• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Letters to the Editor in Sydney

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Each to their own path

Maxine Hardinge correctly notes that travel on Europe's Camino is for reflection and mindfulness, not merely reaching a destination (Traveller Letters, February 9-10). The world has diversified since early pilgrims started walking: people seek experiences to match their own frame of reference and capacity, not just to be "authentic" to ancient intentions. You can walk any distance, alone or in groups, take a bike or wheelchair along some sections of the Camino. The chance to be mindful or clear the mind, walking in a beautiful ancient setting, should not be restricted to those fit or robust enough to do it the hard or ancient way.

- Deborah Rhodes
Check your pilgrimage privilege

My husband and I walked the final 120 kilometres of the Camino, from Sarria to Santiago di Compostela. At 72, we're a bit past "privation" and "stripping one's life down to essential needs" (Traveller Letters, February 9-10), so, yes, we used small hotels and had our luggage transported for us. That said, we were always mindful of our journey and the thousands of pilgrims in whose footsteps we were walking. We made new friends and enjoyed meeting like-minded people from all over the world. I wonder what Maxine Hardinge thought of the lycra-clad cyclists roaring along the Camino.

- Wendy Brophy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back