• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let's talk weight... BODY weight

AlexanderAZ

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 (Sept/Oct): CF: SJPdP-->Fisterra-->Muxia (solo)
2019 (late Sept): CF: SJPdP-->Leon (honeymoon!)
For those who are comfortable participating in this thread, I'm wanting to know how your body weight fluctuated from start to finish while doing the Camino (whatever distance you covered). If you don't feel comfortable posting your starting and finishing weight then percentage lost would work as well. (Example: if you started the Camino at 200lbs and finished at 185lbs then you lost 15lbs which is 7.5% of your starting weight.). Including if you were trying to lose weight would be helpful as well. I realize there are many factors (metabolism, age, gender, pace, etc.,). I haven't been able to find this topic being discussed on the forum.

AlexanderAZ

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check out these two earlier Forum threads re weight loss while walking the camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/weight-loss.24777/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/loss-of-body-weight.3652/

In 2004 at 65 when I first began walking my height was 172 cm and weight 65 kilos. By the end of that camino and ever since my weight remains 61 kilos. Yet each time entering Santiago I physically felt remade; my bones may have been the same but they seemed re configured.

Perhaps even more important than any physical slimming down and tightening up was the psychological change during each camino. I have learned my limits as well as the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Compared with ten climbs up O Cebreiro daily trivialities in ordinary life now have little importance!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first camino I wasn't prepared/fit and was lucky I was able to complete it. The fluctuation was tremendous.

From 90kg to around 78kg. 13.3% (early forties)

Past few years it was more stable as I am fitter, exercise regularly and ate better.

From 75kg down to 73kg. 2.6% (early fifties)

Still will lose a bit on the road, mainly around the backside as I guess that's where my fat reserves are kept. :)

I am male, mid-50's, and generally live at about 20-30 pounds overweight (assuming a BMI of 25 is the measure of "correct"). I do not often weigh myself. In none of my three walks along the Camino Frances have I noticed any significant weight loss. By contrast walking from Canterbury to Rome in summer 2015 I lost a little over 30 pounds in 66 days - approximately 15% of my body weight. I think there were three main reasons for this difference. Firstly food was far more readily (and cheaply) available along the Camino Frances - the infrastructure for pilgrims is far greater. The second reason may be that for much of the Via Francigena I was walking in hot weather which has the effect of suppressing my appetite greatly. The third factor is probably that I carried a larger load of about 14kg as I had a tent and other camping gear.

I typically lose a pound a day, and then for 7-10 after getting home as my metabolism is revved up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Male, 48 years old and 1,80 m long. I lost 12 kilo's (went from 81 to 69 kg) and it all happened before I got to SJPDP. As Bradypus said, food is more readily available in Spain, but I just couldn't eat back on what I lost in Belgium and France, where getting a regular/affordable diner was more of a challenge.

I am 26 pounds total lighter from the day I started training for my first Camino de Santiago walk, from SJPP to SdC.

I am down 18 pounds since last year around this time, since right before my second walk.

Part of this is because I have pre diabetes and began using a medication, though (there are variables, including meds, gender, other factors--always and for everyone).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am 6 ft 1 inch tall and weigh approximately 200 lbs.

During each of my Camino's I have lost 12-15 lbs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On each of my four Caminos, I lost about .75 to 1 pound per day. So, I would lose from 10 - 20 pounds.

However, like lost luggage, once I return home and to my more sedentary ways, the weight finds me once more...:eek:

Last edited:
My wife and I are both over 60 and we have completed the journey from St Jean to Santiago twice and both times we both lost around 14lbs, but hey it did not take long to put it all back on!!!!

I walked my first and only Camino April 20, '16 to May 20. 61 years young, Type I diabetes, and trained properly. I started at 139 lbs. and finished about 125. My legs were stronger than ever but upper body deteriorated. I had an intestinal and fever flu bug for several days near the last week and then fought with a bad case of acid reflux from taking too much ibuprofen (at night to help swollen, throbbing feet) so didn't eat well the final week prior to Santiago. It took a few months after coming home to get back to my normal weight, and now weigh more than I ever have, by a few pounds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I lost about 15 pounds when I walked SJPP to SdC in 2013 (around 10% of my starting weight) - I'm glad that I had a belt with me to keep my trousers up :) I felt great though! When I walked SJPP to Burgos in 2015 I lost 5 or 6 pounds.

I probably lost so much the first time because sometimes I struggled to find something to eat - for medical reasons i'm not allowed grains of any kind, sugar, milk or starchy vegetables (like potatoes). The first time around I made the mistake of leaving SJPP with very little food apart from some nuts and dried fruit. At Orisson I ate the fish at dinner but not the soup or dessert - thankfully I'm good with wine and coffee :) I found a single tin of pate in the vending machines at Roncesvalles that I could eat - I had stupidly thought there would be a shop there that I could buy food from! Boy was I hungry by the time I got to Zubiri at the end of day 3!

In 2013 when I arrived back home my husband had come to pick me up and just stood open mouthed looking as he couldn't believe how different I looked.

I was quite overweight when I did my first camino and I lost nearly 9kg overall. The second time I walked I'd lost a little more weight but it was a shorter camino.

In 2016 I lost 25kg through diet and when I walked the VdlP I expected to lose a little more but actually I only lost 1.5kg over the 1000km. I think this might have been because I usually walk faster and longer distances but my walking buddy could not do this, so we kept her pace.

Also it was harder to get food on the VdlP so we ate more 'junk' than we would usually eat.

I certainly noticed I was fitter, stronger and more muscle definition after the VdlP :rolleyes:

I never weighed myself before or after the CF's I walked, but I definitely lost a lot of weight each time, and I base that on how loosely my clothes fit, and that the belt I wore each time became too big and the belt tip was all the way to my back by the time I reached Santiago. I would guess I lost an average of about 20 pounds each time. Unfortunately I gain it all back. Impossible for me to duplicate the caloric burn off the CF.
When I walked it in 2013 I gotta admit, by the time I reached Santiago I was the fittest and leanest I had been in years. My brother-in-law picked me up at the airport when I got home and he said he almost didn't recognize me.
I would lose that weight on the Camino even though I never held back on what I ate and drank. The typical three course meals, lots of bread and wine and cold beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've walked two partial CF's and lost nothing. My legs have always been fit from walking (except for my knees). My butt gets "more solid" over the weeks on the trail. And my upper body? Let's say I enjoyed my meals.

Base weight is 58 kg. I was not trying to lose weight. Gain muscle sure.

In 2012 I lost 3 kg. I ate plenty. Food readily available all along CF in markets, bars, restaurants, some albergues. Pilgrim menu or menu del día was substantial. Had to carry a bit more food on the Norte. I just tend to lose weight when I walk all day.

In 2015 I lost 4.5 kg. I was hungry! Stores closed at midday, on Sunday's, and often on Monday's. Needed to carry more food. I thought I was a big cheese eater but boy was I wrong. Cheese, every meal, and bread with jam! Hard to admit I got tired of both. Where are the bars in France? And if you find one, they don't have food. Again, I was hungry!

This was just my experience. Others ate great in France, others so-so in Spain. The camino is unique and that's why we love about it!

@alejandro77 are you simply interested or is there a particular reason for posting this question?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like most of the others lost 20lbs & 4inches in the waist. Another benefit of the Camino. That was after training for 2 months prior. I think the diet & all the water one drinks really help the weight loss. I figure I drank 2-3 L of water every day. My average distance the first 2 weeks was 16 miles/25.7K a day, then I bumped it up to 18 miles /29k a day after that. Just a side note the best snack was the pears along the way & cervasa after 1400hrs.

Like most of the others lost 20lbs & 4inches in the waist. Another benefit of the Camino. That was after training for 2 months prior. I think the diet & all the water one drinks really help the weight loss. I figure I drank 2-3 L of water every day. My average distance the first 2 weeks was 16 miles/25.7K a day, then I bumped it up to 18 miles /29k a day after that. Just a side note the best snack was the pears along the way & cervasa after 1400hrs.
I never thought of that and would probably be a definite factor. I probably drank at least 4 liters of water every 24 hour period while walking the Camino. Something I don't do at home.

Until my early 20's I was very fit and lean (60kg at 180cm) because of all the sports I was training from being 7 y/o (swimming, basketball, skiing, climbing). But after climbing accident and badly hurting my knees I gained 50% of my body weight in half a year and never since then being able to put it down more than kilo or two with usual sports activity.
So when I departed for my first "complete" Camino (CF) in 2011 I started with 96kg and returned 18kg lighter, almost 19%.
On next various Caminos in 2014, 2015 & 2016 (distances between 800-1100kms) I only lost between 8- 10kg on average starting weight of 93kg (almost 10% on average). Don't know why weight loss is less but for my age (46 now) because I eat and drink the same.
I have very thin and lean muscless and I can't really notice any great difference in my legs muscles (got much more stamina though) but my back was definitely a looot stronger and my face was looking much younger. Also my beer-belly was gone. I guess as a beer drinker I accumulate a lot of water in my body through the year and whatever the physical activity is I'm sweating a lot and some of my Caminos were really hot :)
Anyway when I came back my ex-girlfriend said I was looking like a model and "please stay that way, you look so attractive all tanned and lean" :D
I guess I should do another Camino and found a new girlfriend ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I have only done training walks, I have not lost much weight. My waist is smaller and I have lost fat, but my mussels are larger. Simply trading fat for denser mussels is ok with me.

At 105 lbs, ( 5 ft tall) I really don't want to lose weight.

I cannot give exact weight figures, but I do lose weight each time I go on the Camino. Trousers get loose around the waist. I have coped with this by buying two very large snap fasteners and stitching one on either side of my trousers waist band, the two parts being about four centimeter apart. As I loose weight I can first fasten one fastener and later the other. This helps to keep a snug fit.

I have noticed in Santiago that the trousers of men who have walked from the Pyrenees are very loose over their rear ends.. My friend Betty and I used to laugh and say "By their baggy trousers thou shall know them" ie those who have walked from the Pyrenees!!!

I walked from Irun to Santiago over a period of 6 weeks and lost 10 lbs. I'm 60 and I went from 145 to 135 lbs. or about 7% of my body weight. I was much more toned, much stronger and my metabolism stayed revved up for several weeks afterwards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I kind of screwed up the balance of energy in v energy expended I think :oops:

I think I started at 93 kg (very overweight at 175cm) and finished at 91 kg. But I ate very well for the whole 40 days...

I felt I lost quite a lot in the first 2/3 of the Camino, (maybe down to 88) but probably put some back on in the last 1/3. I had to slow right down and walk shorter days due to injury, but still ate the same amount :oops: It is tempting , for me at least, to over eat. And to drink too much of the great wine!

I certainly lost inches...

Next time around? (2018)

My starting weight will be closer to 80 kg or less. All that excess weight was hard on my legs and feet. And I won't snack so much on junk....and sports drinks....

As an "over 65" male I am doing ok at keeping fit but stuck on 97 kg (or around 210 pounds) @ 185 cm (around 6 ft). I think I lost 3 or 4 kg on the Camino. The biggest noticeable change was around the mid-section which was a good area to reduce. Of course the down side is that muscle weighs more than fat so as you convert the flabby into firm you might gain a 500gm /1 kg. Still I think my doctor would be happy to see me reducing the fat. Good thread. :)

For those who are comfortable participating in this thread, I'm wanting to know how your body weight fluctuated from start to finish while doing the Camino (whatever distance you covered). If you don't feel comfortable posting your starting and finishing weight then percentage lost would work as well. (Example: if you started the Camino at 200lbs and finished at 185lbs then you lost 15lbs which is 7.5% of your starting weight.). Including if you were trying to lose weight would be helpful as well. I realize there are many factors (metabolism, age, gender, pace, etc.,). I haven't been able to find this topic being discussed on the forum.

AlexanderAZ
An interesting question. My partner and I have always lost weight but we tend to eat small Spanish breakfast, one main meal a day, the menu del dia, then fruit and yogurt. What I do wonder at is how some folk manage to eat so much and then walk. Wow. If you are drinking fizzy drinks you will never be able to walk the sugar they contain off and they just make you thirstier. The Camino can be an opportunity to think about what you eat and how much. Tony Kevin's book. Walking the Camino has some interesting things to say about his experience of eating and drinking too much, as well as being a lovely reflective look at the Camino de la Plata. I just love feeling fitter as the walking goes on. From feeling as if my (small ) pack weighs a ton, to hoisting it over my shoulders as if it was a handbag.

I walked my first and only Camino April 20, '16 to May 20. 61 years young, Type I diabetes, and trained properly. I started at 139 lbs. and finished about 125. My legs were stronger than ever but upper body deteriorated. I had an intestinal and fever flu bug for several days near the last week and then fought with a bad case of acid reflux from taking too much ibuprofen (at night to help swollen, throbbing feet) so didn't eat well the final week prior to Santiago. It took a few months after coming home to get back to my normal weight, and now weigh more than I ever have, by a few pounds.
I am also a Type 1 diabetic - starting out in late April of this year from SJPP. I am currently walking at least 7 miles a day around the neighborhood plus at least one full backpack hike a week. Did you have any diabetic issues/advice you could share with me? Thanks.

Base weight is 58 kg. I was not trying to lose weight. Gain muscle sure.

In 2012 I lost 3 kg. I ate plenty. Food readily available all along CF in markets, bars, restaurants, some albergues. Pilgrim menu or menu del día was substantial. Had to carry a bit more food on the Norte. I just tend to lose weight when I walk all day.

In 2015 I lost 4.5 kg. I was hungry! Stores closed at midday, on Sunday's, and often on Monday's. Needed to carry more food. I thought I was a big cheese eater but boy was I wrong. Cheese, every meal, and bread with jam! Hard to admit I got tired of both. Where are the bars in France? And if you find one, they don't have food. Again, I was hungry!

This was just my experience. Others ate great in France, others so-so in Spain. The camino is unique and that's why we love about it!

@alejandro77 are you simply interested or is there a particular reason for posting this question?

As the OP, I assume you are asking me this question even though I'm not alejandro77? I posted the question to get a sense of what the average weight loss is for the average person and hopefully get a few responses from outliers like me who have a hummingbird metabolism and are already very lean. I'm not a "fizzy" (soda/alcohol) drinker or sugar eater so finding those seemingly readily available calories won't help me much. I'm extremely active and easily able to "manage" my metabolic inferno here at home. Based on the replies, I'm thinking I better allow for extra weight & space for my pack weight in the form of calories. Thanks for all the replies!!

92 kilos Starting and 88 when I got home. Walked in cold wet weather and burned a lot of cals which, even with all the eating, I was unable to replace fully.

Is there anything in retrospect you would have done differently to mitigate the loss or "replace fully"?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Based on the replies, I'm thinking I better allow for extra weight & space for my pack weight in the form of calories.
There is no shortage of calories available at frequent intervals on the Camino Frances. Unless you have a lot of dietary restrictions, you just need to remember to eat a bit more than usual! Carry some nuts and a bocadillo for emergencies and you'll be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First you should ask if the weight loss was welcome, in which case no mitigation would be desired!

I assumed saying "unable to fully replace" implied the deficit was not welcome or was in some way problematic which is why I asked about the mitigation. My concern is definitely being unable to fully replace and it would not be welcome.

Oops, yes I meant to address the OP, thanks @AlexanderAZ .
Like you, I too have a hummingbird metabolism and am already very lean. One of the first things I heard when I returned home was "you're too skinny".

I took a cheap, thin, light grocery type bag and kept my snack/lunch food in it (with stinky cheese in a ziplock bag). I liked the bag because I took it shopping with me when done hiking for the day. The food items I carried were nuts, fruit, bread, cheese, yogurt, chocolate, cookies/breakfast bars, a carton of fruit juice, and sometimes a hard boiled egg.

Here's a food peek...
Yes, I carried a carton of juice:
412.JPG
Communal meals:
466.JPG 493.JPG
Foods to entice you:
437.JPG 503.JPG 654.JPG
Splurge:
364.JPG 679.JPG

Is there anything in retrospect you would have done differently to mitigate the loss or "replace fully"?
Honestly, I don't know...walk less, eat more!
I even drank beer (and I don't do carbonation) because I think it has more calories or carbs or something, it's definitely filling. ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first Camino I was very fit before starting and was 72kg (161lb). At the finish I was even fitter ! at 68kg (152lb). equals 6% loss. On subsequent caminos I didn't bother about body weight but I know I lose some weight, and then put it back on again. A good weight for me is 71/72kg which I am now. Pack weight is of far more importance to me.

I doubt I could have, We ate breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, late lunch and dinner. All this interspersed with coffee stops and pastries. We were burning about 6000 cals per day, I don't know what our intake was but it was high. Maybe 88 kilos is my ideal body weight, that weight you drop to when exercising a lot, but will drop no further.
At 193 centimeters (6'4") I consider 88k (13.85 stone) a bit too light, 92k (14.5 st.) is my comfortable weight.

As I posted above this has not been a problem for me on the Camino Frances but has happened elsewhere. When I have been concerned about running a big calorie deficit I like to carry low bulk, low weight, but very calorific food like salami and cheese. Big fat content means lots of calories. As a Brit I find cheese relatively expensive in Spain but the range of dried sausages and meats is remarkable and cheap.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am also a Type 1 diabetic - starting out in late April of this year from SJPP. I am currently walking at least 7 miles a day around the neighborhood plus at least one full backpack hike a week. Did you have any diabetic issues/advice you could share with me? Thanks.
Excellent! You'll have a great trip. I used a small Frio cooling pack to carry insulin. 'Brought way more than I needed but better too much than not enough. I found I was best only taking the Lantus/long acting in the morning and not taking the short acting when walking, but needed it in the afternoon, evening after food and more sedentary. I was very careful about my feet and worried about getting infected in an open blister in community showers, but used kiniesiology tape on potential blisters, (hardly had any) and found if I started early and quit early I was the often the first one in a clean shower. I also brought ten Cliff bars and rationed them through the walk, and carried bananas and chocolate, which are available everywhere. I was surprised that "first" breakfast is only coffee and toast or a pastry. 'Not enough when starting out with a day of walking ahead, so bought yogurt at the markets to eat until second breakfast of tortilla y potata. I started ramping up the miles about this time last year. Try and find some hills, and try and do longer hikes a few days in a row. My time was limited, so never took a day off, averaging 16.5 miles/day. I regret rushing too much. Keeping your pack weight down is all about the feet. Buen Camino!

AlexanderAZ

I was exactly the same-- I thought I might have lost weight, but no. Probably because I had a chocolate break every few hours. ;)

I lost 8 pounds over the 21 days I was away - 12 of those were walking on the Camino. Since June 28 I have been on a weight loss journey, however, during my pilgrimage I made no conscious effort to lose weight. The fact that I am celiac prevented me from fully participating in the large meals and pilgrim menus, add to that the fact I don't drink alcohol. I ate frugally yet I never left the table hungry. I discovered my favourite chip flavour on the Camino - Ruffles jamon flavoured - and indulged once in a while.:p It's a good thing they are not available in Canada, my weight loss efforts would have gone out the window. :rolleyes: As I progressed, I found I had to tighten the hip strap on my pack for it to sit properly. The weight loss journey continues.

On a side note, last TuesdayI gave a presentation on my pilgrimage and as a part of the "show and tell" I brought my pack loaded with the 20 pounds I carried. To make sure I had the right weight, I weighed myself with it and lo and behold my combined weight - body and pack - on presentation day was almost the same as my own body weight without the pack when I set out for Spain in September.:) It feels great! Doing the happy dance!!!:D

I weighed in at 103 K at the start of my CF, after 42 days I came down to 94K. I have to say that I ate and drank as much as I wanted, but my calorie intake was never going to match what I'd lost daily.
I'm now back to 103K, so this must be my ideal weight. Oh I'm 6 ft and 68 yrs old.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I found the following good for replacing used up calories: Pork rinds (chicharrones - light weight as well :)), cheese, chorizo, tinned pate, tinned sardines or tuna in oil - mix the fish up with the oil - really hits the spot! Olives, dates, nuts. Because of my dietary restrictions (and also because of my medical condition) I couldn't eat until I was done walking for the day. I made sure I kept really well hydrated by drinking plenty of water during walking.

I wasn't particularly overweight when I started, around 7 pounds into the "overweight" range I guess. By the time I arrived at SdC I was well within the normal range - I looked thin and felt really fit and well!

My trip was 6 months and 7 big walks.

When I left home on May 5th I weighed 208 lbs (94 kgs)...

After the first 10 days just on vacation in France I was down to 199 (90 kgs). (That was mostly driving and on trains) weighed on May 13th.

When I finished the Camino about 6 weeks after the start of my trip I weighed 176 lbs (80 kgs) (June 21st weighed).

The least I weighed on the trip (and I have photo evidence) was almost 4 months in and about 4 days into walking the Westweg in Germany I weighed myself at 69 Kilograms (152 lbs). This was on July 27th.

I got home on Nov 5th and weighed about 176 lbs (80 kgs) again having picked up weight later on.

One gent I met, who I walked with a good chunk of the Camino, started at 250 and was down to 214 by the end of the Camino. He was quite tall though, probably 6'2.

It is quite interesting to watch those around you begin to tone up & eat with no concern. Those with food allergies seem to be the most aware. It is good the majority of time folks have access to well stocked pots-n-pans in the kitchens. If you plan on cooking you will run into areas without, so plan on taking a cup you can cook with. Most do not cook. The pilgrim meals are very large & wine never seems to run out.

I am 42 and weighed 132 lbs when I started and 127 lbs when I finished - I walked from Burgos to Santiago in about 3 weeks. I was in decent shape starting out, with a little extra pudge around the middle, like most of us. At the end, I was in good shape with a little less pudge. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I also tried to eat reasonably healthy food and minimize empty calories. Walking burns a lot of calories, so you can pretty much eat whatever you want if you want to because you'll burn it off, but at the same time, the body needs nutrients to fuel the body, not just calories. I've only got so much room for food in my stomach, so I mostly skipped the desserts and pastries to save room for more nutritious stuff.

It is quite interesting to watch those around you begin to tone up & eat with no concern. Those with food allergies seem to be the most aware. It is good the majority of time folks have access to well stocked pots-n-pans in the kitchens. If you plan on cooking you will run into areas without, so plan on taking a cup you can cook with. Most do not cook. The pilgrim meals are very large & wine never seems to run out.

Yes! I always took advantage of having access to a kitchen and boiling myself some eggs up or just sitting in peace with my salad and meat/fish bought from the grocery store. My second camino my Spanish was much better and I could explain my situation a little better - I found the Spanish people to be so kind and obliging - in a couple of places I was cooked a special meal of bacon and tortilla francesa - perfect food for replacing calories lost by walking and totally fine for me to eat :) The Spanish salads are pretty amazing too - an often are served for just the starter but big enough for a main meal in theirselves - I just ignore the bread and pick out the sweetcorn then add lashing of salt and olive oil. Most places were happy to do my fish or meat "a la plancha" (just plain grilled) and I can now ask if the can swap out the chipped potatoes for salad.

Thankfully coffee and wine is not an issue with me :D

Yes! I always took advantage of having access to a kitchen and boiling myself some eggs up or just sitting in peace with my salad and meat/fish bought from the grocery store. My second camino my Spanish was much better and I could explain my situation a little better - I found the Spanish people to be so kind and obliging - in a couple of places I was cooked a special meal of bacon and tortilla francesa - perfect food for replacing calories lost by walking and totally fine for me to eat :) The Spanish salads are pretty amazing too - an often are served for just the starter but big enough for a main meal in theirselves - I just ignore the bread and pick out the sweetcorn then add lashing of salt and olive oil. Most places were happy to do my fish or meat "a la plancha" (just plain grilled) and I can now ask if the can swap out the chipped potatoes for salad.

Thankfully coffee and wine is not an issue with me :D
Yes, we must also put out a warning if you purchase any salad expect olives with pits! I wonder how many foreign visitors must visit a dentist :(

I lost 15lbs (150 to 135lbs) while training for the CF and lost none while hiking it though I did lose 1-2 inches more in my waist. When I walked the Portuguese route I might have gained a few pounds. I like the Spanish food; I love the Portuguese food!

I was losing weight for the year proceeding the Camino (Pamplona to Muxia in 33 days) and was down to 190 lbs when I started. I'm in my 30s and while I ate more than usual, I was watching my intake. I went down two dress sizes, but 'only' 8 lbs. So...4.2%. I was a little shocked but appreciate being stronger and leaner.

Aged 48 just before i left for the camino frances in 2015 i had a GP check up i was around 101.5kg on return i had another check and was 82.5kg . Another plus was my diabetes levels had gone from high to almost zero on the charts the same with my cholesterol levels..i put this down to the exercise and healthier or rather eat little diet i had to be on due to low budget.(i only had maybe 3 pilgrim menus during my camino)Sadly a year on everythings high again but hopefully when i go on camino again next week ill get my body back in order and then try to look after it in future..

AlexanderAZ
I started at 255 pounds and ended at 230 pounds. Having a tough time keeping it off! Walked the CF last Oct.- Nov.

I am 26 pounds total lighter from the day I started training for my first Camino de Santiago walk, from SJPP to SdC.

I am down 18 pounds since last year around this time, since right before my second walk.

Part of this is because I have pre diabetes and began using a medication, though (there are variables, including meds, gender, other factors--always and for everyone).
I'm guessing you also started monitoring your processed sugar intake much more closely with your condition? These are all not only empty calories, but also contribute so heavily to our modern diseases. Unfortunately, so many of us have actual ADDICTIONS to them. I'm hoping to leave mine on the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

AlexanderAZ

I started at StJPP last April at 215 lb. (6 ft. 2 in., 67 years old). I finished at Santiago 40 days later weighing 200 lb. Much to my wife's chagrin, I have gained back the 15 lbs. lost since returning to my sedentary life.

On my three Camino's so far, average weight loss is about 10 lbs. My starting weight is usually around 194 lbs, so 184 lbs when I get home. I am just over 6' 1". I train year round, but my daily training walks of 6 to 8 kilometers don't seem to help me reduce my weight, but then again I don't gain as I would being a couch 'potato.' Also do other core strengthening exercises regularly which I believe help as much as the walking does to prepare for my annual Camino walk.
Do any of you feel bad about leaving all this fat and weight behind in a country as beautiful as Spain? This thread needs a little humor as we discuss a 'first world' problem like body weight.

I don't weigh myself, and being thin to begin with it probably wasn't much. But I definitely lost a few kilos those 40~ days on the Way. How much I really can't tell. Gained almost all of it or all back though in a few months. Which is totally fine.

On my three Camino's so far, average weight loss is about 10 lbs. My starting weight is usually around 194 lbs, so 184 lbs when I get home. I am just over 6' 1". I train year round, but my daily training walks of 6 to 8 kilometers don't seem to help me reduce my weight, but then again I don't gain as I would being a couch 'potato.' Also do other core strengthening exercises regularly which I believe help as much as the walking does to prepare for my annual Camino walk.
Do any of you feel bad about leaving all this fat and weight behind in a country as beautiful as Spain? This thread needs a little humor as we discuss a 'first world' problem like body weight.
Good point. Core and upper body strengthening exercises are just as important as cardio and legs. Upper body strengthening can be achieved without muscle mass.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am in my early sixties and walked the Via de la Plata in April/May covering 500 miles in just over five weeks. I ate and drank as much as I wanted and lost about 25 pounds ( from about 180 pounds), which I put back on over the next nine months.

Like you, I too have a hummingbird metabolism and am already very lean. One of the first things I heard when I returned home was "you're too skinny".

I took a cheap, thin, light grocery type bag and kept my snack/lunch food in it (with stinky cheese in a ziplock bag). I liked the bag because I took it shopping with me when done hiking for the day. The food items I carried were nuts, fruit, bread, cheese, yogurt, chocolate, cookies/breakfast bars, a carton of fruit juice, and sometimes a hard boiled egg.

Here's a food peek...
Yes, I carried a carton of juice:
View attachment 31217
Communal meals:
View attachment 31218 View attachment 31219
Foods to entice you:
View attachment 31223 View attachment 31220 View attachment 31221
Splurge:
View attachment 31224 View attachment 31222

I even drank beer (and I don't do carbonation) because I think it has more calories or carbs or something, it's definitely filling. ;)

Kaixo, people like you shouldn't be allowed in this world :) Not only young and beautiful but can eat anything and nothing happens, lucky metabolism. My experience is that with long distance walking and training you can lose an initial large quantity of body fat (in my case 13 kg) and then it becomes very hard to continue. As always being sensible is the key. For me - fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and just about anything for dinner. And alcohol ONLY at the end of the days walk (well most days). Happy trails

AlexanderAZ
I was 136 kg on the flight over and I weighed in at 120kg 3 weeks after the walk. I'm mail mad approx 178cm tall 60 years old... 16 kg loss go m

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Excellent! You'll have a great trip. I used a small Frio cooling pack to carry insulin. 'Brought way more than I needed but better too much than not enough. I found I was best only taking the Lantus/long acting in the morning and not taking the short acting when walking, but needed it in the afternoon, evening after food and more sedentary. I was very careful about my feet and worried about getting infected in an open blister in community showers, but used kiniesiology tape on potential blisters, (hardly had any) and found if I started early and quit early I was the often the first one in a clean shower. I also brought ten Cliff bars and rationed them through the walk, and carried bananas and chocolate, which are available everywhere. I was surprised that "first" breakfast is only coffee and toast or a pastry. 'Not enough when starting out with a day of walking ahead, so bought yogurt at the markets to eat until second breakfast of tortilla y potata. I started ramping up the miles about this time last year. Try and find some hills, and try and do longer hikes a few days in a row. My time was limited, so never took a day off, averaging 16.5 miles/day. I regret rushing too much. Keeping your pack weight down is all about the feet. Buen Camino!
Thank you - the carb heavy breakfasts had me concerned also, I'll pack a spoon and follow your yogurt advice. I have my little frio cooler and am skilled at hiker blister prevention but hadn't really considered the shower dangers - I'll have to think on that issue. My physician is real excited for me and asked me to send him photos from the Camino = a real vote of confidence. Thanks again.

3 kilos. For a better idea, I started at 75 kg and finished at 72 kg, at a height of 175 cm, F, 41 yrs.
I was not really trying to lose weight, but I was thinking that any loss would be appreciated...
I walked CF in 28 days, one day rest in Santiago, then 4 more days to Finisterre.
Breakfast on the way, at arrival one beer, menu del dia early in the evening, always with a bottle of wine...

AlexanderAZ
I was 58 yrs in 2010 and female. Height 5' 4". I started training e.g. Walking with full pack in the Dec. I weighed 97kilos. I started my walk camino SJPD to Santiago on 25th May and finished About 3rd July. I then weighed in at 87kilos. On camino I drank full on coke, coffee con leche and enjoyed all the pilgrim meals with red wine. Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2003 (SJPP to SdC) aged 52 I ended at 196lbs having lost 28lbs
2012 (Pamplona to SdC) aged 61 I ended up at 229lbs having lost 23lbs
2016 (Pamplona to SdC) aged 65 ended at 266lbs lost 18lbs on Camino but additional 14lbs in the previous month while training

Have put on a LOT of weight since 2010 mainly due to medication and sedentary lifestyle.

Would have lost more last year but because it was so hot in August/September last year we were setting out earlier, arriving at our destination by lunchtime and having large lunches - my companion was able to eat a full plato combinado by that time and I matched her patata frita for patata frita :( Even so by the end of the hiking day I usually had least 3000 calories in hand (if I wanted to maintain that day's body weight).

Back in the office again and the weather is rubbish and the pounds are creeping back on so might just have to do the Camino again . . . .

One of my delights in walking the Camino is the chance to enjoy the local cheeses, the breads and to indulge in a daily coke without guilt. My walking clothes do get loose. But, by the time I arrive back home I'm back to starting weight. I'm not a fast walker and my days are usually around 20 Km. on average. I've heard of people gaining, but that's usually the exception, I believe.

Here's a food peek...

This was very helpful, thank you fellow hummingbird!! I've resigned to allowing for significant extra weight and space in my pack so that I can return home looking healthy. How easy was (is) it to resupply en route? How frequently can I plan to resupply my grocery bag? Are there places to do so in each town? only major towns?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I doubt I could have, We ate breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, late lunch and dinner. All this interspersed with coffee stops and pastries. We were burning about 6000 cals per day, I don't know what our intake was but it was high. Maybe 88 kilos is my ideal body weight, that weight you drop to when exercising a lot, but will drop no further.
At 193 centimeters (6'4") I consider 88k (13.85 stone) a bit too light, 92k (14.5 st.) is my comfortable weight.

Wayfarer, if you suspect your were burning 6k cals/day any idea what you were burning prior to the Camino? I'm trying to gauge how much of an increase I can anticipate. Thanks.

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. Much appreciate the input! :)

AlexanderAZ

Wayfarer, if you suspect your were burning 6k cals/day any idea what you were burning prior to the Camino? I'm trying to gauge how much of an increase I can anticipate. Thanks.
Well if Fitbits are anything to go by, I would say about 3.5 - 4k-cals which is what I burn on an average day with a 7km brisk walk thrown in.
When I walked I knew nothing about k-cals or any of that stuff but a couple of nurses who also did a lot of training told us we would burn 6+ k-cals per day due to distance, temprature and weight carried.

I started my Camino at 120 pounds and gained about 5-8 pounds of muscle over the 3 months I walked. I probably lost a couple pounds in the first week or two, mostly because my body wasn't used to taking in enough calories (that changed fast!)

Great food and endless exercise! I've never been so fit in my life, or fulfilled.

I was a 60 year old male weighing 93 - 94 kg, height 188cm. I lost 10 - 11kg on the Camino Francais with no intention and no hardship, ate and drank all I wanted. Walk duration was 45 days, so was a relaxed pace but we carried our packs 10kg plus water.
3 months later I find that I still have a greater appetite for exercise each day, that I like to eat food close to Spanish diet and salads, that I still eat and drink all I want but seek less sugar and salt than before and almost no take-away.
I have gained 2 kg in the 3 months since returning, part is loss of muscle and part is extra fat, I think.
On the walk I found muscles appearing that I didn't know I had (those little ones in front of collar bones that carry your pack) and all the fat disappeared from my legs, then my bum, then my back but my belly was reduced but not eliminated. Other muscles not used so much were reduced as well.
The rest of the body improved and worked better - this is such a great fitness retreat and doesn't cost anything. Slept better, thinking better, happier.
Plus the whole Camino experience - I met so many people who had a teaching for me, seemed that everyone I liked or disliked was sent there for a reason. And you get plenty of time on the walk to think through these lessons, very introspective, walking meditation.
Of course my own reactions were my second set of teachers. Not always praiseworthy but sometimes heroic, sometimes comedy.

>>
I saw an old lady trying to open a church door and went to help her, we had no language in common but I showed her with a mighty wrench it could be easily opened.
She heaped abuse (I think) upon my head, my wife reckons that the lady was closing the church for mid day and did not appreciate another pilgrim trying to force his way in and delay her lunch.
I left much chastened and reflected on my decision not to rescue the fish that the man in Hong Kong had discarded upon the wharf to drown in air (my wife said later that he had caught it)
>>

Richard

Oohhh everyone was on the normal to light side, hoping I am not the only bigger person hiking along
I am a "big" person and I have walked two Caminos. The first I was well trained, and had very little physical issues even with carrying an extra 60 pounds. The second, I had foot issues while training that prevented getting in the shape I was the first time and I was 4 years older (65). So I scaled back the amount of k's per day, and hobbled with achilles tendentious until a sweet man who was a physical trainer massaged a magic liniment on my leg. I wish I had stopped and gotten a massage sooner!

You will run into every size and shape and if you train and listen to your body you will be fine. If you can walk 15 k comfortably while training don't expect to walk 25k on the Camino! The everyday walking catches up but you get stronger everyday.

Take a jet lag day, walk in a relaxed manner (this means don't rush your schedule and leave plenty of time for rest days and short days), and enjoy the path because it is up and down on every level, but goes so fast.

And to the original poster, I lost 1.5 pounds, but gained a lot of muscle.

Are we the only people to have put on 2kg each? In just 2 weeks, at 20-25km a day!
This year (full Camino) we will not assume we can eat anything we like. The unaccustomed carby diet was the killer...

AlexanderAZ

Confession: I just don't eat French fries at home...no way, nada nope... but I ate them pretty much every time I ordered the Pilgrim's Menu. Need I say more? Just read between the lines!

For me, walking the Camino had nothing to do with losing/gaining weight. It was a mentally fulfilling experience; the food was actually incidental.

I hope your Camino is fulfilling in more ways than losing weight. I am certain you have many reasons for taking on this challenge and wish you well. You will be forever touched by the people you meet and the spirit of the Camino itself.

Confession: I just don't eat French fries at home...no way, nada nope... but I ate them pretty much every time I ordered the Pilgrim's Menu. Need I say more? Just read between the lines!

For me, walking the Camino had nothing to do with losing/gaining weight. It was a mentally fulfilling experience; the food was actually incidental.

I hope your Camino is fulfilling in more ways than losing weight. I am certain you have many reasons for taking on this challenge and wish you well. You will be forever touched by the people you meet and the spirit of the Camino itself.

Thanks for your post. Consider yourself lucky if food and your weight was incidental to your Camino experience. It won't be to mine or others who consume significant calories daily at home and struggle to keep weight on. Not being cognizant of weight would have us returning from the Camino looking and feeling like a sick hiker who has spent too much time in the woods.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started around 189 pounds. I didn't really check my weight right before leaving so this is just a guess. I came back at 167, though I couldn't weight myself until a few days after arriving home. So I lost 22 pounds, or 10 kilos exact. My legs were definitely more toned! My arms felt better as well because I had used walking poles, moving them more than I usually do.

Also, I wanted to add that I didn't eat as healthy as I should have. After the first week, I typically had a can of coke each night just for managing to make it!

I am a "big" person and I have walked two Caminos. The first I was well trained, and had very little physical issues even with carrying an extra 60 pounds. The second, I had foot issues while training that prevented getting in the shape I was the first time and I was 4 years older (65). So I scaled back the amount of k's per day, and hobbled with achilles tendentious until a sweet man who was a physical trainer massaged a magic liniment on my leg. I wish I had stopped and gotten a massage sooner!

You will run into every size and shape and if you train and listen to your body you will be fine. If you can walk 15 k comfortably while training don't expect to walk 25k on the Camino! The everyday walking catches up but you get stronger everyday.

Take a jet lag day, walk in a relaxed manner (this means don't rush your schedule and leave plenty of time for rest days and short days), and enjoy the path because it is up and down on every level, but goes so fast.

And to the original poster, I lost 1.5 pounds, but gained a lot of muscle.
That "magic linament" wouldn't have been Arnica, would it? My daughter and I will be walking our first Camino in a few months, and I was considering bringing Arnica in both gel and pellet forms for the inevitable muscle strains. Wasn't sure of it would be worth the extra weight and space in my pack, though.

That "magic linament" wouldn't have been Arnica, would it? My daughter and I will be walking our first Camino in a few months, and I was considering bringing Arnica in both gel and pellet forms for the inevitable muscle strains. Wasn't sure of it would be worth the extra weight and space in my pack, though.
Nbryne611, I was told about Woodlock on another forum as I suffer a lot from aches and pains every night. It seriously is the most wonderful thing I have ever had - so much so that I have not had to take pain meds at night - it is for Rheumatoid Arthritis (which I don't have) but I can honestly (hand on heart) tell you when my back, knees or ankles start aching and it forces me to get up after midnight - I rub it on and 10mins later I can fall asleep - it seems to soothe the nerve endings and stop the ache/pain without burning or irritating skin areas. I cannot remember who told me they used it for shin splints,on their feet and shoulders everytime they hiked - I could kiss them :D

AlexanderAZ
I walked the Camino Frances in Sept 2015 & started in good shape (I'm 5'8" and was 151lbs), and ended up losing something like 3-4 pounds, which was surprising because I ate like a queen the entire time. If there was a café with good bocadillo or homemade egg something or other, we ate it--I always needed a good breakfast & café con leche to start the walk. And don't miss the Jesus Bakery at the first town past Santo Domingo (name escapes me)--delicious little almond cookies to snack on along the way. This was fun for me because I generally live a Weight Watchers lifestyle, so it was great to let go and just enjoy the surrounding culture and all the regional foods: pinchos, pulpo etc. If you're on an aggressive schedule with a lot of daily mileage like I was (had to be back to work in 30 days), you need to eat, so enjoy!

AlexanderAZ
When I started in Jean Pied de Port I weighed 68 Kg When I returned home 7 weeks later I weighed 61 Kg

Nbryne611, I was told about Woodlock on another forum as I suffer a lot from aches and pains every night. It seriously is the most wonderful thing I have ever had - so much so that I have not had to take pain meds at night - it is for Rheumatoid Arthritis (which I don't have) but I can honestly (hand on heart) tell you when my back, knees or ankles start aching and it forces me to get up after midnight - I rub it on and 10mins later I can fall asleep - it seems to soothe the nerve endings and stop the ache/pain without burning or irritating skin areas. I cannot remember who told me they used it for shin splints,on their feet and shoulders everytime they hiked - I could kiss them :D
Thank you for this! I'll look for it at my natural store.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this! I'll look for it at my natural store.
Go straight to ebay and buy it from China the original source I was told - comes in a glass bottle with small opening spout to prevent overuse and they discount for buying 2 or more and with free postage and handling.

In complete truth, last Summer, I was overweight, 243 lb. at 63. This. (not pack weight), caused my IT Band injury and stopped my walk after only three days. I am losing up to 100 lb. but would be able to schedule a return once I am down to 160 to 180 lb. My pack will be smaller and lighter as well.

For me, I was not on the Camino long enough to see a weight change. There was not enough time to get enough muscle / fat transfer to make a difference.

Condition yourself more than you think you will need. A day's walking at home may not be as hard as the Camino due to rise and fall along the path. If you do the full first stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles, the climb is 1,000 m and the fall is (help me here), 600 or 800m. Only the very fit complete the 28 km of the Napolean Way, from what I saw.

AlexanderAZ
Hmmm...lots of walking, you toned up. Lost 2 kg an added bonus, but then I weigh only 54 kg. And not a heavy eater or drink alcohol. And losing weight was not intentional. Buen Camino

We never lost an ounce, but god, we had a good time!

AlexanderAZ
"Let's not, and say we did." Lol. Actually I'd say I am a small to medium size woman and I lost 10 lbs on my first Camino, but only 5 lbs on my second one, although it was one week shorter. That must be the reason... or possibly the fact that I was far less disciplined in my eating habits 2nd time around. :)

I lost 6kg walking the Camino over six weeks. Went from 62kg to 56kg. The problem is carrying 10% of my body weight on my next Camino in September. Won't be taking much.

4 weeks each day around 18 km pilgrimage on the CF drinking just water, KAS, Coffee with poco de leche and no Coffee con leche, eating over the day only one banana, one apple and some nuts and my Pilgrim Dinner or Pixtos in the evening with wine I lost 8,5 kg.
But I have to tell - loosing weight was a goal, but my hardly wish was my pilgrimage- my camino.
When I finished I checked my weight every week and kept it. Now Mid of May I am so happy to start with the same weight as I returned from the Camino, which means I lost the same weight as my backpack was.
I am female started with 82 kg and finised with 73,5 kg and I am 1,73 m tall. So happy!
I any one wants to loose weight and walk and enjoy all the the miracles at the own camino
- it works.

Last edited:
I think it depends a lot on what and why you eat pre Camino / pilgrimage, and how fit you are at the start.
At home I tend to end up being 5+ kilos above what I call my best and preferred weight. At times I am a bit of an emotional eater and can make food choices that aren’t the best.
On Camino I am physically active / sometimes challenged, focussed, mostly happy, and busy (walking). I don’t do emotional eating and can’t snack all day because I only carry the right amount of food for my needs. I try and choose healthy dinners. Both my Caminos have been 4-6 weeks and left me fitter, healthier and with those extra 5+ kilos gone.
As per another reply I think that losing the emotional weight is more important - and will also lead to losing excess physical weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back