• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Levante March 2019

Rosser

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 and '15
Camino Portuguese from Porto ''15
Via De la Plata '16
Camino Primitivo '16
Le Puy Camino '17?
I am considering walking the Camino de Levante in March of 2019 as I want to avoid the heat of late spring and summer. I am a bit nervous about taking it on as I understand that it can be quite a solitary walk. I would welcome company on this walk if only for a week or two, until I get into the swing of it, so to speak. I have walked the Via de LA Plata, Frances, Primitive and most of the Del Norte previously. My email address was deleted by moderators if anyone is interested and wants to contact me. Tom

NOTE from the mods: We routinely delete private email addresses. It’s just not a good idea to post them for all the world to see, those tech savvy people tell us. Anyone who wants to contact Tom, please use the “Start a Conversation” function up top on the right where it says inbox. You can exchange email addresses privately that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am considering walking the Camino de Levante in March of 2019 as I want to avoid the heat of late spring and summer. I am a bit nervous about taking it on as I understand that it can be quite a solitary walk. I would welcome company on this walk if only for a week or two, until I get into the swing of it, so to speak. I have walked the Via de LA Plata, Frances, Primitive and most of the Del Norte previously. My email address is tommaher98@hotmail.com if anyone is interested and wants to contact me. Tom
Hi, Tom,

First of all you don't have to post your e-mail address on open forum. There's PM option if someone wants to send you a message.
Secondly you can contact forum member Jeal-Luc (@JLWV ) who is with Valencia Amigos de Levante Asociacion. He will surely have a lot of first hand info. Enjoy this beautiful (although solitary) Camino!

Buen Camino!

Hi Tom,
My partner Barrie and I will be starting this on Feb 6th from Valencia so feel free to get in touch. I'll try to touch base here on a regular basis.

cheers,
Donna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tom,
My partner Barrie and I will be starting this on Feb 6th from Valencia so feel free to get in touch. I'll try to touch base here on a regular basis.

cheers,
Donna
Hi, Donna,

I remember your postings from VdlP. Will you do something similar this time also?
I walked Levante but it's always nice to revoke some memories ;)

K1

Absolutely. The musings of a second-camino peregrina with a non-Spanish speaking first timer who has no idea what he has signed himself up for. At the tail end of winter.
"Dear, would you mind if we walked all the way to Algemesi on the first day...it's just 38 km?"
Must say this will be a bit less random than last time. Researching accommodation options in much more detail so that if we need to reward ourselves with a nicer room after a yucky day, I know what the options are. The challenge of this camino for me is having to do most/all of the talking with the locals and dealing with winter. I really don't like mud and rain especially cold rain. The challenge for him is that he can't be the social butterfly he normally is and he has to put up with me!

Thank you Donna for replying, I am retired so if I decide to do this walk I can easily bring my starting date forward. Thank you too K1 for that information. I'm not too au fait with the workings of this site as I mostly just read posts .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started my Levante in early May and had great weather, so I think there is typically some window before it gets stifling hot. The advantage of a slightly later spring start is the wildflowers and green fields. It is, as others have said, a very solitary walk. Between Valencia and Santiago, I think I came across two or three cyclists (one of whom scared the wits out of me when he entered the albergue in Algemesí at midnight) and two or three walkers. My saving grace was connecting with two French pilgrims on day 3 or 4, hitting it off, and walking with them all the way into Santiago. I have walked a lot of solitary caminos, and would have enjoyed it anyway, but the company at the end of the day was really nice. So I think you have to be prepared for solitude.

Thank you for that information Peregrina 2000. It sure sounds like a solitary walk!!
I don't like crowds but neither do I like to be completely alone for long stretches and I do like a bit of company in the evening to share a meal with.
It would be nice I think to meet a few fellow travellers at the start if possible.
Tom

Absolutely. The musings of a second-camino peregrina with a non-Spanish speaking first timer who has no idea what he has signed himself up for. At the tail end of winter.
"Dear, would you mind if we walked all the way to Algemesi on the first day...it's just 38 km?"
Must say this will be a bit less random than last time. Researching accommodation options in much more detail so that if we need to reward ourselves with a nicer room after a yucky day, I know what the options are. The challenge of this camino for me is having to do most/all of the talking with the locals and dealing with winter. I really don't like mud and rain especially cold rain. The challenge for him is that he can't be the social butterfly he normally is and he has to put up with me!
I don't know if it will be rainy. Maybe after few days a bit inland but I do remember sometimes in the winter I checked temps for Valencia - 18C and we had minus that!!!

First day to Algemesi all on tarmac, don't think that's wise idea. Better start in the Mediterranean Sea and walk along nice promenade or former river bed now dried to Cathedral.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for that information Peregrina 2000. It sure sounds like a solitary walk!!
I don't like crowds but neither do I like to be completely alone for long stretches and I do like a bit of company in the evening to share a meal with.
It would be nice I think to meet a few fellow travellers at the start if possible.
Tom

Hi, Tom,
One thing to keep in mind is that even if you do meet up with a few peregrinos at the start or along the way, the odds are high that you will not Have the same walking rhythms. When I met my French pals, I realized I had a choice — either increase my kms to coincide with their long stages or walk alone. In hindsight it was a very lucky coincidence, because I realized that, hey, I really love walking stages of 35-40. After ten years of walking caminos at the more or less average distances, I had no idea I would enjoy or could handle these longer stages. I’m sure that the aging process will kick in to bring those distances back down, but for now I am so happy I met those French peregrinos!

Thanks Peregrina ,
I hadn't factored my walking pace into my calculations!!
I know i can do 30-35k per day as I had to do this on the Via de La Plata and sometimes even more.
Even if I meet with faster walkers I would be happy if we were hitting the same destinations despite me arriving in maybe an hour later

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back