• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Letter from the Pope to a fifteen-year-old Spanish guy

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomas

Time of past OR future Camino
VF many times. Monaco-Lindau '15. Ass '17. CF '18.
the source is an article in the Vatican City newspaper "Osservatore", dated July 25th.
Despite my shaky religious balance, I liked the Pope's gesture.
I have not found the English version and here I publish the essential parts of the article (sorry immediately for inaccuracies in the translation).

"In the midst of the pandemic we are experiencing, with your sincerity, joy and simplicity, you managed to set in motion the hope of many people »: these words are worth more of the «Compostela», the document which certifies the pilgrimage to the tomb of the Apostle St. Giacomo, because they come directly from the Pope.
Francis has written them in his own hand in Spanish, in a letter addressed to Alvaro C ****, fifteen year old from Malaga suffering from intellectual disability. Despite the difficulties in fact the young man he walked some days ago
stages of the "Camino de Santiago", starting from Sarria in the company of father and a friend of family.
A witness of lived faith, which proved contagious by offering a positive example to imitate in these times of tendency towards isolation due to covid-19.
Published on the website www.diocesismalaga.es, the Pontiff's handwritten letter is a certificate of gratitude and encouragement. «Dear Alvaro - he written by Casa Santa Marta last July 20 - I received a letter from your dad telling me that you have finished the Camino de Santiago and that you have brought the intentions not only yours, but also of many people who “joined a te ”in the pilgrimage, wondering prayers".
“Thanks for having us encouraged to walk and to have invited so many others to walk with you "continued Francis, underlining how Alvaro moved many in making the pilgrimage other people to set out, urging them "not to be afraid" and a rediscover the joy of being together. After all, the Pope pointed out, “we do not go along the road never alone », because - he assured - «Jesus always walks to our side ".
Hence the final thanks from the Bishop of Rome - "for the testimony and prayers" of the young Spanish - accompanied by the blessing, by an invocation to the Madonna by Carmelo and the unfailing invitation to pray for him too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
the source is an article in the Vatican City newspaper "Osservatore", dated July 25th.
Despite my shaky religious balance, I liked the Pope's gesture.
I have not found the English version and here I publish the essential parts of the article (sorry immediately for inaccuracies in the translation).

"In the midst of the pandemic we are experiencing, with your sincerity, joy and simplicity, you managed to set in motion the hope of many people »: these words are worth more of the «Compostela», the document which certifies the pilgrimage to the tomb of the Apostle St. Giacomo, because they come directly from the Pope.
Francis has written them in his own hand in Spanish, in a letter addressed to Alvaro C ****, fifteen year old from Malaga suffering from intellectual disability. Despite the difficulties in fact the young man he walked some days ago
stages of the "Camino de Santiago", starting from Sarria in the company of father and a friend of family.
A witness of lived faith, which proved contagious by offering a positive example to imitate in these times of tendency towards isolation due to covid-19.
Published on the website www.diocesismalaga.es, the Pontiff's handwritten letter is a certificate of gratitude and encouragement. «Dear Alvaro - he written by Casa Santa Marta last July 20 - I received a letter from your dad telling me that you have finished the Camino de Santiago and that you have brought the intentions not only yours, but also of many people who “joined a te ”in the pilgrimage, wondering prayers".
“Thanks for having us encouraged to walk and to have invited so many others to walk with you "continued Francis, underlining how Alvaro moved many in making the pilgrimage other people to set out, urging them "not to be afraid" and a rediscover the joy of being together. After all, the Pope pointed out, “we do not go along the road never alone », because - he assured - «Jesus always walks to our side ".
Hence the final thanks from the Bishop of Rome - "for the testimony and prayers" of the young Spanish - accompanied by the blessing, by an invocation to the Madonna by Carmelo and the unfailing invitation to pray for him too.

Jomas
Thank you for sharing this most special story

Here is a link to that page

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beautiful and touching. From the English language version it sounds like he walked from St. Jean, in stages. As Pope Francis says, an inspiration to many.

No ... I think he walked from Sarria. 😊
To follow up, here's the actual text from the article: "The young pilgrim and his father chronicled their 62-mile trek, which began in the northwestern Spanish city of Sarria, covering the final leg of a journey that many begin nearly 500 miles earlier, through the mountains in France. "

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It doesn't matter where he started. He went to worship at the tomb of the apostle. That's the definition of pilgrimage, no matter how long or short his journey, whatever his means of transport. The distance and doing it on foot is only important if you want the paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back