• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let's talk money...

Melamann

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de plata (seville to salamannca)
Hi friends,

I'm walking the Via de Plata (Seville only up to Salamanca) in April. I'm curious what people have found to be the best way to carry/withdraw money. Right now I'm planning to bring my debit and credit cards and have about 150-200 euro on me at any given time and then just withdraw from ATMs as needed. Thoughts?

Also, carrying money/passports/credit cards: is the general consensus to wear a money belt/liner?

Gonna throw in another question while I'm here...anyone ever bring an Ipad or a tablet on the trail? I'd like to blog along the way, but I'm worried about it being stolen/damaged. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Melamann! I carry a debit card and carry around 200 Euros in cash, which is enough to tide me over until the next cash point. Cash, credit cards, passport etc keep on you at all times, even take into the shower with you in a waterproof bag.

I would not bring an Ipad or tablet (too heavy), though I see many people do, but if you do, do not leave it unattended.

When are you walking the VDLP? I get to Seville April 4th, but begin walking April 10th.

Buen Camino

Davey

I draw the maximum that my card will allow. This is to avoid user fees.

I carry my documents and money in the top of my pack stowed in ziploc bags to keep them dry. When the pack comes off my back, the documents and money get moved to my pockets ... every time. I find this helps me remember to be conscious of where my shiny stuff is.

I have a password on my tablet. Go ahead and steal it for whatever use you will have for it then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Melamann! I carry a debit card and carry around 200 Euros in cash, which is enough to tide me over until the next cash point. Cash, credit cards, passport etc keep on you at all times, even take into the shower with you in a waterproof bag.

I would not bring an Ipad or tablet (too heavy), though I see many people do, but if you do, do not leave it unattended.

When are you walking the VDLP? I get to Seville April 4th, but begin walking April 10th.

Buen Camino

Davey

Hi Davey!

Great advice. Would never think to bring it in the shower with me, but yes, makes perfect sense!

Oh no! I think we'll be just missing each other! My friend and I arrive in Seville on March 30th and we plan to begin walking April 4th.

I draw the maximum that my card will allow. This is to avoid user fees.

I carry my documents and money in the top of my pack stowed in ziploc bags to keep them dry. When the pack comes off my back, the documents and money get moved to my pockets ... every time. I find this helps me remember to be conscious of where my shiny stuff is.

I have a password on my tablet. Go ahead and steal it for whatever use you will have for it then.

Thanks for the input! Will definitely keep it in mind.

Hi Davey!

Great advice. Would never think to bring it in the shower with me, but yes, makes perfect sense!

Oh no! I think we'll be just missing each other! My friend and I arrive in Seville on March 30th and we plan to begin walking April 4th.

Well I am unlikely to catch you up, but have a great time!

Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Money - Perfect. Have money in 3 places 1) moneybelt (Cash, Card and Passport) 2) wallet for daily use (Cash only) 3) Backpack (Card for backup) - I keep the moneybelt and wallet with me at all times, even in the shower.

Electronics - I am a big geek and the more the better but I do keep all my devices with me at all times. (I can't afford to replace them)

This Camino I took a iPhone 7+, Yi Camera (GoPro knockoff), and iPad mini and mini folding keyboard. Along with a 20,000 mAh battery and a 12,000mAh battery. All the cables and 1 usb ipad charger (for faster charging!). My plan was to only plug in the battery backups, then I could walk away and not be concerned about my iPhone going missing while charging. While I was walking I would charge all my devices from the battery backups. (This worked very well!)

I only walked a week, but I traveled in hostels for 3. So the big surprise was I used my iPhone for everything - I pulled out the iPad mini once, and the keyboard twice. I was shocked at how I constantly gravitated to the iPhone even for long writing projects. I also never needed the second battery backup, even though I was constantly using my phone for GPS tracking (every minute) and maps and music or audio books, and maps, and taking photos, posting to the blog and maps!

I charged the battery backup in the hostels and kept a closer eye on my iPhone and I charged my phone about 4 times a day from the mophie XXL, it worked beautifully!

I am heading back in late March for 3 more weeks and my revised plan is: iPhone 7+ and Yi Camera. With the 1 Mophie XXL 20,000 mAh battery. Fewer cables and the 1 usb ipad charger.

Enjoy your trip, Buen Camino!

Kathy

I blog on WordPress, and they have an iPhone app. Works great for blogging while on the route. That saves me the weight of a tablet. (Altho tbt an iPhone 7 is almost as big as a tablet.) You could see if your blog site has an app.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I carried, in my pants pocket, a 7" tablet. Had it in a ziplock bag with my guide book and credential.
Went with me everywhere.
Even into the shower cubicle. Not a problem.
Regards
Gerard

Hi friends,

I'm walking the Via de Plata (Seville only up to Salamanca) in April. I'm curious what people have found to be the best way to carry/withdraw money. Right now I'm planning to bring my debit and credit cards and have about 150-200 euro on me at any given time and then just withdraw from ATMs as needed. Thoughts?

Also, carrying money/passports/credit cards: is the general consensus to wear a money belt/liner?

Gonna throw in another question while I'm here...anyone ever bring an Ipad or a tablet on the trail? I'd like to blog along the way, but I'm worried about it being stolen/damaged. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks!
Hi Melamann, Your plan for money is exactly what I did, but I did not have a money belt and it was awkward always having to go into a cafe, etc. with your money in your backpack. I kept it and my passport in a plastic baggy in my cargo pants pocket when I could. I did buy a money belt when I got home for my next pilgrimage.

Charles Schwab debit card as they refund ALL fees once a month and I've used it all over Spain on all the routes with no issues.
300 Euros at a time
ATM in pretty much every larger village
I ALWAYS wear a money belt or hidden pocket for my card/passport.
I also carry a xerox of my passport in a different spot.
If you carry a phone it's a good idea to take photos of your passport and debit card.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are also wrist bands with zippered pockets.
Small but enough room to carry a few euro bills.
I'm sure you can find them Amazon

I usually go the max (typically 400 euro) to avoid transaction fees on atms. Also nothing worse then going on a stretch when atms are not available or off the air... yes it does happen. I use one of those hanging toiletry/organizing bags you can order from aliexpress for around 5 dollars, which is great because it has a zipper mesh bag to store cash and passport along with pockets for toiletries and a hook to hang on the inside of the shower door. I carry Samsung Tab A 8 inch tablet which is incredibly light and thin, with a 12 hour battery life. It's relatively cheap and I can load all my maps and books, do email, surf the net etc. With the on board GPS you can offline use Google maps with KML files of the VdP route (found on the net) and never get lost or track your progress.

May see you along the VdP. I'm starting my walking on the 4th too... just deciding what route I'm going to take (Norte, Frances, VdP) and will figure it out when I land in Madrid. Whichever is sunny and winner of the flip of the coin :)

My valuables - passport, credencial, cash, cards and phone - all go in ziplock bags and stay in the zipped pockets of my trousers. Easy to access and I can quickly reassure myself they are safe. I do not use a money belt or neck pouch. While I might absent-mindedly put down a pouch or moneybelt somewhere and walk away without it I am not yet gaga enough to stroll away without my trousers. I keep a small reserve of cash (about 100 euro) and a credit card in my rucksack just in case of theft or loss. I also keep a photocopy of my passport details page and travel insurance certificate there with this emergency stash.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm with @Bradypus - for the absent-minded me, pockets work best. My walking skirt has deep pockets with internal zippered pockets with the zippers going the "wrong " way - pull up to open, and down to close. Very clever. It needs two hands to open - one to hold the skirt taut, the other to pull the zip up. It would be hard for someone to open without me noticing.

Just a note about Spanish ATMs. Many of the banks charge a fee that will add up over time. I have found that the banks Bankia and Caixa do not charge any fees for international cards (I have used visa and mastercard). This is my recent experience in Valencia, but I assume it's likely to be the same throughout Spain.

I am currently trying new banks to find more that don't charge. I know that Santander and Sabedell do charge a fee, usually a couple of Euros.

As for blogging, yea I use the Wordpress App and have mini foldable keyboard, so I find it pretty easy to blog daily. I wouldn't worry too much about security in Spain, but of course things can go missing in Albergues when left unattended.

I'm with @Bradypus - for the absent-minded me, pockets work best. My walking skirt has deep pockets with internal zippered pockets with the zippers going the "wrong " way - pull up to open, and down to close. Very clever. It needs two hands to open - one to hold the skirt taut, the other to pull the zip up. It would be hard for someone to open without me noticing.
Do you know the brand name of that walking shirt? Sounds like I need it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the input! Will definitely keep it in mind.
Ipads are not big; if you are carrying it you can most likely tuck it into the bag with your clean, dry clothes that you're taking to the shower. I see above that you're walking with a friend. (AKA 'buddy", as in the buddy system that used to be taught in Scouts.) If you are indeed traveling with a buddy, you can take turns taking showers, and your bunks will likely be close together and since you came in together and are a group there should be no problem. (She says with hope in her heart) Re the occasionally heard advice about sleeping with the PP and camera, I found that tucking the camera and the belly bag into the bottom of my sleeping bag kept the weight of the bag off my (at that time) very sore toe. As well as keeping me from leaving it behind!
Re the weight of the Ipad, you can load up your pack with sleep bag, clothes, etc, Ipad, camera, belly bag, etc etc and put it onto your bathroom scale. Let the totality of the pile be your guide! (You should have a target weight in mind for this trick. And don't panic and leave your fleece at home because of the scale readout. Been there, done that, had to buy another one at Caminoteca.)
Buen camino.

"]I'm with @Bradypus - for the absent-minded me, pockets work best. My walking skirt has deep pockets with internal zippered pockets"

Kanga, sounds like a Macabe skirt. I learned of Macabe skirts on this forum & bought/ trained in one for a 3 week CF walk May '16. Liked that darn skirt so well it was in 18 out of 21 days of pix! One of my favorite things on skirt is huge pockets with secure zip pocket on right. Always kept my "precious cargo" there in zip lock baggie. Stuffing those pockets with all manner of necessities was very handy but quite unflattering to the figure. Luckily I'm not a fashionista.

I too found it easy to use the ATMs and I too drew the maximum each time. A warning however, avoid using ATMs on Friday afternoon and weekends. If the machine eats your card, and one did eat mine, you want the bank to be open so you are able to get the card back. So that also then goes without saying, only use ATMs that are inside or in the wall of a bank, and only while they are open. I also carried two ATM cards from two different banks. That way if one was eaten or compromised, I had another. Also be sure your debit card has a four digit PIN. European banks do not recognize 6 digit PINs.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi friends,

Many thanks!
Melamann, if you have concerns about your iPad, I took a tiny digital voice recorder and had it 'at the ready' for any thoughts that were worth recording. But mostly I used it for the sounds of the Camino. So glad I did this. I can switch it on at any time and go back in time...Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi friends,

Many thanks!
I brought an i-pad mini and was glad I did.

Do you know the brand name of that walking shirt? Sounds like I need it!

It's a Macabi. I've just bought a new one, the knee length. They are not fashion statements, but work for me.

This summer will be my second time in Spain.
What I do is start buying Euros 4 or 5 months ahead of time to average out the exchange rate. I buy them in NYC and get a much better rate than your average bank.
Not sure what options most of you have?
But my research has showed that your local bank rips you off.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I bought a travel vest (exofficio) with zippered pockets on the inside of the vest. There is one inside big pocket on the back where I kept our passports, tickets, and most of the money. My billfold was in an inside side pocket that zipped. It also has an inside pocket for my phone. --- It was cool Spring weather, so I could wear the vest almost all the time. The times where I did get too hot, I rolled up the vest and strapped it on my pack. I also slept with the pack in my sleeping bag. -- As others have written, make sure you keep money in different places. For me money and an emergency credit card went in two places in my pack, my vest, my pocket, my son's pack and in my son't pocket. -- I have had no issues of anything being stolen from me on the Camino, but I have been pickpocketed and mugged in other places. -- I did not carry a tablet, as I wanted to be off the web while walking. I did carry my iphone, but used it only as a phone. I also carried a kindle paperwhite, with no web browser. I just kept that in my pack, and never had a problem.

This summer will be my second time in Spain.
What I do is start buying Euros 4 or 5 months ahead of time to average out the exchange rate. I buy them in NYC and get a much better rate than your average bank.
Not sure what options most of you have?
But my research has showed that your local bank rips you off.
I just wait until I'm in Spain and get Euros from ATMs. Usually use an ATM at the airport. I use a Schwab account and they refund all ATM fees. I carry a second debit card from another bank as a back up.

Also be sure your debit card has a four digit PIN. European banks do not recognize 6 digit PINs.
I know that you are just passing on this advice that you have heard but if the advice was valid many years ago, it certainly no longer is. I've been using debit cards in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France and Germany for 5 years and the cards from several US/Singapore banks worked in a variety of international / local bank ATMs and I never had a problem with 6 digit codes. Many (most? / all?) European banks issue cards with 4 digit PINs but that has nothing to do with their ATMs getting your bank to confirm your PIN. To be fair and offer full disclosure, I have always used bank ATMs, not the very old private ones that you can find in some stores. There were always enough bank ATMs that I never had to try those private ones which, I have heard (only heard, NOT verified), charge excessive fees or conversion rates.

My apologies to those reading this who have seen my post several times before but I am just trying to kill off this legend, at least with pilgrims.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back