• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let's talk waist packs!

:) I think the term you are looking for is 'boinking'.

'Bonking' is the term used by long distance runners and cyclist and backpackers for when the muscles have depleted energy stores of glycogen, resulting in the inability to perform the physical activity at the same high level. "Hitting the wall" means the same thing.
Two nations divided by the same language. . . . I can assure you that, on this side of the "pond" there's only one i and it has nothing to do with the kind of physical activity you suggest! ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aside from daypacks or waist packs or backpacks, etc., this is what I use to secure money, debit/credit cards, passport, tickets, immunization record, and other valuable documents. It is waterproof, and the zippers are watertight as well. I can stash it into a pants pocket or wear it around the neck. It goes into the shower with me, and acts as a wallet when shopping.

1638828398305.png

1638828502768.png

1638828264630.png

I think the term you are looking for is 'boinking'.
Who would think one little "i" can completely change the meaning of your word, and yet when experiencing depleted energy stores, both have a similar inability to perform at the same high level of activity of hitting the wall.🙃

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not only does this thread contain so, so many helpful tips and recommendations for waist packs, but we've also segued into some truly good conversation around safety/security AND the nuances of language. Always a good time on the Camino forum!

But seriously, I've appreciated all of these responses and I have a lot to look through. I'm sure this thread will be helpful to other pilgrims as well!

When I'm traveling (but not on Camino) I wear a travel vest, with lots of interior pockets, zipped up if I'm in crowds. I also keep carabiners on my sketch/camera bag and backpack, so I can clip them to my belt loop, or a chair/bench/table, keeping it within my reach and in line of sight.

I use the same bag, modified to carry it across my chest when walking. Held in place by easy-clips each side.
View attachment 114469
You sound like someone after my own heart! I am car-less by choice, and do quite a bit of walking. To avoid having to take my day-to-day pack off and on several times a day - thus needing to break stride - I have it equipped with all manner of modifications. 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't dream of walking a Camino without a waist pack.

I carry my passport and credencial, in a zip loc baggie, in the "hidden" zippered pouch. I carry a thin wallet with a credit card and cash in the easily accessible front zippered pouch. I carry my phone, for photos, in the other zippered front pouch.

I bought mine at a thrift shop.

It makes it easy to drop my backpack when I sit for lunch or siesta and not worry about securing my valuables. I take it into the shower with me. It is easy to flip over my shoulder or drop into a string bag when I go to do laundry or walk around a village.

My original waist bag has finally given up the ghost and I've ordered a new one from REI. It's probably the only new thing I'll be taking with me.

My pockets, by the way, have my guidebook, also in a zip-loc bag, a pocket knife attached by an idiot cord to my belt loop, and a handkerchief.

:) I think the term you are looking for is 'boinking'.

'Bonking' is the term used by long distance runners and cyclist and backpackers for when the muscles have depleted energy stores of glycogen, resulting in the inability to perform the physical activity at the same high level. "Hitting the wall" means the same thing.
@davebugg, that is but one of several meanings of bonking, one of which is the same as boinking. The latter seems to be a rather simple, not very elegant, variation of bonking. Or perhaps it's onomatopoeic, although I claim it's been too long to clearly remember.🙁

The clear problem with using boinking is that it is unlikely to be used with an alternative meaning by those from the north Americas which those of us who follow British English traditions can exploit for humourous effect.

Last edited:
Thieves love tourists with fanny packs!

Simply distract the victim, insert knife into bottom of fanny pack, make slit, then the cash, credit cards and passport all fall out the bottom.

Don't fall for this scam!

-Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Simply distract the victim, insert knife into bottom of fanny pack, make slit, then the cash, credit cards and passport all fall out the bottom.

-Paul
The Camino is wildly safe as far as this kind of thing goes. And in hundreds of days spent in different locations around the world, I've never known thieves to want to get knives involved. Scissors? Occasionally -- for a camera strap or a purse strap, but frankly true thieves look for things that are easy to unclip while you are distracted.
A waist pack can be easy to unclip of you are distracted... which is why I would not -- even absent lumbar spine problems -- wear one on a subway or through an airport anywhere.
I've seen my spouse swarmed by 3 men who dug into his pockets on Las Ramblas because he was naive enough to accept their entry into conversation.
I've seen my kid have a chocolate tablet taken right out of his hands while I turned to check a street sign...
And I've heard of thefts out of albergues, but generally the places we walk through are pretty serious about remaining hospitable... they mind their own so that we don't have to...

If a waist pack is not going to put too much weight/stress on someone's lumbar spine, and will offer comfortable ease of access, I really don't think they are going to invite being a target by wearing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use a waistpack at airports when on my way to and from the Camino, along with my backpack which I am also wearing and it is always covering the clip in back.
Yeah, totally agree that it’s covered by the pack in a camino… my point really was that thieves avoid knives and only go for what is easy (like an accessible clip). and in an airport, oh boy can I ever be distracted by being dis oriented and jet lagged.
But if people find the bags do not make them uncomfortable, there’s no need to be afraid of having the pouch sliced open…. Certainly if we were to fear that we ought also to worry about wearing our packs to pick up groceries before we leave town… someone could just whip out a knife and slice the back open without us even noticing! (point being: that is vanishingly unlikely).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

-Paul
Even though it is sometimes referred to as a "fanny pack", when you are walking the camino with a pack and a "fanny" pack, you will be wearing it on your front which is why it is so convenient for carrying often used items. You will have eyes on the waist pack and it will be secured against your body. The waist band and clasp will be under your pack and, so, protected. If someone comes at you from the front with a knife, I suggest you have bigger problems than having your "fanny pack" slit open. Besides, most "fanny packs" are made of some pretty durable material. Cutting through the bag, if it is a good one, is likely not to be a quick, easy event. The smarter thief would try to unzip it when you aren't looking but remember, this thing is attached to your front.

While deciding if you want to use a "fanny pack", remember that the alternative is to store your often used items in your backpack. Your pack will be on your back - will you know if some clever thief dips into your bag? Unless you have eyeballs in the back of your head (my mother claimed she did), you won't see them coming and if they are good, you won't feel the "dip". If you are using your backpack for the frequently used items, do you store them at the top of the pack, just inside the zipper, for convenience? Maybe find an alternative location - if you have very large belt pockets that might work.

A silk money belt worn under your shirt is where you keep your valuables when walking in large cities known for pick-pockets. That is all you need.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A silk money belt worn under your shirt is where you keep your valuables when walking in large cities known for pick-pockets. That is all you need.
But OP desires to carry things they use frequently and want conveniently available. Lip balm. Tissues. Food.

In my case: not food so much as an epi-pen, a turbo inhaler and a salbutamol inhaler with delivery chamber.

And money and passports, CC's and credenciale... probably that smart phone with guidebooks and live maps on it.

*Need* is defined by person's own body and practical concerns.

I would love not to need to carry 3 very bulky medications with me. But there it is. My turbo inhaler fits in my tiny purse, along with the money, the CC's and the ID papers. My phone fits there too, as does a lip balm.

The episode-pen gets strapped to where any passer-by can see it.... just in case. And my inhaler with chamber are in the lid of my pack.... but if I could tolerate a hip-bag/waist-pack, I'd likely stick them there.

Why not?

I have worn fanny packs for 35 years+ The only time I have ever had a problem with one was getting on the subway in Rome! My fanny pack was in front of me with both my hands tightly on it - one hand on each side. As the metro doors opened for the crowd to get on we were suddenly surrounded by a huge group…it was impossible to move for about 20 seconds. I has previously warned my sisters to clutch her bag tightly. Then, I could feel a hand grasping at my pouch, but we were so close I couldn’t actually see the hand gasping at my fanny pack. I held on to my pouch even tighter with my left hand and gave a very hard elbow to the person on my right…..which no one could see as well. That person, for sure, had some sore ribs that night! Those fingers pulled away immediately. It was a young woman, part of a group, that were out robbing tourists that day. When we got on the subway, they had actually managed to get my sister’s pouch half open, but hadn’t been able to get anything.

So I do appreciate that thieves will target fanny packs. Nevertheless, I always carry a fanny pack for the convenience it provides me. I shop with one at home and would never again carry a regular purse? Yes, I am am mindful of its vulnerability, and take action to protect it. The advantages are worth the extra precautions that I ocassionally need to take in public.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I read everything carefully because I am also looking for a solution. I definitely want something to strap to my body 24/7 or close to it. Pockets are not a solution for me. I am done with wearing a money belt under my clothes; I have done it many, many times while traveling but it’s just too uncomfortable and imho, not necessary during the day on the Camino. I also want to have certain things at my fingertips as I walk along. This is what I want to put in it:

Phone
Face mask
Tissues, handkerchief
Lip balm, eye drops
Credential
Tiny pouch for day money
Hand sanitizer
Pages torn from guidebook
Valuables: passport, cash stash, credit and atm cards in an interior zip pocket
Perhaps a tiny water bottle in hot weather. I prefer to carry several 8 oz / 250 ml ones, but only need one immediately accessible.

Basically the things I want to be able to reach without stopping while walking and what I would want with me at the table while at a cafe or when going out in the evening.

I previously carried a small crossbody Baggalini, but it bounced around too much and I ended up sticking it in my pack, which defeats the purpose, although it was nice to have in the evening. (I also really hated the design; it looked sharp, but the pockets and layout didn’t function well for me, as has been the case with other bags from that company. I know many people love them, but not me. I don’t think I will ever buy another.)

Waist bags have definitely circled ‘round to be trendy again. When Gucci is selling them for €750, you gotta believe it isn’t just tourist dorks wearing them anymore. Being aware of that, I bought one last summer, but it is far too small and lacked the organizing pockets I would like. Since I don’t I want anything bigger hanging from my waist, I was still looking for a better solution.

This discussion helped me realize that maybe what I want is a sling bag. So I just ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLX5LJD/?tag=casaivar02-20

BD95F31D-F6C9-4109-BF10-9DF6C5221DC5.jpeg

I love how it looks, it’s small but not too small for my needs (I think), and there’s even a loop for attaching a scallop shell. 😁 The strap looks nice and comfortable, but I am concerned that the metal shortening mechanism thingie might be uncomfortable under my pack. I will have to load up my pack and try it out to see. There is the usual assortment of conflicting comments in the reviews about durability, but enough bad ones to make me a bit concerned about that aspect as well. The manufacturer does offer a lifetime guarantee, so I have my fingers crossed that all will be okay.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have worn fanny packs for 35 years+ The only time I have ever had a problem with one was getting on the subway in Rome! My fanny pack was in front of me with both my hands tightly on it - one hand on each side. As the metro doors opened for the crowd to get on we were suddenly surrounded by a huge group…it was impossible to move for about 20 seconds. I has previously warned my sisters to clutch her bag tightly. Then, I could feel a hand grasping at my pouch, but we were so close I couldn’t actually see the hand gasping at my fanny pack. I held on to my pouch even tighter with my left hand and gave a very hard elbow to the person on my right…..which no one could see as well. That person, for sure, had some sore ribs that night! Those fingers pulled away immediately. It was a young woman, part of a group, that were out robbing tourists that day. When we got on the subway, they had actually managed to get my sister’s pouch half open, but hadn’t been able to get anything.

So I do appreciate that thieves will target fanny packs. Nevertheless, I always carry a fanny pack for the convenience it provides me. I shop with one at home and would never again carry a regular purse? Yes, I am am mindful of its vulnerability, and take action to protect it. The advantages are worth the extra precautions that I ocassionally need to take in public.

That’s quite a story! When you’re in the midst of a pickpocket swarm like that, nothing is very safe. That is a situation where I would want my valuables in a money belt under my clothes. I once had to give a very sharp elbow to some guy on a crowded train in Japan who was pressing his privates against me. It sure solved the problem right quick.

I think part of the reputation for waist packs being theft targets comes from the stereotype of who wore them, which for many years was hapless rubes, who were going to be theft targets no matter what. That was the stereotype, however, and as with most stereotypes, was quite unfair, and didn’t separate correlation from causation.

The use of waist packs never completely died out because they are so practical and convenient. Over the last twenty years or so, while they might have been considered a real fashion no-no, I have encountered a fair number of very experienced travelers who continued to wear them, the sort of people who backpack for years at a time, that level of traveler. The packs tended to be very small and inconspicuous ones, worn to the front, and sometimes with a shirt or jacket covering them. And now, much to everyone’s great surprise, they’re back in style.

I used a Packsafe waist pack.

It has a metal cord through the waist band, a metal grid inside the fabric and secure closures.
It was very comfortable, never dragged at the small of my back and the belt fastened next to the bag itself and didn’t interfere with my pack.

It came into the shower with me and out in the evenings, and carried everything I wanted/needed (?) to hand.
Money, passport etc. were elsewhere on my person.

It became like a second skin.

But I wouldn’t wear it for everyday use.
The only time I had a second thought about using it was when I saw two peregrinas in the Pilgrim’s Office in SJPdP, who both had the sort of bag I used at home, slung across their bodies.

@Esperanza

I‘ve had one of these for many years:

It’s very similar to yours and very, very lightweight.
Useful for going swimming, to dance/exercise class, to the beach etc.
Mine’s their small size but I’ve never worn it across the front of my body … perhaps I should try it 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Esperanza

I‘ve had one of these for many years:

It’s very similar to yours and very, very lightweight.
Useful for going swimming, to dance/exercise class, to the beach etc.
Mine’s their small size but I’ve never worn it across the front of my body … perhaps I should try it 😉
I have three of these exact bags (inherited from a sister), plus one in the larger size. I have used them on vacations or local day hikes and have worn them on my back and sometimes my front, but for me they are totally unsuitable for Caminos used together with a backpack.

Always a good idea to be wary in crowds whether you use pockets, a purse, or back pack (not a good idea in crowded cities). In cities, I usually use a cross body purse that has built in slash proof security wires, has RFID protection, and each of the three zippered pockets have clasps that lock it down. Additionally, I always have it slung so that it in front and have a hand on it.
All good features - apart from one.

It’s a personal hobby horse, so forgive me.

Do you believe there to be any credible risk against which the RFID ‘protection’ will protect you?

Snake-oil, IMHO.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have three of these exact bags (inherited from a sister), plus one in the larger size. I have used them on vacations or local day hikes and have worn them on my back and sometimes my front, but for me they are totally unsuitable for Caminos used together with a backpack.
I am curious why you found that bag to be unsuitable?

The one I ordered is smaller and actually quite different, and, as noted, I have reservations, but still would like to hear more from you if you don’t mind.

My bag, and other similar ones such as the picture you have posted would just "get in the way" in my experiences when combined wih a backpack. If you read my original post #29 on page 1 of this thread, it describes why I personally prefer a waist pack for use on the Camino instead of crossover style bags, or using clothes pockets. Your picture would be ideal in other types of situations.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You really don’t like RFID, do you?? 😂
Nope.

It’s a tax on the anxious and ill-informed.

For at least the third time on here I’ll repeat my ‘put your money where your mouth is’ offer:

I’ll donate £50 (or $ or €) to a charity nominated by the first person to cite a credible reported and investigated (by the real police) case of anyone, anywhere, ever having a credit card criminally compromised remotely by any means which a ‘rfid-protected product’ would prevent.

It’s been trialed in laboratory conditions. It’s never actually happened in the real world.

For the ‘better safe than sorry’ brigade, I do an extensive range of lucky charms and tinfoil hats.

Nope.

For at least the third time on here I’ll repeat my ‘put your money where your mouth is’ offer:

I’ll donate £50 (or $ or €) to a charity nominated by the first person to cite a credible reported and investigated (by the real police) case of anyone, anywhere, ever having a credit card criminally compromised remotely by any means which a ‘rfid-protected product’ would prevent.

It’s been trialed in laboratory conditions. It’s never actually happened in the real world.

For the ‘better safe than sorry’ brigade, I do an extensive range of lucky charms and tinfoil hats.
I received a small crossover RFID purse a few years ago as an unexpected birthday gift and have used it in certain situations. I can tell it has metal wire running through the strap and I can feel metal mesh wiring between the layers of fabric on the purse itself. The zipper when closed has a clasp that locks it shut. I personally don't think it would be easy for a thief to slash it or unzip it discreetly, if at all.
I can't speak for its feature of compromising credit cards, but that does sound a bit suspect to me.

I received a small crossover RFID purse a few years ago as an unexpected birthday gift and have used it in certain situations. I can tell it has metal wire running through the strap and I can feel metal mesh wiring between the layers of fabric on the purse itself. The zipper when closed has a clasp that locks it shut. I personally don't think it would be easy for a thief to slash it or unzip it discreetly, if at all.
I can't speak for its feature of compromising credit cards, but that does sound a bit suspect to me.
Yes, I’d agree, the wire mesh may provide a degree of physical security which in a purse (I’m assuming that’s a US ‘purse’, a UK ‘handbag’ or similar?) might be useful.

Whilst I’m sure that ‘purse slashers’ are a real thing - certainly more real than RFID-scanning bandits- I’d have thought that pickpockets would be reluctant to add the charge of carrying an offensive bladed weapon to their crimes.

Most robbery in my limited experience (military police some time ago) is opportunistic, unsophisticated and drug-related. (Apart from the Rome metro, where you might as well just hand your cash to a stranger. It saves time.).

The feasible precautions one can take against the eventuality are little more than common sense and staying alert, without being paranoid

I was taught "Metro Security 101" in Paris many years ago.

Anything you have should be on your non dominant side, preferably in a bag or possibly a pocket. All other pockets empty. This means you have only one side or one pocket to protect.

Keep your non dominant hand over bag (and/or pocket if applicable) at all times without fail.

This leaves your dominant hand free to grab onto something (train jerks), push someone away or whatever.

If you get jostled or something or someone reaches into one of your empty pockets, you know not to let your hand off the non dominant side and you just use the dominant hand to react.

Pickpockets are looking for easy marks. They recognize people doing this since it is such a common posture on public transport in Paris (just look around the next time your are on the Paris Metro or public transport in Italy). Pickpockets just move on looking for an easier or more distracted mark.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I read everything carefully because I am also looking for a solution. I definitely want something to strap to my body 24/7 or close to it. Pockets are not a solution for me. I am done with wearing a money belt under my clothes; I have done it many, many times while traveling but it’s just too uncomfortable and imho, not necessary during the day on the Camino. I also want to have certain things at my fingertips as I walk along. This is what I want to put in it:

Phone
Face mask
Tissues, handkerchief
Lip balm, eye drops
Credential
Tiny pouch for day money
Hand sanitizer
Pages torn from guidebook
Valuables: passport, cash stash, credit and atm cards in an interior zip pocket
Perhaps a tiny water bottle in hot weather. I prefer to carry several 8 oz / 250 ml ones, but only need one immediately accessible.

Basically the things I want to be able to reach without stopping while walking and what I would want with me at the table while at a cafe or when going out in the evening.

I previously carried a small crossbody Baggalini, but it bounced around too much and I ended up sticking it in my pack, which defeats the purpose, although it was nice to have in the evening. (I also really hated the design; it looked sharp, but the pockets and layout didn’t function well for me, as has been the case with other bags from that company. I know many people love them, but not me. I don’t think I will ever buy another.)

Waist bags have definitely circled ‘round to be trendy again. When Gucci is selling them for €750, you gotta believe it isn’t just tourist dorks wearing them anymore. Being aware of that, I bought one last summer, but it is far too small and lacked the organizing pockets I would like. Since I don’t I want anything bigger hanging from my waist, I was still looking for a better solution.

This discussion helped me realize that maybe what I want is a sling bag. So I just ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLX5LJD/?tag=casaivar02-20

View attachment 114595

I love how it looks, it’s small but not too small for my needs (I think), and there’s even a loop for attaching a scallop shell. 😁 The strap looks nice and comfortable, but I am concerned that the metal shortening mechanism thingie might be uncomfortable under my pack. I will have to load up my pack and try it out to see. There is the usual assortment of conflicting comments in the reviews about durability, but enough bad ones to make me a bit concerned about that aspect as well. The manufacturer does offer a lifetime guarantee, so I have my fingers crossed that all will be okay.
I own that bag. Love it in the city. It's a bit heavy and I didn't like the feel of the strap under my pack... but as a day bag: great. If you are forwarding your pack, could be perfect. I think it's much more ergonomic than a waist pack for those with lumbar spine issues.
Hope it works for you.

I own that bag. Love it in the city. It's a bit heavy and I didn't like the feel of the strap under my pack... but as a day bag: great. If you are forwarding your pack, could be perfect. I think it's much more ergonomic than a waist pack for those with lumbar spine issues.
Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the feedback. ❤️ I am not planning to forward my pack, but if I were, I would need a much larger daypack for rain gear, water, sunscreen, extra socks, etc. My plan is to have very, very little in it. The weight is similar to waist packs I was also looking at and actually less than the small Bagallinni I carried before, so I wasn’t too concerned about that, although less is better. I am concerned about how that strap is going to feel, but returns are easy with Amazon Prime, so we shall see.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I never said not to wear a waist pack! I only said to put your valuables in a silk money belt so you don't have to worry about pickpockets.
I wear both of them, on the Camino and in large cities. The waist pack is for all those things you want easy access to, glasses, phone, guide book, money for the day, credential. A money belt is for bank cards, big money.

Nope.

For those who would like to follow @henrythedog's lead . . .

1639044742993.png

A Fun Bunny, Belt Bag, Bum Sack, whatever informs the predator exactly where all your precious things are and that, conveniently, they are all in one place. It's like those "Beware of Pickpockets" signs - everyone instinctively pats the pocket where they keep their wallet and transforms themselves into a "mark" with one reflexive response.
If you're worried about theft, you can always use one of these packs from Pacsafe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use one of these from Osprey. It solves all the problems having to do with hanging from your waist as it attaches to your backpack straps. It also converts to a waist pack for use without the backpack. However, it is a little cumbersome to take it on and off the backpack for converting to a waist pack. They're also pretty hard to find these days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also when taking off your backpack to have a coffee or lunch?
I leave it attached to the pack when making a stop. There is a buckle that's easy enough to undo to take the pack off. The issue is when taking the grab bag completely off the pack or putting it back on. I normally leave it on most of the time unless I specifically need a waist pack. It probably takes 1-2 minutes to attach or detach from the backpack. Takes 1-2 seconds to unsnap the buckle to take the pack on and off.

You could probably put a second buckle/snap on it for quickly removing from the pack. I don't know why Osprey didn't do that to begin with.

I leave it attached to the pack when making a stop. There is a buckle that's easy enough to undo to take the pack off. The issue is when taking the grab bag completely off the pack or putting it back on. I normally leave it on most of the time unless I specifically need a waist pack. It probably takes 1-2 minutes to attach or detach from the backpack. Takes 1-2 seconds to unsnap the buckle to take the pack on and off.

You could probably put a second buckle/snap on it for quickly removing from the pack. I don't know why Osprey didn't do that to begin with.
p.s. It is extremely light.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I leave it attached to the pack when making a stop. There is a buckle that's easy enough to undo to take the pack off.
Does that mean that it's still attached to the backpack when you take it off?
One of the reasons why I like using a crossbody bag, and it would be the same for a waist pack, is that it always stays on me, whether I have my backpack on our not.

Does that mean that it's still attached to the backpack when you take it off?
One of the reasons why I like using a crossbody bag, and it would be the same for a waist pack, is that it always stays on me, whether I have my backpack on our not.
When you unsnap the buckle, it is still attached to one of your shoulder straps and there is short strap with a buckle attached to the other shoulder strap. To remove it completely from the backpack you need to unthread the plastic clasp. You can see it better than I can explain it in this at 2:40 in this video.

Also when taking off your backpack to have a coffee or lunch?
I used one of these in 2016 without any great drama getting my pack on or off. There is a clip that lets the pouch hang free when you are putting on or taking off a pack. Removing it entirely from the pack is a little more complicated, but not that difficult.

My main issue with it was it got very sweaty sitting against my chest. I needed to have paper based items in particular in a plastic ziploc bag. This may not be an issue for others.

If you're worried about theft, you can always use one of these packs from Pacsafe.

Although I did use a pacsafe waist pack, any determined thief won’t need to use a knife on any of your pockets, packs etc. … they’ll simply hold the knife to your face and demand you hand over your ‘valuables’.
It’s called mugging.

It happened to my son on the first stop of his round-the-world trip.
Well, it was Rio …
He‘d had the sense to take very little out with him … but they took his shoes!! (Not a desirable brand.) Presumably so that he couldn’t run after them.
As if …!!!

The rest of his year was relatively uneventful …
except for his (single) encounter with bed bugs!! 😉

Hi fellow pilgrims! Does anyone out there use a fanny pack/bumbag when walking the Camino? (well, I know some of you do, I've seen them out there!) I'm looking to add one to my Camino setup, and it seems like it could be super convenient to stash the things I might need throughout the day inside- money, of course, but also credential, little tube of sunscreen, a snack, tissues, etc. I've walked a number of Camino routes and don't mind swinging off my pack to access things from inside, but I'm thinking this could be something new to try!

So I'm just curious if you have any brands/models that you love, what your thoughts are about size (how small is too small, how big is too big, though of course I know it's all totally dependent on the individual).

Thanks in advance!

Nothing makes a person look more like a tourist than a fanny pack. Sorry for my sarcasm, but then anyone on the Camino is probably a tourist. I have never carried one and never will. I believe pants pockets large enough to carry your money, wallet, passport, etc. is a reasonable deterrent for a pickpocket or a creeps in an albergue. No one is going to stick a hand into my front pocket but they can easily slash and grab the money belt off my waist.
I use a fanny pack on my walks around home. I end up back at my home so I don't need to bring much besides my ID, face mask, handsanitizer and phone with my QR code along with some coin to stop for my coffee break. I don't think anyone cares what I look like- I certainly don't. Tourists are an asset to Spain and other countries. No need to hide the fact.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not camino'd so take this with as much salt as it needs.

I appreciate what biarritzdon and mspath are saying. I'm all for not looking like a tourist/target, and not being indiscreet. But I am going to look like someone who has enough cash to walk a camino no matter the backpack or clothes or... I also kinda hate what fanny waist packs/slings look like. But I need/want to come up with a solution for something to carry my frequent needful things so they're *on* me and easily accessible when the pack is off.

I'll probably be wearing a macabi skirt so I'll have some real estate in those pockets. But that doesn't solve for when I'm in the shower or asleep (since I doubt I'll sleep in the skirt). And I'm planning to bring a second skirt that packs down tiny and light but the pockets are, too.

I'm currently considering a small, minimal fanny waist pack from REI (which isn't on the website now but this is similar), just big enough for passport (because I'll need that daily, right?), credential, cellphone, a tissue, and a coin purse. Needful things that I'll access when I have the backpack with me, like sunscreen, lip balm and snacks will go in the hip belt or macabi pockets. Valuables will go in a money belt &or in a secret homemade pocket in the pack (a la Counting Everything).

Am I overthinking this? I'd love suggestions on non-waist pack options, and perhaps it should be its own thread so I'm not hijacking this one.
I bought mine in decathlon, it folds in on itself, is very useful to wear inside a walking skirt or shorts… I’m able to fit my passport, credential, cards and money, also my phone… takes up very little room and because it’s collapsible I wear it bed also…. I do this because in 2015 some of my valuables were taken while I was asleep one night…. Giving me a very good lesson on not letting things sit out while in bed or walking…. The best of luck in what you decide to do ☘️

Instead of a waist, I use a multi-pocket light-weight vest which holds my bank my office w/mini-computer and charger, snacks, sunglasses, sketch pad, pencils and a pen, sun screen and vitamins/meds.

The brand I bought is more expensive than when I bought it, Scotty Vest, but I am sure there are another companies that are less.

Buen Camino.

I appreciate this perspective... I'm thinking mostly about the utility of one for walking during the day, when I'm not generally concerned about theft. I've seen some models that double as a cross-body, which seems handy for post-walk wearing.
Years before Camino was a part of my life, I found a Kipling bag in a secondhand store. It’s approximately similar size to a bum bag, but it has clips, so I could use around waist as well as a purse. Sure, I’d prefer pockets, but this little bag has been with me at work, on walks , at concerts and two Caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Years before Camino was a part of my life, I found a Kipling bag in a secondhand store. It’s approximately similar size to a bum bag, but it has clips, so I could use around waist as well as a purse. Sure, I’d prefer pockets, but this little bag has been with me at work, on walks , at concerts and two Caminos.

Attachments

• 6D12DB72-E53D-48B7-9B6D-F2084DCD3E43.jpeg
    6D12DB72-E53D-48B7-9B6D-F2084DCD3E43.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
Hi fellow pilgrims! Does anyone out there use a fanny pack/bumbag when walking the Camino? (well, I know some of you do, I've seen them out there!) I'm looking to add one to my Camino setup, and it seems like it could be super convenient to stash the things I might need throughout the day inside- money, of course, but also credential, little tube of sunscreen, a snack, tissues, etc. I've walked a number of Camino routes and don't mind swinging off my pack to access things from inside, but I'm thinking this could be something new to try!

So I'm just curious if you have any brands/models that you love, what your thoughts are about size (how small is too small, how big is too big, though of course I know it's all totally dependent on the individual).

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
My wife and I both use Arcteryx Mantis I fanny packs. Best piece of kit we have. Perfect to carry passport, credencial, phone, wallet, lipgloss, pens, whatever bits you like to have at hand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used a Lowe Alpine belt pack for my caminos and found it very handy. My valuables were easy to take with me if I went out or to the shower and I clipped to my bunk at night, next to my pillow. It was rather snug for what I wanted and last year I bought an Atom Pack Roo (UK). I haven't yet walked a camino with it but use it every day anyway. My phone pops in the front and is quite secure but instantly accessible and there's plenty of room inside without it being bulky. I have the 2.5l zero waste version, made from scrap material, it weights 100g. It is very soft and squashy so I zip my jacket over the top if it rains. Apart from convenience I prefer the weight on my low tummy to thigh pockets. Personally I don't feel it to be any less secure than pockets.
I have the same, well made and handy. I might look like a tourist but prefer that to the having bulging pockets

Thanks in advance!
For me a bum bag is essential. Never mind appearance (why concern yourself with that, for goodness sake?), for carrying small items which may require close attention it beats rummaging around in the backpack which, of course, is consequently minimalised. Simples!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I sewed my own waist pack. It's light cotton trouser fabric, just a flat envelope with a divider in the middle and one zipper on the front. It ties around me with a shoelace sewn into the seams. The division closer to my body has the things I use less or not at all, but CANNOT lose - my home phone SIM card, my passport, etc. The outer division has money, hotel key if I have one, etc. I wear this "pack" under my trousers, at my waist. It's awkward to get to, and that's fine.

I wear full-length trousers with 4 pockets: front left for phone on a tether safety-pinned to my shirt. Front right for wallet tethered and pinned, and pocket knife. Back left for trash, as always. At home back right is for calendar. Not sure, when traveling. It's been a while. I carry food and water in my pack. I'm not in a hurry, and I like to sit down and have a rest with my refreshments.

I weigh all the things I take with me - I lay out all my underpants and sort them by weight and only take the lightest and oldest, so I can throw them away if ... Same for shirts and also shorts. I weigh all the bags I sort my things into - i bought some ultra-light fabric almost like tissue paper, very flimsy. I made a few small drawstring bags for food equipment - cup, spoon, cloth napkin and water filter; and so on.

And speaking of weight, I cut the excess strapping off my pack. I'm not going to get that much fatter, I don't need that extra 8"! And I cut the pockets off the waist-belt as they chafed my arms as I walked. I re-used that fabric to make another side-bottle-pocket.

Back to the cami Sant Jaume, some day...
Ellen

No
Yes, as one who lives in N. America... I recall making Irish family howl with laughter when I asked if it would be acceptable to wear pants to brunch. "Yes! please!" ... and much of the usual Irish humour that followed from there...
*Trousers*... *trousers*.... and a full awareness that my vocabulary choice had not been intended to offend.
Not offensive, amusing! So many new words to learn, at age 16, I was an American in London.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like having a water bottle handy right in front of me too. Find it too cumbersome to get a bottle out of the side of my pack when walking. Always looking for just the right size. The Sierra one above sounds perfect, but alas is not available.
I have walked 2 caminos alone (although never truly alone really) and I found it really annoying having to take my pack off to get to my water bottle all the time. So I ended up investing in a belt that held my water bottle and just a couple of other things. It was the only thing I could find prior to my last camino in early 2020 (snuck in prior to covid). It is made by Summit Gear in Katoomba but I'm sure there are other similar things available elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_5001.jpg
    IMG_5001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
This year I used a waist bag whilst training locally, and an Aarn Backpack for the CF.
On a couple of days my back was playing up and choose to forward backpack forward. Hopefully 2022 I shall take both as it gives that extra flexibility. The waist bag is big enough for “sensitive/ attractive” items in the front pocket and waterproofs, water, snacks in the main pocket.
I’ve used the waist bag at the rear generally but on the front in cities.
Yes a little extra weight but would recommend.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I cut the pockets off the waist-belt as they chafed my arms as I walked
This is a good idea for me! I have the same problem on my Osprey pack as the side pockets are very small and nearly useless as I can carry everything I need in my waistbag. The zippers are tight and difficult to open while walking and the stiff mesh protruding is what chaffs my arms, possibly due to narrow shoulders.

My wife and I both use Arcteryx Mantis I fanny packs. Best piece of kit we have. Perfect to carry passport, credencial, phone, wallet, lipgloss, pens, whatever bits you like to have at hand.

Thanks for this tip. I looked into these and they seem terrific, but nearly sold out everywhere. I did find one and ordered it, so I will test it out and see, but I have a good feeling about it.

Thanks in advance!
I love my waist pack which has places to hold water and is big enough for a guide book. I just ordered one from Amazon. The brand is Everest

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've found this thread helpful and entertaining, but one thing I've found a bit perplexing is the focus on security. I certainly agree that keeping your valuables close is a good idea, eg at night or when showering, but it's hard to imagine many situations on the Camino when you're so tightly packed that pickpocketing is a concern, especially during COVID when I walked for 2 weeks without ever being within a meter of another human being.

Maybe it's because I live in one of the most "dangerous" cities in the US, but I left my money belt at home on this most recent trip and never felt even the smallest risk. That said, I am now considering a waist pack/belly bag because it was annoying to remove my day pack from the top of my backpack whenever I stopped.

I've found this thread helpful and entertaining, but one thing I've found a bit perplexing is the focus on security. I certainly agree that keeping your valuables close is a good idea, eg at night or when showering, but it's hard to imagine many situations on the Camino when you're so tightly packed that pickpocketing is a concern,
Other than at airports when I am in transit or the few times in large cities if wedged between groups of tourists, I never worry about pickpockets on the Camino. The other exception is when overnighting in the albergues. I make sure my waistbag is with me at all times; showering and sleeping included.

I've found this thread helpful and entertaining, but one thing I've found a bit perplexing is the focus on security. I certainly agree that keeping your valuables close is a good idea, eg at night or when showering, but it's hard to imagine many situations on the Camino when you're so tightly packed that pickpocketing is a concern, especially during COVID when I walked for 2 weeks without ever being within a meter of another human being.

Maybe it's because I live in one of the most "dangerous" cities in the US, but I left my money belt at home on this most recent trip and never felt even the smallest risk. That said, I am now considering a waist pack/belly bag because it was annoying to remove my day pack from the top of my backpack whenever I stopped.

The more things that I must keep an eye on, like multiple packs, the more at risk I am of having something snatched or the contents pilfered. Things that are absolutely essential and extremely difficult to replace are my identification documents like my passport, my immunization card, my Credencial, and my debit/credit cards. Those are contained in a waterproof pouch that can be worn with a lanyard around my neck and under my shirt or inside a zippered pocket. Money is also secured in the pouch.

Things that are essential to health, like prescribed medications, are kept inside the backpack; I keep the dosages I need to take while walking in a hipbelt pocket or pants pocket. The most frequently needed things, like smartphone camera, are also kept in a hipbelt pocket and can easily be transferred to a pants or shorts pocket.

Anything else that I may want periodic access to lives in one of the zippered (Velcro closing) external pockets built into the backpack. These are also items where I am willing to combine a stop to get them, with taking a short rest break. It makes any such interruptions a multitasking event.

Aside from trying to keep track of multiple bags, I simply do not care to wear multiple packs regardless of size. Ever since the military, I find doing so quite annoying. I have tried to combine my backpack with wearing small waist bags or cross carry bags or accessory bags attached to hipbelts. . I simply did not like wearing more than one pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The more things that I must keep an eye on, like multiple packs, the more at risk I am of having something snatched or the contents pilfered. Things that are absolutely essential and extremely difficult to replace are my identification documents like my passport, my immunization card, my Credencial, and my debit/credit cards. Those are contained in a waterproof pouch that can be worn with a lanyard around my neck and under my shirt or inside a zippered pocket. Money is also secured in the pouch.

Things that are essential to health, like prescribed medications, are kept inside the backpack; I keep the dosages I need to take while walking in a hipbelt pocket or pants pocket. The most frequently needed things, like smartphone camera, are also kept in a hipbelt pocket and can easily be transferred to a pants or shorts pocket.

Anything else that I may want periodic access to lives in one of the zippered (Velcro closing) external pockets built into the backpack. These are also items where I am willing to combine a stop to get them, with taking a short rest break. It makes any such interruptions a multitasking event.

Aside from trying to keep track of multiple bags, I simply do not care to wear multiple packs regardless of size. Ever since the military, I find doing so quite annoying. I have tried to combine my backpack with wearing small waist bags or cross carry bags or accessory bags attached to hipbelts. . I simply did not like wearing more than one pack.
I agree that there aren't many things that need to be kept close at hand. Unfortunately, pockets in women's clothing are pretty much useless -- a card and some euros are fine, but that is about the limit.

More generally, I thought it might be helpful to add that over 25+ years of traveling to 50+ countries, I've been robbed twice, fortunately nonviolently in both cases. Both times were upsetting and inconvenient, but neither was catastrophic or even shortened my trip.

I agree that there aren't many things that need to be kept close at hand. Unfortunately, pockets in women's clothing are pretty much useless -- a card and some euros are fine, but that is about the limit.

More generally, I thought it might be helpful to add that over 25+ years of traveling to 50+ countries, I've been robbed twice, fortunately nonviolently in both cases. Both times were upsetting and inconvenient, but neither was catastrophic or even shortened my trip.
I understand. I wear the pouch carried under the shirt which has - thus far - kept the scary and maddening things you have experienced from happening to me. Not a complete guarantee of escaping a robbers assault, but great for the hit and run types that snatch and grab. The downside is that it will only carry the essential valuables and money, but won't work for carrying a great deal more.

I do carry about 50 Euros at any given time, in a pocket with a Velcro flap on the pants or shorts I wear. It is a sacrificial 'take this and don't hurt me' diversion for any run-ins with do-bads..

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought mine in decathlon, it folds in on itself, is very useful to wear inside a walking skirt or shorts… I’m able to fit my passport, credential, cards and money, also my phone… takes up very little room and because it’s collapsible I wear it bed also…. I do this because in 2015 some of my valuables were taken while I was asleep one night…. Giving me a very good lesson on not letting things sit out while in bed or walking…. The best of luck in what you decide to do ☘️
When I was backpacking around Europe in the early 80s and carrying thousands of dollars for my 6 month jaunt in travelers cheques, I had a money belt that went under my trousers (to keep in mind potential linguistic confusion mentioned upthread). I would keep a small amount of cash in my pockets for daily expsnses.

Travelers cheques! That was a different era of travel. Before the Internet and cell phones, when night trains were ubiquitous.

I can't imagine keeping all my cash and cell phone inside my shorts. It would be quite awkward to pull them out with the frequency that I use them. To each their own.

Thanks in advance!
I use one I bought at Mountain Equipment Coop (Canada). Has a zippered pouch and 2 pockets for water bottles. Never hike without it.

I like having a water bottle handy right in front of me too. Find it too cumbersome to get a bottle out of the side of my pack when walking. Always looking for just the right size. The Sierra one above sounds perfect, but alas is not available.
Try a Jansport… I’ve worn one for 5 Caminos… $12 well spent. Two zippered pockets hold my passport, some euros, my cellphone, etc. Right in front, buckled under my pack waist belt… I like it!!

Thanks in advance!
I used a waterproof one. Found it very handy indeed.

Thanks in advance!
I think the fanny pack is a great idea. Good to keep things handy and it you can keep your valuable item with you when you walk into a bar for lunch. Just make sure that it does not impede your movements and it does not rub against you under your packs waist band.

I used a ZPack Multipack on four Caminos and it has worked well for me -
-not too big and has good flexibility as to how it can be worn.
Only disadvantage I've experienced is that it's not waterproof, though easy enough to use a plastic bag inside of the Multipack.
I feel it is too big ( too tempting for extra stuff) also perspiration. Same thing, half size would be more convenient. When on the Camino I found that I ditched most of my stuff and lived for 3 weeks out of a backpack carrying only 10 kilos. (I’m a female in her 70’s!) It only takes ruthless planning: comfortable well broken in boots (essential) 4 pairs of socks (2 thick, 2 thin) (one thick & one thin stops chafing, I had no problems with blisters). 2 of everything else, good wind jacket that served as a blanket with cotton sleeping bag. Airplane wet pack (everything small!) and the advantage of a 10 kilo backpack, luggage goes on board plane with you - no hassles, no lost luggage, no waiting for luggage to come through 😝.

Thanks in advance!
I don’t think the label of tourist is relevant as Nadine is asking for advice about which bumbag we’ve used, no offence meant. I wear one for convenience and safety and mine has worn out so I’ve purchased one from USA called Ventura 4th which has two zipped pockets. A decent strap which can’t be cut easily if you put it on before you put on your backpack. It carries my passport, credit cards & a small amount of cash and has room for a iPhone 11, which is quite big. It probably could take a snack & a few tissues in the back which has a sleeve without a zip but it will make it bulky. It can be worn inside or outside of clothes. I carry snacks on the side pockets of my rucksack so that frees up the space in the bag.
Although rare, a pilgrim had everything taken a few years ago and fortunately had a bum bag in their bed so although dressed only in pyjamas, passport money and essentials were safe and everyone in the Albergue paid for everything they lost to be replaced. As a solo walker, I’ve had some close encounters and I’m glad to have one. Excuse long winded answer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Months and months later... this is the waist pack I bought! I used it on a short Camino last month and really loved it :) Thank you so much for sharing what worked for you, @Wanderingfriend !

Nadine, I do not know how many Forum members are aware of both your website and your YouTube channel. I want to encourage folks to explore both. I have enjoyed your videography and narrative style on your Camino videos which you've published on YouTube.

When I watch a YouTube video and wish it were a lot longer, well, that is the best praise I can give. I wish yours were a lot longer. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nadine, I do not know how many Forum members are aware of both your website and your YouTube channel. I want to encourage folks to explore both. I have enjoyed your videography and narrative style on your Camino videos which you've published on YouTube.

When I watch a YouTube video and wish it were a lot longer, well, that is the best praise I can give. I wish yours were a lot longer. :)

Thank you for such kind words, @davebugg , and for giving a "shout out" to my blog and YouTube channels. Labors of love, for sure, and I just love sharing my Camino/walking experiences.

I came back to this thread yesterday to get a link for my latest video... all about the waist pack I carried on my little Camino last month! So for anyone interested, here's that video :)

I've used this Travelon Anti-Theft Waist Pack on two Caminos, and on my daily training walks. The images don't show the water bottle pocket that can be deployed as needed and that I find most useful. I carry a smaller water bottle in the waist pack in front, and a larger bottle or two in my backpack. This waist pack is marketed as theftproof, with locking zipper pulls and a locking buckle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TQTWGW/?tag=casaivar02-20View attachment 114487
I'm so glad you shared this! I have been overthinking the waist pack decision, trying to find one that will hold the essentials without feeling too bulky. I also wanted it to have slash proof material and locking zippers to thwart pickpockets. Fortunately waist packs are kinda in style more now so they may not stand out as super touristy as they did in the past. You can also wear it as a crossbody by expanding the waistband. I like how Travelon puts the clasp for the waist near the front so you can keep an eye on it.

€60,-
As well as having essentials to hand while walking, my main concerns are about security especially while travelling before and after camino. Plus, as a fellow peregrina kindly put it, I have a special talent for losing things.

My system in slightly different to others:

Spare cash, credit card and passport in silk money belt . I notice if I don't have it on, and don't find it uncomfortable. At night the belt goes in the pouch which is in my sleeping bag or under pillow , depending on circumstances.

Change purse, credential, phone, comb and laminated copy of passport critical pages live in small light cotton pouch with strap. While I'm actually walking on the Camino, this stays in the zipped top pocket of my pack. If I stop and move away from my pack it comes out and goes round my neck or over my shoulder. Cotton handkerchief and lip salve in hip pockets of my pack. The pouch is decent enough to wear out in the evening or after camino. Waterbottles go in pack side pockets: they are accessible while moving but I prefer to take my pack off for a proper break when I drink.

I'm thinking of trying to make or buy some sort of shoulder strap pocket so my phone is more accessible while walking. It doesn't feel comfortable or secure to have it in my trouser or hip pockets. I know a waist pack would solve this problem, but I don't want an extra strap round my waist plus they are heavier and all seem to have horrible logos on. A cross body bag would also solve the problem, but sadly I don't have enough flat space for one between pack belt and bra. Does anyone use shoulder pockets?

I think anytime you have to keep moving your items from one place to another, you risk forgetting them at least once, and for things like big money and bank cards, that is not a ideal. Keeping them on the top of your back pack sounds a bit unsafe?
My waist pack is not large or heavy, has no logos on it and I honestly don't notice it around my waist. It has my phone, passport, glasses, pilgrim pass in a plastic cover (from Ivar), and my small money for the day. My silk money belt has big money and bankcards. If I have to go through a big city like Madrid, I may put my passport in there too. If your waist pack is heavy, that is because you put too much stuff in it. There are days I may have my guide book in there, but that is something that can live on top of my pack in that zippered area.

Edit: Waist packs are super popular in Europe and have been for at least 3 years. They no longer mark someone as a tourist, like they did a number of years ago. Usually worn cross body, but not all the time. Wait til you see all the Spanish teens wearing them.

Last edited:
Nothing makes a person look more like a tourist than a fanny pack
If you think you are not instantly recognisable as a tourist whatever you carry or wear, then think again. Waist bags are handy, my main fear is that the waist strap of my backpack will rub them so I use a small shoulder bag instead. The best protection against pickpockets etc is what they call situational awareness. Having said that, Outside of tourist traps, Spain ranks pretty low down on the scale of risky countries.

€60,-
Thank you for such kind words, @davebugg , and for giving a "shout out" to my blog and YouTube channels. Labors of love, for sure, and I just love sharing my Camino/walking experiences.

I came back to this thread yesterday to get a link for my latest video... all about the waist pack I carried on my little Camino last month! So for anyone interested, here's that video :)

Thanks so much for the excellent content you provide on your YouTube channel! I will definitely be rocking my waist pack on the camino frances this September.

In my case, I wear a fabric Decathlon pouch around my neck with my passport, money and cards under my hiking shirts. I like shirts and I like to have a collar. This pouch never leaves my body even when I'm sleeping. I also have a 2.5L waterproof Dymeena chest pack slung around my neck for my phone, glasses, and other odds and ends. I like these things to be instantly available to me. I do not attach my chest pack to my rucksack. In the evening when I go out for a drink or a meal my chest pack becomes my 'mans handbag.'

I don’t think the label of tourist is relevant as Nadine is asking for advice about which bumbag we’ve used, no offence meant. I wear one for convenience and safety and mine has worn out so I’ve purchased one from USA called Ventura 4th which has two zipped pockets. A decent strap which can’t be cut easily if you put it on before you put on your backpack. It carries my passport, credit cards & a small amount of cash and has room for a iPhone 11, which is quite big. It probably could take a snack & a few tissues in the back which has a sleeve without a zip but it will make it bulky. It can be worn inside or outside of clothes. I carry snacks on the side pockets of my rucksack so that frees up the space in the bag.
Although rare, a pilgrim had everything taken a few years ago and fortunately had a bum bag in their bed so although dressed only in pyjamas, passport money and essentials were safe and everyone in the Albergue paid for everything they lost to be replaced. As a solo walker, I’ve had some close encounters and I’m glad to have one. Excuse long winded answer!
I’ve bought another waist pack which is for wearing on top of clothes and is larger but still compact. The clasp is sturdy and there are 4 zip compartments. Two larger and two smaller compartments. It’s big enough for an iPhone 11 in the back pocket and a hidden compartment for cash, a second compartment has room for a passport, small credit card size purse, tissues, hand sanitiser and there are two credit card holders. It also has a key ring.The smallest front pocket can house keys and earplugs and lens cleaner for example. There is a spare extra belt to make it into a shoulder bag which I don’t use but it can also make a wider waist bag. It comes in several colours. It’s from Waterfly. It’s not waterproof but rain resistant.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.