• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let's talk waist packs!

NadineK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Hi fellow pilgrims! Does anyone out there use a fanny pack/bumbag when walking the Camino? (well, I know some of you do, I've seen them out there!) I'm looking to add one to my Camino setup, and it seems like it could be super convenient to stash the things I might need throughout the day inside- money, of course, but also credential, little tube of sunscreen, a snack, tissues, etc. I've walked a number of Camino routes and don't mind swinging off my pack to access things from inside, but I'm thinking this could be something new to try!

So I'm just curious if you have any brands/models that you love, what your thoughts are about size (how small is too small, how big is too big, though of course I know it's all totally dependent on the individual).

Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi fellow pilgrims! Does anyone out there use a fanny pack/bumbag when walking the Camino? (well, I know some of you do, I've seen them out there!) I'm looking to add one to my Camino setup, and it seems like it could be super convenient to stash the things I might need throughout the day inside- money, of course, but also credential, little tube of sunscreen, a snack, tissues, etc. I've walked a number of Camino routes and don't mind swinging off my pack to access things from inside, but I'm thinking this could be something new to try!

So I'm just curious if you have any brands/models that you love, what your thoughts are about size (how small is too small, how big is too big, though of course I know it's all totally dependent on the individual).

Thanks in advance!
I used a ZPack Multipack on four Caminos and it has worked well for me -
-not too big and has good flexibility as to how it can be worn.
Only disadvantage I've experienced is that it's not waterproof, though easy enough to use a plastic bag inside of the Multipack.

Nothing makes a person look more like a tourist than a fanny pack. Sorry for my sarcasm, but then anyone on the Camino is probably a tourist. I have never carried one and never will. I believe pants pockets large enough to carry your money, wallet, passport, etc. is a reasonable deterrent for a pickpocket or a creeps in an albergue. No one is going to stick a hand into my front pocket but they can easily slash and grab the money belt off my waist.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Only disadvantage I've experienced is that it's not waterproof, though easy enough to use a plastic bag inside of the Multipack.
Thanks for linking to this video, very informative! And that's a good point about whether or not a bag is waterproofed... it would certainly help if it was! But a ziplock bag inside is a nice solution.

Thanks for linking to this video, very informative! And that's a good point about whether or not a bag is waterproofed... it would certainly help if it was! But a ziplock bag inside is a nice solution.
one further thought should you decide to go this route. i purchased an extra set of straps so I could quickly/easily convert it to a satchel for use after the days walk.

Nothing makes a person look more like a tourist than a fanny pack. Sorry for my sarcasm, but then anyone on the Camino is probably a tourist. I have never carried one and never will. I believe pants pockets large enough to carry your money, wallet, passport, etc. is a reasonable deterrent for a pickpocket or a creeps in an albergue. No one is going to stick a hand into my front pocket but they can easily slash and grab the money belt off my waist.
I appreciate this perspective... I'm thinking mostly about the utility of one for walking during the day, when I'm not generally concerned about theft. I've seen some models that double as a cross-body, which seems handy for post-walk wearing.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I used a Lowe Alpine belt pack for my caminos and found it very handy. My valuables were easy to take with me if I went out or to the shower and I clipped to my bunk at night, next to my pillow. It was rather snug for what I wanted and last year I bought an Atom Pack Roo (UK). I haven't yet walked a camino with it but use it every day anyway. My phone pops in the front and is quite secure but instantly accessible and there's plenty of room inside without it being bulky. I have the 2.5l zero waste version, made from scrap material, it weights 100g. It is very soft and squashy so I zip my jacket over the top if it rains. Apart from convenience I prefer the weight on my low tummy to thigh pockets. Personally I don't feel it to be any less secure than pockets.

Attachments

• Atom Packs Roo.jpg
    Atom Packs Roo.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 196
YES! I found that I needed one (my undergarment bag for important documents was sweaty and gross and I wanted more items like my phone and kleenex readily accessible because I wear walking skirts without many pockets) so I purchased it in a store in Burgos -- it had no brand name, but it was everything I needed. IMHO, ask yourself practical questions about what you will store in the pockets and numbers of pockets you need (I liked knowing which items were in which pocket to keep stuff organized and readily available), and if weight is an issue to you, and if you like certain types of clasps, etc. There are many good ones out there, but I personally focused on numbers of pockets and zippers, and whether it is comfortable. I just purchased one off of Amazon -- no particular brand. It's not large, but it does have 3 pockets which meets my needs. I definitely liked having all of my valuables and necessaries close at hand so I could run into the bar for a loo break without worrying about grabbing them out of my backpack. Good luck with your search!!

Hi Nadine,

Mine is the one in the picture below, I find the picture by searching "Grab Bag". Is small, lightweight and it do is job to contains my essentials of the day, weight 104g not waterproof. But ziplocs does :). You can attach it on the straps on the backpack, there is one quick release when you want to remove your pack. The long strap you see on the picture go inside a compartiment in the bag and cannot be lost. So when the walk of the day is finished you remove it from the other strap of the Backpack, you pull out this long strap and you can transport it on your shoulder.

8fda3fc3e936a84d45abf61af0908d78.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I agree with Don.

Discretion is protection. I have traveled the world, often alone, but always discreetly. My kit consisted of medium priced good quality equipment but no fanny pack nor camera bag, nothing fancy, no glitz, nothing that anyone would want to take or steal.

Wherever one is discretion and no bling are good protection.

I have not camino'd so take this with as much salt as it needs.

I appreciate what biarritzdon and mspath are saying. I'm all for not looking like a tourist/target, and not being indiscreet. But I am going to look like someone who has enough cash to walk a camino no matter the backpack or clothes or... I also kinda hate what fanny waist packs/slings look like. But I need/want to come up with a solution for something to carry my frequent needful things so they're *on* me and easily accessible when the pack is off.

I'll probably be wearing a macabi skirt so I'll have some real estate in those pockets. But that doesn't solve for when I'm in the shower or asleep (since I doubt I'll sleep in the skirt). And I'm planning to bring a second skirt that packs down tiny and light but the pockets are, too.

I'm currently considering a small, minimal fanny waist pack from REI (which isn't on the website now but this is similar), just big enough for passport (because I'll need that daily, right?), credential, cellphone, a tissue, and a coin purse. Needful things that I'll access when I have the backpack with me, like sunscreen, lip balm and snacks will go in the hip belt or macabi pockets. Valuables will go in a money belt &or in a secret homemade pocket in the pack (a la Counting Everything).

Am I overthinking this? I'd love suggestions on non-waist pack options, and perhaps it should be its own thread so I'm not hijacking this one.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do smile when someone starts a discussion about fanny packs, presumably without knowing that 'fanny' for a significant proportion of forum members refers to a quite different part of a woman's anatomy than it does in the US in particular :rolleyes:. That and bonking!

I prefer to use a small crossbody bag. I put it on before my backpack, and it stays there all day.
The one that I use is from Baggallini and converts to a waist bag.
BTW I prefer the term waist bag to fanny pack or bum bag, because it doesn't contain words that may be offensive to some English speakers. 😉

During past caminos I have seen multitudes of backpacks; usually far too loaded and resembling that of Father Christmas but without any cheery 'ho-ho-ho'. However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Credencial, national passport, smartphone, phone charger, credit card, some cash, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I think the rucksack’s a bit of a bigger giveaway Don. Using a waist pack is probably 99th on the list of the top hundred ways to spot that someone’s not Spanish.

I had a thread a few years ago, using the term “waist pack” so as to avoid the bad connotation for our down under amigos.

I understand the objections, but I have walked 20 caminos with one and it works perfectly for me. I would never walk without one, kind of like the electric coil. ;)

Thanks to helpful forum members, I was able to find the exact model I loved so dearly. But it is now unavailable — High Sierra Lumbar pack.

But @Camino Chrissy posted a link to the one I would have bought if I hadn’t been able to replace the High Sierra model. It looks very similar.

I carry all my essentials in that pack (passport, credencial, credit cards, cash) as well as sun lotion, lip gloss, a spoon, my phone, glasses, sunglasses. I have it with me at all times. I have a 1/2 liter water bottle in one of the pockets, and carry a liter with me in the side pocket of my backpack.

It is bigger than what I need, but I like having two compartments, plus a little pocket in the bigger compartment. By now it’s second nature so I know exactly what goes in which compartment. Not having stuff jammed in tight makes it much easier to get what I want quickly and without pulling out all the contents.

Good luck with you quest for the perfect accessory.

During past caminos I have seen multitudes of backpacks; usually far too loaded and resembling that of Father Christmas but without any cheery 'ho-ho-ho'. However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Credencial, national passport, smartphone, phone charger, credit card, some cash, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!
On my first Camino I was occasionally in company, but where possible upwind, of a Spanish peregrino with a similar attitude to his luggage. He was known to all and sundry as ‘El hombre que huele de cabra.’

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks in advance!
I’ve said this before, and I’ll no doubt say it again.

IF you’re going to adopt a different way of carrying your phone, wallet, purse, essential medication and so on, whilst on Camino as opposed to when you’re at home then start doing it for a couple of weeks before you go.

You really need to develop the innate feeling that ‘something’s missing’ when you walk a couple of steps and your (e.g.) waist-pack’s not attached. If it’s a novel experience you simply will not have developed the sixth-sense.

Somewhere in posts passim I recount the tale of me overtaking a motor scooter in Turkey whilst on foot in pursuit of the minibus taxi which still contained my wife’s waist pack which had departed before she declared the loss. I could sprint in those days and it still damn-near killed me. These days I’d just order a beer and phone the Embassy.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll no doubt say it again.

IF you’re going to adopt a different way of carrying your phone, wallet, purse, essential medication and so on, whilst on Camino as opposed to when you’re at home then start doing it for a couple of weeks before you go
That's the reason that I use the small crossbody bag. It's what I use at home.

My waist pack for my Camino was a Moment Fanny Sling (yes that is what it is named). It was nicely sized and carried my camera (Ricoh GRiii), cell phone, face masks and small sundries such as maps, mints, snack bars, torn pages from my guide for the day, etc.... If you use add on lenses for the cell phone they have little storage slots for them (Moment makes such lenses). It works as a cross body bag when you don't want to wear it around your waist. It fit nicely below the waist belt of my back pack.

https://www.shopmoment.com/products/fanny-sling/2020-black (also found on Amazon)

Me too used a hip-bag on my Camino.

Built in bootle-holders for 2 pcs. of 0.5l-Bottles.
On this Pic you can see it:
Fanny-Pack.jpg
It was holding: money, water, camera, phone, Credit- and debitcard, powerbank, charger, cables, the pilgrims passport, pen and sometime fruits. Had bought it on ebay for ~10€. I was happy to walk with it, it was very useful for the quick access to the stored items.

Last edited:
I do smile when someone starts a discussion about fanny packs, presumably without knowing that 'fanny' for a significant proportion of forum members refers to a quite different part of a woman's anatomy than it does in the US in particular :rolleyes:. That and bonking!

Seems like I've committed a faux pas, thank you for the heads ups and I even managed to figure out how to edit the title of this thread!! Waist pack it is ;)

I had a thread a few years ago, using the term “waist pack” so as to avoid the bad connotation for our down under amigos.

I understand the objections, but I have walked 20 caminos with one and it works perfectly for me. I would never walk without one, kind of like the electric coil. ;)

Thanks to helpful forum members, I was able to find the exact model I loved so dearly. But it is now unavailable — High Sierra Lumbar pack.

But @Camino Chrissy posted a link to the one I would have bought if I hadn’t been able to replace the High Sierra model. It looks very similar.

I carry all my essentials in that pack (passport, credencial, credit cards, cash) as well as sun lotion, lip gloss, a spoon, my phone, glasses, sunglasses. I have it with me at all times. I have a 1/2 liter water bottle in one of the pockets, and carry a liter with me in the side pocket of my backpack.

It is bigger than what I need, but I like having two compartments, plus a little pocket in the bigger compartment. By now it’s second nature so I know exactly what goes in which compartment. Not having stuff jammed in tight makes it much easier to get what I want quickly and without pulling out all the contents.

Thanks Laurie, it certainly does feel like a quest, doesn't it? Your recommendations and personal experience are so helpful!

(so glad to know that your waist pack- much like the electric coil- is an indispensable item for you).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used a Lowe Alpine belt pack for my caminos and found it very handy. My valuables were easy to take with me if I went out or to the shower and I clipped to my bunk at night, next to my pillow. It was rather snug for what I wanted and last year I bought an Atom Pack Roo (UK). I haven't yet walked a camino with it but use it every day anyway. My phone pops in the front and is quite secure but instantly accessible and there's plenty of room inside without it being bulky. I have the 2.5l zero waste version, made from scrap material, it weights 100g. It is very soft and squashy so I zip my jacket over the top if it rains. Apart from convenience I prefer the weight on my low tummy to thigh pockets. Personally I don't feel it to be any less secure than pockets.
Ooh, I like the look of this one! And very cool that it's zero waste!

Haha! I too walked with someone like that ! 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like Trecile, I use a Baggalini cross-body. Mine has 3 zippers, so I can put lip balm up front, the phone/camera in the middle, and my money, cards and passports (I carry two, plus my credencial) in the roomiest back section.
for trucking around town at the end of the day. I have purchased the 2021 Osprey day pack that folds into itself in a pocket that I can fit inside my hip-belt pocket when not in use. that one hasn’t been on a camino with me yet but wanders around town at home with me most days so that I can grab groceries on my way home from whatever…

I have a small 3 zipper Baggolini for home use, but I absolutely love waist bags for the Camino, and my current model (reposted by @peregrina2000) is a winner. I do not like them to be too small, nor too big and prefer they have two or three separate compartments. I have tried using a crossover bag, but for me there is no comparison as I prefer the snug feel of my valuables right at my fingertips and the ease in removing my backpack as it stays put. I also see a crossover bag as more opportunity for a thief; cut the strap, grab and run. I also don't care if I look like a dork at dinner.😅 Distributing and hiding valuables in pockets sounds a nuisance and for me a recipe for potential loss. I can be prone to forgetfulness so having my waistbag attached to me at all times gives me peace of mind and keeps my hands and arms free. I bring it in the shower and toss it in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.

I've used this Travelon Anti-Theft Waist Pack on two Caminos, and on my daily training walks. The images don't show the water bottle pocket that can be deployed as needed and that I find most useful. I carry a smaller water bottle in the waist pack in front, and a larger bottle or two in my backpack. This waist pack is marketed as theftproof, with locking zipper pulls and a locking buckle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TQTWGW/?tag=casaivar02-20815QI6mQ2yL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like Trecile, I use a Baggalini cross-body. Mine has 3 zippers, so I can put lip balm up front, the phone/camera in the middle, and my money, cards and passports (I carry two, plus my credencial) in the roomiest back section
Is this the one that you have? I used that model on my last Camino, and it worked well. I got my current Baggallini for my birthday last year - it's pretty much the same size and shape as the Triple Zip.
I've tried using it as a waist pack, but for me it's more comfortable crossbody, probably because that's what I'm used to in my everyday life.

Maybe they use to make people look like tourists, but not anymore. They are all the rage and very trendy in Germany and I saw lots of teens wearing them in Spain too. They go by many names, Urban Belt is the latest name I have seen. Have always called them a hip pack though.
They are very useful and if you get one that is waterproof, they can be even more useful. Phone, guidebook, credential, money for the day, glasses, snack. It came to the shower with me, with money belt inside, and then slept with me too.
Mine was cheap (10€) and after 3 Caminos am looking for a replacement. Cannot imagine not wearing one. No way would I want all that stuff in my pockets, banging against my legs all day long.

Maybe they use to make people look like tourists, but not anymore. They are all the rage and very trendy in Germany and I saw lots of teens wearing them in Spain too.

Thanks for pointing this out. May be hard for some in my generation and older to believe but waist packs (I certainly won't make the f*nny pack indiscretion ever again after reading other comments on this thread!) are very much back in style, often worn cross body instead of around the waist.

I bought an inexpensive, lightweight black one at H&M a few seasons back that is my constant companion and which I plan to take on my Camino next year - it's no longer available but it's a similar design to this one, and carries all my essentials securely and unobtrusively. It even fits under a jacket when I'm wearing it cross-body style, making it a practical and much more convenient and comfortable alternative to a money belt or pouch.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is this the one that you have? I used that model on my last Camino, and it worked well. I got my current Baggallini for my birthday last year - it's pretty much the same size and shape as the Triple Zip.
I've tried using it as a waist pack, but for me it's more comfortable crossbody, probably because that's what I'm used to in my everyday life.
Similar….
A bit smaller.

edit;
the linked model looks a lot like mine but my dimensions are very small, hardly larger than my passpor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to use a small crossbody bag. I put it on before my backpack, and it stays there all day.
The one that I use is from Baggallini and converts to a waist bag.
BTW I prefer the term waist bag to fanny pack or bum bag, because it doesn't contain words that may be offensive to some English speakers. 😉

Eastpack here. Crossbody.

I stopped wearing waist packs when I became twelve years old.Looks only cute when you are young and on a schooltrip... :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
“Image”… on how I am perceived on the camino?…..is not a concern of mine! Let’s face it The overwhelming majority of us walking the camino are visiting from somewhere else! Let’s not fool ourselves.

“Function” is. Important to me….so I have been using an Eagle Creek” waist back for years. The main pouch is big enough to hold a small wallet, passports, Ipad mini, etc. In the smaller front pouch, I keep small bills, 5s and 10s, coins and my camino passport. I never open the main pouch in a crowd. If I am walking in a city or in a crowd, I can easily rotate the waist pack so that the pouches are in the front and I can keep a hand on it while walking if need be. There are small net pouches on each side of the pack which water bottles will fit in. Normally, I don’t use thoseouches for water. . I put sun glasses surrounded by doggie bags for emergency pit stops in one. In the other I keep a cheap thin rain poncho, and a snack to refuel. these items are accessible to me, then within 5 seconds.

Attachments

• 3AFD90D1-0AB0-43FE-9039-4E04E9F98B69.jpeg
    3AFD90D1-0AB0-43FE-9039-4E04E9F98B69.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
I use an ultralight version from Terra Nova whilst walking Camino's. I don't use it at other times like holidays etc as I agree it does mark you out as a tourist. But apart from the big cities like Pamplona, Leon, Lisbon, Oporto etc you will be instantly recognised as a peregrino(a) but the fact you are a) wearing a rucksack, b) on the Camino and c) you probably smell a little ripe anyway! The one I use can store waterproofs, trail fodder, important documents, a little cash etc, all accessible without stopping to take of my main pack. So yes they get my vote whilst long distance walking!

1638714380597.png

I walked with a Gregory 40L pack, which has a fine waist belt. That belt is critical to securing the pack's weight on your hips (though I saw a lot of folks walking without their pack waist belt fastened). Unfortunately, the pack waist belt and the belt that held up my pants has the same type/size clasp and more than once I almost dropped my trousers while trying to remove my pack! Slapstick comedy aside, I too thought a "bum bag" (or whatever you want to call it) would be useful and tried that, but the resulting chaos at my front waistline was just too much and I decided not to use the additional little bag. My advice: put it ALL on and see if it works for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I like having a water bottle handy right in front of me too. Find it too cumbersome to get a bottle out of the side of my pack when walking. Always looking for just the right size. The Sierra one above sounds perfect, but alas is not available.

I always use one. Just easy to reach your wallet, phone etc easily without having to take my backpack off. Now the only thing I don;t like about them is that at the end of a long hot day of walking the strap bothers my back. But I still prefer it over having things in my pockets or backpack. It's a personal preference obviously.

I'll probably be wearing a macabi skirt so I'll have some real estate in those pockets. But that doesn't solve for when I'm in the shower or asleep (since I doubt I'll sleep in the skirt). And I'm planning to bring a second skirt that packs down tiny and light but the pockets are, too
I just finished a Camino in a macabi skirt, and while the pockets provided plenty of space for most of what I needed while walking, I found that transferring everything from those pockets to somewhere else at the end of the day became cumbersome. I ended up buying a small waist bag in Leon that held phone, money and plastic cards, credential, tissues, camera, chapstick. It had a waist strap that was easily adjustable to expand to cross-body (which I saw a lot of this fall on the Frances). I also found that the "secret" money holders under waist belts got too sweaty.

Well we have a more polite word for it here in Costa Rica:” canguro”, with the accent on the “u” 😉.
My husband Adriaan always used one on the Camino and found it invaluable. I have taken up the habit at home and, when walking, plus on many other occasions, now use one daily.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks in advance!
I added a waist pack because my backpack doesn’t have zippers on the waist strap. I don’t really care about whether other pilgrims think. As to security. A thief would be disappointed, as I put a Tylenol, glass wipes, a few euros, snacks in the waist pack. I carry a money belt under my clothes for my passport and larger bills.

FYI -- waist bags have made a comeback. They are now super-cool. I got one in Tokyo that I love, but it is too big for the Camino and not waterproof. I needed something, because my pack does not have hip bags. This one from Decathlon is two-liter, folds into a little bag, and has a back pocket. It is water repellent, but not waterproof, I think. Its one drawback is that it is unstructured, but that wasn't a problem. I kept my coin purse, ibuprofen, lip balm, tissues, camera, and snacks in the front pouch. Sometimes, gloves or hat went in, depending on the day. In the back zippered pocket went a small purse (with credit cards, ATM, and ID), my passport and credential. I almost never opened that pocket. I could probably have put everything in my Macabi hiking skirt pockets, but I liked the versatility of two systems. My water bottle and mask went into one skirt pocket, my phone and hankie in the other pocket.

Thanks in advance!
I use a fanny pack every time I walk a Camino. I prefer an Ospry pack with two water battles (that is normally enough water each day). I carry it as a belly pack. It allows me quick access to the things I need such as money, national and camino passports, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5547(2).jpg
    IMG_5547(2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 136
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I added a waist pack because my backpack doesn’t have zippers on the waist strap. I don’t really care about whether other pilgrims think. As to security. A thief would be disappointed, as I put a Tylenol, glass wipes, a few euros, snacks in the waist pack. I carry a money belt under my clothes for my passport and larger bills.
Oh yes…phone too. Here’s mine…

Attachments

• B36068B9-6B25-41DE-962C-137C4DDA51AA.png
    B36068B9-6B25-41DE-962C-137C4DDA51AA.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
Oh yes…phone too. Here’s mine…
My phone would be the prize but truthfully, while on with my backpack it would be quite the feat to get into it. Also, I have travelled a lot and am very aware of my stuff when I am out and about. Third…I felt safe while walking, of course, due diligence is always part of my way of being.

I never use a waist pack in my daily life for all the reasons others have mentioned. However, on the Camino Frances in Sep/Oct I absolutely did, as did most of the people I met. I wanted to have quick access to a few items regardless of what I was wearing, both when carrying my pack during the day and without it in the evenings. Mine was a really cheap nylon Quechua (Decathlon store brand) bag which I used to carry my Passport and Credenciál in a ziplock bag, a pen and small notebook, power bank and phone cable, and other small items I needed on and off the Camino. Except for a few cold mornings I didn’t need a jacket so the only pockets I had were in my shorts. My mobile phone, cash, and very slim wallet for my health card and a couple of credit/debit cards were in those pockets, and easily transferred to the waist pack in the Albergue at night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked 8 years ago, I used a waist pack -- something from my marathon training days. It was large enough to hold my phone, credential, cash, bank card. Not much more. I would easily hide under a shirt as well. But, when I get to walk again, I'll be bringing it along for sure. And, I did use a plastic bag to keep stuff dry.

Another consideration for those who are still not sure about these packs (and I totally agree with @Wanderingfriend’s assessment of the importance of fashion on the camino) is to think about non-walking times.

If you don’t have a waist pack, I assume you have all your valuables in your backpack. So do you unpack them and transfer them to something else to take to the showers, bathrooms, etc? What do you do when you arrive at a small bar with no room for packs and everyone leaves theirs outside? For me the separate-ness of the back pack and the waist pack is essential for both convenience and safety.

But I’m sure the naysayers have worked out some alternative that suits them just fine!

Thanks in advance!
I use a Mammut front pack but the strap can be lengthened to use as over the shoulder too. It is deep enough and wide enough for a mini ipad plus lots more. Never travel without it.

Attachments

• 25A0E715-4F8F-40AD-8A1E-AA76EFE9F9CB.jpeg
    25A0E715-4F8F-40AD-8A1E-AA76EFE9F9CB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 157
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey,
This might have already been pointed out, but if you're wearing a backpack, some of them have pockets on the waist-belt (almost as big as a fanny pack, and you get two). I would never buy a pack without them again. I find them indispensable in being able to get to a number of things without taking off the pack. Peace, Bob

No-pack/pockets-only works for you. But, alas, not all pants are created equal nor all individual needs. Women's pants notoriously have few deep, usable pockets. You can find them but I generally select pants for fit, not pockets. Bonus if you can find both. Also, I identified the items I either want easy access to throughout the day or items I felt most secure having right smack in front where I can watch over them. These items fit in a front pack but not all would fit in pockets or fit comfortably. Example: I need my reading glasses frequently but unless I am wearing pants with large cargo pockets on the side of my legs, they do not fit in a pocket. I am most comfortable having my passport, credential and small wallet where I can watch them. Again, not happening with most women's pants without cargo pockets. I also like my guidebook handy but I suppose it is not necessary. There are other things.....lip protector, phone, feminine products, and a few other bits I like handy. Some will fit in pockets but with a pack it is all in one place and I can wear shorts or skorts or tights and don't have to try to find pants with cargo pockets to use as saddle bags. For those worried about slash and grab, you can find packs with built in security wires and even some that are RFID protected. In albergues, I sleep with my front pack (it is small enough) or clip it to the railing just above my head. Don't fret about being called a tourist as if that is a pejorative term. If you are curious about front packs, give it a try. I found it extremely convenient. You might need to try several to find one that works with your backpack.

I would wear one just to take some of the weight off my back.

A Fun Bunny, Belt Bag, Bum Sack, whatever informs the predator exactly where all your precious things are and that, conveniently, they are all in one place. It's like those "Beware of Pickpockets" signs - everyone instinctively pats the pocket where they keep their wallet and transforms themselves into a "mark" with one reflexive response.

For those determined to wear one beware where the buckle lies because if it lies under the hip-belt of your rucksack you'll have a nice little hot spot within a few hours and a nice little flesh wound in a few days.

And for those absolutely determined to use one - please don't take any notice of grumpy Tinkers.

No-pack/pockets-only works for you. But, alas, not all pants are created equal nor all individual needs. Women's pants notoriously have few deep, usable pockets. You can find them but I generally select pants for fit, not pockets. Bonus if you can find both. Also, I identified the items I either want easy access to throughout the day or items I felt most secure having right smack in front where I can watch over them. These items fit in a front pack but not all would fit in pockets or fit comfortably. Example: I need my reading glasses frequently but unless I am wearing pants with large cargo pockets on the side of my legs, they do not fit in a pocket. I am most comfortable having my passport, credential and small wallet where I can watch them. Again, not happening with most women's pants without cargo pockets. I also like my guidebook handy but I suppose it is not necessary. There are other things.....lip protector, phone, feminine products, and a few other bits I like handy. Some will fit in pockets but with a pack it is all in one place and I can wear shorts or skorts or tights and don't have to try to find pants with cargo pockets to use as saddle bags. For those worried about slash and grab, you can find packs with built in security wires and even some that are RFID protected. In albergues, I sleep with my front pack (it is small enough) or clip it to the railing just above my head. Don't fret about being called a tourist as if that is a pejorative term. If you are curious about front packs, give it a try. I found it extremely convenient. You might need to try several to find one that works with your backpack.
Lol I too clip my waist pack to the bed railing at night 😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is strange and interesting how that word "fanny" has taken on such different meanings in US vs. elsewhere. I think "pants" is another of those words. But I'm not sure if U.S. speakers need to change?? After all in Spain people say things like "coger un taxi" ("to catch a taxi") all the time, without hesitation, but you might get laughed at if you say that in Mexico and several other Latin American countries. (I've learned mostly Latin American Spanish and was worried about using "coger" in Spain but finally realized it was ok to use it.)

I agree with Don. If I see anyone wearing a waist pack in my local shopping mall I can see straight away that they are a tourist, just asking to be followed and mugged.

One or two waist packs are sold in a few hiking stores here, but obviously for those intending to go hiking overseas.

It’s a different culture here, but because I wear a small cross-body bag at home (like everyone else in the shopping mall), I do the same on the camino.

Like Trecile, I put it on over my head in the morning when I get up, and it stays there all day, into the shower, and into bed with me.

For those determined to wear one beware where the buckle lies because if it lies under the hip-belt of your rucksack you'll have a nice little hot spot within a few hours and a nice little flesh wound in a few days.
I don't sweat much and I've never developed a flesh wound from my awesome waist bag.🙂

And for those absolutely determined to use one - please don't take any notice of grumpy Tinkers.
You are sooo funny...grumpy or not!😅

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks in advance!
I carry all of those items (except the snack, which I prefer to sit and eat) in a money belt around my waist and my pockets, so I guess I would say the smallest one possible.

Great video, thanks for the explanation of your experience with this

I took a crossbody bag on my Camino but perhaps because I am short, fat, and middle-aged, I found that the slight weight on one side over many, many steps gave me a backache. Covid permitting, I hope to walk again this summer and have purchased a waist pack for this very reason. It’s just big enough for passport and credential, lip balm, phone & external battery, tissues (those wheat fields caused my nose to stream all day), and my tiny coin pouch for the day’s needs.
Also, as mentioned upthread, womenswear does not normally include pockets and if the item does, those pockets are shallow and I have a mightily cracked phone screen from the number of times my phone has fallen out of my pocket.

€83,-
I've had an Eagle Creek Susie Clutch that I carry inside on the top of my backpack which makes it very accesible when I need it and it's not in sight. It's the perfect size to carry my documents/money, etc. and I use it as a crossbody clutch when going out in the afternoon/evening.

I appreciate this perspective... I'm thinking mostly about the utility of one for walking during the day, when I'm not generally concerned about theft. I've seen some models that double as a cross-body, which seems handy for post-walk wearing.

Thanks in advance!
I like to use a waist pack with my backpack. I find it easier to access than pockets on the backpack. I have a mantis waist pack from arcteryx. It converts to a shoulder pack for walking around town later.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks in advance!
Hi I love my waist pack (bum bag) it has everything at my fingertips without having to take my pack off .I can join the stamp and put it over my shoulder as a hand bag to go out at night.It has all my important things in it and I attach it to the bank bed and sleep with it under my pillow.I wouldn't leave home without it.I have walked 14 casinos with the same waist pack. Go for it!

I use a Forclaz waist pack from Decathlon ... Cheap, effective, capacious. It holds all the stuff I need close at hand and the stuff I want to be sure isn't stolen (unlikely) or forgotten (all to likely in my case).

Major disadvantage? As several posters have pointed out, you can't wear one and look cool. And face it, fellow-gearheads, we want to look cool.

Major advantage? The Ryanair bureaucracy deems a waist pack (forget fanny, por favour) to be part of you, not part of your carryon allowance. So you can stuff piles of gear in and get your backpack on the plane for free.

Who cares about looking cool anyway ...😳

Another consideration for those who are still not sure about these packs (and I totally agree with @Wanderingfriend’s assessment of the importance of fashion on the camino) is to think about non-walking times.

If you don’t have a waist pack, I assume you have all your valuables in your backpack. So do you unpack them and transfer them to something else to take to the showers, bathrooms, etc? What do you do when you arrive at a small bar with no room for packs and everyone leaves theirs outside? For me the separate-ness of the back pack and the waist pack is essential for both convenience and safety.

But I’m sure the naysayers have worked out some alternative that suits them just fine!
My phone, valuables and important paperwork always go into a dry-sack to the showers with me…
my money and ID and whatnot are always in that very small crossbody pouch…

I do advise anyone with lumbar spine pain to avoid the waist/hip bag because the load pulls down and forward (even my Osprey does this)….

Next camino I am taking the ultralight Osprey daypack for destination wandering and my aiplane supply needs. I cannot find the model to tell you… but it folds into its own packing pocket that fits inside a hip pocket. Unfolded it’s about the size and weight of a grocery bag, but of the quality and durability you’d expect from Osprey.

I now have a bottle sling from Decathlon ($6 CAD) to keep a drink up front so I don’t have to do the contortionist act to get my bottle from the side pouch. next Camnino I will carry 500 ml in the sling…. And retain 1.5 L refills in the backpack.

If you don’t have a waist pack, I assume you have all your valuables in your backpack.
No. I have my super-valuables (credit/health/bank cards, passport and emergency cash) in a very slim fabric
wallet attached inside my pants/trousers. That is transferred when I change clothes in the evening. I have all the daily valuables (phone, credencial, daily cash, guide book/info) in a cross-body bag like this. It never leaves my body except during my shower.
I am short, fat, and middle-aged, I found that the slight weight on one side over many, many steps gave me a backache. Covid permitting, I hope to walk again this summer and have purchased a waist pack for this very reason.
I am short-waisted and have my excess flab around my waist. I would hate having another strap around my middle, in addition to pack hip belt and clothes waist band. I hook the cross-shoulder bag onto my pack belt, to reduce bouncing and uneven weight.

I like to use a waist pack with my backpack. I find it easier to access than pockets on the backpack. I have a mantis waist pack from arcteryx. It converts to a shoulder pack for walking around town later.
like Wanda I have a «mantis» waist pack from Arc’teryx ... I use it every day in my normal life as a crossover across my body ... just wonderful, well made and big enough to carry almost all daily needs ... it has a clever hidden security pocket [lined] built into the back panel where you can stash ur cards against ur body, whichever way you wear it [waist or crossover] ... inside it has two compartments plus a zippered pocket for passport and other valuables ... I previously used an Osprey waist bag but the Arc’teryx is far superior and has been my daily companion for the past two years ...

Two sizes : 1litre and 2 litre
<https://arcteryx.com.au/products/mantis-1-waistpack?variant=40940560089288>
+
<https://arcteryx.com.au/products/mantis-2-waistpack?variant=31954268913777>

Last edited:
I have not camino'd so take this with as much salt as it needs.

I appreciate what biarritzdon and mspath are saying. I'm all for not looking like a tourist/target, and not being indiscreet. But I am going to look like someone who has enough cash to walk a camino no matter the backpack or clothes or... I also kinda hate what fanny waist packs/slings look like. But I need/want to come up with a solution for something to carry my frequent needful things so they're *on* me and easily accessible when the pack is off.

I'll probably be wearing a macabi skirt so I'll have some real estate in those pockets. But that doesn't solve for when I'm in the shower or asleep (since I doubt I'll sleep in the skirt). And I'm planning to bring a second skirt that packs down tiny and light but the pockets are, too.

I'm currently considering a small, minimal fanny waist pack from REI (which isn't on the website now but this is similar), just big enough for passport (because I'll need that daily, right?), credential, cellphone, a tissue, and a coin purse. Needful things that I'll access when I have the backpack with me, like sunscreen, lip balm and snacks will go in the hip belt or macabi pockets. Valuables will go in a money belt &or in a secret homemade pocket in the pack (a la Counting Everything).

Am I overthinking this? I'd love suggestions on non-waist pack options, and perhaps it should be its own thread so I'm not hijacking this one.
I too dislike waist packs with a vengeance, but found it to be a perfect fit whilst walking the Camino. Everything I needed was in easy access, it was comfortable and I didn’t notice the weight. I had to swallow my pride (always said I wouldn’t be seen in one) and realise they have a place in my walking life.

I just finished a Camino in a macabi skirt, and while the pockets provided plenty of space for most of what I needed while walking, I found that transferring everything from those pockets to somewhere else at the end of the day became cumbersome. I ended up buying a small waist bag in Leon that held phone, money and plastic cards, credential, tissues, camera, chapstick. It had a waist strap that was easily adjustable to expand to cross-body (which I saw a lot of this fall on the Frances). I also found that the "secret" money holders under waist belts got too sweaty.
Hi Becky, I always use a little cotton bag with a string around my waist (think they are meant to go around the neck, but no thanks to that) to hold the larger stash of money, my passport (these two in a little zip lock bag as I was once in an albergue shower and the spray went everywhere) and credit cards. I do not even notice it, as it is tucked inside the undies. I never take this out in public and actually sleep with it around my waist. I like a waist belt for all the things that you want to have handy as mentioned in the above posts and like having a water bottle handy in front too. I also wear a Macabi most days and usually have my money for the day in the deep zippered pocket.

I used an old one for my CF but have since bought the Eagle Creek Wayfinder. Holds my phone and camera (yes - I take an 8 oz camera), credencial, laminated copy of passport ID page, small coin purse with daily money, chapstick, tiny pocket knife, and any other small items I needed at hand. Credit cards, large $$, and passport lived in a money belt under my clothes for the entire journey. This worked best for me. To add: I have worn waistpacks for YEARS both at home, when hiking and when traveling. I carry leave jewelry at home and carry money, etc always underneath my clothes. I really don't care what others think of fashion. It works for me.
https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/waist-packs/wayfinder-waist-pack-s-ec0a3saz?variationId=271

Last edited:
I don't have any products from this company, but have been tempted. They have a variety of hip packs, waist packs, and crossbody bags. They also have a water bottle holder that will attach to some of them. I like some of the patterns and prints that are available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When preparing my gear for the Camino Francés, I took heed of suggestions on the forum regarding a waist pack. I completed my pilgrimage late last month, having walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre. I was extremely happy that I had my waist pack. It contained my credencials, passport, paper money, credit cards, ATM cards, a few pills I might need during the day (ibuprofen, antihistamines), a small notebook, face mask, spare face mask, and some religious items (afterall it was a pilgrimage). If I walk another camino, I will absolutely use a waist pack again. Everyone has to make their own decision, but my vote is in favor of a waist pack.
Bob91

I don't have any products from this company, but have been tempted. They have a variety of hip packs, waist packs, and crossbody bags. They also have a water bottle holder that will attach to some of them. I like some of the patterns and prints that are available.
Beautiful...I'll take one of each!😅🙆

It's all here so you pays your money and makes your choice. I've never used waist pack but do carry a small cross body bag with me for mostly evening use it was from Rohan in the UK. My main comment would be that a waist pack type thing makes a obvious target and I'd almost certainly try to overload it. Good Luck.

Next camino I am taking the ultralight Osprey daypack for destination wandering and my aiplane supply needs. I cannot find the model to tell you… but it folds into its own packing pocket that fits inside a hip pocket. Unfolded it’s about the size and weight of a grocery bag, but of the quality and durability you’d expect from Osprey.

I'm a big fan of Osprey's Ultralight Daypack too - mine lives in my main suitcase/backpack wherever I travel, and I will be taking it with my on my Camino as well.

It weighs next to nothing and comes in handy for a variety of uses - like toting groceries from the market and taking valuables/toiletries to the shower when staying in shared accommodations, in addition to working splendidly as a regular ol' daypack.

Last edited:
But I'm not sure if U.S. speakers need to change??
Feel free not to. What better way to show your well developed cultural sensitivity when engaging in a forum that has members from around the world than using a word that for many is vulgar slang for a woman's genitalia. Especially after you have been told that.

Not that anyone has asked, but an alternative to a waist pack is a travel vest, worn over top of one’s shirt. A bit expensive, but in its many pockets I can stash everything I want to keep close at hand. The one time in Spain (not on the camino) when I found myself in a risky situation, I was very glad to have had all my valuables safely zipped up inside my vest.

€83,-
Hi Nadine,

Mine is the one in the picture below, I find the picture by searching "Grab Bag". Is small, lightweight and it do is job to contains my essentials of the day, weight 104g not waterproof. But ziplocs does :). You can attach it on the straps on the backpack, there is one quick release when you want to remove your pack. The long strap you see on the picture go inside a compartiment in the bag and cannot be lost. So when the walk of the day is finished you remove it from the other strap of the Backpack, you pull out this long strap and you can transport it on your shoulder.

View attachment 114405
I use the same bag, modified to carry it across my chest when walking. Held in place by easy-clips each side.
94944A76-5FF0-4F30-AE56-D81BFC5D930B.jpeg

This is exactly what I do. I wear a very thin "money belt" under my clothing which contains only my passport, credit card and large bills if I have any. Thats it! Then I carry a very small purse across my body that goes on first before my pack. In that I have a small wallet with debit card and cash, credential, lip balm, kleenex, and phone, and maybe some snacks. Once at the albergue, I place my money belt into my purse and have that on me all the time, except in the shower where it goes in my dry bag with my clothing for after the shower. The purse can be interchanged with a waist pack but I don't like so much around my waist.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Feel free not to. What better way to show your well developed cultural sensitivity when engaging in a forum that has members from around the world than using a word that for many is vulgar slang for a woman's genitalia. Especially after you have been told that.

Oh gosh, I didn't realize that it was considered to be vulgar. I do know there are other words referring to parts of anatomy that are considered vulgar but I didn't realize this was one of those. I wouldn't think that that part of a woman's anatomy is inherently vulgar so all words referring to it wouldn't necessarily be vulgar. I thought it was a relatively mild term just like "bum" is a mild term for another part of the anatomy. Also, when you said you smiled, I didn't take it that you found it offensive. But, it sounds like I was wrong in my assumptions. The subtleties of words are hard when you don't use them natively. I'll be more sensitive about this in the future.

Also, when you said you smiled, I didn't take it that you found it offensive.
You're correct. In the context of the forum, I am not expecting that those from the US and Canada who use the term to be doing so in its vulgar sense. It would seem churlish to take offence when it's reasonable to believe none was intended.

But it seems to be slang on both sides of the Atlantic, which might give one pause about using it on an international forum without checking what other meanings it might have.

Its certainly not a word I would use when visiting England, in polite company or otherwise. And while it might go the path of many other slang words, and become more acceptable over time, I'm not sure that it's there yet.

More, while some British members might see it as a taboo word, I think Australians might be more relaxed about that. See, for example the British English definitions here: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fanny compared to an Australian view here: https://outbackdictionary.com/fanny/.

Wow - you can never quite guess the direction a thread will go in!
Can I just add, with a gentle friendly smile.
1. on the main topic: If you're on a camino route, and you're not actually from those parts, it'll be pretty obvious from all manner of giveaways that you are a tourist or pilgrim, regardless as to whether you try and conceal your valuables about you or in an external bag
- on the side topic: just google 'Fanny name' and you'll see it was an English female name going back centuries. It's hard for parents to name their child as such now, but some people named Frances, and their friends and family, do still choose to use Fanny as an endearing diminutive.
My wonderful aunt has her own nick-name that she became known as when a child in the 1950s. At some point decades later it became a slang word considered rude - there's an Irish village of the same name, where Instagrammers go to get hilarious selfies with the road sign. For a while we reverted to calling my aunt by her birth name. But she wasn't having it - she felt she owned that name. So we have all reverted to calling her that - and we tough it out and explain, when the situation arises. We appreciate now, It's part of who she is.

Last edited:

€46,-
I wonder how we got off the subject of gear, but I'm glad to say that the word "fanny" in the UK is now obsolete in this reference, having been replaced by a far more powerful alternative, mercifully unknown to people on the Camino. And while we're on the subject of cultural sensitivity, if you're from the UK be careful when cadging (bumming) a cigarette off an American peregrino ....

Wow - you can never quite guess the direction a thread will go in!
Can I just add, with a gentle friendly smile.
1. on the main topic: If you're on a camino route, and you're not actually from those parts, it'll be pretty obvious from all manner of giveaways that you are a tourist or pilgrim, regardless as to whether you try and conceal your valuables about you or in an external bag
- on the side topic: just google 'Fanny name' and you'll see it was an English female name going back centuries. It's hard for parents to name their child as such now, but some people named Frances, and their friends and family, do still choose to use Fanny as an endearing diminutive.
My wonderful aunt has her own nick-name that she became known as when a child in the 1950s. At some point decades later it became a slang word considered rude - there's an Irish village of the same name, where Instagrammers got to get hilarious selfies with the road sign. For a while we reverted to calling my aunt by her birth name. But she wasn't having it - she felt she owned that name. So we have all reverted to calling her that - and we tough it out and explain, when the situation arises. We appreciate now, It's part of who she is.

Yes, as one who lives in N. America... I recall making Irish family howl with laughter when I asked if it would be acceptable to wear pants to brunch. "Yes! please!" ... and much of the usual Irish humour that followed from there...
*Trousers*... *trousers*.... and a full awareness that my vocabulary choice had not been intended to offend.

The day before I left for my first Camino in 2019, I panicked and bought a waist pack. It was one of the best decisions I made. I actually slept with it to protect my valuables, but on a more basic level, it allowed me easy access to my phone, money, asthma meds, credencial, and my Brierley. My pockets weren’t bulging and I didn’t have to worry something would slip out. I also carried snack items in it when warranted. Its strange, but I felt more balanced wearing it, as if it took a weight off my back (though in reality it didn’t do nearly as much heavy lifting as my backpack).

I bought an Arc’teryx Mantis 2 (the Mantis 1 wouldn’t easily fit the guidebook). Highly recommend it.

(Here in downtown Toronto, Canada, the fashion crowd are wearing one as a crossbody pack, switching it to their waist from time to time as depending on outfit, for what it’s worth.)

Bonking is the action of making the bed headboard hit the wall, no?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey,
I walked part of the camino in October. I had an Osprey 36 Litter as my pack. I did have a waist pack. I used an REI one. The REI one I got has a compartment on the back and two compartments in front. I put my passport in the back one and my phone in the front one. I also used it when I left the main pack at the Albergues. I struggled with what to take. A small cross body (I thought that would get in the way) My pants did not have large pockets and phone did not fit in them. The waist pack was very comfortable. I will wear it again next year too!

Bonking is the action of making the bed headboard hit the wall, no?

:) I think the term you are looking for is 'boinking'.

'Bonking' is the term used by long distance runners and cyclist and backpackers for when the muscles have depleted energy stores of glycogen, resulting in the inability to perform the physical activity at the same high level. "Hitting the wall" means the same thing.

Last edited:
I think that a waist pack could be useful on the Camino, particularly in rural areas for all the reasons touted above. But I would strongly discourage its use in major cities (Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, etc), in any crowd or on public transport in Europe. It isn’t just marking yourself as a tourist. The thieves are experts at emptying these waist packs. These are literally siren calls for pickpockets.

I did not bother, but I am guessing that there are plenty of YouTube videos of pickpockets showing off their skills against waist packs.

I think that a waist pack could be useful on the Camino, particularly in rural areas for all the reasons touted above. But I would strongly discourage its use in major cities (Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, etc), in any crowd or on public transport in Europe. It isn’t just marking yourself as a tourist. The thieves are experts at emptying these waist packs. These are literally siren calls for pickpockets.

I did not bother, but I am guessing that there are plenty of YouTube videos of pickpockets showing off their skills against waist packs.
Always a good idea to be wary in crowds whether you use pockets, a purse, or back pack (not a good idea in crowded cities). In cities, I usually use a cross body purse that has built in slash proof security wires, has RFID protection, and each of the three zippered pockets have clasps that lock it down. Additionally, I always have it slung so that it in front and have a hand on it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.