times, unless going through security at an airport. Easy to access when needed, but ensures (a) I don't accidentally leave it anywhere and (b) it is difficult for a pickpocket to steal.

It would be easy to sew a cloth loop onto the inside of most pockets.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
35/day you could actually drink "good" wine every night

Well I splashed out on a €3 bottle of wine one night at a communal meal others paid €1 for the bottle they brought and it was far nicer. So mush for Mr splashed the cash!

Looks like many of us are tracking along the same lines, I did it earlier this year for about 35 euro/4o USD. I did not include the night at the Pardor in Santiago or the Spa in Astorga, that would have exploded the numbers (but it was worth it). We did stay an extra day in Burgos, Leon and Astorga. I paid as little as 5 euro and as much as 12 euro at private albergues. We were not on a budget but we also did not see the need to stay in anything but Albergues whenever we could. On several occasions, we were able to get a room with 3 beds for 30 euro/3 but we had our own bath and usually more room. I asked some college students what they spent, they budgeted 30 USD but averaged 25 staying in municipals most of the time. I hope this helps.

Those were helpful observations. You mentioned extra days in Burgos and Leon. I thought the auberges let you remain for only one night. How did you manage an extra day? Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently (Apr/May) took 8-soldiers to walk the Camino and we budgeted 35-Euro per day for accommodations and food, which worked out well. I've attached our sample budget, which we used to determine our project costing per-person, which I always rounded up; you can disregard the other info as it may not apply. As a note regarding flights, it shows $1,100 Cdn but was actually $975.29 (Kingston, Toronto, Madrid, Pamplona - Santiago, Madrid, Toronto and return to Kingston). We were unable to get a flight into Biarritz, but Pamplona was very convenient as well. Additionally, the extra cost for Orisson was for refreshments :D HTHs

Attachments

• 001 - Royal Camino Budget Example.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 29
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My wife and I average about 75 to 85 Euro a day for the two of us. We do tend to stay almost exclusively in private rooms, pensions or hotels when the other two options are not available.
We enjoy our own space at night, but also realize that not everyone walking the Camino is well off financially. So we can not in good conscience stay in bunk rooms in albergues when many pilgrims truly need the cheaper lodgings due to tight budgets.
Just as an aside we did occasionally talk to a few pilgrims that were obviously very well off, but for some reason were feeling driven to walk the Camino as cheaply as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently (Apr/May) took 8-soldiers to walk the Camino and we budgeted 35-Euro per day for accommodations and food, which worked out well. I've attached our sample budget, which we used to determine our project costing per-person, which I always rounded up; you can disregard the other info as it may not apply. As a note regarding flights, it shows $1,100 Cdn but was actually $975.29 (Kingston, Toronto, Madrid, Pamplona - Santiago, Madrid, Toronto and return to Kingston). We were unable to get a flight into Biarritz, but Pamplona was very convenient as well. Additionally, the extra cost for Orisson was for refreshments :D HTHs
It was not until I returned I found for those of us living close to Canada the benefit of crossing the border & driving to the nearest large city savings 50-75%.
Keith

Those were helpful observations. You mentioned extra days in Burgos and Leon. I thought the auberges let you remain for only one night. How did you manage an extra day? Thanks.
We stayed in hotels those nights although some private Albergues will let you stay longer.

My wife and I average about 75 to 85 Euro a day for the two of us. We do tend to stay almost exclusively in private rooms, pensions or hotels when the other two options are not available.
We enjoy our own space at night, but also realize that not everyone walking the Camino is well off financially. So we can not in good conscience stay in bunk rooms in albergues when many pilgrims truly need the cheaper lodgings due to tight budgets.
Just as an aside we did occasionally talk to a few pilgrims that were obviously very well off, but for some reason were feeling driven to walk the Camino as cheaply as possible.
We too tended to stay in private rooms and tried to book a private room in an albergue for 40euros a night. That did not always happen. We travel off peak times and sometimes we would stay in the dorms for abt 10euros pp but did this only when there were a few or almost no one was staying in the establishment. Sleep was important too us so we would not compromise noise for price! We rarely drank the wine, so we often ordered off the menu of the day or a particular dish. Better quality of food! We ate a small breakfast before we left early in the morning (Self prepared), another breakfast abt two hours into our day, a lunch around 2-2:30p and a lite supper in our room which we bought at a supermarket. The total cost was circa 80 euros per day.

Art, while albergues only let you spend one night unless you are ill with doctor’s note etc., those who want to stay an extra day in town typically opt for a hotel or pension, of not for the two days, at least for the second one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't forget the expenses of airfares, transport to from the airport and food when travelling to and from the Camino. Airports tend to be expensive places to eat and those days will cost over the 35 budget.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back